User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2007, 09:27 PM   #31
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,424
WOW Tim,

Was the "spanish lady" Ausina Amparo? If I am not mistaken, she was the only Spanish female rider this year.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:09 PM   #32
Farioli
"just do it"

Oddometer: 503
WOW.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:01 PM   #33
Makalu
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle
WOW Tim,

Was the "spanish lady" Ausina Amparo? If I am not mistaken, she was the only Spanish female rider this year.
Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:37 AM   #34
65bmwr50
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by matey peeps
Ho

Lee

Sheeeeeeeeeit.

+1

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. - G. K. Chesterton
65bmwr50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:41 AM   #35
bugfnnuts OP
Somewhat Regrouped

Oddometer: 956
Yup, that's her. She was riding a blue bike this year though. Now that I know exactly who it is I shall be sending a very heart felt thank you.

Not me in the Versus video. I wish mine looked like that. Judging from how far I landed from the bike I think mine had more air time. Bet that one hurt though.

The next installment starts the really scary part.

"Dakar must be a race for few people, Dakar is a dream, the dream of the Rose Lake, if everybody finish it, the dream is over" Fabrizio Meoni

A challenge for those who go. A dream for those who stay behind. " Thierry Sabine
bugfnnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #36
Gringo
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349

(love your sig lines too...)

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:18 AM   #37
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,339
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:21 AM   #38
Odysseus
Stoic Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,154
Damn dude, I'm just glad you are still breathing. And I would also like to offer my deepest condolences to you and all of Elmer's family and friends. I'm not sure how you kept going after that, and to be honest I'm not sure what I would have done in your place.

Get well soon, and keep the story coming!

Wounded Warrior Project www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Special Operations Warrior Foundation
www.specialops.org/
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:25 AM   #39
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,893
If it’s any consolation we are all very proud that you represented the riders of the US, you rock dude.

As a very good friend once said, only take rides you remember, your going to remember this one.

I wish you a quick recovery and hope to see you riding again.

Tell Jim hello, I had a great time riding with both of you the last day of the NRE. Taking a few G-outs on Kellons bike and having you right next to me was way fun.

cheers.

john in idaho
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:32 AM   #40
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
hang in there. Mend quickly. Glad you're in one piece.
Sheesh... exciting!
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:46 AM   #41
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,893
I think this should be moved to the racing section
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:57 AM   #42
bugfnnuts OP
Somewhat Regrouped

Oddometer: 956
To recap.

I’ve ridden about 500k’s in some very treacherous conditions, been beaten senseless by a rather solid piece of desert, drugged, air lifted, x rayed, and most of all had deranged pieces placed back in their proper locations.

All in all it has been a pretty busy day.

I am wheeled back into the waiting room that just isn’t quite. You remember. The one with the three double doors and us patients just littered about waiting for someone to come get us. Once again the nice lady comes through the doors to take my after pictures. I am hoping they look better than the before pics. We started to have the same discussion about relocating me for the photos when they came to their senses and decided to just put the plates under me.

They wheel me back out into the hallway and leave.

Here’s the scene. I am in a hospital in Las Palmas, in a hallway, don’t speak Spanish, all my possessions have been spirited away somewhere and oh yeah I have no clothes. It’s not that my clothes are somewhere else. My riding clothes are all that I had with me on today’s little ride. I wasn’t planning on an overnighter someplace besides the bivouac and now
everything has been cut off. This doesn’t mean much now. But it will.

I do have my cell phone with me. Through all of this I have made sure that it did not get misplaced or removed from my reach. This was to prove a verrrrry smart move on my part.

Back to the hallway. I’m just lolling about waiting for what happens next. You see, I have never spent a night in a hospital before. Probably spent the night when I was born but not since. Been broken and battered but never bad enough to keep around. I have seen friends and family in the hospital and they are taken care with doctors, nurses and all sorts of caring people making sure they are OK. My stress level is receding a bit looking forward to a nice comfy room.

I call Bugwife on the cell and she is just beside herself. She had been following on the website and knows something has happened because my little motorcycle quit moving. Everything is ok. Just a dislocated hip. I’ll be fine. Get me a flight out of here so I can heal at home. She’s on it.

After a time a nurse and a guy show up in the hallway. They have something with them I can’t quite make out. He whips out this roll of tape. It is about 4 inches wide. He heads for the inside of my injured leg just below my privates and starts to put this tape down the inside of my leg. Whooooaaaaa!!! Wait a minute there big fella. Just WHAT are we doing here?

Now you must understand I am one of God’s jokes. He took the hair from my head yet placed massive amounts all about the rest of my body. My legs are indeed very hairy and this tape while not appearing to be of great concern to the installer has long term implications for my comfort. That shit is going to have to come off sometime you know.

I speak very forcefully in English, then French with absolutely no effect. He proceeds to run this tape down the inside of my leg around my foot and up the other side making sure to press it down so it sticks real good as he goes. This is then wrapped in an ace bandage. Before I can say WTF they have placed my leg on some type of device and hung a 10lb weight off the end of my foot and the bed.

I…………….. am not happy. Is this really necessary I ask? Yes it is. They tell me my leg needs to be in traction to keep the bones in my hip away from each other. They have done this in such a way that it isn’t pulling straight out on my leg but drops over the end of the bed at better than a 45 degree angle thus insuring extreme pain in my foot and ankle. It is cutting off the circulation to the bottom half of my foot, from arch to heel. They really don’t seem to care. I assure them I am in great discomfort and they assure me it isn’t a problem. That would be a matter of perspective now wouldn’t it?

I am wheeled off down the hall. Ok I think, I’m headed for a room. Just stay calm, relax, you can deal with this. There will likely be another nurse at the room to get all your vitals and stuff. You can plead your case there for the foot issue.

I am so wrong.

We arrive at this big room with about 10 beds in it. They are separated by curtains with each bed having about 3 feet on each side of it. It is about midnight by this point and the other patients are sleeping. They don’t look so good. They’re all old. Some of them have some stuff plugged into them but nothing really being monitored. They stick me next to the wall beside a guy who has really seen better days and leave. I am not terribly impressed by the whole scene but am not in a very good position to a damn thing about it.

A nurse does pop in to take my temp. I tell her about my foot and she asks if I want pain meds. Well, yes that would be nice but a little work on the physics of this device left over from the Inquisition would go a long ways towards making life a lot better and really wouldn’t harm the effectiveness of its mission. Remember I don’t speak Spanish and she doesn’t speak English or French.

She brings the pain meds.

It’s been a busy day and I’m a little tired. I call Bugwife and let her know the situation. She has already been getting flights arranged. I go to sleep thinking this will all work out in the light of day.

I am so wrong for a second time. My time in hell is just beginning.

"Dakar must be a race for few people, Dakar is a dream, the dream of the Rose Lake, if everybody finish it, the dream is over" Fabrizio Meoni

A challenge for those who go. A dream for those who stay behind. " Thierry Sabine
bugfnnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:18 AM   #43
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,087
Dayum, that's gotta smart. I'm just glad you're writing this.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:18 AM   #44
packerboy
WANNA BE ADV RIDER

Oddometer: 38
Great story thank you for sharing it with us. Now how do I explain to my coworkers why I am laughing.
THANKS ANDY
packerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #45
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
I can't imagine the creative scenarios your mind could play on you while in a foreign land... in a hospital where you can't speak the language. ....oh yeah...and you don't have any clothes...

I knew it took courage to ride the Dakar....but hadn't really been aware of this side of the event. Thanks for posting and my hats off to your perseverance.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote