Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #946
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt2turn View Post
Seems like a lot of blades.
They really come in handy for scraping/cutting off the gunk left behind from price stickers, etc.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:35 AM   #947
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt2turn View Post
It's time to buy new blades, so I will probably buy the 100 pk. of the Russian Astras. Seems like a lot of blades.
I bought a 100 Wilkinson Sword* blades from someone on ebay or amazon for $20. They way I figure it, I'll never have to buy blades again.

Coming from the $12.95/Five Pack of multi-blades that got most of us going on DE's, it's a real relief.

*I'm a little disappointed in these. They came in a black package, and they don't seem to be of the same quality as the white pack ones (made in Germany) that originally made me such a W-S fan.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:49 AM   #948
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
http://www.leesrazors.com/products/M...ety-Razor.html

The Merkur 23C has a long handle version and it's the same shaving head as the travel. (I have both.)
I mistakenly put in "28C" in my amazon search and came up empty. Got a 180 instead, which looks to be the same i.e. travel head/long handle. Got some new Italian Virgin Breast Milk shaving creme, too.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
Old 06-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #949
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
If you guys haven't tried Cella shave soap, you need to. I've tried a bunch of different soaps when I started, settled between Proraso and Tabac, but once I tried the Cella I haven't used anything else. It's incredibly rich, slick, and smells like almonds. It has the consistency of a putty, yet lasts longer than most of the hard soaps I've used. It's a tallow-based soap rather than glycerine, and makes a great moisturizer if you just rub some in after you shave. It's also incredibly cheap; you can buy it in a 1000g "brick", which you can carve up and put in a bowl as you need it, for around $30. That would last most of us a couple of years!

My other recommendations are Feather blades, and Personna medical-prep blades. The Feathers are the sharpest thing going, but they lose their edge, for me at least, in a couple of shaves. The Personna's are nearly as sharp, and dirt-cheap if you buy them in the medical-prep bulk.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #950
Tilt2turn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
They really come in handy for scraping/cutting off the gunk left behind from price stickers, etc.
Thanks. Definitely sharper than the single edge blades in the big box stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
*I'm a little disappointed in these. They came in a black package, and they don't seem to be of the same quality as the white pack ones (made in Germany) that originally made me such a W-S fan.
I've been using the Wilkinson Swords from Wally World, but for various reasons, I don't want to ever give them any more of my money. Plus, I like the economy of scale when buying a 100 pk.
That is a bummer the blades are different when buying over the internet. I know it happens a lot, but if it is going to have the same name, it would be nice if it was the same quality.

http://winginit.smugmug.com/
Tilt2turn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #951
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:

It's the aftermarket "XL" version. Shaved with it this morning. The added weight of the machined adjustment knob really feels good.

It's replacing my Futur as my main razor.
Liiiitttle bit of a learning curve with the "XL" Progress. I didn't realise that to get it set right, you have to crank it all the way down (It'll stop on the "+") then back off to the number you like. I prefer the 2 to 2 area. The other thing that's important is the blade. I used the Merkur blade that came with it and while I love these for the first couple of shaves, I find they don't last anywhere near as long as my red pack Personnas do after that.

I don't think I've used my Futur or my Feather since picking up this "XL" Progress.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #952
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
I'm currently using the Russian-made Gillette 4 o'clock platinum blades.
I seem to nick myself quite a bit more now than with the cheap Walgreens blades I was using before.

I also nearly sliced off the tip of my finger with one, but that's another story...
discochris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #953
jazzmans
fickt euch

Oddometer: 7,331
while I was in SD, I shaved using old fashioned dr bronner magic soap (soap,shampoo,toothpaste,shavingcream) and did just fine. I only took one blade so I could get on the plane (first flight in 14 years!)

It wasn't as awesomly slimy as my TJ shaving cream (in a tube) though.

sorry dlearl that you're allergic.

Honestly, at this point I marvel that I bought into the marketing of disposables for so long.

life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.

Klay-->You know what I mean, you bubble-headed noise-maker.
jazzmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:48 AM   #954
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

No problem. I still use the TJ stuff as my travel cream. Easy to pack into a travel container than the Italian Virgin Breast Milk. I go out ten days at a time, and generally shave 2-3 times in that period (fully embraced the homeless-3day binge look). For that, the TJ cream works great.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #955
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Progress Update - So after ~year with my Merkur 23c - my collection of product has grown,

several brands of blades, soaps by proraso, taylor of bond, and Col. Conk.

A couple brushes.

But I need another razor handle - one for home and one for on the road w/o packing.

Any suggestions? Should I stick to Merkur or are there less expensive models that would work well in my kit?

Is the adjustable blade variant a good thing or just more to fussle with.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #956
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post

But I need another razor handle - one for home and one for on the road w/o packing.

Any suggestions? Should I stick to Merkur or are there less expensive models that would work well in my kit?

Quote:

I go back and forth between my 23C and my Futur.

Oh! And by the way, the head on the 23C is the same as the head on the Merkur "Travel" razor.

The Merkur Travel Razor has the same head as the 23C.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #957
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

I don't travel in the conventional sense, I can leave the razor there, I just need two separate razors to avoid traveling with it.

Do you mind the shorter handle on the travel razor?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #958
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
The Merkur Travel Razor has the same head as the 23C.

And based on Xeraux input, I do just that. 23C for home, travel razor for the road.
The ONLY complaint I have about the travel razor is that a blade won't survive a trip in the travel case, so I end up chucking a lot of otherwise good blades, as I'll generally only shave once or twice on a trip.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #959
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
I don't travel in the conventional sense, I can leave the razor there, I just need two separate razors to avoid traveling with it.

Do you mind the shorter handle on the travel razor?
Then get two 23Cs.

I don't "mind" the shorter handle, but its nice to get home to the longer 23C. But if you're going to be packing a razor at all, the travel size is the way to go. Takes about space as two condoms.

Quote:

I bought a Futur as my first modern DE razor based on this thread. I tried a couple of times and I'd have better luck shaving with a chain saw than at any setting on the Futur other than all the way down (cant recall if that's 1 or 6)

IMO, the adjustability is a waste.

dlearl476 screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 01:00 PM
Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #960
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Two condoms what is this a trip to vegas?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: