User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #6361
Slipinn
DevilDogMarine

Oddometer: 28
interstate speed

I'd be interested to know if it can attain 70 mph for short juants on the interstate road's. I have recently taken my 96 xr250l out of storage and put it on the road. Most of the 4 lanes here in Florida have a 70 mph speed limit and of course everyone actually goes 80 mph or more so 70 would be necessary to keep anywhere near the flow of traffic. Have been thinking of a new 250 myself and comparing the KLX 250 to the crf. Seems like the KLX might have a higher top end.
That new CRF sure looks good.

Chuck
Slipinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #6362
moterbiker
Gypsy diver

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipinn View Post
I'd be interested to know if it can attain 70 mph for short juants on the interstate road's. I have recently taken my 96 xr250l out of storage and put it on the road. Most of the 4 lanes here in Florida have a 70 mph speed limit and of course everyone actually goes 80 mph or more so 70 would be necessary to keep anywhere near the flow of traffic. Have been thinking of a new 250 myself and comparing the KLX 250 to the crf. Seems like the KLX might have a higher top end.

Chuck
My XT225 does 70 fine, I am pretty sure the KLX is even better

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #6363
dalehazelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
DR sold

Dealer where I had this consigned for $2300 just called and said the sold it for $2,000. After I pay them commission I will be getting less than average retail, and they were much more money on Cycletrader. I guess if you want to do something right you have to do it yourself. But trying to sell bikes myself has been a pain in the butt. Should have pulled the Renthal bars and barkbusters off. Oh well...

dalehazelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #6364
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:

Chuck
My CRFL did 70, no problem. I have replaced the front sprocket from a 14, to a 13, and I haven't plugged in the Speedo DRD in yet, but was keeping up with traffic alright. Not a big fan of interstates, though, if I can help it.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #6365
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,899
your loss on the sale price is worth not having the issues that can arise from selling it yourself,I have sold a few over the years and it often work out ok,but selling requires alot of meeting people to look at what your selling until it goes,sometimes for alot less because I get tired of the whole process and just let it go,the dealer did all that 4 ya.Buyers remorse/sellers remorse.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #6366
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by moterbiker View Post
My XT225 will do an "indicated" 80 top, but I always wonder how much off it is in reality. Of course, that's if there's no up slope, and no asmatic geezer breathing in my direction.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #6367
pinkius
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Hey...Is it me or your exhaust is a little lowered?
Hi Leo.G,
Good eyes Man, I bought it like that but I do want the muffler to be up like when it first came out of Japan...I will fix it but it runs better when it's ugly
pinkius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #6368
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkius View Post
Hi Leo.G,
Good eyes Man, I bought it like that but I do want the muffler to be up like when it first came out of Japan...I will fix it but it runs better when it's ugly

I owned a NX 150, as you can see in my avatar.. I disarmed it so much that I almost know every part of it, hehe!

Does that exhaust setup make the bike run better or what?
Old 04-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #6369
Jesper Hedegaard
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by moterbiker View Post
Well - I have a '09 KLX250S and after a very fast tuning is does 120 km/h - according to GPS with an all-time high of 127. Don't remember the conditions for that sprint, thoug ;o)
But that is the european FI-model - US carburetted model could be another matter.
Oh - it will pull the 120 under most conditions on fairly flat road - we are not bugged by mountains here in Denmark ;o)

120 km/h eqauls approx 75 Mph.
Jesper Hedegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #6370
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
My XT225 will do an "indicated" 80 top, but I always wonder how much off it is in reality. Of course, that's if there's no up slope, and no asmatic geezer breathing in my direction.
Today I used my Every Trail program while I drove to work on my XT225. It showed a max speed of 73.8 from the GPS. You are right though that wind will slow it down in a hurry.
1998 Ural Deco

Keithert screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 09:19 PM
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #6371
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
On a bike with bar end weights, a thick o-ring, 1/8" or so, placed between the grip and the weight will hold the throttle in place. Keep it on the weight, then roll it off the weight into the groove when you need it.
We use these http://www.thecycleguys.com/go-cruis...ttle-assist-1/ on our crf230l and wr250r,...they work great and are inexpensive.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #6372
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:

Chuck
With an EJK FI tuner, slip on, and airbox mod you should be able to pull 85 no problem. You can purchase all of these for under 500 shipped. A small windscreen should grab you a couple of mph as well.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #6373
dalehazelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Selling used bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
your loss on the sale price is worth not having the issues that can arise from selling it yourself,I have sold a few over the years and it often work out ok,but selling requires alot of meeting people to look at what your selling until it goes,sometimes for alot less because I get tired of the whole process and just let it go,the dealer did all that 4 ya.Buyers remorse/sellers remorse.
Yeah, every time I've bought or sold or consigned I feel like I've been screwed over. When the dealer pulls out that NADA book that doesn't consider mileage or condition or accessories you know you're on the losing end of the stick. I talked to the dealer and said I had wanted to be firm on my asking price this early in the season and he said ' okay, I can get a couple hundred more for you - it's a friend of mine so I can talk to him.' So the salesman was trying to help his buddy while pocketing a commission. Not right or wrong, just sours you on dealers sometimes.
dalehazelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #6374
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 493
Has anyone ever used bicycle panniers on your motorcycle? They seem to be more readily available, and, importantly, a fair sight cheaper.

For context, I am mentally gearing up for a future minimalist tour on my new (to me) TU250
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #6375
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeps View Post
Has anyone ever used bicycle panniers on your motorcycle? They seem to be more readily available, and, importantly, a fair sight cheaper.

For context, I am mentally gearing up for a future minimalist tour on my new (to me) TU250
Great question as I alway look for a less costly alternative when gearing up the KLR for wandering,I'll be watching.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote