Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #6181
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Lift stand

viper770, thank goodness you didn't post pics of your butt

What's the best/least expensive lift/stand for home wheel removal, ect?

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #6182
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
viper770, thank goodness you didn't post pic of your butt

milk crate?

Personally I use one of these bike lifts

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #6183
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #6184
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I built wooden stand. And a wood table to get em up to work height, hoist from garage rafters.

Sent from mobile
Old 03-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #6185
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
milk crate?

Personally I use one of these bike lifts

And that bike lift would be..........

I'm talking about a single person getting a rather porky DS bike with one or the other wheel of the ground. Yeah you can use a Home Depot bucket, if you've got another person handy....

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #6186
OBIWAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Testing for Ethanol in Fuel

I know of two ways to check for ethanol in fuel. I use an aircraft fuel tester. You can get these online for about $5 or just stop by a small airport and buy one. Make sure it’s marked in ounces. These test work because ethanol and water mix.

1. Put 1 oz. water in and then fill to 10 oz. gas. If all the water is gone then you have about 10% ethanol . If only half the water is gone then you have about 5% ethanol . If no water is gone then you have pure gas.

OR

2. Put a few drops of food coloring in tester. Add gas. If gas changes in the direction of the food color then you have ethanol. If you have pure gas then the food coloring should just be in a small ball(s) in the bottom.
nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither
victory nor defeat. ------Theodore Roosevelt.

OBIWAN screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 01:02 PM
OBIWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #6187
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,365
Quote:
And that bike lift would be..........

I'm talking about a single person getting a rather porky DS bike with one or the other wheel of the ground. Yeah you can use a Home Depot bucket, if you've got another person handy....
I was only sort of teasing with the milk crate idea. No different than an actual dirt bike stand, which we used to use when our kids were into dirt biking. It's not hard to lift onto a stand, you place the stand beside the bike, grab both front forks at the bottom and lift/tilt the bike on the back wheel like it's doing a wheelie. Take on step sideways and lower onto the stand. I've done the same with both of our DRs, my wifes DR200 and my DR650 but will just grab the moto stand and jack them up now. They don't lift high enough to get the back wheel off the ground so I just use a 2x4 under each frame rail to get the wheel high enough.

As for which stand to buy, I can't help there. I just bought my two from the local Canadian Tire store, also see them in Costco quite often. Harbor Freight usually carry them as well. Post your address, phone number and credit card and I can order one up for you.

stands in action

no I didn't lift this one onto the crate, it's just front heavy without the rear wheel on
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #6188
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
...What's the best/least expensive lift/stand for home wheel removal, ect?
I don't know if it's the best, but I like my Tusk Adjustable Lift Stand.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...erm=bike+stand

Spin the top to adjust the desired height for the stand, steady the bike with your hands, and step on the lever to raise the bike.

For rear wheel maintenance, drive chain maintenance, and stabilizing the bike in an upright position for any other maintenance, I enjoy the convenience of a swingarm stand. I happen to own a T-Rex stand, but many others are available.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #6189
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhompin45 View Post
Hey viper how does that wr250r do on the street? Will it cruse at high speed say 70? I have heard that its great for off road and some street but not great. and I have also heard that its great for both. I really love the look of them.
It is not great. Problem is, nothing else is either!

The WRR does highway speeds OK, though without snap in reserve. With somewhat aggressive tires, handling is of course below street bike standards. I suspect the WRX or a WRR with street-oriented DS tires would be a pretty smooth performer.

If my lottery ticket is a good one, in my dual-sport stable, I'd have an EXC350/500 (test ride req'd), and a DR650 with suspension work. Until then, the WRR is a good compromise as a do it all dual sport.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #6190
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
I have this lift and like it. -al

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...lift-2792.html
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #6191
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 252
Lift

Quote:
viper770, thank goodness you didn't post pics of your butt

Most all mentioned are ok. Just make sure you put the jack under the frame so that it sits flat, and on good support.
Some bikes aren't built so they fit the jack lift points.

A good thing to do when using a center lift, is to put a large (3/4" thick) plywood down under the bike and stand. Put eye hooks at 4 corners and use tie-downs to keep bike from tipping off the jack. Gives you piece of mind, and much safer if you have to do any "jiggling" to get things done.
Important if you only remove one tire, and unballance the bike.
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #6192
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhompin45 View Post
Hey viper how does that wr250r do on the street? Will it cruse at high speed say 70? I have heard that its great for off road and some street but not great. and I have also heard that its great for both. I really love the look of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
It is not great. Problem is, nothing else is either!

The WRR does highway speeds OK, though without snap in reserve. With somewhat aggressive tires, handling is of course below street bike standards. I suspect the WRX or a WRR with street-oriented DS tires would be a pretty smooth performer.

If my lottery ticket is a good one, in my dual-sport stable, I'd have an EXC350/500 (test ride req'd), and a DR650 with suspension work. Until then, the WRR is a good compromise as a do it all dual sport.
I have a WR250R and I think it's great too. However, there are a few things that need to be placed into perspective here. Like what does one consider to be highway speeds? For me - highways speeds hover around 65 mph. Partly because around here - anything faster will net you a ticket, and nobody I ride with enjoys riding faster than that anyway. At those speeds, my WR250R (with 47T rear sprocket) will rocket past highway traffic faster than a 250cc single has any right to - and it keeps on pulling hard far past legal speeds here. I have no doubt that it can cruise fine at 70 mph. Most online magazines list a top speed of 90 mph. Last spring when riding with some others north of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, I was overtaking traffic with so much gusto that the Suzuki DR800 big rider behind me later commented that it looked like my bike had as much jump as a KLR650. He asked me if I was dropping it into 5th. Nope. I was keeping it in 6th. When I later checked the power to weight ratios of both bikes from online motorcycle magazine dyno figures - both were remarkably close in power to weight.

Is it faster than most big bikes? Of course not. It is a 250cc single for Pete's sake (anyone who doesn't understand this should read the previous line several times over). It can't do miracles. Is it fast for a 250? Hell yes!! I've never ridden a 250cc road-going single with that kind of power (almost 28 hp at the rear-wheel) according to Motorcycle.com's dyno (click link below).

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/quarterliter-supermoto-shootout-87985.html

And watch the supermoto version embarrass the Ninja 250 twin in the quarter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cOblGBCKsE&feature=player_embedded

And at 65 mph I can get 58 mpg (U.S) out on the highway, fully loaded with tail bag and saddles. And even better in town. It isn't a featherweight. But at 299 lbs wet - it's relatively lightweight for a dual-sport. Compared to a KLR650 - it gets better fuel economy, apparently similar acceleration, boasts fuel-injection, and weighs about 130 lbs less - which helps when you want to do any "real" trail riding.

Is the WR250R perfect? Of course not. But I'm unaware of any bike licenced for the street that is as reliable (26,000 mile valve adjustment intervals), gets such good fuel economy, is that well suspended, is as lightweight, and has that much hp. It is damned expensive though. That certainly is one big drawback for many.

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 07:33 AM
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #6193
djvx
Ride Safe!

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
on the the street it is awsome and on the highway it does great if there no cops around ill cruise all day long at 80 mph and she does not complan most the time it dont even feel like your going 80 and on the dirt even more fun omg i so wish i would have got one of these years ago and i do long trips with it actully i do long trips on it all the time i been on trips with it out to sand dunes national park in colorado and thats of over 700 miles away for me at lest the route i take even does great when i have it loaded down with my camping gear cause its way cheaper to camp out and alot more relaxing but this bike is great it does every thing my klr650 will do just alot better and its it even faster than my klr650 the only thing the klr does better is you can put a ton of stuff on the klr and it has a longer gas range than the wr BUT im going to change that when i put a bigger gas tank on the wr im sorry man im just so in love with this bike does every thing very well i think the seat is comfy i have had my butt on it for over 8 to 13 hours some days and my butt is just fine
Holy shit that's a long sentence.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #6194
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
uh yea one of these days ill learn to use Punctuation
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #6195
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 574
Honestly the biggest problem with the WR250R is the price . For the money your are quickly approaching the price of a 650 or 2 lesser 250s . I paid 3200 for my 09 sherpa brand new , the same dealer was asking 6000 for a WR250 and 6900 for a left over klr650 . If money isnt a concern the WR is the best option on the market I think here in the US . Ive heard several guys getting really good deals on the honda 250 which I think is a real good value for the money .

On a different note are most 250s set up from the factory set up for lighter riders like the sherpa is ? Taking my forks apart today to see if I can get it a bit more fat American friendly .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote