Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #61
Baba Iguana
Bored Track Racer

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball
Whenever I see something like this only one word comes to mind - why?
I agree - Why ?

A company with Bombardier's limited resources taking another crapshoot on the streetbike market. A market Can-Am was never able to crack in its heyday.

And to do it with a 3-wheeler aimed at the waning old-fart market who have the funds for litigation when it "doesn't handle like my Bonnie did".

First lawsuit will sink this POS and probably Can-Am for another 20 years.

Why oh why couldn't they have launched a Can-Am "Superbe Motard" instead.

Great company with excellent engines, but I think this will be a financial disaster. Yeah OK, you will see a smattering of them in Quebec towing tent-trailers.
Baba Iguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:18 AM   #62
ulendo
lunatic fringe

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Iguana
A company with Bombardier's limited resources
umm - you might want to take another look at that. Bombardier is doing quite well, thank you kindly, you just have to know what industries to look at. Their leisure products are top notch, and growing steadily - like any business, its a case of expand, or fold, and given that they already have snow machines, small watercraft, and quads, the opn-road market is the next logical step. With the conventional bike market full, and many baby boomers not interested in riding 2 wheels, or manhandlinga heavy 2 wheeled touring machine on backroads / gravel roads, a fun, sport-tourer styled 3 wheeler actually makes quite a bit of sense. the fact that the Bombardier is very competatively priced, has already passed DOT certification, and being made in Canada meets N.American free trade requirements are all just icing on the cake.

whether it suits your aesthetics, and whether it makes the grade or not, only time will tell...cudos to bombardier for at least thinking outside the box. Personally, I figure your chances of seeing the european 3 wheelers as competitors on the N.American market in the next 10 years are very, very slim though.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #63
ikeman
Serial Lurker

Oddometer: 116
At that price point, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'd probably sell my little Scion and replace it with one of these. I've been seriously considering either a trike or a side hack so I can keep riding when the snow flies.
ikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:54 AM   #64
Kritter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Exactly, as long as it has enough juice to power my electrics...throw a set of Nokians on it for the winter...I'd ride it year round
Old 02-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #65
ulendo
lunatic fringe

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter
Exactly, as long as it has enough juice to power my electrics...throw a set of Nokians on it for the winter...I'd ride it year round
Since they do apear to be 'car' type tires, that brings up the interesting option of having street legal studs on it, too. Good bet that bombardier will be bringing their snow mobile experience to this endeavour, and it'll have lots of juice available to power farkles.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:28 PM   #66
ADKbeemer
Understanding Serendipity

Oddometer: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulendo
umm - you might want to take another look at that. Bombardier is doing quite well, thank you kindly, you just have to know what industries to look at.
+1, Bombardier is much more than just snowmobiles....

http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?...0/3_1/3_1.html

They do jets, trains....

As to this new machine, I think its great! I wouldnt ride one, but who knows what the future will hold.
ADKbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #67
Baba Iguana
Bored Track Racer

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKbeemer
+1, Bombardier is much more than just snowmobiles....

http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?...0/3_1/3_1.html

They do jets, trains....

As to this new machine, I think its great! I wouldnt ride one, but who knows what the future will hold.
I worked for Bombardier for 9 years and am aware of their diversification. The money does not flow between internal divisions smoothly, each product line must be self-supporting. The most recent clean break between BRP and Transportation makes this worse.

I guess I should have been more specific and referred to BRP having limited resources. I'll clarify by saying, yes they are doing a very good job in the North American market, but they cannot afford the massive losses of tooling up for a failed product line (again). BRP uses some of the most modern manufacturing techniques on the planet, and they don't come cheap.

Compared with other world players Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha etc. the motorcycle division of BRP has a very limited R&D budgets for new product ventures.
Baba Iguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:06 PM   #68
ADKbeemer
Understanding Serendipity

Oddometer: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Iguana
I worked for Bombardier for 9 years and am aware of their diversification. The money does not flow between internal divisions smoothly, each product line must be self-supporting. The most recent clean break between BRP and Transportation makes this worse.
Having worked for them you obviously have more insight and understanding of their inner workings than most here. I would dare say that bigger heads then you or I sat down at the table and after much research and development, pulled the trigger on this product.

Now comes the interesting part, how will the marketplace respond?

This board may not be a good representation of the general market for this product, as we are biased to two wheels (hackers, don't flame me...I love them...).

IMHO the price point is right and there may be some "hidden" and cross over markets out there for which this might be right on target. I wonder how many current snowmobilers don't ride motorcycles? How about jet skiers?

I give them kudos for taking the risk!
ADKbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #69
tpunzy
liquid cooled

Oddometer: 2,325
I asked the boss about them today. He said we should have some in around fall. Hopefully it's not close to the end of "riding season".
tpunzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #70
RedRocket OP
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,308
We of the 2 wheeled persuasion seem to see this as a walk to death's door for Bombardier, but I think it's more a matter of us not being the target market.

Harley Davidson recently bought a trike manufacturer, and if you check out CycleTrader you'll see a ton of them on there. Other people are making outriggers that drop down when stopping.

Obviously there is a need for "bikes" that don't fall over.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #71
curbjumper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacktard
Now call me a grumpy sod...
You are a grumpy sod.

I need something like this for the winter.
Those of you that think it's a snowmobile, good on 'ya... I'm getting tired of doing this...

curbjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #72
Komet
The Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 38,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket
We of the 2 wheeled persuasion seem to see this as a walk to death's door for Bombardier, but I think it's more a matter of us not being the target market.

Harley Davidson recently bought a trike manufacturer, and if you check out CycleTrader you'll see a ton of them on there. Other people are making outriggers that drop down when stopping.

Obviously there is a need for "bikes" that don't fall over.
Good points...Harley used to make three wheelers...traffic cops (we used to have three wheelers here)...and ice cream sales come to mind.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:29 AM   #73
Kritter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
The full web site is up now....106HP and 77ft/lbs of torque. Didn't see a full spec sheet so don't know the weight.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:33 AM   #74
strommin
bending light

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
The full web site is up now....106HP and 77ft/lbs of torque. Didn't see a full spec sheet so don't know the weight.
There's a PDF spec sheet hidden somewhere on the site. Don't remember where.

Listed dry weight is 697lbs.
strommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:35 AM   #75
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,534
Quote:
800 lbs
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote