Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #961
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Do you mind the shorter handle on the travel razor?
Hardly notice it. I love traveling with this little thing.

Also, I've never had the TSA even look twice at it. It doesn't look like a razor via x-ray when it's apart and in its case.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #962
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
The ONLY complaint I have about the travel razor is that a blade won't survive a trip in the travel case, so I end up chucking a lot of otherwise good blades, as I'll generally only shave once or twice on a trip.
I keep the blade in the wax paper and tuck it behind the head.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #963
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 23,271
Quote:
Two condoms what is this a trip to vegas?
Just a comparison size-wise. But then, I take XLs. Maybe 3 of yours.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #964
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 23,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
I keep the blade in the wax paper and tuck it behind the head.
I tried that and the paper just disintegrated. I figured if I just left it in the head, it would be ok. The outside was but the side that faced the handle resulted in a "Weasels Ripped my Flesh" quality shave.

At $.12/ea. I can afford to toss them.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #965
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
My main is a 23C - initially I thought I wanted the longer handle, but then it hit me that at any weird angle the smaller handle wouldn't limit shave angles nearly as much, so I went with the 23C. I'm happy with it.

----

How does Cella shave soap compare to either Prorasso or Truefitt & Hill (T&H being the best I've ever tried for a luxurious and smooth shave)?
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #966
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
With the DE's how often are you guys changing your blades? I switched from the Russian-made Gillettes to the Wilkinson's, and I'm finding I need to change the blades more often now...
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #967
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
With the DE's how often are you guys changing your blades? I switched from the Russian-made Gillettes to the Wilkinson's, and I'm finding I need to change the blades more often now...
There is the issue. Some blades just flat out last longer. Feathers I can do 4 - 5 comfy shaves, but they're pricey.

I usually use the Rapira's on my DE's and I get 3-4 comfy shaves, which is acceptable for 12 cents in my book.
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #968
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
You're gonna shit when I tell you this, but I have gone for over 30 shaves, once, with one blade, and am easily past shave number ten with the current one I have in there.

Depending on if the blade was maufactured correctly or not, I get anywhere from less than one shave (so some part of the blade is scraping my skin) to over 20. Lately I'd say it's been 14 to 20 shaves.

So you're scoffing and thinking I have a weak beard - hardly, dear sirs. Damned thick and dark beard.

The key to switching from mass-market razors isn't the double-edge razor, it's in the "wet shaving" ... in other words, the prep is key. But, yeah, I doubt I could get this many shaves from a blade like a Feather just due to how sharp they are in the beginning (so the angle they are ground or cut to) and how that very thin cutting edge wears away to leave a poorer blade for extended use.

A thing to get past is the super-sharpness of a new blade. If that's the luxury that you demand, then so be it. I contend, however, that while a large amount of 'pull' is bad, the very minor 'pull' feeling that a blade on its 4th and 5th shaves gets isn't anything to go spazzing about. A good blade doesn't really develop more 'pull' than that initial minor increase over the course of 20 shaves.

( I'll also contend that as the blade matures, it becomes far more forgiving ... so much so that I dislike switching to a new blade now. I usually do two passes, maybe three, and don't find that by the third pass my face is any more stubbly or looks any less baby-faced than a third pass with a new blade. For the initial pass, sure, maybe not as clean, but upon follow-ups it all ends up the same. )

I once wrote a huge reply on this in another forum, but those pages disappeared with time. All I'm gonna say is that I aim for over 14 shaves with each Derby blade (save for the ones that scrape immediately and get thrown out - rare, but they are allowed some manufacturing discrepencies, IMHO, since the blades are cheap and since it's Turkey), and usually get that, and more, now. Granted, for a while there I was in a job that I didn't have to shave every day, and in the next job I only had to shave 4 days a week. I'm now back to shaving... 6 days a week, so I'll be going through blades 'faster,' but I'm not getting stupid with inordinate amounts of blades.

