User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2007, 07:10 PM   #136
billy bee
AAdventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
I rode one...almost kilt myself

I rode this thing and let me say, it looks like more fun than it is. When I was working for AMCI, Bombardier contacted me and asked me to design a focus group ride for the Spyder. Before agreeing to do it, they brought the machine to Irvine and I rode it around MCAS El Toro (huge abandoned runway). I think it is the worst of both cars and bikes.

For starters, the steering was impossibly heavy. To get the thing to turn you had to pul incredibally hard on the bars while leaning your body into into the corner. If you did not lean, the thing would try to throw you off. It's that whole centripital force thing...

It had amazing amounts of grip but it would roll like a car in a corner rather than lean, again trying to throw you off the machine. So to ride it safely and aggressively you had to be very physical with it and move your weight around like riding a sidecar outfit.

Then it started to get fun, but I could not move my weight to the inside and pull hard enough on the bars to get it to turn easily. I could not get leverage. So, I tired out pretty quickly.

I did hear tha the focus group reviewed it favorably and I guess they will take it into production. I won't be buying one...

bb

Edit: I se they have electric assist steering. That will help considerably. But I'm still not buying one...
working a little,
playing a little,
and surrounded by friends.

--Ishi: In Two Worlds

billy bee screwed with this post 02-20-2007 at 07:29 PM
billy bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:39 PM   #137
Seeker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bee
I rode this thing and let me say, it looks like more fun than it is. For starters, the steering was impossibly heavy.
Interesting comments.
Do you know if the electronic power steering was functioning when you tested it? Had it been added as standard equipment when you rode it? If not, that would make a huge difference in riding experience. That would be like riding a totally different vehicle.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides

BRP Can-Am Spyder First Look: Adventure Tourer?
:
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:19 PM   #138
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Thanks for the writeup on your site, Bruno. I didn't know Rotax was owned by BRP.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:04 PM   #139
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Like the looks of the Can Am trike. Give it a chance.
"New" is always met with criticism. I, for one, would like to take it for a test ride. Looks like you could pack some gear on it for over the road stuff.

I have friends that might like this scoot for safety/health reasons, yet still want to keep their knees in the wind, as long as they can. More power to them!

I may have to consider a trike, someday (smashed knees and broken back, and chronic pain for 30 years due to MC accidents).

I still ride. Can't quit.

This one looks like it can kick butt, and still keep me rolling and ADV'ing.

I want to check one of these out! Hopefully a test ride, soon!
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #140
Augie_Dogie
Ride More; Post Less

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59
In the USA, the baby-boomers still have all the money. They will continue to have it until they start dying in about 15 years, or so.

Baby boomers start turning 62 in 2008 at the rate of 10-million to 15-million people per year, for 15-years.

If you look at the popularity of HD and Goldwing trike conversions in the USA, you will see this is a growing market.

At only $15k, this Can-Am will be a minimum of 1/2 the price of the conversion trikes.

It will sell, and it will sell well to a diverse crowd of people.

It will bring quad and jet-ski customers, who would never ride on two wheels, over to a street-oriented product.

It will sell to older riders who don't want a sidecar or traditional trike.

This thing will sell like hotcakes.

If I owned a dealership, I'd be looking at adding these to my lineup.
+1

Filling the niche quite nicely I might add
Augie_Dogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:32 PM   #141
ulendo
lunatic fringe

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker
With good winter/ice tires, I wouldn't use studs. You get marginally better traction on ice (compared to ice tires) but greatly diminished traction on road surface.
Just slap a pair of Blizzaks on and go!
It's been many years since I've used studs in winter. Since the advent of ice tires.:
umm I spent 3 years in Montreal - west island/ beaconsfield areas, and studs were definitely the way to go unless you only ever stay in town ( or as are a cheap bastard, and try to use them after the studs are blunt, in which case yes, they suck ). I guess if you buy into the advertising that ice tires are all you need, it explains why there are so many accidents out east, despite the sheet ice, glare ice, black ice, and wonderful cross winds all trying to put you in the ditch in the prairies.

I'll also add that per dept of transport signage, and inspections, there are highways out west that WILL NOT let you use them in winter without studs, or chains....'Ice tires', or not, Hakkapellitas, Blizzaks, crushed walnut compound tires and the like are not the same.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #142
mrfix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
I put a deposit on one of the first run, It's slotted for October 07 delivery. After riding one in San Diego I just can't get the thing out of my mind so I guess I'll just put one in the fleet. I'm getting the silver and black and all the options offered at the time of delivery. I hope it turns out to be as much fun as I think it's going to be, I'm a little concerned about going from 2 wheels to 3 for more than just an afternoon.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #143
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,754
Three wheeled are coming like it or not...

A Ducati rider friend was following a Piaggio MP3 on CA HWY 150, which for those of you that don't know, ain't a straight road. It is a twisty mountain road that goes from the coast to Ojai. Anyway, he was riding behind a Piaggio MP3 and he said it was haulin ass fast up the twisty road and handling like a two-wheeled sport bike!
I can tell you that I would buy / ride a Piaggio MP3 before riding on a Harley!
These vehicles will be accepted in Europe as a serious mode of transportation. In general, I doubt the American public's ego will be able to be seen in anything that doesn't make a lot of noise, use a ton of fuel or allow the driver to sit high above traffic...
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #144
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix
I put a deposit on one of the first run, It's slotted for October 07 delivery. After riding one in San Diego I just can't get the thing out of my mind so I guess I'll just put one in the fleet. I'm getting the silver and black and all the options offered at the time of delivery. I hope it turns out to be as much fun as I think it's going to be, I'm a little concerned about going from 2 wheels to 3 for more than just an afternoon.

Care to share some impressions of your test ride? Clearly you enjoyed it!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:35 AM   #145
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker
That shouldn't be a worry. It'll give a whole different set of grins as you power drift around corners with the stability control mediating unruly behaviour. No risk of lowside. Power out using a good dollop of that V-twin grunt, knowing that traction control is at standby. Hey, technology doesn't work miracles. But it's nice to have.

You just need to be less static with your upper body. Kind of like with snowmobiles. I would think that Spyder will be a hoot to scoot through the twisties.

Maybe more importantly, it might allow a rider to go off and explore with more confidence when sport touring. A typical hardpack or gravel road no longer causes the same concern when you're touring far from home and ladden with luggage. Just go off for a look-see. If things get too tight, just throw it in reverse and pull off a snug u-turn and head back.

Never in danger of dropping it. And it provides all the sensations of riding.

Here's another perspective: BRP Can-Am Spyder First Look

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides
For someone like my wife, who has essentially given up riding because of health concerns, this may allow her to get back out in the wind - on the front seat.

Freaking amazing.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #146
Komet
The Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 38,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
For someone like my wife, who has essentially given up riding because of health concerns, this may allow her to get back out in the wind - on the front seat.

Freaking amazing.
Never thought about that aspect. That would be great.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #147
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs
I can tell you that I would buy / ride a Piaggio MP3 before riding on a Harley!...
I'd ride a MP3 before riding a BMW
Old 03-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #148
mrfix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
The spyder is the coolest thing I've ever ridden, when I first saw it, I thought something like that would never be for me. I threw a leg over it and it really felt like a motorcycle, the only thing is it didn't fall over when I put both feet on the pegs with the engine off. Think about it, the kick stand will never sink in the black top and the bike will never be blown over by wind. You just stop and get off, the angle of the place you park will never matter again. When I started the engine the sound got me, it idles like a v-twin with soul and takes throttle like a sport bike. The engine makes good power from 3000 rpm and comes on strong at 5000 and pulls hard right to the 9500 rpm red line, if the front tires are going under 35 mph and the handlebars are straight, you can smoke the tires in the first four gears, once the front tires are going over 35mph or the rear wheel kicks out to the side causing the handlebars to go of center the traction control takes over and detunes the engine then the real wheel hooks up and fires you forward like you're shot from a cannon. The transmission is super smooth and shifts with just a slight flick of the foot, reverse gear is easy to access by shifting to first, holding in the clutch and reaching over to the left grip with your right hand and pushing the red reverse button and pushing down one more position on the shift lever. Once the bike is in reverse you let out the clutch and back up, to go forward you pull in the clutch and pull up one on the shift lever to get into first gear, it's easy and does the job, no more pushing back out of the garage. As far as handling goes, it's like nothing you've ever ridden, when going straight it's just like a motorcycle, when you go into a turn the spyder doesn't lean, you use body english somewhat like on a snomobile but not as much, once you get used to it, it handles like it's on rails and will shoot the twisties with the best of them, I don't think you could tip the thing over if you tried, the VSS system (vehicle stability system) can't be fooled or defeated and it stops you from being real stupid. It eats large pot holes with no feed back through the steering or the seat, it just floats over most things without even a bump through the seat. From the back the spyder looks like a pretty radical street bike with its large pipe and wide tire, from the side it looks like, well a spyder because there is nothing else like it. The trunk in the front is the same size as my 45 liter givi case on the rear of my bike now and I plan on putting a Givi on the back of the spyder, that alone will give me more luggage capacity than any sport touring bike. the seating position feels like an FJR 1300 yamaha, there is a large, wide passenger seat and a back rest is available from Can-Am but I'll use the givi. I rode the spyder a total of 90 miles, i rode in the city, on the highway and out on country roads, I could not find fault with anything it did, the spyder is a ginn generator, one of the best I've found, it is a scream to ride. The spyder is a very unique machine, can-am calls it a roadster but it's all motorcycle as far as I'm concerned. I left San Diege with a buning desire to own one, like I stated in an earlier post, I came home and put a deposit on a firt run unit due to be delivered in October of 07, I can't wait till it arrives, BRP did a great job with the engineering of the spyder, it goes, it handles, and it's a very comfortable ride. They chose a great power plant to power it and the ergos are just about sport tour perfect. Of course it won't be for everyone, that's why there are so many different bikes out there to choose from. Again, the spyder is the coolest thing I've ever ridden and I ridden many, many fun powersport machines.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #149
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Cool! I can't wait to see one and maybe ride one.

My knees will be shot in a few more years (bike accidents), and one of these looks like it might be the hot tip.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #150
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamos2000
I'd ride a MP3 before riding a BMW
From Tennessee...you'd probably be shot if not on a Harley with NASCAR stickers all over it!
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote