User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #91
T125
Slightly Overdressed

Oddometer: 278
Thumb

Thanks a ton for the speedy reply, Moat! Love your "light" set-up too.

WOW! That's a great job and a very clean install on your standoffs. I know zero about metal fabrication...did you need a mandrel to do the bending/curvature of the stock?

All the specific product names are a big help too. I'm looking at the Wolfman Enduro; another guy who owns a KLR250 and a KLR650 said he loves the Explorer/Explorer Lite, but in his opinion they are too big for the 250. Hmmm...

Good to know your load is only 60-70 pounds. It looks like more, but you just must pack "big" not "heavy." I'm about 165-170 these days so I've got almost as much wiggle room as you do (assuming the Sherpa/KLR250 GVWRs are similar).

Thanks again. I may plague you with a few PMs as I get closer to spending the tax refund!
T125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:01 PM   #92
Moat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by T125
...did you need a mandrel to do the bending/curvature of the stock?
Nah... this stuff is easy enough to make mild (but imprecise) bends by hand (say, over your knee) - and sharp bends using a bench vise/hammer. Although - to make the milder bends nice and even/progressive (to match the sidecover's curvature), I used a medium sized ball peen's flatter side to hammer on one side of the stock, against the vise's flat anvil surface. That lightly compresses the side you're hammering on, making it gently curl up and away from the anvil. Wear earplugs, tho!

I used a few 1" strips of cardboard (cereal box, I think) as templates, to figure out the bend and drill points etc... just sorta bent around 'til it looked about right, marked with a pen, and cut/bent the steel to match. Pretty easy, really!

Hopefully your Sherpa has available bolt holes/attach points to make something similar work, if you decide to give it a try. I may have lucked out, in that regard...

Yeah - was a sorta cold week on that ride... lots of high volume/low mass stuff (warm sleeping bag/jacket/clothes) went along. More than I needed... but still had room to spare. No reason being cold, if you don't have to!

Cheers
Moat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #93
LoveHateKLR
Slow 'n Easy

Oddometer: 157
Little bikes rock

One mistake I've made was selling a Honda Rebel to buy a KLR650. I just enjoyed the little Rebel more. It's perhaps the only motorized thing I have owned that exceeded my expectations. However I will admit that the idea of piloting a Rebel on the I-294 tollway around Chicago doesn't appeal to me at all.

I split from south of Green Bay WI once and didn't stop until I was almost all the way to the Apostle islands. I camped overnight In Mellon WI and had a great time. It took a buggerload of bungee cords to get the job done but I wanted to ride. For 300 miles a day I rode to my heart's content. A great ride that cleansed the soul.

I did run into a father and son riding boxers together and they got away from me quickly. I'm sure they thought I'd lost my mind.

I think that it's more important to have a motorized cycle than a motor that happens to have a cycle.

Thanks for this thread. I'm going to read, think and seriously reconsider the goals I have for my motorcycle ownership and riding.

Mark

LoveHateKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #94
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
The Nighthawk 250 hasn't come up yet in this thread. To me, this bike is the most tour-worthy of the small bikes.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #95
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,219
So, when we going?

Ok, Bob. Let me know when you are ready.....
Excellent rig.
I still like that idea of a raid rally of MT riders.
Maybe in the UP some time or down in the hills and hollers of WVA
Driller
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #96
SIKLR250 OP
NYC

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
The Nighthawk 250 hasn't come up yet in this thread. To me, this bike is the most tour-worthy of the small bikes.
- Mark
Hey Mark,

Tell us more about the merits of the Nighthawk!

SIKLR250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #97
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
T125
For your Super Sherpa, there's also a Happy Trails side rack arrangement that looks pretty good. There are some pictures in the photos section in an album labeled "front rack" in the 1999-2003_SuperSherpa@yahoogroups.com board.

I'm considering it myself, but understand it's not cheap.

Moat
I like your metal work. Especially the bicycle tube covering - GREAT IDEA!

I've just got a couple of low mileage Sherpas that I'm equipping as we speak. Can't wait until the weatehr breaks this spring and get out on them.
ny-wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #98
mcmiketh'bike
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Me too! You guys wouldn't believe what I paid for a 1970 Honda CL100 off E-bay. (I've paid less for some good used cars!) But it's been absolutely worth it! Everywhere I ride this thing. people stop me and either ask if it's for sale, or tell me a story about their early days 'on two wheels'. I probably had just as much fun in the late '60s on my Honda C100 Cub as I do today on my ZX10 or KLR. Really! Admit it guys.... you probably did too! Smaller bikes are just as much fun. Remember well a motojournalist taking a trip from NY to LA on a Honda 50 when they first appeared on our shores. I now fantasize of making that same trip on this 'CL' following wife in motorhome, on some back roads. Yeah, I'll take some good pics.

By the way, I'd love one of those Jaehling 125 or 200 DualSports too, but last time I checked they weren't DOT compliant. Anybody know what's up with that?
mcmiketh'bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:37 AM   #99
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,816
Now I'm really itching to get my little 250 out of hibernation, and here we are with 8-10" of snow on the ground. I already have my kitchen pass to disappear for three or four days as soon as the weather allows. I've been spending my spare time the past few days building stoves. I made the canning wax version, but haven't tested it. I also made the Pepsi can stove, and wow! Boiled 1 cup of water in three minutes, and 1 ounce of alcohol burned for almost 10 minutes. Total cost for the Pepsi can stove: $3.50 for JB Weld that I still have most of, plus two Bud Lights. And let's be honest, I was going to drink them anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions on those!
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:59 AM   #100
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,430
I can play now too! Just got an 05 TW200 this weekend. I took it in the dirt over the weekend and I'll be doing it again this weekend.
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:23 AM   #101
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moat
Hey T125 -

Yup - MotoFizz large... great bag...
Put a medium on my 650 and yes an excellant product. Will buy a small for my 200 because the medium is even too wide. Until I fitted the panniers I used the Wolfman Mini-Beta, another fine item.

There is a 250 Rebel meet and other 250's as well in Florida in a few weeks. This was posted on the Tiddler Touring Society site and can be linked to via

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...ety/message/31

if you link through, you can end up at www.rebelcatalog.com check out the trike!!

On this idea of a rally/raid (one or more? ) we may have to have a western and eastern to get people together initially. Being east of the Mississippi myself maybe Kentucky, W. VA, or other (?) in a great riding area would be the ticket. Include a suggestion in your post and we'll see how this sorts out.

steve gs screwed with this post 02-13-2007 at 07:37 AM
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:49 AM   #102
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKLR250
Tell us more about the merits of the Nighthawk!
The big one is that it is a twin, so it's probably got an extra 5-hp over the singles and is much smoother. And it's a a conventional street motorcycle, not a dual-sport, so lower seat height, standard ergos, wider seat. More room for luggage, you might even be able to fit a small set of hardbags.

Granted, it doesn't have the dirt capability of the dual-sport singles, so not a good choice if you're doing any serious dirt, but I'd think it a much better steet bike than any of the 250cc singles.

Drum front brake sucks though.

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcy...ModelId=CB2507

- Mark
Old 02-13-2007, 12:02 PM   #103
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
The big one is that it is a twin, so it's probably got an extra 5-hp over the singles and is much smoother. And it's a a conventional street motorcycle, not a dual-sport, so lower seat height, standard ergos, wider seat. More room for luggage, you might even be able to fit a small set of hardbags.

Granted, it doesn't have the dirt capability of the dual-sport singles, so not a good choice if you're doing any serious dirt, but I'd think it a much better steet bike than any of the 250cc singles.

Drum front brake sucks though.

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcy...ModelId=CB2507

- Mark
Yah, but at least a modern TW200 has a front disc brake.

gas_pig70 screwed with this post 02-13-2007 at 12:28 PM
gas_pig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #104
BikerDave
Greybeard Rider

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmiketh'bike
Me too! You guys wouldn't believe what I paid for a 1970 Honda CL100 off E-bay. (I've paid less for some good used cars!) But it's been absolutely worth it! Everywhere I ride this thing. people stop me and either ask if it's for sale, or tell me a story about their early days 'on two wheels'. I probably had just as much fun in the late '60s on my Honda C100 Cub as I do today on my ZX10 or KLR. Really! Admit it guys.... you probably did too! Smaller bikes are just as much fun. Remember well a motojournalist taking a trip from NY to LA on a Honda 50 when they first appeared on our shores. I now fantasize of making that same trip on this 'CL' following wife in motorhome, on some back roads. Yeah, I'll take some good pics.

By the way, I'd love one of those Jaehling 125 or 200 DualSports too, but last time I checked they weren't DOT compliant. Anybody know what's up with that?
Alot of the china-bikes are EPA compliant now....the Lifan's and Rocketta's come to mind. I'm researching the two now to see what their owners have to say about them. I own several big bikes but no small (<500cc) dual sports so something in the 200-250 class looks like it'd be alot of fun!! Kinda like going back in time...lol!
Old 02-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #105
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_pig70
Yah, but at least a modern TW200 has a front disc brake.
I agree the drum brake sucks, but for a bike that's going to be on a highway, I'll take 250cc twin over a 200cc single and live with the drum brake.

Sorry if you're a fan, but I view TW200's as run-around-the-campground bikes, not much more suited to long-distance touring than a Big Rukus.

- Mark