ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #6331
8lives
Runnin on wonder
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Shasta County,Calif
Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalehazelton View Post
I have to say that in a headwind or a side wind the bike is ALL over the place. That's disappointing, and I felt like it would be a touch more stable than the DR200 due to the higher weight, but I guess the taller height comes into play. I also felt that since the motor was derived from the CBR250 that it would have a bit more on the top end than it does. Knobby tires may have something to do with it, I think the Shinkos that are more street oriented would help me out. Gotta remember we're talking 250cc's here, so I'm pretty impressed with the bike overall. Although it is weird that the NC700X gets pretty much the same gas mileage. I still like the idea of fewer cc's hauling my butt around and not having to pull over to let cars pass - I did do that on the DR200.
Insurance is probably less than it would be with the NC700x
__________________
Revenge is time wasted when you could be having fun!
Only look back to change lanes!
2013 Wee Strom AKA Miley
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
8lives smugmug
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:14 AM   #6332
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,134
Front fender

I'm back on a dual sport, after many years of street only, and the front fender set up seems just plain stupid, as far as actually keeping mud/water off the front of the engine and your boots. Has anyone with upside down forks tried fabricating the fender right to the fork protectors? I had a bike with conventional forks years ago that I attached the fender right to a fork brace, a no go with U/D forks. This looks good, but probably wouldn't go, thinking it's a 19" wheel, while mine is 21" : http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com...specifications
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

"I think I spent the dog food money, but he'll love me just the same. And if you really love me baby, you'll help me scrape the mucus off my brain". Ween
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #6333
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Corner of Kanc and Bear Notch
Oddometer: 117
From NH to SC and back...

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread, it gave me the idea that I could ride my KLX250 2000+ miles, all for a long weekend of post winter warm weather in Folly Beach, South Carolina.
Was going to take the car and haul the bike, dog, surfboard, and bicycle...but the car broke down. Faced with a repair bill that would negate my ability to go south, I found a dog sitter, put some Shinko 705's on the bike, changed the oil, loaded up, and went!
Two and half days down, four days there, and 2 1/2 days back...totally worth the sore butt.
The trip down was very windy, I got blown around a lot. It only bothered me on some of the taller bridges, but did add to my fatigue.
The 1/2 days were the first and last days. I started in the White Mtns of NH and rode to a friends in Boston as a shakedown. I ended up dropping some gear there, a good choice as my cockpit was a bit cramped.
From Boston, I rode to the state line of N. Carolina(a very long ride 7am to 1 am), where I slept on a covered picnic table for 6hrs. Up at 7am thanks to a rest area worker, I was off in 10 minutes. Only to realize I desperately needed coffee. Luckily I needed gas because my tanks is only 2 gallons. With coffee in me and gas in the bike I was back on the road and able to make dinner in Charleston SC, despite riding in rain for the last three hours and getting totally soaked. My stay included lots of family time, finding a new girlfriend, and lots of this...

If you can't go surfing, then go watch them surf.

The ride back was pretty uneventful, the weather was much more calm. From S. Carolina I managed to make it back to my father's house in Delaware(9am-10:30pm, a long day but not too long). After some hot stew and a beer, I fell into a bed. Another early start and I made Boston by 6pm, just in time for dinner, a shower, and to go out and see my host play in his Bob Marley tribute band, Duppy Conquerors(they are awesome btw, Sally O'Briens every Monday night, it's free!). Up before the rock star, as usual, I was off towards home to collect my dog and find some pain killers and ice packs for my shoulder.
Only things I'd do different is add a throttle lock of some kind, get a better seat, and a much bigger gas tank. But the throttle lock was really all I needed, my right shoulder was very sore after the trip.
Pic of the bike loaded up.

And the final trip mileage at the last fill-up 10 miles from home.

Bike is a 2012 KLX250S with 16000 miles on it. I ride it everyday, all year(unless there is more than 4" of snow on the road, then the cage). Mostly ride to and from work (50 mile round trip), but I've also ridden it to the top of a few mountains on goat trails, it's a very competent off-roader. Great bike!
Next up is Chicago! Got to go see the girl! Just the motivation I need to try for the Iron Butt Saddlesore. I know the bike can do it, but not sure I can. Came very close on this trip, 900 miles in 24 hrs, but I slept and I didn't have a try for an IB planned. We'll see....

lobolator screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 06:52 AM
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #6334
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobolator View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread, it gave me the idea that I could ride my KLX250 2000+ miles, all for a long weekend of post winter warm weather in Folly Beach, South Carolina.
Was going to take the car and haul the bike, dog, surfboard, and bicycle...but the car broke down. Faced with a repair bill that would negate my ability to go south, I found a dog sitter, put some Shinko 705's on the bike, changed the oil, loaded up, and went!
Two and half days down, four days there, and 2 1/2 days back...totally worth the sore butt.
The trip down was very windy, I got blown around a lot. It only bothered me on some of the taller bridges, but did add to my fatigue.
The 1/2 days were the first and last days. I started in the White Mtns of NH and rode to a friends in Boston as a shakedown. I ended up dropping some gear there, a good choice as my cockpit was a bit cramped.
From Boston, I rode to the state line of N. Carolina(a very long ride 7am to 1 am), where I slept on a covered picnic table for 6hrs. Up at 7am thanks to a rest area worker, I was off in 10 minutes. Only to realize I desperately needed coffee. Luckily I needed gas because my tanks is only 2 gallons. With coffee in me and gas in the bike I was back on the road and able to make dinner in Charleston SC, despite riding in rain for the last three hours and getting totally soaked. My stay included lots of family time, finding a new girlfriend, and lots of this...

If you can't go surfing, then go watch them surf.

The ride back was pretty uneventful, the weather was much more calm. From S. Carolina I managed to make it back to my father's house in Delaware(9am-10:30pm, a long day but not too long). After some hot stew and a beer, I fell into a bed. Another early start and I made Boston by 6pm, just in time for dinner, a shower, and to go out and see my host play in his Bob Marley tribute band, Duppy Conquerors(they are awesome btw, Sally O'Briens every Monday night, it's free!). Up before the rock star, as usual, I was off towards home to collect my dog and find some pain killers and ice packs for my shoulder.
Only things I'd do different is add a throttle lock of some kind, get a better seat, and a much bigger gas tank. But the throttle lock was really all I needed, my right shoulder was very sore after the trip.
Pic of the bike loaded up.

And the final trip mileage at the last fill-up 10 miles from home.

Bike is a 2012 KLX250S with 16000 miles on it. I ride it everyday, all year(unless there is more than 4" of snow on the road, then the cage). Mostly ride to and from work (50 mile round trip), but I've also ridden it to the top of a few mountains on goat trails, it's a very competent off-roader. Great bike!
Next up is Chicago! Got to go see the girl! Just the motivation I need to try for the Iron Butt Saddlesore. I know the bike can do it, but not sure I can. Came very close on this trip, 900 miles in 24 hrs, but I slept and I didn't have a try for an IB planned. We'll see....
Thanks for the great report lobolator!! Now think of how boring your report would have been if you had taken the car!! On a bike it's always an adventure.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #6335
8lives
Runnin on wonder
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Shasta County,Calif
Oddometer: 1,410
Good job Lobolator,I always laugh when people say you gotta have a big bike,it ain't true,heck people even think my KLR650 is to small,then I ask um"so where do you go on that big bike of yours?and why does it have a battery tender attached to it?"just my observations,to many miles on a Ninja250 I guess.
__________________
Revenge is time wasted when you could be having fun!
Only look back to change lanes!
2013 Wee Strom AKA Miley
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
8lives smugmug
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #6336
poppawheelie
Gnarly Adventurer
 
poppawheelie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobolator View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread, it gave me the idea that I could ride my KLX250 2000+ miles, all for a long weekend of post winter warm weather in Folly Beach, South Carolina.
Was going to take the car and haul the bike, dog, surfboard, and bicycle...but the car broke down. Faced with a repair bill that would negate my ability to go south, I found a dog sitter, put some Shinko 705's on the bike, changed the oil, loaded up, and went!
Two and half days down, four days there, and 2 1/2 days back...totally worth the sore butt.
The trip down was very windy, I got blown around a lot. It only bothered me on some of the taller bridges, but did add to my fatigue.
The 1/2 days were the first and last days. I started in the White Mtns of NH and rode to a friends in Boston as a shakedown. I ended up dropping some gear there, a good choice as my cockpit was a bit cramped.
From Boston, I rode to the state line of N. Carolina(a very long ride 7am to 1 am), where I slept on a covered picnic table for 6hrs. Up at 7am thanks to a rest area worker, I was off in 10 minutes. Only to realize I desperately needed coffee. Luckily I needed gas because my tanks is only 2 gallons. With coffee in me and gas in the bike I was back on the road and able to make dinner in Charleston SC, despite riding in rain for the last three hours and getting totally soaked. My stay included lots of family time, finding a new girlfriend, and lots of this...

If you can't go surfing, then go watch them surf.

The ride back was pretty uneventful, the weather was much more calm. From S. Carolina I managed to make it back to my father's house in Delaware(9am-10:30pm, a long day but not too long). After some hot stew and a beer, I fell into a bed. Another early start and I made Boston by 6pm, just in time for dinner, a shower, and to go out and see my host play in his Bob Marley tribute band, Duppy Conquerors(they are awesome btw, Sally O'Briens every Monday night, it's free!). Up before the rock star, as usual, I was off towards home to collect my dog and find some pain killers and ice packs for my shoulder.
Only things I'd do different is add a throttle lock of some kind, get a better seat, and a much bigger gas tank. But the throttle lock was really all I needed, my right shoulder was very sore after the trip.

And the final trip mileage at the last fill-up 10 miles from home.

Bike is a 2012 KLX250S with 16000 miles on it. I ride it everyday, all year(unless there is more than 4" of snow on the road, then the cage). Mostly ride to and from work (50 mile round trip), but I've also ridden it to the top of a few mountains on goat trails, it's a very competent off-roader. Great bike!
Next up is Chicago! Got to go see the girl! Just the motivation I need to try for the Iron Butt Saddlesore. I know the bike can do it, but not sure I can. Came very close on this trip, 900 miles in 24 hrs, but I slept and I didn't have a try for an IB planned. We'll see....
Good for you! Just pack it up and go. I ride all year round and rode PA to FL for bike week last month, on a scooter. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876281
__________________
"To me the trail is calling! The old trail - the trail that is always new." Matthew Alexander Henson

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #6337
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Corner of Kanc and Bear Notch
Oddometer: 117
Yeah, I got a lot of bug eyed looks when they realized where I was from and what I was on. Even had a HD rider crap his pants, once he realized what I was doing.
The only advantage to a bigger bike would have been a little more grunt at 70mph and more weight against the wind.
My ass would still be sore, same with the shoulder.
Lots of good gas station conversations were had 1) because of the little bike, 2) because it had a NH plate way down south, and 3) because it was a motorcycle out and about in April, like a crazy person. I didn't tell them I had just ridden all winter on studded tires in the Arctic like NH.
As on my other various long distance motorcycle trips, people just gravitate towards a bike. Maybe it's because they realize you are alone or they just want a conversation, I don't know, but I've met some great people and had some crazy conversations. That never really happened as much doing the same in a cage.
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #6338
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobolator View Post
Yeah, I got a lot of bug eyed looks when they realized where I was from and what I was on. Even had a HD rider crap his pants, once he realized what I was doing.
The only advantage to a bigger bike would have been a little more grunt at 70mph and more weight against the wind.
My ass would still be sore, same with the shoulder.
Lots of good gas station conversations were had 1) because of the little bike, 2) because it had a NH plate way down south, and 3) because it was a motorcycle out and about in April, like a crazy person. I didn't tell them I had just ridden all winter on studded tires in the Arctic like NH.
As on my other various long distance motorcycle trips, people just gravitate towards a bike. Maybe it's because they realize you are alone or they just want a conversation, I don't know, but I've met some great people and had some crazy conversations. That never really happened as much doing the same in a cage.
Sounds like a great trip! I high sided a CL450 just off the Kanc, on that left just opposite the old ski jump place. Went in too fast, just before the covered bridge (Dougway?). Last thing I saw were sparks coming off the left foot peg, which forced the rear tire off the ground. Then, when the tire made contact again, it was like a sling shot. Live and learn, I've slowed down a lot now. We all get strange looks from folks when riding a 250, had a kid in the passenger's seat in a cage look at me on mine, on the interstate, his eyes were like saucers.
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

"I think I spent the dog food money, but he'll love me just the same. And if you really love me baby, you'll help me scrape the mucus off my brain". Ween
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #6339
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobolator View Post
As on my other various long distance motorcycle trips, people just gravitate towards a bike. Maybe it's because they realize you are alone or they just want a conversation, I don't know, but I've met some great people and had some crazy conversations. That never really happened as much doing the same in a cage.
So true. So true. And many of the people who want to talk either own a bike or used to own one. They get it. Some of them want to be doing what you're doing right then at that very moment! What I find funny too is that you can be parked in a field of cars. If one other motorcyclist joins the group - you are suddenly his best friend. They will walk up to you and chat with you first. There is an instant connection there simply because you are riding a bike also.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #6340
Rhompin45
Rhompin45
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Chandler arizona
Oddometer: 199
Laugh

That is awsome. I am fairly new to the motorcycle world. About a year and a half and half of that time was on a 150cc scooter so I couldn't leave town. Partly cus it wouldn't go past 55 and partly cus I didn't trust it. But since I got my tu250 in sep I put 8000 miles on it mostly to work. Living in az I can ride all winter long with no problem. I make 200 mile trips through the mountains once in a while but have never left the state. Everyone keeps telling me I need a bigger bike which I know is not true. This is very inspiring to see some one make a trip like that on a 250. I guess the only thing I really need is storage compartments on the bike so I can make it happen. I have always liked those klxs but was under the impression they didn't do well on the street. what mpg did you get with wind and high speeds?

Rhompin45 screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 01:12 PM
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #6341
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!
 
Beemermcr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Sandy, UT
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobolator View Post
Only things I'd do different is add a throttle lock of some kind, ....
Simple, but effective throttle lock is a 175 cable tie (zip tie) placed around the grip, snugged up and shortened so it rests against the brake lever. Rotate it forward against the brake at your desired speed; snug it up if it doesnt hold; use a small pointed knife to release the catch if you get too tight or want to remove it for off road. Rotating the throttle off releases it.
__________________
Paul Baird
Sandy, UT
2013 Husky/BMW/KTM Terra
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #6342
8lives
Runnin on wonder
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Shasta County,Calif
Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermcr View Post
Simple, but effective throttle lock is a 175 cable tie (zip tie) placed around the grip, snugged up and shortened so it rests against the brake lever. Rotate it forward against the brake at your desired speed; snug it up if it doesnt hold; use a small pointed knife to release the catch if you get too tight or want to remove it for off road. Rotating the throttle off releases it.
I'm gonna try that,great idea
__________________
Revenge is time wasted when you could be having fun!
Only look back to change lanes!
2013 Wee Strom AKA Miley
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
8lives smugmug
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #6343
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Corner of Kanc and Bear Notch
Oddometer: 117
Worst mileage due to WOT into the wind was about 55mpg. Average was about 62mpg on the highway.
At home around town I get 65-70mpg.
The KLX on the highway is definitely stretching it's legs all the way. But it will do an actual 80mph(the speedo said 94 once , but it lies) if you get a good draft to help it get up there, not that I recommend drafting.
If you want to pass, better plan way ahead.
Love the KLX, 16000 miles in 13 months. No problems except bad gas clogging my jets. On road or off it just keeps on going, a couple of times without me.
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #6344
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR
 
Hawk62cj5's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Va
Oddometer: 545
The rest area you stopped at was it the welcome to nc one ? If so I could have recommended a quieter place near by
__________________
09 Super Sherpa KL250
62 CJ-5
Trailering a bike is like hiring a prostitute just to jerk off in front of her .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #6345
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Corner of Kanc and Bear Notch
Oddometer: 117
It was the NC welcome center.

The picnic table did have a roof, which at the time seemed good enough, and it was free. I was so close to falling asleep on the bike it didn't matter and I had earplugs, but do tell. I will be doing a repeat in September.
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014