Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #466
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 614
By the way, yes I did sent BRP a request of Dual Sport Spyder wanting it to be narrow than the current width size, ensure of high watt output system, including special jack lift tool that rider can lift bike and do some works on it, special suspension package that can handle both on and off-road, huge gas tank, etc. Haven't got any reply so I think they are probably taking note. I don't see why they can't if they have ATV and snowmobile in their line, and I think that Dual Sport Spyder would be ass-kicking bike especially if it is narrow.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #467
daveinva
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Four huge problems the prevent the current iteration of the Spyder from being a capable off-road vehicle:

1. VSS: As noted, the Nanny that makes the Spyder docile on the road reacts poorly to things like gravel, dirt, sand, etc. You *can* ride over that stuff-- I have all the time-- but you're not going to go fast very easily or safely, and maneuverability is dependent on how much the Nanny wants to slip your traction.

2. Belt drive: The belt eats rocks for breakfast and spits out sprocket. Would need a completely sealed belt, or chain/shaft drive for the Spyder to be an off-road machine.

3. Remember the first-gen of three-wheel ATVs? Yeah.... three tracks is never fun on the dirt. You hit *everything*.

4. Suspension/height/weight: The Spyder's a low-riding trike. Making it capable of traversing rough terrain likely jeopardizes its road-handling capabilities, i.e. make it too tall or with too much suspension travel and the Nanny has to be redesigned. A "dual sport" Nanny/suspension setting, something you could adjust on the fly, would be a neat trick, but would also add $$$.

Lastly, and perhaps terminally to our hopes: the Spyder is *big and heavy*. Asking for polite behavior down a dirt road is one thing; actually taking this thing offroad, you run the risk of flipping something that just isn't designed to flip-- *or* flip back.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #468
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
Four huge problems the prevent the current iteration of the Spyder from being a capable off-road vehicle:

1. VSS: As noted, the Nanny that makes the Spyder docile on the road reacts poorly to things like gravel, dirt, sand, etc. You *can* ride over that stuff-- I have all the time-- but you're not going to go fast very easily or safely, and maneuverability is dependent on how much the Nanny wants to slip your traction.

2. Belt drive: The belt eats rocks for breakfast and spits out sprocket. Would need a completely sealed belt, or chain/shaft drive for the Spyder to be an off-road machine.

3. Remember the first-gen of three-wheel ATVs? Yeah.... three tracks is never fun on the dirt. You hit *everything*.

4. Suspension/height/weight: The Spyder's a low-riding trike. Making it capable of traversing rough terrain likely jeopardizes its road-handling capabilities, i.e. make it too tall or with too much suspension travel and the Nanny has to be redesigned. A "dual sport" Nanny/suspension setting, something you could adjust on the fly, would be a neat trick, but would also add $$$.

Lastly, and perhaps terminally to our hopes: the Spyder is *big and heavy*. Asking for polite behavior down a dirt road is one thing; actually taking this thing offroad, you run the risk of flipping something that just isn't designed to flip-- *or* flip back.
Daveinva,

You do make some good comment, however this would be impossible to motorcycle manufacturer like Harley-Davidson but probably most difficult to manufacturer like BMW. This is not impossible for BRP because you are talking about the company who have developed just about so many off-road recreation vehicles as well as watercraft vehicles. ATV, Snowmobile, RTV(Side by Side vehicle), Jet Ski, Boat, and Spyder are developed by BRP. They clearly demonstrated their ability to develop something very unique (Spyder converted from Snowmobile) and capable of evolving Jet Ski into next level separating top and bottom body with special suspension system in between that it would be almost smooth when riding Jet Ski through waves- See GTX-S 155 Sea-Doo Jet Ski.

With that said, BRP can form a team to work on "Project DSS (Dual Sport Spyder)" and the team would have access to readily available data such as study on improving suspension system from all types of vehicles they have developed and they have just enough technology to develop something special. They are perfectly capable of evolving their machine into next level.

So just like the Field of Dream.. if they build it, people will buy it. But until they know enough people are interested, we need to hit their Marketing Dept to show there are plenty of interested in Dual Sport Spyder and we need to tell them what we expect to see in this special vehicle.. high output watt to provide juices for our needs, narrow width, higher clearance for off-roading, unique VSS system evolved and designed to identify the on-road/off-road/corner/switchback, ability of riders to do mechanic works himself without it being too complex, and as you said look into drive system so the rocks doesn't eat up sprocket and etc. We want to hit them with something to start in the rough draft prior to project being launched. And they should build it with one important thing in mind.. riders' capable of maintenance it especially in remote area in South America where there is probably not a single BRP dealer around and the law that prohibit rider from ordering new parts shipped directly to them down there.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #469
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

and lets not forget that BRP already makes a full lineup of very capable ATVs.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #470
Pincushion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I have 56,000 miles on my Spyder and I have loved every one of them.

San Diego to Holister California (2up)
San Diego to Cuba, Missouri (twice 2up)
San Diego to Durango, Colorado (in 14 hours)
San Diego to Eureka, California (in 12 hours 2up)

President
Spyder Ryder of America - San Diego Chapter
www.SRA-SanDiego.com
Pincushion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #471
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
and lets not forget that BRP already makes a full lineup of very capable ATVs.
Not street legal in the States although in rural Mexico and rural Texas I do see them operated all the time. Still, you can ride a Spyder to the local pub. And ATV not so much.

And just FYI I was asking on one of the forums about the feasibility of using a Spyder in a GS-style role, so great minds obviously do crawl in similar gutters, as they say.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #472
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincushion View Post
I have 56,000 miles on my Spyder and I have loved every one of them.

I was asking around and that's about the highest miles that I have seen put on one.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #473
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
As Bigziff says, BRP already makes full line-up of capable ATV's . . . but how many are road-registerable in many jurisdictions?

Daveinva rightly notes that two tracks are much preferable to three tracks, when off-road . . . so a more off-roady three wheeler would be better as a variant of sidecar outfit.

If they were wishing to, BRP could make a sort of cross between outfit and three wheeler ATV ~ i.e. unlike an outfit, it would not be "dis-assemblable" into two components.
Car-type / ATV-type suspension design would allow the front wheel (and the rear wheel behind that) to be placed at the outer edge of the vehicle, for good track width and overall narrowness. [Thus the rider is slightly more inboard, and the handlebar ends stay inside the vehicle's width.]
With full-time two wheel drive at the rear, from a torque-biased diff [lockable, preferably].
And electronic stability nanny, of course . . . which the lawyers would regard as a wise necessity.

Registration as a 3-wheel motorcycle does raise a hurdle against sales to car-licence-only purchasers . . . but does avoid a lot of car-type regulations & crash-design costs (in weight and dollars).

The disadvantage (re ATV's four wheels) is in lateral stability ~ and the need for slower cornering & greater care on side-slope angles . . . but that is no worse than any 3-wheeled vehicle.
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #474
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,295
Bump!

Wifey and I test rode a 2013 ST Limited Friday. I liked it but the test ride route was way too short to get a good feel for it.

We are going to another dealer soon to test ride the RT. We are only 31 years old but can see ourselves touring with one.

I will try to get the ST pic up tomorrow.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #475
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 721
RT or ST

I have been checking out the RT and ST limited also. Haven't taken the time to ride one yet. My wife in her mid 50's with dirt bike only experience says " I would ride that on the street" has me looking, kinda, sorta. She has many miles riding with me over the years on the back of my bikes. The one thing that I see that caught my eye is how little carrying capacity they have. ST 440 lbs and RT 494lbs. We like to camp while we ride which if we are on separate bikes no big deal. For some reason in my lil brain I thought it would have a substantial capacity for carrying my stuff much higher than a regular motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Bump!

Wifey and I test rode a 2013 ST Limited Friday. I liked it but the test ride route was way too short to get a good feel for it.

We are going to another dealer soon to test ride the RT. We are only 31 years old but can see ourselves touring with one.

I will try to get the ST pic up tomorrow.
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #476
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooweel View Post
. The one thing that I see that caught my eye is how little carrying capacity they have. ST 440 lbs and RT 494lbs. .

Which is probably why they offer a factory trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #477
Tanshanomi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Figured I'd jump in here. I picked up my new 2013 RS-S SM5 (manual) on Thursday afternoon. My wife test rode a Spyder about a year ago and soon after traded in her bike on a 2012 RT. After 12 months of riding my Suzuki with her and a bunch of other Spyder ryders, I came around to wanting my own. They're overpriced and have some crude details not appropriate on a $18K+ vehicle, but I am really enjoying it. Between Friday afternoon and Sunday evening, we covered 735 miles.

No, it's not a motorcycle, but it's a very fun, practical mode of transport, especially out on the Great Plains where the roads are mostly straight, flat and featureless. I have no intention of giving up 2 wheels completely, but for lots of mundane riding--from commuting to touring with my wife--I really enjoy the Spyder.

Tanshanomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #478
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
I know the RT and the RS are different beasts (my wife traded her RS on her RT) but do you notice any difference with the larger front wheels on your new RS?
kbuckey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #479
Tanshanomi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
I know the RT and the RS are different beasts (my wife traded her RS on her RT) but do you notice any difference with the larger front wheels on your new RS?
My 2013 RS-S is definitely the sharpest handling Spyder I've ridden, but since it comes with Fox front gas shocks and a thicker sway bar, I can't say how much of the difference is attributable to those changes as opposed to the shorter tire sidewalls. Earlier this spring I demo'd both the RS-S and the 2013 ST (which uses the standard sway bar with the 15" wheels) — I was not as impressed with the ST's handling, which is one reason I went with the RS-S.

To further complicate things, my wife had a BajaRon sway bar installed on her RT at Spyderfest in April. That really helps dampen the body roll in the corners, even with the 14-inchers. Unfortunately, neither of us has ridden the other's Spyder since then, and I don't know how equivalent the BajaRon and 2013 RS-S sway bars are, so again I can't tell you how much difference the lower profile tires make.
Tanshanomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #480
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
I have a (from
Australia, before one was made in the US) on my 2011 RT and it changed completely the riding: no more "vague" feeling, nannies come on much later. I kept my stock shocks with no probs. 16000 miles and it is about 10000 that all the problems have been fixed... Best touring contraption (I did not say bike!) I ever owned!! Still like riding my vintage bikes ... Even if I just broke a leg last Sunday: maybe I should stay on 3 wheels for good!!
Prmurat is online now   Reply With Quote