User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2007, 04:25 AM   #31
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 684
Baghira Brake Pads

Hey, just a heads up for anybody checking in. If you need front brake pads for your Baghira or Mastiff, check in with Dave at dave@motorace.com. I just found them, they have two compounds of the GoldFren brand for $20 shipped to your door (US)! A regular road compound, and a race compound.

kman

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:24 AM   #32
Timan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
MZ Baghira

I did a search for info. on this bike and while I'm sure most of the post still apply, I am looking for current opinions. I ran across a '03 street version model with 5500 miles and bone stock. Still has the original tires on it. From what I can determine the MZ is a compilation of parts; none specific that couldn't be replaced if needed since they are out of business. For those with experience with this bike, how does it compare to the current motards? Also the guy is asking $3900 obo. Price seems a little high? Are there any generic problems I should look for? Lastly it is a Calif. bike. Is it stifled down? Thanks for your input/opinions as I do not know anything about these bikes.
Timan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:43 PM   #33
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
MZ Baggy is the Yamaha XTZ660 motor. It is a GREAT motor, has potential to go to 80hp, and is the motor in the Yamaha Raptor 4 wheeler. You can get parts for the mtoro anywhere there is a Yamaha dealer, and supermotojunkie.com is a great source for MZ information in the manufacturers section under MZ. I had a MZ125Sm which I loved but it was too slow for me. Heres a pic
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #34
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timan
I did a search for info. on this bike and while I'm sure most of the post still apply, I am looking for current opinions. I ran across a '03 street version model with 5500 miles and bone stock. Still has the original tires on it. From what I can determine the MZ is a compilation of parts; none specific that couldn't be replaced if needed since they are out of business. For those with experience with this bike, how does it compare to the current motards? Also the guy is asking $3900 obo. Price seems a little high? Are there any generic problems I should look for? Lastly it is a Calif. bike. Is it stifled down? Thanks for your input/opinions as I do not know anything about these bikes.
BTW, that isn't too much for an MZ Baghira in that condition. I think they also used Domino brake parts, and other Itallain design off the shelf parts, the plastic is all Acerbis and avail;able off the net. Show a pic Ill tell ya if it is worht it or not.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:23 PM   #35
Timan
Gnarly Adventurer

Mz

Sniper, thanks for the input. My initial look at the bike did not show any problems. I am going to check it out again over the weekend. The tires as I said are original so I probably need to replace. Both are 17" as you know; I haven't checked but I hope they are readily accessible. Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #36
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

try the www.mzriders.com forums

You won't find many owners say anything bad about it. It's pretty much an OEM parts bike really. The tank and plastics are made by Acerbis (all unique to Baghira), the brakes are Grimeca as used on a lot of other bikes like BMW, Aprilia, and even Buell (the back brake), the switch gear and clutch perch is Domino an Italian brand used on a lot of other stuff. The wheels are Behr as used by KTM, the rear shock is WP and fully adjustable, the front fork is the Marzochi Magnum 45mm as used on a number of KTM and Husky dirt bikes. The 660 motor and carb setup is the same as used in the Yam euro bikes like the SRZ660 from the mid to late 90s. etc. etc.

If you ask me $3900 is too much. I paid $3500 for a 2003 model with less than 2000km in Feb 2006. I just bought a 2004 with 11K km this summer for $3500 with an M4 exhaust and Sargent modified seat. Either way, the bikes are a friggin scream, never fails to bring a smile every ride.

Baggi'tard screwed with this post 10-03-2007 at 04:35 AM
Old 10-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #37
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timan
For those with experience with this bike, how does it compare to the current motards?Are there any generic problems I should look for? Lastly it is a Calif. bike. Is it stifled down? Thanks for your input/opinions as I do not know anything about these bikes.
Sorry, missed your other questions. Let's see, current motards include a 400 and new 250 by Yamaha. While this bike is bigger and heavier, its also a 660 and is most certainly a better "road" bike. At least you can ride the damn thing ALL day and be comfortable. Or you can get a Husky 610 or KTM 6xx something. Both of which are at least double the price of the MZ, and probably twice as labor intensive. And the motor is pretty smooth, unlike your typical KTM LC4. I lead multi-day rides with guys on diverse stuff like KTM 950A, VFR, and Speed Triple, so don't think it can't do sport-touring duty as well as all the other motard shenanigans. Don't think the California bikes were any differnent. They all came with a BMW charcoal canister stuck on the left side of the motor. Which is the first thing to get lopped off by everybody.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #38
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Since SniperX posted a bike of that sweet 125SM.. here's the various things the MZ can excel at..
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #39
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

And...after the sweet little jewell of a bike, my MZ125SM, I went bigger and blacker....a little ugly but way fast....
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #40
Timan
Gnarly Adventurer

mz

Baggi'Tard, sent you a pm. Timan.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #41
sm2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
MZ still in business

MZ is still in business in Europe; no longer distributing in the U.S. Parts are still available from Europe and can be had within 3-5 days. Check with dealers who previously sold MZ and are willing to still order the parts from Germany. Or check online. Good luck!
sm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:38 AM   #42
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
And...after the sweet little jewell of a bike, my MZ125SM, I went bigger and blacker....a little ugly but way fast....
that IS uglier, but I guess that is part of the charm. HFS, that bike behind it must REALLY be ugly though if you had to cover it up to demonstrate how ugly the Honda was.! Still think that 125 is one cool friggin little scoot. No doubt slow, but for a little commuting or short track/gnarly road duty I gotta think it was great?

Old 10-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #43
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Got rid of the piece of shit Baja Designs tail light kit after the second "sealed" LED tail light rusted out and failed. Replaced with the Acerbis Enduro Taillight kit. That taillight has a normal tail/stop bulb so at least I can replace the bulb when it burns out. The Acerbis looks better too, and fit nicely.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #44
MSW1
Lost and Confused

Oddometer: 42
Being one of the few Baggy owners around here, I feel it's my duty to keep this thread alive.

Hey Baggi'tard, do you have issues with your exhaust, uhh... melting your turn signal?

When I first put my upswept holeshot can on the Baggy (roughly the same position as yours), about 100 miles down the road, I found my right rear (stock) turn signal dangling by the wires. Nearest I can tell, the heat from the exhaust softened the plastic up so that the lense screw backed out. Luckily, the lense was the only thing to go. The housing and reflector were haning by the wire.

I'm thinking of moving the rear signals down to the steel tube/hoop thing that I left on when I did the tail-fender-ectomy. Or just mounting some flush aftermarket signals to the sides of the tail.

Or maybe I can tune the damn thing so it doesn't run so lean...

Anyway, I'll try to post pics of the many mods I've done recently to keep this mini Baggy community going.
1966 Honda CL77 Scrambler

I like my beer like I like my women - cold, dark, and bitter.
MSW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:50 AM   #45
Baggi'tard OP
Assventure rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSW1
Being one of the few Baggy owners around here, I feel it's my duty to keep this thread alive.

Hey Baggi'tard, do you have issues with your exhaust, uhh... melting your turn signal?
NOOP! it just gets a little sooty.