Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 05:47 AM   #121
vtwin OP
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,175
Weird thing happened yesterday. Left hand sweeper, freeway speed a bit undulating surface with rain grooves and the bike started to wallow pretty badly. Enough that I had to move to the outer lane. Got better when I slowed down. First time I felt it that badly. Some have suggested to raise the forks 1/2" to increase weight on the front end, what say all of you?

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #122
SprintSix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
2cm is about as far as you can raise without bottoming issues. It does make a noticable difference. I had low bars on when I played with mine, more weight on them directly.

Check your rear axle is evenly adjusted on both sides. It will do weird things if not.

See if the wallow shows up when turning both directions.
SprintSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #123
vtwin OP
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintSix View Post
2cm is about as far as you can raise without bottoming issues. It does make a noticable difference. I had low bars on when I played with mine, more weight on them directly.

Check your rear axle is evenly adjusted on both sides. It will do weird things if not.

See if the wallow shows up when turning both directions.
Thanks SS, I'll play around with the height of the forks and tire pressure. I'll also check the rear alignment.

unknown
Old 07-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #124
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 445
Thanks, Vtwin.

Looks like I have more tuning to do.

Good luck with the wallowing issue.
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #125
Drover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Just picked up one of these bikes as my first bike, correction....I should say i just picked up 2 of these as a starter bike, first one had engine trouble which ended up being a blown connecting rod. Scraped that idea and found another bike that has been parked since 1989, Bike is in great shape, few minor flaws but once i changed the oil and checked the carbs surprisingly it fired right up and runs great!

Is there anything to be aware of with these bikes? Flaws? Problems? Things to check? Anything i should do with the bike seeing it has been sitting all this time?

What should i do with the other bike? Any ideas? Can get Jug, Pistons, Crank and rods on Ebay for like $300 bucks....Can you get gaskets for this bike?

Thanks!

Drover screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 05:22 PM
Drover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #126
vtwin OP
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Just picked up one of these bikes as my first bike, correction....I should say i just picked up 2 of these as a starter bike, first one had engine trouble which ended up being a blown connecting rod. Scraped that idea and found another bike that has been parked since 1989, Bike is in great shape, few minor flaws but once i changed the oil and checked the carbs surprisingly it fired right up and runs great!

Is there anything to be aware of with these bikes? Flaws? Problems? Things to check? Anything i should do with the bike seeing it has been sitting all this time?

What should i do with the other bike? Any ideas? Can get Jug, Pistons, Crank and rods on Ebay for like $300 bucks....Can you get gaskets for this bike?

Thanks!

Welcome Drover! I see the exhaust end plate has been drilled out. Wonder how loud it is? The silver/blue is the color I would have preferred, but I'm still happy with mine. Paint looks good on it. I'd make sure to lubed the gauges, they have a really bad habit of being noisy and detonating, damhik. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615907 and they are kind of pricey. The other one I'd cafe it. You can get a GS500 engine in it and use the 650 head and cams, pretty much hotrods the GS500. GSresources is a good place to visit and learn as well as the GR650 Forum although it's pretty quiet there, all are welcomed. Have fun!

Oh yea, be careful of the chain tensioner, read the service manual closely, alot of people mess it up and the engine goes south.

unknown
Old 08-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #127
vtwin OP
Air cooled runnin' mon

OK, it seems that I'm the only one with issues on tires that have a center rib. My Bridgestone Spitfire has this rib and bothers me as it follows the rain grooves and other road imperfections. So decided to mount the Dunlop Elite 3 I got awhile back. This is a very popular tire for Goldwingers and by the weight of it, no wonder! Seems to be a heavy duty tire. Loosen 4 bolts and the axle and viola, the wheel is off!

Get to use my CL find bead breaker. No more using the car and 2 x 4's.

See the center groove in the tire? That's the culprit giving me the jitters.

Old tire is off and putting on the new.

and it's on...

Looking good!

Forgot to mention that the old tire was one size larger due to my mistake when I ordered it. It's a 110/90x19, new tire is 100/90 x 19, so now my speedo will really be off! I will miss the white lettering as it's period look for the bikes age, but to me the handling is much more important. Took it out for a spin and seems pretty good. I like the tread pattern and will be looking into getting the matching rear.

unknown
Old 08-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #128
Drover
Adventurer

The old one!

Thing is though, is it hard to come by a 500 motor? Doesnt seem tooo hard to find parts for this one.

Which exhaust plate are you referring to? Bike it quite loud and i was wondering why it was lol Thinking i also got a leakin exhaust in the cross pipe.

Seat needs to be redone on the silver one. Bike had a bit of heat damage when i got it.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #129
vtwin OP
Air cooled runnin' mon

Look at the end of the exhaust, see the drilled holes? They aren't normally there.

Here's mine, not really a good picture though.

unknown

vtwin screwed with this post 08-19-2011 at 07:57 PM
Old 08-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #130
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Made that tire change look pretty easy there, VTwin. I'm about to launch into that for the first time too.

Guessing it to be a lot more difficult than, it's off, new one on, but I can always hope.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #131
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Quote:

The old one!

Thing is though, is it hard to come by a 500 motor? Doesnt seem tooo hard to find parts for this one.

Which exhaust plate are you referring to? Bike it quite loud and i was wondering why it was lol Thinking i also got a leakin exhaust in the cross pipe.

Seat needs to be redone on the silver one. Bike had a bit of heat damage when i got it.
Drover,
I echo VTwins recommendation to look into the info on thegsresources.com They've been very supportive and friendly to GR owners. Lots of similarities between the GS and the GR series. One of the GSResources guys sent me that way a while back and I've learned a lot from them.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #132
vtwin OP
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by radianrider View Post
Made that tire change look pretty easy there, VTwin. I'm about to launch into that for the first time too.

Guessing it to be a lot more difficult than, it's off, new one on, but I can always hope.

RR, it's really easy and I don't even take the caliper off, just make sure you get the pads right when fitting the disc in them on reassembly. Total time about 45 minutes. I laid out the new tire in the sun while I did the removal. by the time I was ready to install the new tire, it was warmed up and much softer.

unknown
Old 08-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #133
Drover
Adventurer

Vtwin its not drilled. Its a screwed on piece, behind it looks exactly like yours. You are actually missing both of them :) Both of my bikes have them. If you need a set let me know, pay for shipping and they are yours.

Drover screwed with this post 08-21-2011 at 04:59 PM
Old 08-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #134
vtwin OP
Air cooled runnin' mon

Quote:
Vtwin its not drilled. Its a screwed on piece, behind it looks exactly like yours. You are actually missing both of them :) Both of my bikes have them. If you need a set let me know, pay for shipping and they are yours.

Drover, thanks for the offer, but the exhaust is restrictive enough without them.

unknown
Old 08-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #135
Drover
Adventurer

Cant say i didn't offer