Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2007, 10:58 AM   #31
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,208
Wow Don Raton the el Reino Unido...

Great job on the updated battery.

I'm going to read the whole posting right now and learn a few things in the process.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #32
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_mouse
Heh, you're right, it's the rear chassis member I had cut away from my Defender (same as on a series model though) before welding on a new one. My introduction to welding had a pretty steep learning curve :)
Yipee!!!!!!!! MARS bar for me
Old 06-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #33
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,376
Pushing and sucking of fuel pumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
Humn, only thing I can think of has to do with being as low as possible. These pumps need to be as low as possible to function well.
Life Phases of the Stock KTM 950 pump...

1. It pumps... for a while, or until you submerge it...

2. It quits (always at the farthest distance from a new one...)

3. This is now the 'sucking' part..

4. Now you're getting to the pushing part...

Viva Facet!!!

Pointman, of the 40105 Cru'
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #34
camel990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Question two 310s on the 990s

Any thoughts of two odyssey 310s in parallel with one under the seat where the ladies aid goes?
camel990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #35
MotorOlly
Sand basher

Oddometer: 32
Thumb Another PC545 in a KTM Adventure

Hi

First post Wanted to add something to this thread I found after doing my own 535 conversion. The battery problem on the 990 might be even worse than the 950 given that the EFI shuts down and needs to reboot when cranking it over with a weak battery, not to mention running the pump.

I fitted a 545 in to 1050 Tiger with no problem when the battery failed in the cold after only 6 months. After 2 years my 990S Adventure went the same way so rather than fit the same battery I swapped in the PC545 but as UK_Mouse says its not as easy!

UK_Mouse can you update on your battery? How has it been over the last few years? I spoke to someone with a blue 950 who had swapped in the Odyssey battery and used the metal case as a battery box, he said the vibrations knocked the end off the battery eventually! Could it have been the same bike?

Anyway here are some pic of my own conversion keeping the vibrations problem in mind! It mounts on to the existing rubber mounts using the two captive bolts with some top hat spacers which allow the whole box to sit higher up between the cast aluminium brackets. This means the bottom of the box doesn't get close to the bash guard so the rubber mounts still get to do their thing. The box is also lined with about 8mm of sticky foam (two layers of adhesive wood flooring underlay) as is the back of the lid which clamps the battery in place. Fuel pipe is routed the same as UK_Mouses after I found the nice plastic clips in some of the pics hit the bash guard! The original accessory mounting plates were straightened out a little and bolted on the sides of the box, rubber pads put under the contacting areas and then zip ties run under the box to stop any vibrations. Everything is then installed and clipped on to these plates as it originally was. Funnily the bit I'm most pleased with is the rubber stopper off a table leg I cut down and drilled a hole in the side of to feed the positive wire through and protect the positive terminal from shorts

Hope this is of use to someone, thought it was about time I put something back in to the forum! I'm working on casting a new seat foam for the bike, will post when some pics soon.
Attached Images

MotorOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #36
MotorOlly
Sand basher

Don't seem able to post more than more photo at a time so here is another...

Interestingly I found you can also fit a one of the tiny ATV winches in there which got me thinking; off centre hole in the front of the bash plate letting wire out through a fairway, battery relocated with solenoid under the seat.... or maybe just put the winch on the forks like I planned
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #37
MotorOlly
Sand basher

Just a short follow up, battery started to fail after 4-5 yrs of use in some pretty hard condition s so replaced it , same again. But this one lasted less than a year so I got in touch with odyssey to ask about their 2 year guarantee. Not a peep back. They only list one email address and either don't pay attention to their customers or ignore enquires so as not to honour their warranty. Really disappointing, think I'll be looking for another manufacturer next time..,
Old 05-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #38
uk_mouse OP
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Wow thread back from the dead!

Olly - yes it was probably me you spoke to. The Odyssey I fitted lasted a year or two (it was ages ago, can't really remember) but was physically destroyed, presumably by vibration. I'm now back to using a stock battery.

I replaced the standard plug between the reg/rect and battery with a waterproof one, and the main fuse holder with a waterproof item, and haven't had any charging problems since.

uk_mouse screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 01:36 AM
uk_mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:32 AM   #39
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 717
Any chance you could tell / show what fuse holder you used?

Cheers.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #40
uk_mouse OP
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Just something like this, from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATERPROOF...item416f8aa02d

With a small smear of grease around the seal these cheap fuse holders appear to be pretty waterproof.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #41
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 717
Tnks
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote