Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2007, 03:05 PM   #751
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc3
The 769 mile day was just one day of 16 days.

Trip was over 6100 miles on a TW.
Who knew the TW could carry all that gear PLUS the giant set of cojones this guy has...

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #752
N1ckR
Serowist

Oddometer: 162
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy
Who knew the TW could carry all that gear PLUS the giant set of cojones this guy has...
They have nice soft seats

Very very awesome trip btw. Much respect.

My website | Money Traffic Blog | Give Blood | Kill Spills
N1ckR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:52 PM   #753
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Well, I know have my own "minimalist touring" bike-a 2007 XT225.I'm still breaking it in, but jeebus this things gets some gas mileage.Heres my first four top offs: 87.5, 88.5, 87.5, 97.1. Thats US gallons folks.

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:41 AM   #754
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove
Well, I know have my own "minimalist touring" bike-a 2007 XT225.I'm still breaking it in, but jeebus this things gets some gas mileage.Heres my first four top offs: 87.5, 88.5, 87.5, 97.1. Thats US gallons folks.

jon
Cool, that's a great bike, a ticket to adventure.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #755
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove

jon
That's ridonkulous.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
Old 08-18-2007, 10:42 AM   #756
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,945
Quote:
That's ridonkulous.
my overall average for my dr200 is 82.5 mpg, and that includes about 20% of the time at 55 mph or so.

my data points:

you can tell which fillups had the higher speeds (or a headwind ).

i love that little bike. at first i was kind of twitchy about the higher speeds (55~60), but after i did the math i figure the redline would be about 10,400 rpm and the bike is running out of steam well before that.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:09 PM   #757
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Fat tires probably help with the cojones.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:46 AM   #758
BruceC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Postie Bikes in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam
Small bike touring?
I've booked my ticket to Australia, arranged to buy a Honda CT110 (postie bike) from a friend, and I'm off around the continent!
I figure that the tank plus a 20 litre backup jerrycan will give me a 1000km range, not too shabby. I'm going to take it easy at first, no big remote desert tracks that don't see traffic for a week (in case I break down).
I'll be sleeping out most nights, working on farms when I run out of money, it's going to be great.
Here's a few piccies from a postie bike trip 3 mates and myself did in June in the Canberra area. The steel boxes on the back of 2 of the bikes contain extra fuel and tools. The third postie bike (Emily) had only been set up the week before. I was on a drz250.

The plan was to go to the Alpine Rally then take a few extra days and travel around the Snowy Mountains. The postie bikes were carried to Wee Jasper, 80km from the rally site. I rode the drz the 400km to this meeting point.

This was taken at the meeting point. It shows the steel box on the back of the postie.

The next morning we decided on an "adventurous" route to the rally site. This was through a national park that contained quite a few hills.

On most of these we had to push the postie bikes up - not enough horsies for them to make it on their own.

The inevitable result was this at the top of each hill...

With all the pushing, and getting lost, we ended up running out of light. This was taken just before night. Either road would take us to where we wanted to go. However, road on left had a big hil while road on right had a BIGGER hill.

Finally got into the rally site after 9.5 hours of riding, totally stuffed and had travelled the grand total of 80km (50 miles).

The next day we investigated a noise from the rear wheel of one of the posties. The bearing had collapsed. So Josh, on the right, rode my drz into Canberra in search of a new bearing. Not easy on the Sunday of a long weekend. He arrived back at the rally site not much before dark and he and his father fitted the bearing. It was at that point we realised that a spacer was totally missing and had been since before they bought the bike.

The following night was spent at an old homestead that has been partially restored. You're not supposed to camp inside these, but camping nearby seems to be OK.

Another piccy of the homestead...

Negotiating a mud hole. Not a problem on the drz, but a bit of a challenge on the postie bikes.

The last nights campsite..

These two photos taken on either side of the last night.

It was cold!!!

After the first day most of the riding was actually relatively easy. Bill, on the blue postie (Emily) had not done much of this type of riding before and had a tendency to fall off. By the end of the trip he had just about had enough. But, a week after the trip he was talking about the next trip. Bitten!!!!

The trip was not all that long. Most days we did less than 100km. But it was a lot of fun. The postie bikes will probably be put away until next year's Alpine Rally. My drz, however, gets used pretty regularly. Next weekend is the TTT (Thrasher's Terrifying Track) rally. In the dry its OK. In the wet it lives up to its name. Its now been raining all day and the forecast is for rain for most of the week. Could be interesting.

Moral is: you don't need much of a bike to have a lot of fun.

I know this probably should have been posted in the rides forum, but I thought it belonged better here. Hope you enjoyed.

Bruce
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:38 AM   #759
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC
Here's a few piccies from a postie bike trip 3 mates and myself did in June in the Canberra area.

I know this probably should have been posted in the rides forum, but I thought it belonged better here. Hope you enjoyed.

Bruce

Bruce;

I really prefer to see such ride reports here.

The text (if you are longwinded-summarize) and REQUIRED pics are helpful because they may give us insights/strategies for packing and setup. In addition, it may help to motivate people to try small bike touring to those subtle places missed by higher speed travel and for many it will be all they need to be hooked.

I really liked the hillclimbing technique and the required recovery.

Trailside repairs, simplicity reigns supreme here.

Thanks for your contribution.

Tweeker;

As I have already posted; with wrist discipline I can usually pull 280-290 miles before hitting reserve which equates to about 105mpg. Doing a tach test gave me a 4500-4800rpm level (about 42-45mph/15:42 final) for this kind of mileage. Like you when I push this engine to higher speeds to manage traffic (50-55 mph) my mileage falls into the 80's.

I'll be heading out for the JBR in just over 2wks and would prefer to take the 200 over the 650. Both bikes are prepared for a last minute decision. BUT I'll probably opt for the 650 only because I can compress the 2500 mi trip so I can spend several days exploring instead of being on the road from beginning to end of the 2wk period. With the 650 I can do higher mileage days in areas where I need to just burn the miles. Once I clear the traffic zones I settle ino a 45mph cruise with the 650 as I would the 200. Next year I will be on a new to me DR250SE which I will prepare this winter and expect to be a near perfect compromise for me.

I have just come up with a terrific spare fuel can system (IMO) which fits to my panniers. If it wasn't raining I would shoot and post a pic or two. Will try tomorrow. With two spare 1.125 gallon containers (one on each pannier) the range of the 200 is extended to 500 miles and my F650GSD to about 330. Needed to add fuel capacity because the JBR has a 225 mile gap where there are no services.

steve gs screwed with this post 08-19-2007 at 04:21 PM
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #760
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC

Bruce
Thanks for the post Bruce. I've been trying to get my hands on a Postie here in the States for years, but not easy. Used to ride one in the 70's.

I imagine I'd be dissappointed by the hp, (I might have gained a pound or two since I was 15... ) but they are still damn fun bikes.

Looks like a good ride. I notice I didn't see you pushing the DRZ up hills though...

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
Old 08-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #761
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
I'll be heading out for the JBR in just over 2wks and would prefer to take the 200 over the 650. Both bikes are prepared for a last minute decision. BUT I'll probably opt for the 650 only because I can compress the 2500 mi trip so I can spend several days exploring instead of being on the road from beginning to end of the 2wk period. With the 650 I can do higher mileage days in areas where I need to just burn the miles. Once I clear the traffic zones I settle ino a 45mph cruise with the 650 as I would the 200. Next year I will be on a new to me DR250SE which I will prepare this winter and expect to be a near perfect compromise for me.

well, whatever you take, have a great trip! i'm heading up to canada this coming weekend for a fly-in fishing trip with my dad and some other guys.

this is a great time of year to be up there. little chill in the air!

good luck and i hope everything goes well.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #762
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Dr250

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeker43
well, whatever you take, have a great trip! i'm heading up to canada this coming weekend for a fly-in fishing trip with my dad and some other guys.

this is a great time of year to be up there. little chill in the air!

good luck and i hope everything goes well.
Steve, lets see pic of the new 250, I've narrowed my 250 selectin to a newer Drz 250 [with a kit for street legal] or the ninja 250. Taking a working trip in Sept. myself,[ to NE Ohio] ,planing on the Drz400 for this one. I'am also interrested in an old van for travel and transport of the bike ,when needed . I know you do this also ,any tips on van choice and etc. CMS
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:00 AM   #763
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS
Steve, lets see pic of the new 250, I've narrowed my 250 selectin to a newer Drz 250 [with a kit for street legal] or the ninja 250. Taking a working trip in Sept. myself,[ to NE Ohio] ,planing on the Drz400 for this one. I'am also interrested in an old van for travel and transport of the bike ,when needed . I know you do this also ,any tips on van choice and etc. CMS

I think somewhere in this thread I posted a pic of my van with my Aprilia RS50. It happens to be a 01 full size Dodge. The door height is a bit lower than the GM and Ford I believe. I can get my DR350SE (and 250) in van as long as I remove the mirrors and headlight fairing. My 250 Ninja will roll right in, no disassembly required.

I carry in van a 9' ramp (max length that will fit, a pair of 2X6's with central spine) for loading. With this grade it works out that I can manage around 300lbs in and out of the van. I use a Condor unit as a front wheel chock. I carry a cooler too within which I store my riding gear (ATGATT) and use as a step getting in and out.

I work out of this van and almost always have the DR200SE (mirrors have to come on and off) in van for parts chasing. This really cuts my fuel expenses down (15 vs 100mpg) plus it's great to get out for the ride. With the paniers and rack I can haul lots of stuff, talk about utility.

The DR250SE I picked up is a 93 and is almost identical to my 94 350. It is typical of a 14 yr old bike in that it has received little maintenance and will need to be completely gone through, been there done that, and will again. Will post pic soon. I have a pic of my 350 somewhere in the DR350/250 picture thread. You can shortcut the process by checking my posts via my username.

As previously mentioned I am a fan of the baby Ninja. If you can live with it's 28 hp and ergos you've got it made. Don't forget to change the final to at least a 15:42 for better highway performance. The posers will never be happy with it because of it's lack of flash but I found it extremely capable but few give it the chance.

steve gs screwed with this post 08-20-2007 at 06:05 AM
Old 08-20-2007, 09:46 AM   #764
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,667
That's a neat idea to always have the DR200 in the back for scooting around. I have almost the same rig, a full size '94 Dodge van that the bikes fit nicely within. We often go to Tucson for a couple weeks mid-winter on a business trip and it completely changes the trip to have the 200s along. For the better of course.

You have a serious case of multiple bike syndrome. Although I guess I do too. I'd love to have the 250 or 350 also.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #765
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay

You have a serious case of multiple bike syndrome. Although I guess I do too. I'd love to have the 250 or 350 also.

Klay, it may be more serious than that.

Anyway, after fitting a new set of Bridgestone Trailwings (TW301 and 302) on the 200 I noticed the sound level was picking up from the tires not being balanced. I parked the bike so I would not ruin it's new shoes figuring on whether I would pay someone to balance or buy a balancer myself and do the job.

Just in time in the BMWMOA Owners News was an article on the product offerred by Innovative Balancing (www.dynabeads.com) for balancing wheels/tires. What this amounts to is the insertion of approx 1 oz of ceramic beads (for my application) into the tube through the valve stem.

Since the application I have put 200 miles on the tires the bike is much smoother. The front end is perfect but I may add another 1/8 oz to the rear. The tire noise is gone. This method may be an ideal solution for those of us using aggressive d/s tires on hardpack or surfaced roads at speeds exceeding 35mph, check it out.