1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Just put a bid in on a NOS.
Any luck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
I've now been doing the flats of my cheeks and my neck...

But I'm leery to do the chin and upper lip. For some reason i'm feeling "dragging" going into these areas. And its having me stop.

I've been recommended to lather, hot towel, and lather again, may not have time every morning.
Try going in a 90* or 180* direction in those areas first and then go back.

There are spots on my neck where I have to go with the grain first, then 90* to it, then against.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #902
TAS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:

But I'm leery to do the chin and upper lip. For some reason i'm feeling "dragging" going into these areas. And its having me stop.

I've been recommended to lather, hot towel, and lather again, may not have time every morning.
This is going to sound funny but use short strokes, just a bit at a time unitl you get the feel. The first time I shaved under my nose I bled for an hour . I used too much pressure and tried to take off too much in a single swipe.
TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #903
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,935
I've never been able to shave against the grain with any razor in my life. Gives me ingrowns every time.

So this is with the grain.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #904
TAS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
I've never been able to shave against the grain with any razor in my life. Gives me ingrowns every time.

Against the grain is a no-no for most. Like you stated, bad ingrown hairs and serious irritation. Some can shave in this fashion, I'm too much of a wuss. My oldest brother can dry shave, something carried over from military service he says. I'd bleed to death...
TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #905
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,238
Quote:

You'll get used to it. I think everyone is uber careful the first few shaves. Eventually you'll be flying across your face just like with a many bladed razor.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #906
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Any luck?
Outbid. It's over US$96.00. It'll go for between US$150.00 and US$200.00.

I saw another that had bids at over US$200.00.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #907
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:

Try using what is sometimes called "buffing" where you're quickly moving the razor head back and forth (any orientation) in very short strokes. You may find that you can go against the grain using this technique. There are some videos on youtube, but you can get the idea. Works great...I've done it for years without knowing it had a name.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 01-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #908
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,900
Quote:
Change the angle that you're holding the razor against your face. The angle of the blade is likely too steep in relation to the plane of your skin in that area.

With experience, I've discovered that different areas of my face require different angles of attack in order to get a really smooth shave. This has more to do with a smooth shave than magical badger nutsack hair brushes or ultra-luxurious Italian Virgin Breast Milk shaving cremes.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #909
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Outbid. It's over US$96.00. It'll go for between US$150.00 and US$200.00.

I saw another that had bids at over US$200.00.
I should have held those last 3 I had till now. What the heck is driving up the prices? I had a gold, NOS Aristocrat or Diplomat (which ever was worth more) and I think it only did $110! That was last year about this time.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 01-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #910
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,275
Quote:
Change the angle that you're holding the razor against your face. The angle of the blade is likely too steep in relation to the plane of your skin in that area.

With experience, I've discovered that different areas of my face require different angles of attack in order to get a really smooth shave. This has more to do with a smooth shave than magical badger nutsack hair brushes or ultra-luxurious Italian Virgin Breast Milk shaving cremes.
Could be this, a lot of folks talk about hearing the hair crinkle against the blade, but you shouldn't feel any drag.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:05 AM   #911
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Also try shaving those areas last after the lather has sat there, it does seem to soften the whiskers. That's the only way I can attack those areas.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #912
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,192
Quote:

I still don't think you need a magical Badger nutsack hair brush or any kind of fanciful Italian creme concoction made only from the breast milk of virgin farm girls which is weird when you think about it anyway because I'm not sure why they'd be lactating in the first place to get a fantastic shave. In the shower, I just rub the same bar of soap that I use to wash with directly on my face and then work that into a thick lather. Absolutely baby's ass smooth and no more equipment needed than a razor and blade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
I joined Badger & Blade a few day ago and told them I basically do the same thing.

That went over well.

That's funny shit, but you guys are lucky. I could do that once, maybe twice before my face looked like a pepperoni pizza.

After Aveda discontinued my long time favorite cream, I tried some stuff from Art of Shaving. Irritated my face. I found some Prorasso stuff at an Italian supermarket in Montreal and I friggin' love it. Won't go anywhere else.

As far as blades go, I still love the Wilkinson Sword ones. I've tried a bunch and it seems to me the better/sharper/smoother they are too start, the sooner they go bad. While the WS isn't as nice on the first couple of shaves as a Feather or Derby, I find I can get 8-10 GOOD shaves out of a blade, where it's 5-6 with the others.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #913
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:

I was always the same until I (re)started using a safety razor and good shaving cream. I also stopped the "cold water splash" and alcohol-based after shaves. A barber friend of mine told me years ago that after opening your pores with hot water/shave cream, the "pucker factor" of splashing cold water on your face greatly increases the likelihood of ingrown hairs.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
Old 01-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #914
jazzmans
fickt euch

Oddometer: 6,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
I was always the same until I (re)started using a safety razor and good shaving cream. I also stopped the "cold water splash" and alcohol-based after shaves. A barber friend of mine told me years ago that after opening your pores with hot water/shave cream, the "pucker factor" of splashing cold water on your face greatly increases the likelihood of ingrown hairs.

Try Trader Joes shaving gel, it's slicker n snake snot & really makes a difference on my face.

I wonder why I have wasted all those years using crappy disposable or crappy expensive disposable razors now.

Don't yet have all the technique (fukc klay, er, spelling) and cut myself when I go against the grain, but damnnation what a much better shave.
jaz

life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Klay-->You know what I mean, you bubble-headed noise-maker.
jazzmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #915
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmans View Post
Try Trader Joes shaving gel, it's slicker n snake snot & really makes a difference on my face.

jaz
Will do.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: