Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #6646
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
... didn't drive on it to make great time. They drove on it to have a great time.

And for result look at pictures of previous post:
Old 06-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #6647
majorpayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
That 150 is cool. I was just looking at the new cbr250 the other day at the Honda dealership....they are pretty sweet!
majorpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #6648
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Well - I made it back yesterday from my 11 day tour across Ontario on my 2011 CBR150R. Had a great trip. All told - I think I covered about 4000 kms on the CBR150R. Hope to create a trip report to document the adventure. Here are a few photos.

Mike
hey, it looks like you stayed at the air ivanhoe lodge! there are some awesome roads up that way. and beautiful scenery.

how was george?

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #6649
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpayne View Post
That 150 is cool. I was just looking at the new cbr250 the other day at the Honda dealership....they are pretty sweet!
Yeah - the CBR250R has noticeably more power than the CBR150R. However, the CBR250R weighs about 60 lbs more - so it isn't as flickable. Other than that - it is a good bike. I sold my 2011 CBR250R though. I like the lighter weight of the 150R. I'm excited about the possibility of the KTM 390 Duke coming to N. America. With 43 hp and 330 lbs wet - that sounds like a good recipe for fun.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #6650
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
Looking forword to your trip report and pictures. I love that bike ,colors are great. Are there side racks ava for Givi hard bags on the125/150 & 250 CBR's ? Terry
I've been looking for side racks for hard luggage for the CBR125/150R and CBR250R. I haven't been able to find any unfortunately.

Mike
Old 06-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #6651
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post
hey, it looks like you stayed at the air ivanhoe lodge! there are some awesome roads up that way. and beautiful scenery.

how was george?

Hey Green Hell - you almost nailed it. I actually stayed at Ivanhoe Lake Provincial Park. But I ate supper at the lodge and took some photos there. Good food! And nice park!

Mike
Old 06-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #6652
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Here are some photos from the first part of my adventure on my CBR150R. These ones preceded the photos taken above. Had lots of fun on this trip. Met up with members of the Honda CBR125R forum for our annual gathering (this year near Bancroft, ON). Did an incredibly twisty and scenic ride out to Calabogie, ON and back. These might be the best riding roads in all of Ontario. Even met some characters on scooters participating in the Mad Bastard Scooter Rally in the Calabogie area. They looked like they were having tons of fun. Then again - on those twisting roads - who wouldn't?

Mike
Old 06-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #6653
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Mike looks like a great ride! Do you have a RR going for this trip? I live in Michigan and would like to explore some of the Lake Superior shore on the Ontario side. What kind of gas mileage are you getting loaded up on these trips?

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #6654
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I've been looking for side racks for hard luggage for the CBR125/150R and CBR250R. I haven't been able to find any unfortunately.

Mike
I've been using hand bags since the mid 80s, but have switched over to soft bags, especially for the smaller bikes.

Seem to be much more crash proof, and put less stress on subframe and so on (I'm using Ortliebs). Just as waterproof, more so than some of the factory luggage I've used.

I would have thought the KTM 390 wou have been lighter than 390 lb. My Husky TE610 weighed less than that with a bigger, torquier motor.

Sent from my A898 Duo using Tapatalk 4 Beta
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #6655
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver View Post
I've been using hand bags since the mid 80s, but have switched over to soft bags, especially for the smaller bikes.

Seem to be much more crash proof, and put less stress on subframe and so on (I'm using Ortliebs). Just as waterproof, more so than some of the factory luggage I've used.

I would have thought the KTM 390 wou have been lighter than 390 lb. My Husky TE610 weighed less than that with a bigger, torquier motor.

Yeah - as you can see I'm using the Ortlieb saddles too. Love them. And if my bike ever takes a nap - they will act as good cushions. But now that I have my top case - it's hard to ignore the convenience of "click to secure" and lockable luggage. They were nice to have on this trip.

The Duke 390 is supposed to be 330lbs wet and 43 hp. That is a pretty decent weight, considering that my CBR150R weights around 302lbs wet and puts out 19.5 hp. That compares with a wet weight of 367 lbs for my recently sold 2011 CBR250R and 26 hp.

Mike
Old 07-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #6656
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250 View Post
Mike looks like a great ride! Do you have a RR going for this trip? I live in Michigan and would like to explore some of the Lake Superior shore on the Ontario side. What kind of gas mileage are you getting loaded up on these trips?
I plan to start a ride report soon. I have a Canada Day party to host today. So I need to make sure my priorities are in order.

My fuel economy naturally varied depending on wind, hills, weight, and luggage. Last year with a different bike, but same engine - and smaller load, I netted an average of about 84 mpg (70 mpg U.S.). My average speed was about 100 km/hr (62 mph) GPS. This year - with the addition of the Givi E55 Maxia (the largest case they have available), this affected my mileage somewhat - and I calculated an average fuel economy of about 80 mpg (67 mpg). My best fuel economy on this trip involved a luggage-less "spirited" run through a twisty 4-hour group ride. Here - traveling the same speeds - I obtained an economy figure of 92 mpg (77 mpg U.S.) - so it's clear that the weight and size of the luggage wasn't helping my fuel economy.

Mike
Old 07-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #6657
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Hard bags can have a noticeable effect, on my GS in the region of 10% at highway speed.

Topboxes are very convenient, but can noticeably impair handling.
Depending on the bike and load, they can also cause damage. Last year the Givi Maxia on my VFR snapped the mounting arms right now off

'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #6658
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver View Post
Hard bags can have a noticeable effect, on my GS in the region of 10% at highway speed.

Topboxes are very convenient, but can noticeably impair handling.
Depending on the bike and load, they can also cause damage. Last year the Givi Maxia on my VFR snapped the mounting arms right now off

Eeesh! Thanks for the heads-up!

Mike
Old 07-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #6659
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Another strategy is to follow the old US federal highways. Many are still two-lane and go through towns and villages where the older hotels are located, for cheaper and more "interesting" surroundings.

Thats how I travel, in fact I am planning a trip from Orlando Fl, to Alamogordo NM and that will be most of the route. Interstates and major highways get boring after a while..lol.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #6660
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Suzuki DR200

Had a nice Suzuki DR200 traded in at work the other day. After several of us bigger guys riding it we all agreed it was a hoot. I decided to make a video of me a 250lbs, 5'10" guy riding one off road. So if your a bigger guy and looking at a DR200 I think this gives you a pretty good idea how it will work for you. The little DR200 is now our favorite bike to run errands on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P5aKgrRWhU
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote