Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #106
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I agree the drum brake sucks, but for a bike that's going to be on a highway, I'll take 250cc twin over a 200cc single and live with the drum brake.

Sorry if you're a fan, but I view TW200's as run-around-the-campground bikes, not much more suited to long-distance touring than a Big Rukus.

- Mark
I think the whole idea is to take one of those run-around-the-campground bikes on a long-distance gravel/backroad road trip. Kind of like a cross between a bicycle trip and a motorcycle trip. A TW200 would be ideal with it's all terrain wheels.

I'm fascinated by the idea. I have a DR200 I might use for something like that. Actually I did an overnighter already once in Colorado. Two days of riding with one night spent at 10,000 feet in a tent. I would love to extend the idea and spend a week on the road...even doing something like an all gravel road transit of Nebraska.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:17 PM   #107
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
I think the whole idea is to take one of those run-around-the-campground bikes on a long-distance gravel/backroad road trip. Kind of like a cross between a bicycle trip and a motorcycle trip. A TW200 would be ideal with it's all terrain wheels.
My thoughts exactly.... go anywhere you want as long as it's not 100mph.

It seems to work for Harley riders (no offense). Here's a few things that Sportsters and the TW200 have in common.
1. "It's the ride, not the destination"... 'cause you're taking your sweet time getting there.
2. Fat rear tires rule!
3. Small tanks look cool.
4. Chicks dig it.
5. Tubes... check. Spokes... check.
6. Short-legged riders have no fear.

gas_pig70 screwed with this post 02-13-2007 at 10:32 PM
gas_pig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:09 AM   #108
fendermon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
A new AV rider first! a comparo between a tw and a sportster.

Sow a seed of only 19.95 today!
fendermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #109
LoveHateKLR
Slow 'n Easy

Oddometer: 157
Nighthawk advtourer

Hey, I've heard the arguements for and against the Nighthawk 250 and both sides have something to say.

What about a different angle? Use the Nighthawk 250 as the basis for an ADV touring bike project? The result would be something along the lines of a micro Ulysses.

LoveHateKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #110
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
The Nighthawk 250 hasn't come up yet in this thread. To me, this bike is the most tour-worthy of the small bikes.

- Mark
Mark have you been on the yahoo group for the nighthawk.

I frequent there as well. A lot of good info. I am approaching 30,000 miles on my old 1993 nighthawk. Good rig.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #111
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHateKLR
Hey, I've heard the arguements for and against the Nighthawk 250 and both sides have something to say.

What about a different angle? Use the Nighthawk 250 as the basis for an ADV touring bike project? The result would be something along the lines of a micro Ulysses.
I have taken my nighthawk offroad on easy/graded trails. It doesn't do so well due to the POOR quality suspension. Ground clearance is surprisingly good.

I love mine, but wouldn't do another cross country trip unless I put on highway pegs, it bends my knees up too much, maybe I should add a seat cushion to raid my behind an inch or two.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:52 PM   #112
SIKLR250 OP
NYC

Oddometer: 507
Gotta love Lois!

SIKLR250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #113
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,220
Thinking about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs

On this idea of a rally/raid (one or more? ) we may have to have a western and eastern to get people together initially. Being east of the Mississippi myself maybe Kentucky, W. VA, or other (?) in a great riding area would be the ticket. Include a suggestion in your post and we'll see how this sorts out.

Been thinking about maybe trying to gin up an Eastern gathering mid-late September(have a lot of time to think as there is over a foot of snow today with more to come--BLIZZARD!).
If a group from up here doesn't follow through on initial plans for riding the first section of the TAT this fall, I could work the time out.
West Virginia looks like a good location.
I plan to do some scouting in the Cannan Valley/Dolly Sods area on the way home from the Eastern rally in Hot Springs, NC this May.
Just something to "sink your teeth into".
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:56 PM   #114
Cauldron
Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer: 2,899
I went to a weekend thing in Indianapolis a couple of years ago. 300 miles each way and I took my klr 250. The show was good and by Saturday my buddy had caught up and found me. Anyway, by Sunday night it was getting colder and then it started to snow. No chance to leave in the morning because I had to be at work on Monday, so we took the bike apart and put it inside his jeep cherokee.

Try that with a goldwing.

Cauldron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:54 AM   #115
entropysedge
chaos watcher

Oddometer: 53
I bought a XT225 a year ago after hitting too much sugar sand on my SV650S down in the NJ Pine Barrens. I took it camping several times last year and plan to do so this year as well ... the friends I go camping with all have jeeps or other 4 wheel vehicles; I'm the only motorcyclist, tho' I've been working on them.

One of the things I have been leary of is putting my soft saddlebags on the XT because of the high exhaust, I saw that some of you have fabricated brackets, however I'm not that talanted with metal; is there anything out there that I could buy that would work? It would be nice to be able to increase the carrying capacity of my XT.

My XT225 is the first dual-sport that I've owned and other than a few unintentional misadventures, last year is really the first time that I've ridden offroad. Being very short, the XT is a good fit.
entropysedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:46 AM   #116
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,456
Happy-trail.com makes pannier racks for the XT225.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:59 AM   #117
Cornbread Red
Fart's dust

Oddometer: 1,529
[quote=

One of the things I have been leary of is putting my soft saddlebags on the XT because of the high exhaust, I saw that some of you have fabricated brackets, however I'm not that talanted with metal; is there anything out there that I could buy that would work? It would be nice to be able to increase the carrying capacity of my XT.

For light duty stuff, like going camping once in a while, you might consider tossing together a PVC pipe dealio to hold the bags away from the pipe. Use cement on the joints, and check it from time to time... -It ain't gonna be 20-year bombproof.

Chip
Old 02-15-2007, 08:40 AM   #118
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread Red
For light duty stuff, like going camping once in a while, you might consider tossing together a PVC pipe dealio to hold the bags away from the pipe. Use cement on the joints, and check it from time to time... -It ain't gonna be 20-year bombproof.

Chip
Chip, that sounds like a great solution, but how would you go about mounting something like that to the bike? I can picture something like two rectangles on either side of the bike with bars connecting them maybe across the top of the seat and under the fender, but how do you keep the whole contraption from slipping right off?

Bart
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:16 AM   #119
Cornbread Red
Fart's dust

Oddometer: 1,529
Well, I was assuming you had a rear rack to start with. There's a few racks available for the 225. I use the Load Lord sold by the site owner at www.xt225.com

A trip to the plumbing dept. at the hardware store will get some metal pipe clamps.. -then it's just some bolts, nuts (use lock washers or Nylock nuts) and you're there.

Chip
Old 02-15-2007, 10:03 AM   #120
T125
Slightly Overdressed

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller
Been thinking about maybe trying to gin up an Eastern gathering mid-late September SNIP I plan to do some scouting in the Cannan Valley/Dolly Sods area on the way home from the Eastern rally in Hot Springs, NC this May. Just something to "sink your teeth into".
Could be durn chilly at that altitude in late September, but it sounds great, driller! Keep us posted...
T125 is offline   Reply With Quote