User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #226
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
When I'm hungover and shaking, I ain't shaving. But I hear ya- it's more exacting, but a hell of a good shave once you're done.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #227
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
No they don't.

Other than nostalga, there's no reason to use a straight blade. Everyone who tells you they get a better shave with one of these is trying to convince themselves as much as they're trying to convince you.

If you want to use one, good on ya. Enjoy it. Buck the trend, be different.

Just don't try to convince anyone that the shave is "better".

Once had a Barber shave with a straight edge... maybe it was his technique, but it took noticeably longer to grow out. Like 1 1/2 days vs the standard 1.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:23 AM   #228
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks
There is always space for you.
Dandy. I'll be in touch via PM soon with details - dates and ETA information.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #229
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,010
the Mrs. pushes me away if i don't shave for more than 12hrs (says its like a wire brush )

currently on one of those gillette fusion things and pretty pleased with the shave, but hate the wankers who are looting in the name of a shaving blade !!

"shave after you shower" - this has been quite useful for my copper wire like facial hair.

think its time to try out the single blade safety razor and that magic italian proraso cream........
Old 03-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #230
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf
So what model is this
Panasonic ES8103S

Linky

I bought mine at Target, in the store. I don't have the fancy cleaning dock. These things aren't hard to clean anyway.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #231
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks
the Mrs. pushes me away if i don't shave for more than 12hrs (says its like a wire brush )

currently on one of those gillette fusion things and pretty pleased with the shave, but hate the wankers who are looting in the name of a shaving blade !!

"shave after you shower" - this has been quite useful for my copper wire like facial hair.

think its time to try out the single blade safety razor and that magic italian proraso cream........
Showering seems to soften the furs. Makes shaving with a blade more pleasant. My guess is this is why the barbershop gives you the hot towel treatment before they shave you.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #232
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 19,698
I've about tried them all. From straight, safety to three blade. The three blade wouldn't really get under my nose.. great other than that. I'd used the Gillette two blade refillables for years (Costco) and settled on the Gillette custom plus pivot disposable (Costco) in the 52 pack. Big whoop.
Thanks for the info on the Proraso. I'll have to check that out. From way back, I've use like Clinique shaving creams etc. and you name it. Go ahead and try you some Noxema makeup remover/skin cleanser type stuff and or a knockoff. Like someone said, you'll notice you won't have to shave near as often and it'll be like a babies butt. Teehee!
Old 03-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #233
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,914
I tried the Fusion again today.
Hey, I'm not kidding ... I don't get it.
The goddam thing wants to slice me to ribbons. It's the angle of the dangle or something. Freakin' thing is like a rabid weasel at my face.
Fuck it. I'm going back to my cheap twin blades and electric shavers and throwing that thing in the dumper before it kills somebody.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #234
VonHelm
soggy doggy

Oddometer: 3,979
Rzzzzz!
Spread your arms and hold you breath
And always trust your cape (Guy Clark)
VonHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #235
Ride_There
Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer: 3,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
The goddamn thing wants to slice me to ribbons. It's the angle of the dangle or something. Freakin' thing is like a rabid weasel at my face.
Fuck it. I'm going back to my cheap twin blades and electric shavers and throwing that thing in the dumper before it kills somebody.
Any new shaving implement takes a couple weeks to for your skin to adjust. One shave and claiming something does not work is B as in B, S as in S...

If I go back to my old razors my face is unhappy now.
Ride_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #236
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,945
Quote:
The goddam thing wants to slice me to ribbons. It's the angle of the dangle or something. Freakin' thing is like a rabid weasel at my face.
that's what you get for buying the "rabid-weasel-face-shredder" model.

you should have bought the "sedate declawed fluffy-kitty-licks-the-milk-soaked-whiskers-off-yer-face" model.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #237
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Maybe it's just a bad cartridge. Did it come with extras?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #238
RedShift42
Some guy

Oddometer: 313
Brace yourself for the rollout of more diabolically marketed Gillette personal care products you cannot possibly live without!

-JD

RedShift42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #239
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
Well- quite simply, you're wrong. The blades available for a single blade safety razor are far better quality than what you're getting in that Gillette shit. They're paper thin and have an amazing edge. Look at those 4 or 5 or 12 blades on a Gillette and you can visually see how thick they are. I use the Feather brand of blades. They're incredibly thin and sharp. It's not a slam dunk like a Fusion- but it does give a better shave once you learn how to use the things. I switched and I'm not going back. Screw those price gouging bastiges. The closeness of the shave is superior- at the cost of a few nicks and cuts until you learn how to use the thing. The key is to keep everything wet with freshly brushed cream or soap- that Proraso that was posted on the first page is AMAZING stuff, btw. Buy some!- and to use just the weight of the razor for pressure. Push hard like you're used to with a modern Gillette and you're gonna walk away bloodied. Get the touch down after a while, and you'll know what a truly close shave is.

Like a lot of things- invest a little in some decent tools, learn how to use them, and shaving becomes a joy, rather than just another chore. And you don't have to choke on the grocery bill every time you need to buy blades.
Perfect. Use a double blade safety, figure out what blades your face likes the best (I rotate derbys and feathers), use a good soap/cream (Proraso, but I use the C.O.Big from Bath and body works, its the exact same stuff but cheaper ), and get a good badger (or boar, but I don't like it as much) brush, and you & your sig-other will like it. I can shave closer and with no more neck bumps than I ever could with the Machfusion razors. And after the initial investment, its cheaper, and the curve only goes in your favor from there out.
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #240
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
I shave once a week max. I used to shave every other day until razor prices went through the roof. It's ridiculous what is charged for blades anymore. I started buying the disposable's and hate them. I'm looking for another alternative. I tried straight blades, but it was risky business when your blind.

Bubba, where do you get the razors you are talking about? I'd like to try them out.

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: