Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2007, 05:58 AM   #76
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,220
You are right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Nothing wrong with trailering.... I've often done it to get to a good startiing point for a tour. But if you're just using the bike as a runabout at the end of the day with the bulk of the touring in the car, I think it lacks the essence of true motorcycle touring - it's car touring with a motorcycle for running around.

The essence of touring for me is being self-sufficient and traveling signfiicant distances with just the bike and my gear. And the essence of this thread is how to do this in a minimilist sort of way. Adding a Jeep to the gear isn't very minimal.

- Mark
Sorry to have gotten off on a tangent.
This is a thread about how to do motorcycle touring simply and
in a minimalist way. Glad we have it.
I'm always looking for ways to expand my adventure horizon and wanted to
mention one way of doing that.
Had to laugh about Mountain Man's story of taking his bike up to Maine, cause I'm looking for a way to get down to his WVA hills and spend some time up in Dolly Sods territory.
Just load it up and ride that thing!
I will post a pic of some tank panniers I'm working on fitting to the 2fiddy
when they are finished.
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:04 AM   #77
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
My wife's DR200SE arrives next Saturday. Since I have my KLR set up just like I want it, the DR becomes my winter project. First thing is off with the muff and carb and ship them to Keintech for mods. Next is gearing; but I have a question or two that maybe you can help me with....

1. Which sprocket to change ? Is a larger counter-sprocket (the one on the engine side) available thru Suzuki, or do I have to order it online ? Is it the same part number as that for the DRZ400 ? (or a unique DR200SE-only part) Is there a favored website that sells these things (I presume so...)

2. Once I chg the countersprocket, will I need to add links to the chain, or can the difference be adjusted out on the swingarm ?

3. Are stronger springs available ? My KLR was heinously undersprung, seemingly designed for a 120# rider. I changed front and rear, now it's perfect! My guess is that even at high degrees of preload the sag will be excessive.

4. Is there a Clymer manual available ? Even the Google search doesn't list one....

Thanks for the help. MinTourers are beginning to get the respect they deserve !

Coop

Outwardbound screwed with this post 02-10-2007 at 07:54 AM
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #78
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,220
What's Cooking?

I got a kick out of the Pepsi can stove. It looks like it might put out a bit more heat than the old Sterno stove I pack in my kit. Been thinking about one of those JetBoil rigs, but I don't know if that much $$ is worth it for what I would use it for. My cook kit is a 40 yr old "Official BSA Mess Kit"
This has certainly been discussed on other threads, but how much "cooking" do most of you do when trekking about on your MT machine?
In New England it is hard to get too far from a diner or some sort of place to get food ; even when you are in some of the more "remote" camping areas. Most of what I and some riding partners have done have been simple campfire meals like hot dogs or tinfoil dinners over the fire. Usually not anything requiring a lot of preparation. About all I use a stove for is to brew a cup of joe or tea to have with a breakfast bar in the morning or heat up a can of beans or noodles if the weather prevents a fire at night. Otherwise most of my serious eating is out on the road or when we come out of the woods near some civilization.
Any Gourmet MT riders out there? Whatcha cooking on your travels?
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:34 PM   #79
otto
UAW

Oddometer: 851
Here's my hero, I met him on the way to Alaska last summer. He was from Australia, had the bike shipped to Argentina and was headed for Prudhoe Bay. I passed him about 3 times, I don't think the mighty 200cc Yamaha could do much over 45mph up hill
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #80
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,509
My camp cooking often consists of Mountain House dehydrated meals. They're so very portable, not too expensive, and all you've got to do is boil the H2O. At the end of a long day, they taste mighty damn good, too. I always have tea bags, and my riding partner has a kick-ass little portable coffee maker. I use an aluminum BSA-style mess kit, but have perfected cooking bacon, scrapple, sausage, etc. in it. Another lightweight hot meal is to get bags of red beans and rice from the "ethnic" section of the grocery store. Fry up some sausage and toss into one of these, and it's one burner gourmet time!!!
CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #81
notarex
Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer: 1,213
Cooking over and/or next to a fire is way more rewarding and yummy than getting the same old crap from a diner. Most of my cooking is done in tin foil, but the stove is good for boiling water for coffee, noodles, rice etc. especially in the morning when the fire is out.
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #82
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,178
I like to use a Coleman dual fuel stove, since the fuel in the stove and MSR bottle double as spare fuel for the bike.

Everything tastes so good when prepared outdoors, when you're actually hungry, and especially when I have a campfire going to cook over.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #83
Moat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
My mini-ADVtour rig -

In 30+ yrs. of riding, I've toured on a number of bigger bikes - IMO, there are many advantages to touring on a small displacement motorcycle (simplicity, weight, cost, efficiency, etc...)... one of the more important ones being their conservative power more-or-less "limits" the rider to sitting back, relaxing, and enjoying the surroundings. For me, it's all about getting lost on backroads... the less-traveled/more remote, the better.

Set up camp, unload the bike, and spend a few days exploring the local trails/roads in the area. Dirt cheap adventuring - can't beat it!!

Although the general ergonomics of a small-ish DS can be pretty close to ideal in terms of long-range comfort, the seats themselves often leave something to be desired (narrow, stiff, poorly shaped, etc...). After playing around with a half-dozen or so types of foam for my KLR's seat (including Seargent's Super-Cell Atomic foam), I settled on multiple layers of 6 lb. Lowe's 1/2" carpet padding (small bluish-greenish-yellow urethane foam chunks, glued together). Feels very firm at first (just like a Corbin), but magically conforms to my boney arse within a few minutes... and is all-day comfy. Superior comfort to the others I tried, and widely available/cheap.

FWIW, I spend the majority of the time on the KLR250 @ 50-55 mph (a comfortable engine speed for extended periods w/16t c-shaft sprocket) - and the little burro's counterbalanced engine is remarkably smooth... vibration is not an issue, whatsoever. 70+ mpg, fully loaded.

I've only had the chance to do a handful of 3-4 day weekends (500-700 mi. per) so far - but if I had the $$ and time, I wouldn't hesitate to hop on it tomorrow and cross the country. (Arrgh... If only!!)
Attached Images

Moat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:11 PM   #84
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwardbound
My wife's DR200SE arrives next Saturday. Since I have my KLR set up just like I want it, the DR becomes my winter project. First thing is off with the muff and carb and ship them to Keintech for mods. Next is gearing; but I have a question or two that maybe you can help me with....

1. Which sprocket to change ? Is a larger counter-sprocket (the one on the engine side) available thru Suzuki, or do I have to order it online ? Is it the same part number as that for the DRZ400 ? (or a unique DR200SE-only part) Is there a favored website that sells these things (I presume so...)

2. Once I chg the countersprocket, will I need to add links to the chain, or can the difference be adjusted out on the swingarm ?

3. Are stronger springs available ? My KLR was heinously undersprung, seemingly designed for a 120# rider. I changed front and rear, now it's perfect! My guess is that even at high degrees of preload the sag will be excessive.

4. Is there a Clymer manual available ? Even the Google search doesn't list one....

Thanks for the help. MinTourers are beginning to get the respect they deserve !

Coop
On my 97 DR200SE the OEM final is 15:45. You can check but if I remember right there are no other options available from Suzuki. However, Sprocket Specialities will make you wheel sprockets but not sure if they offer a counter sprocket, you would probably want a 16 if it will clear and they offer one.

The 200 engine will pull like a mule with the OEM final but will come up short in the top end dept(darn 5spd). A decent compromise is to try a 15:42 final (reduce wheel sprocket size for more top end and links would need to removed from OEM chain length). You still have good low end performance plus another 6mph at the top. I'm tempted to try a 15:40 but it may to tall at the bottom.

I've stated this before so others must be tired of hearing this but I set my bikes up at a "cruise" rpm (you private pilots and marine operators know what I mean) where the engine runs easy and on the 200 that works out to be 4500-4800 rpm. With a large load, headwinds, or grades you may have to increase that a bit.

With the OEM final that is about 37 mph and with the 15:42 about 42-45mph (4500-4800). I travel at this "cruise" but there are times I have to pick it up to manage traffic and once clear resume my cruise.

I run a stock engine system with the extended pilot screw offered by Jesse. I want to keep the bike as quiet as possible and like the current mileage and range. If I have to have more I'll ride my 350 or 650. I like the 200 for what it is.

So far I have not found anything in the fork spring area. Progressive has bike listed but nothing offered. Check with Jesse on this; I haven't and then tell us! A rear shock is available from Works and you can specify to them rider/gear weight for a spring (will cost about some 320 clams). Currently I'm using the OEM item with the preload adjusted to max (OEM position is usually midpoint) and had ridden 2up with my daughter (160 + 90lbs with riding gear) in the past with no problems.

I have the Suzuki manual for the 200 not sure about the Clymer.

steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:15 PM   #85
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moat
My mini-ADVtour rig -

In 30+ yrs. of riding, I've toured on a number of bigger bikes - IMO, there are many advantages to touring on a small displacement motorcycle (simplicity, weight, cost, efficiency, etc...)... one of the more important ones being their conservative power more-or-less "limits" the rider to sitting back, relaxing, and enjoying the surroundings. For me, it's all about getting lost on backroads... the less-traveled/more remote, the better.

I wouldn't hesitate to hop on it tomorrow and cross the country. (Arrgh... If only!!)
Ditto here, even the 30+ years part.

You know we need a late summer or early fall rally somewhere in the middle of the country, anyone have any ideas.

steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #86
T125
Slightly Overdressed

Oddometer: 278
Hey, Moat!

That's a great looking set-up. What sort of luggage do you have?

* MotoFizz seat bag? Which size?
* What are your panniers/tankbag (they seem to match)?
* Have you got racks under there too?
* Your tank panniers seem to be the Tractor Supply type that a lot of folks are raving about here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196530

Sorry for all the Qs, but I'm trying to outfit my Sherpa from scratch and still stuggling with hard bags vs. soft, racks vs. heat shield, etc.

Do you worry about exceeding the GVWR?
T125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #87
Moat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
Ditto here, even the 30+ years part
Yeah... the older I get, the more it seems I'm coming around full-circle - back to the smaller bikes, like I started on.

Pretty soon, I'll probably be over here touting the adventure-touring capabilities of a Ruttman minibike or Solex moped...
Old 02-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #88
Moat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T125
* MotoFizz seat bag? Which size?
* What are your panniers/tankbag (they seem to match)?
* Have you got racks under there too?
* Your tank panniers seem to be the Tractor Supply type that a lot of folks are raving about here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196530
Do you worry about exceeding the GVWR?
Hey T125 -

Yup - MotoFizz large... great bag... it's nice having the room, but I'd probably go medium next time... it's fine on a bigger streetbike, but looks almost silly on the little KLR!

The panniers/tankbag are just some old Eclipse stuff I bought waay back around '80 - gettin' a little tatty 'round the edges - but still gets the job done, so I continue to use 'em. Eclipse still sells a similar tankbag, but I wouldn't recommend it for a typical DS bike - it's too wide (hits handlebars @ full lock), and doesn't agree with the backslope of a typical DS tank. Something like a Wolfman Explorer would be better, I'd imagine.

Racks - Tail rack is the factory Kawasaki accessory part (purchased from Dual-Star, IIRC). For the sides, I made my own standoff brackets from (1" x 3/16" x 4' - as far as I can remember) rolled steel stock (Tractor Supply) - bent, cut, hammered, drilled, painted, and covered w/a bicycle inner tube. The panniers don't attach to those - they just provide something to keep the loaded packs from bustin' up the sidecovers, or melting on the muffler. About $15 in materials and an afternoon's effort - work great, and look fine/minimal when the bags are off.

Yup - Tractor Supply tank panniers! Too inexpensive to pass up!

As far as GVWR... I don't really worry about it, as fully loaded (like in the pic) is probably only an additional 60-70 lbs. - less than a small passenger. Being I'm only about 150 lbs., I wouldn't think it's an issue.

Here's a pic with a little "lighter" touring setup - Eclipse tailpack and MotoUSA EXL soft saddlebags (also too inexpensive to pass up!) -
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2007, 07:44 PM   #89
Moat
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's a few pics showing the factory Kaw rack and homemade side brackets. In the top view, notice the arch bent into the side brackets - important to stiffen up the otherwise somewhat flexible flat stock. No inward flex noticed, even heavily loaded...
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2007, 07:46 PM   #90
Moat
Gnarly Adventurer

And a side view -
Attached Images