User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
honcho OP
Barley Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
40mm bings...

assuming i contact the original owner and get permission, i would consider "upgrading" my stock 32mm bings with some 40mms that i found (attached to a whole bike in a friend's basement). what are the advantages/disadvantages of this mod? anything required other than just swapping them out (and possibly rejetting)? if i were to do this, i would probably rebuild mine while using the 40s, then put them back... rebuild and clean up the 40s, and sell whichever set i didn't need... thanks for your help.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
You shouldn't have to rejet, but the boots, manifold and possibly, the airbox would have to be changed.
I have a pair lying around but have not installed them because, realisticly, I don't often spin the motor higher than 5,000 r.p.m. And it's my understanding that that is where any performance gains would be. With a proportional loss below 5K.
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
chiefrider
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,225
I own a '93 GSPD, Canadian/Euro spec. It has 40's, and bigger valves and different cam, I'm told. I've never had it apart.

My brother has a '93 GSPD, US spec. Of course, he runs 32's. We weigh in at similiar weights, me being a bit heavier than he. We keep our bikes in pretty good tune.

Comparisons are inevitable. Top gear roll-ons from 55 mph has him edging slowly away from me until about 80-85 mph, and then I gain a little more steam.

I wouldn't bother with the conversion unless you were going to match the cam, valves, etc. The gains are minor for the work and expense.

My $0.02
chiefrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
widebmw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
You would have to change the air tubes to the air box, tubes to the heads and the tubes that screw into the heads.
The 40mm has a longer pull so you need to get new gears in the throttle and new cables.
widebmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
save your money

did the swap on my 91'pd several years ago.you'll get about 5 mph on top,loose some mid-range.took the 40 mm carbs off and went back to the 32 mm.there are better ways of getting a better running gs.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtduck E900
did the swap on my 91'pd several years ago.you'll get about 5 mph on top,loose some mid-range.took the 40 mm carbs off and went back to the 32 mm.there are better ways of getting a better running gs.
Yeah, like cutting the airbox snorkels in half.
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
honcho OP
Barley Adventurer

cool... doesn't really sound like it's worth the effort. although i may still (assuming i get my hands on them) rebuild them and clean em up... good practice, and i can probabaly hock em for more than time spent and the cost of a rebuild.
thanks fellas
Old 02-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,728
dittos on the above-- the 40's are s'posed to shine on the high end, and nowhere else on the powerband. In the neighborhood where most Boxers are sweetest (sub 5000rpm), the 32's are fine, and probably even optimal.

True, the hotter 'performance' airheads (RS, CS etc) had 40's up to 79 or so (US models, that is), but these had hotter cams and comp ratios too; think about the intended performance envelope for these specials.

Everyone assumes BMW downsized the 1980's 1000cc carbs to 32mm in the States strictly for emissions compliance-- that may in fact be historically correct, but in my opinion 40mm Bings on a GS that sees dirt and urban combat are inefficient. Euro 1000cc GS's certainly did wear 40's stock, but think about their market.

Now, 40's on an RT or something that will be an interstate warrior may indeed benefit from such a swap. For my money the GS likes the 32's.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #9
honcho OP
Barley Adventurer

i think my bike likes it up above 5 the best... true it has good power all the way through, but it seems to really shine/prefer to run at 4500 to 6000. i don't think i'll go the route of the 40s though. my gas mileage already sucks.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:14 AM   #10
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomech
Yeah, like cutting the airbox snorkels in half.

you serious? what about using a K&N air filter? many say it's an easy and cheap performance upgrade.
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:24 AM   #11
wintonio
last of the Dum Dum Daze

Oddometer: 1,654
YES, tell us more about this cutting the airbox snorkles in half....

opposedcyl- I am certainly no expert, but lurk around here long enough and you will read many more words of the K&N filter being bad news for airheads, something about the size of the particulates it allows into the carb, into the engine, bad juju. ...I think they are fine to use on Harleys, but only because they usually keep such low mileage, or because nOOb Harley riders like to tip their bikes over with such frequency that the air filters get busted off and have to be replaced, on average, every 30-50 miles or so
wintonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #12
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,472
Wintonio is correct about many many recommedations to not use K&N. In a sense it's logical, it's the same size as a stock filter so the only way to allow more air through is to be less restrictive and thats less filtration. The stock BMW filter works great.

As for modifying your snorkels, I'd do some research before I tried that one also. The stock snorkles are tuned and everyone I've talked to or read on the subject, except for one person, says they should also be left alone. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:04 AM   #13
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,948
fodies

having swapped the 40mm and goodies of my wrecked 77RS to my un-wrecked 78/7 along with the heads and pipes, I saw a much better overall power band...I also lightened the flywheel.
However, the old 32mm with the heavy flywheel just hummmed and ticked over like a dream.
I'm delighted that these 90's GS's have the 32's and I'd suspect it has something to do with low rpm running and mid-range needed for off road apps.
I'm leaving mine be...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:47 AM   #14
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
I was told that the latest 40mm Bings that were on the Euro GSs were the best carbs that Bing produced...............but what I do not know was what the detail differenaces are.

R100 |CS? RS Rt s etc etc all have the same 308 degree cam, The main differance between the EURO and US models was in the inlet valve diameter and the compression ratio.

Charles
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:04 PM   #15
wintonio
last of the Dum Dum Daze

Oddometer: 1,654
Question question for you smart guys

My homeboy Greg, parts manager at the local BMW dealership, gave me a pair of carbs for free , I just need to return what I don't need. My GS is a '92 with 32mm carbs, and he gave me a pair of /9 or 9 series or whatever 32mm carbs. I cleaned one up last night, and realized that there are a few differences between the 2 models. SO, should I switch both, and return him my one working carb, or just switch out the carb that is not working and leave the other alone? I think all gaskets and O-rings will transfer, but the needle set up is totally different, and the jet is slightly different as well. I can't remember now, looking at the Bing blow up pdf which exact model it is listed as on the Bing site.
Anyone have an idea, an experience, a word of advice to offer here?
wintonio is offline   Reply With Quote