Ask yourself this - would men all over the world in second and thrid world countries be using DE blade razors if they were so wasteful? Either those poor thrid-world guys have access to much, much better blades than you guys going through blades every two or three shaves, or... you're doing something wrong (like, as in prep or in your whole understanding/approach to shaving with a DE) .

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 08:18 AM
Old 01-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #969
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
I so go 10-20to shaves per blade.

I need a better way to track which blade side I am using.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #970
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:

Use the side that feels better, lol

Not that difficult.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #971
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
I've used Cella, Proraso (both from tube and jar), T&H, Colonel Conk, Tabac (tube and jar) and a number of the other premium shave soaps. Cella is just the best thing I've ever used, and now pretty much the only thing I use. It can take a bit longer than Proraso or some of the others to lather up, but the results are much better for me. It smells amazing, like an almond marzipan dessert, and is incredibly rich. I think of those I listed the Cella is the only tallow-based soap. If you like that cool menthol feeling and your skin can handle it, Proraso is pretty good stuff, but I keep coming back to the Cella as the best, as do all of my friends who try it. If you buy Cella in th big brick size it's also probably the cheapest soap you'll ever find. It has a very strange consistency, like putty, and you'd think that with such a soft soap you'd go through it quickly, but that's not the case at all. I can get twice the shaves out of a jar of Cella than I could a jar of Proraso or Tabac.

My usual rig is a Futur w/ Feather blades, and the Cella. I've tried hundreds of combinations of razors, blades, and soaps, and this one knocks it out of the park every time. I've had chronic problems with ingrown hair and acne my entire adult life, and shaving every other day with this setup is the only thing that has worked to clear it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
My main is a 23C - initially I thought I wanted the longer handle, but then it hit me that at any weird angle the smaller handle wouldn't limit shave angles nearly as much, so I went with the 23C. I'm happy with it.

----

How does Cella shave soap compare to either Prorasso or Truefitt & Hill (T&H being the best I've ever tried for a luxurious and smooth shave)?
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #972
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
Feather blades go downhill fast for me after the 2nd shave, so I only use them twice. I have a beard like barbed wire though, and I only try to shave 2-3 times a week, so getting 4-5 shaves out of a blade won't save me $20 a year. I also tend to get more nicks and cuts when I stretch beyond two shaves on a blade.

Quote:

'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #973
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
... My usual rig is a Futur w/ Feather blades, and the Cella. I've tried hundreds of combinations of razors, blades, and soaps, and this one knocks it out of the park every time. I've had chronic problems with ingrown hair and acne my entire adult life, and shaving every other day with this setup is the only thing that has worked to clear it up.
Thanks for that write up!

---------

I'm in a position where I'm shaving nearly every day now (some weeks I have one day off, some weeks two, but many time over a week goes by without me having time off) and I have been improving on what I have. Prorasso pre-shave is now a requirement, and a little Shave Secret on top of that, before lathering, helps.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #974
gremor
RS'er

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan16 View Post
Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking the Gillette multi blades have gotten worse over the years and the prices are wwwaaayyy too high

Anybody try these guys yet ?

http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

(the video is a viral sensation)

btw...best shave cream for my mug, so far, Geo Trumper

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...KTT7B3FTGX938N

Shits expensive but slicker than cat shit.
I have been a member for 6 months now and use the "middle of the road" blades.

It's 6 bucks a month and the shave I get is as good or better than anything I have bought at the store at any price.

I have never tried the straight razors that all here are talking about, but I see myself going down this path.

Greg

But I've matured. Now I'd make sure I was drunk before I tried to fuck a snake"..........Bueller
gremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #975
eric1514
(R)

Oddometer: 494
Hi folks,

2 questions about DE stuff, if you please.

1) Is there much difference in a $20 Chinese handle vs. a $60 European or is it more of a pride-of-ownership thing?

2) When you're done shaving, do you have to open up the action on the handle to let things dry or will everything be OK if it just sits out on the counter?

TIA,
Eric
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: