Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #286
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,618
Sat on one yesterday at Motoplex in Lynnwood, WA.. really really odd.. could be fun, but seems like a noveltie to me.. It was quite comfortable..If i had a 10 car garage and a few million in the bank, well.. maybe..
Old 03-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #287
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb
I rode one last year, liked it so much I built my own:

http://hawkfan4life.com/trike2/trike2.html

Spent yesterday ripping around the neighborhood, collecting open-mouthed stares from all the neighbors .. heh ..

Couple more small details to attend to, and then it'll be up for sale. Gonna miss it :(

Robb (Milwaukee WI)

Love it... thats pretty amazing man.. like to see you make a dual sport can am replica.. !!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #288
Robb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,033
Hey, I'm open to commissions :)

Mounted the guages today, so it's got a slightly more "finished" look. It's been great fun zipping around, but it's up on Ebay now.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:49 PM   #289
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb
Hey, I'm open to commissions :)

Mounted the guages today, so it's got a slightly more "finished" look. It's been great fun zipping around, but it's up on Ebay now.
Looked for it on ebay didnt see it..

curious as to what it goes for, before i start commisioning a dual sport, :)
Old 03-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #290
Robb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,033
Search "EX500 trike", it'll be the only auction that shows up.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #291
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
i can see myself on this when 2 wheels are no longer an option (age!).

anyone here ridden one of those bm quads by G&G? what's the comparo?
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #292
longrider999
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
winter bike

mista bob,i agree with you about the spyder being in my opinion a great winter bike.ive been thinking more and more about 3 wheels instead of 2 in wisconsin.not for daylight driving but for at nite.ive hit 2 deer at nite the last 2 years of riding.they seem to be everywhere in the wisconsin county i live in.
longrider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:54 AM   #293
Kural
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Signed up for another Demo Ride on thursday. -Can't wait!

"I'm starting to enjoy the simple things in life. And it's freaking me out!" -Crozb

Life shrinks or expands according to your courage

"Just send it to me in HTML, and I will render it as I see fit." -Codewheeny
Kural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #294
Kural
Gnarly Adventurer

Imho

Okay, I went on the Demo ride this afternoon. It was way too short!

Some things that were the same as I remembered:
-Just as cool looking Live as in the Pictures
-Just as FAST
-Brakes are amazing
-Super fun to ride/drive
-Handles great

A BIG improvement since last October:
EXHAUST system no longer fries your legs. HUGE improvement!!

I have to have one!!! (Now, if I can just retrain myself out of slowing to a snail pace for every sharp corner- think I scared the demo ride 'caboose' guy!)

Now, for those who have one, I have some questions.
How is the clearance for you?

Do you EVER go off road, and if so, what concerns/surprises/downfalls/issues have you encountered with that?

How often do you have to do maintenance, and do you do it yourself, or send it in to the dealer, and if dealer, what does that run you on average for what service?

How's the gas mileage?

What did you pay for yours?

How about insurance?

Thanks All!

"I'm starting to enjoy the simple things in life. And it's freaking me out!" -Crozb

Kural screwed with this post 04-03-2008 at 08:45 PM
Old 04-04-2008, 08:45 AM   #295
chappy
Porkchop Sandwiches

Oddometer: 1,821
I got to ride one a couple of weeks ago, overall I thought it was neat and if I was rich I would get one for interstate riding as I kinda felt that is what they would really excel at (other than gathering attention).

It was comfy, and had pretty good wind deflection and good ride quality (plus I figure the tires should last longer than bike tires). With a hard pannier setup I think it would be a great long range mount. It also had plenty of power for what it was and would sound great with an aftermarket pipe.

I didn't care for the hypersensitive steering, if you breathed to hard on the handlebars it was trying to change direction and on city streets it wanting to find ever grove and hole. As a result it kinda weaved down the road a lot, I think that is something you would get used to over time though and stop doing so bad. Secondly the electronics kick in waaaaaaaay too early. I tried to go around a tight bend fast and the stability contral, yaw whatnot or whatever is on it scared the crap out of me when it kicked in mid-corner (all I wanted to do was step the rear out ). Finally I kept trying to put my feet down at stops and tried reaching for a front brake lever constantly so I looked like an idiot.

As a sporting ride I was a bit dissapointed as I wanted to be able to hustle it a little more but it would still be a fun thing to own, might even make a good commuter determining on mpg.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #296
Kural
Gnarly Adventurer

We did it!

Bought one! Get it tomorrow!

The only thing that stinks is that I don't get to ride it home from the shop. I have to go from there to work, so hubby gets to ride it home.

But next weekend....

Old 04-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #297
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
New Ride Dept>

Kural, congrats on your new wheels! Please at your earliest conveience,please share. Your experiences will be the 1st onwers impression I'll have heard. Living with something is worlds away from a test ride.
I once rode from San Jose Ca. to Lexington Ky. on a FJ 1100 Yamaha powered sidecar to bring it to a friend who had bought it. On the way people asked if it was mine, I explained that it wasn't and that I was just delivering it to the new owner. Then they asked if that was my job. No i'd say but I wish it was. The trip took 2 weeks and was great but it ripped me apart to give it up at the end. Sort of a 4600 mile extended test ride.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #298
Kural
Gnarly Adventurer

initial report

Well, since I still haven't gotten to ride it yet, here is what my husband had to say about it. He put about 200 miles on it yesterday while I was at work (To be fair, we are needing to get the break-in miles on it before we leave for Fontana in 2 weeks, so we can have the service done at the correct mileage.)

1) He says it handles AWESOME!! Specifically, if you've ridden a hack previously, a word to the wise would be to pre-lean your upper body (not lifting your 'seat' off the seat, though) into corners, versus leaning AS you enter corners. He says the handling is very smooth with this method. (I am reminded of someone's earlier post that he thought it was somewhat sqirly in corners, and wonder if a) that person had experience with 3 wheels or not, and was taken by surprise, and b) if this method would've made a difference in his experience?)

2) Gas mileage was about 30-ish mpg. Kinda too early to truly know yet.

3) Did I mention that he LOVED it? He is saying that it may even be more fun than his F650GS. Now, I call that an endorsement! Who knows, we may end up with 'twins'

4) He says this bike really makes him want to fly! And, he is NOT a speed demon! It's just that much fun. So, beware this ride will 'bring it out in you!' (he also says that it gets to max speed much quicker than his GS does, and the max speed is higher than his GS, NOT that he exceeded the speed limit, or anything )

5) It will be a very comfortable ride for those going '2-up' We rarely do this, but may do so more often, since the f650 isn't exactly 'spacious' for 2-up adventures.

6) The only complaint so far is the lack of electrical plugs. Where are you supposed to plug in your GPS? How about the e-vest? The dealer showed us how this has been installed. Apparantly this has been run from the front trunk, around the handle bars, then you plug into your device of choice. Notice that was singular, not plural, since there's really only room for one thing to mount on the bars. I can live with the only one device thing, but frankly, this coming up through the trunk configuration is less than satisfactory to me. I am going to hold off until someone comes up with a better method. There is space next to the panel that looks like could accomodate this.

7) Headlights are adequate. Could be better, but at $1200 for upgrade lights, I say no thank you. We will see down the line as perhaps more options are offered.

That's all I can think of right now. As soon as I get 'my turn' I will update. Overall, the biggest impression I was left with, was the fact that my husband my abandon his GS for this. He thought it was that much fun. He has been contemplating selling the GS, then getting a more comfortable ride for street, and a dirt bike for dirt. He was really leaning towards the 1000 V-strom, but who knows now!

-Karla

Old 04-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #299
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kural
Well, since I still haven't gotten to ride it yet, here is what my husband had to say about it. He put about 200 miles on it yesterday while I was at work (To be fair, we are needing to get the break-in miles on it before we leave for Fontana in 2 weeks, so we can have the service done at the correct mileage.)

1) He says it handles AWESOME!! Specifically, if you've ridden a hack previously, a word to the wise would be to pre-lean your upper body (not lifting your 'seat' off the seat, though) into corners, versus leaning AS you enter corners. He says the handling is very smooth with this method. (I am reminded of someone's earlier post that he thought it was somewhat sqirly in corners, and wonder if a) that person had experience with 3 wheels or not, and was taken by surprise, and b) if this method would've made a difference in his experience?)

2) Gas mileage was about 30-ish mpg. Kinda too early to truly know yet.

3) Did I mention that he LOVED it? He is saying that it may even be more fun than his F650GS. Now, I call that an endorsement! Who knows, we may end up with 'twins'

4) He says this bike really makes him want to fly! And, he is NOT a speed demon! It's just that much fun. So, beware this ride will 'bring it out in you!' (he also says that it gets to max speed much quicker than his GS does, and the max speed is higher than his GS, NOT that he exceeded the speed limit, or anything )

5) It will be a very comfortable ride for those going '2-up' We rarely do this, but may do so more often, since the f650 isn't exactly 'spacious' for 2-up adventures.

6) The only complaint so far is the lack of electrical plugs. Where are you supposed to plug in your GPS? How about the e-vest? The dealer showed us how this has been installed. Apparantly this has been run from the front trunk, around the handle bars, then you plug into your device of choice. Notice that was singular, not plural, since there's really only room for one thing to mount on the bars. I can live with the only one device thing, but frankly, this coming up through the trunk configuration is less than satisfactory to me. I am going to hold off until someone comes up with a better method. There is space next to the panel that looks like could accomodate this.

7) Headlights are adequate. Could be better, but at $1200 for upgrade lights, I say no thank you. We will see down the line as perhaps more options are offered.

That's all I can think of right now. As soon as I get 'my turn' I will update. Overall, the biggest impression I was left with, was the fact that my husband my abandon his GS for this. He thought it was that much fun. He has been contemplating selling the GS, then getting a more comfortable ride for street, and a dirt bike for dirt. He was really leaning towards the 1000 V-strom, but who knows now!

-Karla
how bout some pics?
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:57 PM   #300
Kural
Gnarly Adventurer

My Turn!

Oh. MY!!!!

This machine has, so far, greatly surpassed my expectations.

The cornering is fantastic. I cannot get over how fast I can take corners that, before with the hack, I had to slow waaaay down for. And not one hint of instability. Tonight I took a right corner at 66 mph, that is a) posted at 40 mph, and the week before I rode on the hack, at the posted speed. This is just to give you a tangible example.

It likes to go fast. Wants to go fast. Did I mention it is really fast? I went, well, let's just say I did a little speeding today. And I could've kept climbing, but my good sense took over.

Spent about 6 hours riding today/tonight, collectively. Very comfortable. Steering is easy, very responsive.

I may want to explore a different wind shield, but as yet there is not one that I am really excited about. I was spoiled on that feature with the Ural wind shield...

Stops on a dime. Really good brakes.

Still a bit too soon to give acurate gas mileage.

All I can say is that you should try it. I feel completely safe and stable. It is NOT the same as a hack, so if you are expecting that, you will not get the same experience. As with everything, it's all about why you want it, and what you want from it.

I get speed, stability, brakes, cool looks, better mileage (and will most likely get better)

Freakin' Love It!!!