Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2007, 09:59 PM   #166
Cornbread Red
Fart's dust

Oddometer: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Large
The Spyder is the bike/trike for those bikers who have been injured/impaired and can't ride 2 wheelers anymore.

There should be more of them being designed and built.

Our injured mates have the right to still be on the road without becoming detainees in 4 wheeled cages.
I agree, needs a rack for the wheelchair.

I don't think this thing will be in production long, though.

Chip
Old 04-30-2007, 04:04 AM   #167
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Demo Ride

Just got confirmation from BRP for a demo ride, Aug10 in Anoka, MN. Bummer about having to wait all summer for the test ride.
'85 K100RT
pmelby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #168
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread Red
I agree, needs a rack for the wheelchair.

I don't think this thing will be in production long, though.

Chip
That was also said when they started "really" producing the private jet...you know that slow seller they call a Lear?

If the interest around it from when I saw it is any indication, it will sell out again and again.

shrineclown screwed with this post 04-30-2007 at 10:35 PM
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:23 PM   #169
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,979
[quote=twinrider. I'll take this instead thanks.
[/quote]
Attached Images

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #170
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,367
I demo'd one this weekend. A very cool machine at a very reasonable price. A hell of a lot cheaper than most trike type machines. ABS/ESA powerful motor. Excellent fit/finish. The ride was counterintuitive but I got used to it quickly. I could certainly see the appeal for the aged and the infirmed who want a motorcycle experience.

The best part for me was a buddy who got run over last summer, on his motorcycle, saw myself and his brother demo it this weekend. His thoughts were, 'this will get me back on a bike.'
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #171
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 949
I saw this before...I like it. Personally, I would rather $15K towards a bike, but for my wife...

She rides a motorcycle, and does very well. However, with the kids, her saddle time is limited to 2x monthy on DR 650, so the prospect of a longer trip taxes her confidence (I know she could handle it, but as a rider with <10K miles under her belt, she sometimes gets the 'what ifs'). Something like this to be able to load up and go, could be interesting...at least until we can get her much more saddle time and do it proper.
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #172
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,971
Test ride the Spyder.

Test rides are here. Click on "here" and you will be there. They e-mailed this code if it helps you...E19E35C6.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:51 PM   #173
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,859
Rode one....here's my review
http://www.motorcyclistcafe.com/foru...ead.php?t=3569
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:51 PM   #174
tpunzy
liquid cooled

Oddometer: 2,325
pic from work today

tpunzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:08 PM   #175
Indian-woodsman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
I live in Texas on the Gulf of Mexico just about year round sunny riding weather. This might work out for the diehard yearround riders above the snowbelt line.
I can see this three wheeler with a little more lift and some aggressive tires might make it in the snow. Maybe even a ski or snowmobile conversion kit.
I think it could even double as an atv if the suspension was higher and a nice skidplate.

As my brother and I say about the three wheelers we see around.
"not till we can't hold our two wheelers up anymore".
Indian-woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:23 PM   #176
tpunzy
liquid cooled

Oddometer: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian-woodsman
I live in Texas on the Gulf of Mexico just about year round sunny riding weather. This might work out for the diehard yearround riders above the snowbelt line.
I can see this three wheeler with a little more lift and some aggressive tires might make it in the snow. Maybe even a ski or snowmobile conversion kit.
I think it could even double as an atv if the suspension was higher and a nice skidplate.

As my brother and I say about the three wheelers we see around.
"not till we can't hold our two wheelers up anymore".
Thus far the people that have demo'd it have really liked it, the real test will be when cash is laid down for arrivals this next spring. The radiators and exhaust are pretty low for any kind of "rough" terrain IMO. The radiators are behind the front a-arms and the exhaust is underneath the machine.

Three wheelers are not for everyone, but I plan on keeping mine for as long as I can............................way to much fun

tpunzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #177
Lochlyn_Deckard
Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer: 989
Some www.ninja250.com members test rode the Can-Am Spyder:

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...ghlight=spyder
Lochlyn_Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:02 PM   #178
MrVvrroomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
I took the Spyder for a test ride a few hours ago. I had done a lot of reading on the internet about it, so I kinda knew what to expect. It is NOT a motorcycle in any way, shape, or form. It reminds me more of an ATV than anything.

It seems well put together, even if the ones they had for demo were just test mules. They use a familiar Rotax 990cc fuel injected twin. When I say familiar, I mean it's darn near identical to what they use in the Aprilia sportbikes. It's not enough power for the size & weight of the spider. I'm thinking something more on the line of the ZX-14 motor.

The machine is steered like a sport ATV or snowmobile. There's no motorcycle countersteering. The steering has an electric power assist to it, but you don't actually have to turn it very much to make a BIG turn.

The brakes are linked, ABS, and very powerful. My biggest bitch about the brakes is that they are actuated by a pedal on the right foot. Who uses the right foot for brakes.

My first change would be to put a brake lever where it's supposed to be: on the throttle side. I can't even count how many times I grabbed air trying to slow down. The fella that was leading the test ride was on a BMW sport-touring rig of some type. When we got back he told me that he'd never had anyone stick with him through the twisties like I did on the Spyder.

Along with the standard ABS and traction control, the machine is also equipped with a dynamic stability program. There's even rollover mitigation programmed into it. There should be a switch to defeat this. There is way too much potential for this thing. Think rear wheel drifting around corners! I tried, but the power was cut and was able to just steer through the turn. Yawn.

I did find out, purely by accident, that it has plenty of power to lay down a huge darkie! Yeah, and I even got a finger shake from the demo leader for it. Just when things start getting fun: as in the rear tire smokin' and starting to drift, off goes the power. Bastards! It will burn rubber for a mile as long as you are going straight.

It has a governed top speed of 110 mph. It feels like a snowmobile at speed. It has a very comprehensive gauge package including, speedo & tach as well as ambient temp, time of day, fuel, engine temp. and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff. Oh yeah, self-cancelling turn signals that actually work.

The rear tire is basically a car tire. It's a 225/50R15. It makes a lot of noise when it's trying to get traction on asphalt. LOL

The machine is definitely unique. Everyone, I mean EVERYONE stares when you ride past. Would I buy one? Probably not. Will I take another test ride. Hell yeah!

These were taken with my cellphone.
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #179
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,564
great pics, what cellphone did you take them with? I saw a few at Laconia, I really wanted to take one for a test spin.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:46 PM   #180
MrVvrroomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
great pics, what cellphone did you take them with? I saw a few at Laconia, I really wanted to take one for a test spin.
Motorola KRZR
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote