Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #6376
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeps View Post
Has anyone ever used bicycle panniers on your motorcycle? They seem to be more readily available, and, importantly, a fair sight cheaper.

For context, I am mentally gearing up for a future minimalist tour on my new (to me) TU250

I've been using Mountain Smith large "dog bags" , mainly for trail riding. They are under $40, (maybe $32 if you search around). They fit pretty well, I removed all the straps that were for dogs and just place it on my seat and clip it with a carabiner to my rear rack. They aren't huge, but you can stuff some relatively bulky things in them. I've packed jackets, pants, shoes, tools, etc. in them.

.....Tried to post a photo, but I can't remember how to. The photobucket/ADV interface is so stupid I can never remember how to trim the extra code to force it to work.......ARRRG!
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #6377
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,538
Hey I looked up the Mountain smith stuff,looks like it works good,I'll do some more looking at their stuff.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #6378
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Hardly considered "touring" but the other day I rode about 3 hours each way out of my city, 4 hours of open highway and 2 hours of two lane. Maybe 2 miles of gravel, haha.

Either way, the little 250 handled it great and I was more than impressed- started at 500cc, then 675, then 500, then 650, and now 250....while I do miss all the bikes, this one is just too damn fun.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #6379
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I've been using Mountain Smith large "dog bags" , mainly for trail riding. They are under $40, (maybe $32 if you search around). They fit pretty well, I removed all the straps that were for dogs and just place it on my seat and clip it with a carabiner to my rear rack. They aren't huge, but you can stuff some relatively bulky things in them. I've packed jackets, pants, shoes, tools, etc. in them.

.....Tried to post a photo, but I can't remember how to. The photobucket/ADV interface is so stupid I can never remember how to trim the extra code to force it to work.......ARRRG!
All is revealed here...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #6380
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Thanks,

I have posted images before using photobucket. It was a total PITA to figure out how the first time, and even after learning to clip the IMG off of the links it's still a tricky "hit or miss" hassle for me

It's just not worth the effort sometimes....
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #6381
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Has anyone ever used bicycle panniers on your motorcycle? They seem to be more readily available, and, importantly, a fair sight cheaper.

For context, I am mentally gearing up for a future minimalist tour on my new (to me) TU250
I've used bicycle bags. They work perfectly well. Replaced them with canvas bags from a military surplus that were just a tat more practical. They're also cheap and albeit less sturdy than the bicycle panniers still efficient.
I line them with garbage bags against water.

The one argument that can be hold against these bags is their vulnerability, especially abrasion. They'll handle drops at low speed well though.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #6382
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Thanks,

I have posted images before using photobucket. It was a total PITA to figure out how the first time, and even after learning to clip the IMG off of the links it's still a tricky "hit or miss" hassle for me

It's just not worth the effort sometimes....
Smugmug and Firefox are completely painless. I simply right click the photo I want in my smugmug gallery and choose "Copy image location", click the little mountainscape icon in the editor here and instant linked picture.

Haven't used Internet Explorer in years but if I remember right there was no simple "Copy image location" shortcut like Firefox has so it always took more digging to get to the "share photo link" in smugmug. The story is always better with pictures, don't give up.

I could tell you how my wife felt after crashing her DR200, but this is easier...

and within a few minutes, she was all smiles again, bleeding and all.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #6383
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:

Only on a bicycle. One thing to watch out for is the mounting system: my Nashbar waterproof panniers (which actually were waterproof) mounted via 3 wire hooks, which hooked into the rack up top and the dropout down below.
Only $50, amazing for the price and size 2310 ci / 38 liters. See http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...82_-1___202599
I assume these are the same rolltops as the ones I used a few years ago on a two-wheel recumbent.
Nashbar has several other affordable options

Some others require / provide a mount system that is attached permanently to the rack.

The next two options are both at or over $200, so skip if that is a barrier.

On my recumbent trike, I've used Radical 'banana' pannier bags, 55 liters but expensive. http://www.icetrikes.co/explore-our-...t/accessories#
Scroll down to the Radical M bags. I've eyeballed them on the Yammie YBR125, and they seem to fit fine as long as I can keep them above the exhaust (which is quite low slung). Their big advantage is that they are a bit more streamlined than most. If you have a wide rack, the rear strap may need to be extended a bit: it fits but is a little tight on the stock YBR rack.
These are also available directly from Radical (https://www.radicaldesign.nl/en/prod.../side-panniers, I assume there is still a US distributor. Radical has a bigger variety, up to 70 liters, although these could impact the exhaust on the YBR.
Expensive, they will run you well over USD200.
One advantage on my YBR is that they move the weight down and forward compared to normal saddlebags.

What I use most are the Ortlieb Dry saddlebags: http://www.aerostich.com/bags/seat-b...addlebags.html

These were among the last items I bought from Aerostich / Riderwearhouse before I put them on my 'do not support' list several years back.
Unlike the riding pants I bought from them, these work perfectly, fit well on the TE610E, the YBR125G, and my Zongshen 'Fly' 200 dual sport (although the Zong requires the front straps to be extended or an additional webbing loop).
They are waterproof (if you close them properly) and quite crash resistant, as I have come down twice with them on the bike and very little observable damage other than a few small scuff marks.
Although that is as much credit to the Zong as anything, that bike is amazing for the price, lots of small design features to make it more crash proof.
Again, a bit spendy ($200), but way cheaper than hard bags which IMHO would not sustain most crashes as well, plus the softbags put much less strain on the fame / subframe and so on in rough going.
They have around 5000 miles on them, a lot of it quite rough going and loaded to the max.
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #6384
dalehazelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
These are large and CHEAP at $29 at tractor supply store. If you search for that brand name on ebay they come in different colors and configurations as well. I bought but returned as I checked my old GIVI scooter saddlebags after wards and they seemed more adjustable.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...l-x-4-1-2-in-d

dalehazelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #6385
wesdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:

I'm loving the Nashbar dry bag panniers, got large ones, waterproof built in reflection, very durable, river boat type material. $50. Working on how I want to mount. Holds a lot of gear.
wesdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #6386
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 302
Thanks everybody. I thought this would probably work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalehazelton View Post
These are large and CHEAP at $29 at tractor supply store. If you search for that brand name on ebay they come in different colors and configurations as well. I bought but returned as I checked my old GIVI scooter saddlebags after wards and they seemed more adjustable.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...l-x-4-1-2-in-d

Now that is an option I hadn't considered. Kinda dumb of me, considering we call them saddlebags...
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #6387
Jinksy
- Jinksy

Oddometer: 55
Selling****

I am looking to sell my 2013 Honda CRF 250l dual sport. I have installed new sprockets changing the gearing from 14/40 (stock) to 13/42. I have installed an FMF Powercore 4 muffler on it. I have installed new handlebar grips. I have installed a yoshimura fender eliminating kit with LED light. This bike has less then 1,000 miles on it. It is fuel injected, chain driven, and electric start (so no struggling with kick starting) The bike has been dropped a few times but no major damage was done just minor scratches that are typical when riding off road. It still looks clean and rides better then stock because of the modifications. The only reason I am looking to sell this bike is to buy a touring bike for my wife and I, otherwise I would keep it. Please email me if you are interested. I am not looking to make money off of this bike, just to break even. I will include a helmet, gloves, honda book bag, a rear luggage rack, all the original parts, and a motorcycle cover if purchased. Email me at kmjinks@yahoo.com or call me 804-477-5446.
Jinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #6388
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Speaking of horse tack...

These:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/weaver-leather-nylon-pommel-bag-6-in-w-x-7-1-2-in-l-x-2-1-2-in-d

make great tank panniers, and they already have a hole for the gas cap...

Why, yes, I do own a KLR. It's a 250, and being a KLR owner I'm a cheap SOB...
ANY WAY YOU CAN! http://youtu.be/Gg_G-NeSmW0
FMFDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #6389
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
I really enjoy this thread and finally get to make a post.

Getting ready for a 3 day trip to the Land Between the Lakes and got her loaded down to see what I don't need.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #6390
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,538
I watch Craigslist in my area and pick up formerly expensive bags cheap,sometimes I have to sew things up but the price is usually better if Its needing repair.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote