Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #6211
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,812
I wanted one too. I wish Harbor Frt would offer them, so they'd be cheap & available locally.

It's crazy that nobody sells them in the US. I wonder if the design is patented?
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #6212
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I wanted one too. I wish Harbor Frt would offer them, so they'd be cheap & available locally.

It's crazy that nobody sells them in the US. I wonder if the design is patented?
Well, I'm sure HF has "bean counters" too. How many could they sell? We here are generally innovative, I think, compared to cage people. We make "brake snakes" out of used guitar strings and such. Still, someone with a machine shop could use making them into a side business, any takers?

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #6213
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkkw View Post
A few months ago on this thread was a discussion of a tire installation tool which I think was being made in Australia but I might be wrong about that.

It seems the last thread said he was moving his house so the production stopped.

Does anyone know the story about this?

There is another thread about a group buy of a similar tool made in Estonia. The group buy is now closed.

So that brings up the similar tool on this thread.

That gentleman was also a regular poster on the China Riders forum, but I haven't seen him post anywhere for quite some time. Indeed, that's a nifty little tool. Nevertheless, I still prefer to change tires using the methods I learned from Jay Clarke.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #6214
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
That gentleman was also a regular poster on the China Riders forum, but I haven't seen him post anywhere for quite some time. Indeed, that's a nifty little tool. Nevertheless, I still prefer to change tires using the methods I learned from Jay Clarke.

Spud
Great post, as usual Spud. When I did my front, I used the disc rotor to put the tire irons under, last dirt bike I did had drum brakes, so I couldn't do that. Definitely better to learn to do this at home, makes it easier to do it "out there someplace".

Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #6215
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

I wish all of my motorcycle tires would wear out at the same time, because the second one is always easier. I can't imagine how easy the 6th, 8th, etc.. would be.

It's all the "little things" (that you always seem to forget!) which make changing tires easy.

It's great to have YouTube to refer to after busting knuckles, cussing, and down to your last beer!

In the "old days" we just had to go get more beer and keep on cussin' !
Old 03-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #6216
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I wish all of my motorcycle tires would wear out at the same time, because the second one is always easier. I can't imagine how easy the 6th, 8th, etc.. would be.

It's all the "little things" (that you always seem to forget!) which make changing tires easy.

It's great to have YouTube to refer to after busting knuckles, cussing, and down to your last beer!

In the "old days" we just had to go get more beer and keep on cussin' !
You obviously have too few motorcycles. Or if not enough ride time, let me use em, I'll wear the tires out for you.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #6217
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
You obviously have too few motorcycles. Or if not enough ride time, let me use em, I'll wear the tires out for you.

I've got a bunch of em' with worn out back tires....I can make you a good deal! (My wife made me stop drinking & cussing.....so now I just go buy a'nuther bike when they git slick..., But they last twice as long since I kaint ride on Sundys anymor. )

I really would like to get one of them tire gizmos.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #6218
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I've got a bunch of em' with worn out back tires....I can make you a good deal! (My wife made me stop drinking & cussing.....so now I just go buy a'nuther bike when they git slick..., But they last twice as long since I kaint ride on Sundys anymor. )

I really would like to get one of them tire gizmos.
They are pretty slick, kinda forgot about them.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #6219
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
I saw a thread somewhere recently about tire changing. They cut the old one off with a hacksaw. Then to mount the new one, they wrapped a half dozen long zipties around the tire, which holds the beads together, and it just slipped right on. -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #6220
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 214
Thanks for the wr250r feedback! I realize its only a 250 that's what I have now and I ask a lot out of it but for what it is it does great. I figured this would be a good place to ask. It seems everyone I talk to has this need for big cc bikes. I realize they have there place but I have never had anything fast before and I'm ok with that. Compared to my 92 wrangler with 260000 miles my tu250 seems fast to me anyways. It won't be for a while but I would like to get a dual sport sometime in the future and I like to plan ahead and see my options. I had looked at the klx650 and dr650 also but I eliminated the klx due to weight. The xr650 is nice but I don't like the seat. I wish I could find a wr250 to look at they must not sell many the dealers don't have any around here.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #6221
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhompin45 View Post
Thanks for the wr250r feedback! I realize its only a 250 that's what I have now and I ask a lot out of it but for what it is it does great. I figured this would be a good place to ask. It seems everyone I talk to has this need for big cc bikes. I realize they have there place but I have never had anything fast before and I'm ok with that. Compared to my 92 wrangler with 260000 miles my tu250 seems fast to me anyways. It won't be for a while but I would like to get a dual sport sometime in the future and I like to plan ahead and see my options. I had looked at the klx650 and dr650 also but I eliminated the klx due to weight. The xr650 is nice but I don't like the seat. I wish I could find a wr250 to look at they must not sell many the dealers don't have any around here.
If you think you might be leaning toward a 650cc bike - take a look at the Husqvarna TR650 Terra. Single-cylinder dual sport. Only about $500 more than a KLR650. However, it has about 18 more hp, is equipped with modern fuel-injection, an up-to-date chassis, and weighs less. Probably more fuel efficient too.

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 07:57 AM
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:18 AM   #6222
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,627
+1 on the Husky Strada 650,look around for Big Dog,he went all over on a Wr and now appears to have a Strada,see his take on the it,my local dealer says all the KLR guys are getting a Strada,he is a darn good salesman,and a smartass in a good way!
I see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #6223
Slipinn
DevilDogMarine

Oddometer: 24
New dual sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
+1 on the Husky Strada 650,look around for Big Dog,he went all over on a Wr and now appears to have a Strada,see his take on the it,my local dealer says all the KLR guys are getting a Strada,he is a darn good salesman,and a smartass in a good way!
I have been looking as well. Seems my local dealers here don't have a single dual sport in stock at any of the dealers in this area. I have a 96 xr250l but would like something that does not have to strain so much at interstate speeds. It seems you need a 400cc to do that. The wr is the highest priced in a 250 with more power so in the 250's I think the klx is the best buy so far and might be a little faster on the top than my xr but am betting holding it at 75 for anytime is a strain and near wot.
The DRZ 400s is big jump in price and getting into the price area of a DR or xr650. I am trying to stay light in weight to around 300 to 350 max and closer to 300 or less yet still be able to sustain 75mph if needed with a strong enough frame for touring gear without dealing with rear subframe breaks or cracks.
If the new 250 to 400cc bike I am looking at is bordering 6500 bucks then I am reluctant to spend that kind of cash on it when I could be buying a 650 dr or xr for the same amount.
Slipinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #6224
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
If you think you might be leaning toward a 650cc bike - take a look at the Husqvarna TR650 Strada. Single-cylinder dual sport. Only about $500 more than a KLR650. However, it has about 18 more hp, is equipped with modern fuel-injection, an up-to-date chassis, and weighs less. Probably more fuel efficient too.

Mike
Whoops. I meant to say the TR650 Terra. The Terra is the dual-sport. The Strada is the street-biased version.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #6225
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,627
Whoops your right it is the Terra,my local dealer has both and they look nice,terra would be my choice.Go to BIGDOG adventures he is all over the 650Terra.
I see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is online now   Reply With Quote