Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #6316
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkius View Post

Here is another nx125 with big time fun. went riding today and it was only 33 degrees but that could not stop me from fun
Hey...Is it me or your exhaust is a little lowered?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #6317
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You're welcome. Your XT225 looks great, and the travel trunk looks good mounted on your bike.

Spud
Quick question on the trunk - I ordered a medium and was sure I ordered a matte black, but I got a glossy black. Did you all have any similar choices of matte and glossy, if you recall? I am working with their customer service to sort it out---
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #6318
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermcr View Post
Quick question on the trunk - I ordered a medium and was sure I ordered a matte black, but I got a glossy black. Did you all have any similar choices of matte and glossy, if you recall? I am working with their customer service to sort it out---
I ordered a large trunk, and I believe it was only available in matte black.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #6319
PeteC
Old Rider

Oddometer: 37
Which windshield recommended?

Hi. I have a 2012 TU250X I've set up for touring. I'm trying to find a good windshield. I am presently using a Givi shield made for the older Kawasaki Concours. It is pretty good in someways, but noisy & too wide. Before cutting it down to fit I want to first try finding a good universal shield t try first, if possible. I want a polypropylene shield because they are more flexible & less likely to crack. I want the shield to be wide enough to direct the air stream around me, but not so wide it creates a lot of air drag. My moto is set up with only a single seat & need the shield to protect only me & not a passenger. Low amounts of noise from turbulence would be good. I like the Givi's, I think most of them are made from polypropylene. So from what all of you that have installed windshields, what do you think are good choices & which do you not recommend. Thanks in advance for any help. Pete
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #6320
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
windshields

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
Hi. I have a 2012 TU250X I've set up for touring. I'm trying to find a good windshield. I am presently using a Givi shield made for the older Kawasaki Concours. It is pretty good in someways, but noisy & too wide. Before cutting it down to fit I want to first try finding a good universal shield t try first, if possible. I want a polypropylene shield because they are more flexible & less likely to crack. I want the shield to be wide enough to direct the air stream around me, but not so wide it creates a lot of air drag. My moto is set up with only a single seat & need the shield to protect only me & not a passenger. Low amounts of noise from turbulence would be good. I like the Givi's, I think most of them are made from polypropylene. So from what all of you that have installed windshields, what do you think are good choices & which do you not recommend. Thanks in advance for any help. Pete
I have the Givi A660, [17x17] sounds like you want a lager shield than mine. The Givi book I have shows a lot of choices . Real happy with what I have ,good quality too. Mine is on my GZ250, haven't put one on the TU ,yet. CMS
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #6321
dalehazelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Lurker

Hello all,

Enjoying poking around here and reading how folks do so much with as little as possible. I have a 2006 DR200 that I put 1,700 miles on last year, a few hundred mile days. I put a 16 tooth sprocket on it so it would have a bit more speed and I was able to get a best tank of 99 mpg. I did get it to an indicated 65 once, but 45-50 is the sweet spot really. It's for sale, however, as a Honda CRF250L followed me home one day last week. Great bike, although I have to admit, the riding experience is not significantly different. I will miss having a 3.5 gallon tank. I will miss flatfooting at stops. I will miss a flat tail to put my bag on. This is in the Hudson Valley at John Burroughs Slabsides. Bag is a Cortech soft bag and just bungied right on there pretty. DR is $2200 cash for a nice clear title. Only has 2,900 miles. People ask up to $3K on CycleTrader but that seems a wee high. It is a basically new bike though...
dalehazelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #6322
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalehazelton View Post
Hello all,

Enjoying poking around here and reading how folks do so much with as little as possible. I have a 2006 DR200 that I put 1,700 miles on last year, a few hundred mile days. I put a 16 tooth sprocket on it so it would have a bit more speed and I was able to get a best tank of 99 mpg. I did get it to an indicated 65 once, but 45-50 is the sweet spot really. It's for sale, however, as a Honda CRF250L followed me home one day last week. Great bike, although I have to admit, the riding experience is not significantly different. I will miss having a 3.5 gallon tank. I will miss flatfooting at stops. I will miss a flat tail to put my bag on. This is in the Hudson Valley at John Burroughs Slabsides. Bag is a Cortech soft bag and just bungied right on there pretty. DR is $2200 cash for a nice clear title. Only has 2,900 miles. People ask up to $3K on CycleTrader but that seems a wee high. It is a basically new bike though...
Keep us updated on the new Honda,I've seem a couple in town,and the dealer can't keep um on the lot they are selling quick,I'm waiting for someone who thinks they need a bigger bike so I can get one used,problem is I think people are gonna like um and not fall for the bigger bike upgrade!Good luck on your new ride.Remember the best battery tender is a full tank of gas and random wandering.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #6323
dalehazelton
Adventurer

I've got about 350 miles on the Honda so far and I have to say that if you want that little bit of extra power it's worth it. MPG is down to about 75, coming off the DR200 I'm not happy about that, but what really pleases me is that it holds 55 without straining. According to my GPS the speedo is only one mile per hour optimistic. A gas gauge is nice, but it's so inaccurate that it might as well not be there - it drops to only one bar when you still have a half tank! I believe that the stator puts out about 370 watts so I have a Powerlet wired in and it reportedly can handle a jacket and gloves if you keep the revs up. Fit and finish is fantastic so the factory in Thailand must be very new and well supervised. I tried putting my Walmart/Coleman pad on and there is so little room under the seat that the plastic clips won't fit under it, so I may order the Seat Concepts seat for it (wish they made an all red version). Probably get a Manrack as well. I'm not an offroad guy, just want to be able to see an unimproved road and take it. I love the DR for introducing me to this kind of bike and I do like old tech as I feel like I can fix it myself. But fuel injection and discs brakes all around is really nice. I'll post a pic in the next day or two.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #6324
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
How well does it hold 60 in a headwind? My XT225 had trouble with this. Without the headwind 70 was no problem.
1998 Ural Deco
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #6325
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
I may order the Seat Concepts seat for it (wish they made an all red version).

