ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #16
wintonio
last of the Dum Dum Daze
 
wintonio's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 1,654
Thumb good web group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StraightRazors/

this group is kinda funny, a lot of internal politics and an arch nemesis of sorts who used to be the site manager, but who now has another site. I have several razors, but I prefer a big, heavy blade, the kind referred to as a "chopper". It is great if I haven't shaved for a while, it just shaves all that hair off in one pass that would take a long time with any other razor.
The biggest secret of the process is to really warm up your face and let your facial hair soften up. Using a brush, and good shaving soap also make a big difference, and YES, keep that razor super fucking sharp... and invest in styptic pencils. The first time I shaved with a straight razor was just about the most frightening thing I have ever done. And don't worry, you will know when you are cutting yourself, it kind of feels like lightning running across your face where it is slicing.
It is a great hobby, especially if you like routines and acoutrements, and if you have a great big pair of ganads (or want people to think you do). Enjoy, and PM me if you have any questions

Winston
wintonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #17
wintonio
last of the Dum Dum Daze
 
wintonio's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 1,654
oh yah, I think it is pretty much not legal in most states for barbers to shave you with one. If they do, it is a disposable straight razor blade, which, frankly, would scare the hell out of me.
wintonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #18
Xeraux
Archvillain
 
Xeraux's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Oddometer: 30,893
It might be fun every now and then, but I doubt you'd want to go through all this every morning. Closest shave I've found? Mach 3 Power. Believe it or that little thing works.
__________________
Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:08 PM   #19
eradock
Gnarly Adventurer
 
eradock's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Alameda, CA, USA
Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkmagnet
Do Barbers still do facial shaving? I remember as a kid watching them run the razor back and forth on the leather to sharpen it for the man next to me. I always wanted to go to a barber for a hair cut and shave but all I can find is barbers that cut hair. Is this a lost art ? I don't dare try it myself with a straight razor.
Exchange Barber Shop - Financial District of San Francisco. Ask for Victor Espinosa.
eradock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #20
crevans
Plays in Traffic
 
crevans's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: The ATL
Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkmagnet
Do Barbers still do facial shaving? I remember as a kid watching them run the razor back and forth on the leather to sharpen it for the man next to me. I always wanted to go to a barber for a hair cut and shave but all I can find is barbers that cut hair. Is this a lost art ? I don't dare try it myself with a straight razor.
The barber shop I went to as a kid back in KS sure did. They sold 'em too, and that's what I learned to shave on in the first place. When I moved to the south, I lost my straight blade and couldn't find one around here, so I went with a Mach 3 for a while, and it just doesn't work. You need two or three passes with those things and they scratch your face up compared to a good steady hand and a straight razor. I'm sure they're fine, if that's what you're used to, but it's apples and oranges.

I finally found one again, and I ain't givin' it up.
__________________
"...any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with." - Douglas Adams
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:13 PM   #21
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra
 
Uncle Pollo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Albuquerque, Neue Messico
Oddometer: 47,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintonio
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StraightRazors/

this group is kinda funny, a lot of internal politics and an arch nemesis of sorts who used to be the site manager, but who now has another site. I have several razors, but I prefer a big, heavy blade, the kind referred to as a "chopper". It is great if I haven't shaved for a while, it just shaves all that hair off in one pass that would take a long time with any other razor.
The biggest secret of the process is to really warm up your face and let your facial hair soften up. Using a brush, and good shaving soap also make a big difference, and YES, keep that razor super fucking sharp... and invest in styptic pencils. The first time I shaved with a straight razor was just about the most frightening thing I have ever done. And don't worry, you will know when you are cutting yourself, it kind of feels like lightning running across your face where it is slicing.
It is a great hobby, especially if you like routines and acoutrements, and if you have a great big pair of ganads (or want people to think you do). Enjoy, and PM me if you have any questions

Winston


I need to get another razor ... and another honing stone ... and so on and so forth.

ps: from houston
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:20 PM   #22
Keith
Slabbing it
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: 901
Oddometer: 860
Now where would one buy a good quality straight razor?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:25 PM   #23
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra
 
Uncle Pollo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Albuquerque, Neue Messico
Oddometer: 47,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS7
Now where would one buy a good quality straight razor?
Barber's supply store.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:48 PM   #24
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Burnaby, BC
Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintonio
oh yah, I think it is pretty much not legal in most states for barbers to shave you with one. If they do, it is a disposable straight razor blade, which, frankly, would scare the hell out of me.
There's a good barber in Vancouver BC who still does this, Farzhad's Barber Shop. Good guy, he usually has a Ducati on loan from a local dealer in his shop window.

Well worth the money for a treat, he does the hot towels, lotion, the whole bit.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:04 AM   #25
kamanya
Andrew to most
 
kamanya's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Southern Tip of Africa
Oddometer: 1,271
Best shave I ever had was in Turkey.

I was travelling as a backpacker and in some small village was persuaded to have my whiskers hacked off.

He didn't speak English and my Turkish only stretched as far as beer so it was hand motions the whole way.

I was a bit nervous to begin with as, well, you know, nobody knew where I was and maybe he was the local butcher.

It started with very hot wet towels wound around my face. Then after repeating this, he got out a brush and lathered up my face useing his hands too, almost like a massage.

Then out came the scary bit and I could not believe how fast he was. I was sure he was just showing off, but to who, as it certainly wasn't having the desired effect on me. But after one side I calmed down a bit and got into it. It was fascinating at how quick and smooth it came off.

Once he had finished up and I thought that was it, out came the towels again and the whole process was repeated!

When he had finished that, I thought that he must have given me the super dooper version to try milk me of my precious beer money. But no, he had more.

He waved a very large overgrown ear bud looking thing in front of my face obviously asking me for my consent. Well, he'd been around my neck with a very sharp blade, really, what could be more dangerous than that?

Ok I nodded and he poured something on to it and then set it alight?!!!

Jeez, If you had asked a panel of trivial pursuit experts of all the possible options that an overgrown ear bud could be put to in a Turkish barber, I doubt setting it on fire would have come up.

Well, I had consented so he got to it.

It turns out that the fine hair on your cheeks and ears can easily be removed by a kind of facial slash and burn procedure. He flicks the bud onto the offending patch and then the excess alcohol lands on the hairs and for a brief instant is allowed to burn before he puts this facial bush fire out with his hand.

All I felt was a very slight heat, the towels had been warmer. Seconds later the bud was extinguished and I was devoid of any hair, or so I thought.

Out came the fine nose scissors and any offending bits were very gently trimmed.

Out came the lotion/aftershave and I was gently slapped about a bit and it was very refreshing.

Then my hair line at the back of my neck was cleaned up.

Not yet done, he then gave me a short head, neck and hand massage!

Well! On standing up I was prepared to hand over more than a nights worth of beer for that performance but all he charged me was the equivalent of about 80 pence or $1.40

Just to check I went back to another barber in another town a week later (the shave was so close it took 3 days to look unshaven) and a youngster who could not have been more than about 13 or 14 and certainly didn't shave yet repeated the performance and I dare say even better!

Some years later, I visited a barber in my home town and was bitterly dissapointed with the experience, it didn't have a patch on the Turks.

I have yet to have a better shave than those times in Turkey.
__________________
I often wonder where that road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. Appologies to Mr Frost
kamanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:09 AM   #26
Flash412
Elk Biffer
 
Flash412's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Effin' 'ell
Oddometer: 8,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkmagnet
Do Barbers still do facial shaving? I remember as a kid watching them run the razor back and forth on the leather to sharpen it for the man next to me. I always wanted to go to a barber for a hair cut and shave but all I can find is barbers that cut hair. Is this a lost art ? I don't dare try it myself with a straight razor.
The barber shop across from the Monteleon Hotel (or something like that) in the French Quarter in N'awlins will certainly provide you with a FINE shave using a straight razor.
__________________
Click here for Gathering Speed - Tales of Motorcycles and Life
60 countries/6 continents, 40/6 on motorcycles, so far, and counting...
50 US states, 49 via moto. ɹǝpun uʍop uǝǝq ı
Links to Forty years of my Adventure RIDE REPORTS
Helmet laws interfere with natural selection.
Flash412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:26 AM   #27
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer
 
blackbirdzach's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: 15 mintues West of Atlanta
Oddometer: 3,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerinmaine
I use a Gilette Sensor Excel (two blades, no waiting) and shave in the shower every morning, using a shower mirror:





I change my blade about once every four to six weeks.
I need to get one of those. I hate shaving in front of the sink where all the run off hits the floor, but I carve myself up good when I shave in teh shower because I can't see what I'm doing.
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:34 AM   #28
RumRunner OP
Sit there, turn that
 
RumRunner's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Great White North
Oddometer: 4,348
Lot's of good advice here. I'm gonna give it a try. I already use a brush and good quality soap so this blade is the next logical step.

I will just need to keep it away from the wife, if she see's me with a nice smooth face, she's gonna try and shave her beaver pelt and cut her moose knuckle off And that means no beaver for the RumRunner till things heal up.

DW
__________________
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where.
RumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:37 AM   #29
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer
 
blackbirdzach's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: 15 mintues West of Atlanta
Oddometer: 3,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner
Lot's of good advice here. I'm gonna give it a try. I already use a brush and good quality soap so this blade is the next logical step.

I will just need to keep it away from the wife, if she see's me with a nice smooth face, she's gonna try and shave her beaver pelt and cut her moose knuckle off And that means no beaver for the RumRunner till things heal up.

DW


I've got a great pair of tube socks I can mail `ya...ya know, just in case. They're best of you throw them in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:42 AM   #30
HD
Neighborhood Threat
 
HD's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: California Central Valley - Giant Sequoias
Oddometer: 14,466
Don't do it. You'll be sorry.

Sounds great, macho and individualistic.

You'll hurt yourself over and over.
HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014