Seat Concepts will make any color or color-combo that you want. They will even let you choose the thread color. I saw a KTM one that had orange thread over the Black areas and it looked great (if you like orange!).

You can also choose different surfaces from grippy to smooth. Grippy is great for aggressive riding off-road, I probably wouldn't get it for a dual sport that's mainly ridden on the street. Btw, once the grippy stuff gets dirty you'll never get it as clean as when new, because it grips the dirt too.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #6326
Jeepguy2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Dalehazelton, I just installed the manrack BBQ rack went right on & I'm very pleased with it. My gps is also 1mph less then my speedometer. Didn't know about the fuel gauge being so off, so I will have to keep an eye on it. The only other things I want to add are bark busters & a seat concepts seat. Also the small gas tank will probably get on my nerves & therefore replaced at some point.
Jeepguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #6327
dalehazelton
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
How well does it hold 60 in a headwind? My XT225 had trouble with this. Without the headwind 70 was no problem.
I have to say that in a headwind or a side wind the bike is ALL over the place. That's disappointing, and I felt like it would be a touch more stable than the DR200 due to the higher weight, but I guess the taller height comes into play. I also felt that since the motor was derived from the CBR250 that it would have a bit more on the top end than it does. Knobby tires may have something to do with it, I think the Shinkos that are more street oriented would help me out. Gotta remember we're talking 250cc's here, so I'm pretty impressed with the bike overall. Although it is weird that the NC700X gets pretty much the same gas mileage. I still like the idea of fewer cc's hauling my butt around and not having to pull over to let cars pass - I did do that on the DR200.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #6328
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,874
Quote:
I have to say that in a headwind or a side wind the bike is ALL over the place. That's disappointing, and I felt like it would be a touch more stable than the DR200 due to the higher weight, but I guess the taller height comes into play. I also felt that since the motor was derived from the CBR250 that it would have a bit more on the top end than it does. Knobby tires may have something to do with it, I think the Shinkos that are more street oriented would help me out. Gotta remember we're talking 250cc's here, so I'm pretty impressed with the bike overall. Although it is weird that the NC700X gets pretty much the same gas mileage. I still like the idea of fewer cc's hauling my butt around and not having to pull over to let cars pass - I did do that on the DR200.
Insurance is probably less than it would be with the NC700x
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #6329
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Front fender

I'm back on a dual sport, after many years of street only, and the front fender set up seems just plain stupid, as far as actually keeping mud/water off the front of the engine and your boots. Has anyone with upside down forks tried fabricating the fender right to the fork protectors? I had a bike with conventional forks years ago that I attached the fender right to a fork brace, a no go with U/D forks. This looks good, but probably wouldn't go, thinking it's a 19" wheel, while mine is 21" : http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com...specifications

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #6330
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
From NH to SC and back...

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread, it gave me the idea that I could ride my KLX250 2000+ miles, all for a long weekend of post winter warm weather in Folly Beach, South Carolina.
Was going to take the car and haul the bike, dog, surfboard, and bicycle...but the car broke down. Faced with a repair bill that would negate my ability to go south, I found a dog sitter, put some Shinko 705's on the bike, changed the oil, loaded up, and went!
Two and half days down, four days there, and 2 1/2 days back...totally worth the sore butt.
The trip down was very windy, I got blown around a lot. It only bothered me on some of the taller bridges, but did add to my fatigue.
The 1/2 days were the first and last days. I started in the White Mtns of NH and rode to a friends in Boston as a shakedown. I ended up dropping some gear there, a good choice as my cockpit was a bit cramped.
From Boston, I rode to the state line of N. Carolina(a very long ride 7am to 1 am), where I slept on a covered picnic table for 6hrs. Up at 7am thanks to a rest area worker, I was off in 10 minutes. Only to realize I desperately needed coffee. Luckily I needed gas because my tanks is only 2 gallons. With coffee in me and gas in the bike I was back on the road and able to make dinner in Charleston SC, despite riding in rain for the last three hours and getting totally soaked. My stay included lots of family time, finding a new girlfriend, and lots of this...

If you can't go surfing, then go watch them surf.

The ride back was pretty uneventful, the weather was much more calm. From S. Carolina I managed to make it back to my father's house in Delaware(9am-10:30pm, a long day but not too long). After some hot stew and a beer, I fell into a bed. Another early start and I made Boston by 6pm, just in time for dinner, a shower, and to go out and see my host play in his Bob Marley tribute band, Duppy Conquerors(they are awesome btw, Sally O'Briens every Monday night, it's free!). Up before the rock star, as usual, I was off towards home to collect my dog and find some pain killers and ice packs for my shoulder.
Only things I'd do different is add a throttle lock of some kind, get a better seat, and a much bigger gas tank. But the throttle lock was really all I needed, my right shoulder was very sore after the trip.
Pic of the bike loaded up.

And the final trip mileage at the last fill-up 10 miles from home.

Bike is a 2012 KLX250S with 16000 miles on it. I ride it everyday, all year(unless there is more than 4" of snow on the road, then the cage). Mostly ride to and from work (50 mile round trip), but I've also ridden it to the top of a few mountains on goat trails, it's a very competent off-roader. Great bike!
Next up is Chicago! Got to go see the girl! Just the motivation I need to try for the Iron Butt Saddlesore. I know the bike can do it, but not sure I can. Came very close on this trip, 900 miles in 24 hrs, but I slept and I didn't have a try for an IB planned. We'll see....

lobolator screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 07:52 AM
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote