User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
while i've got it apart... exhaust cleanup

I'm trying to shy away from the "while i've got it apart i may as well..." line of thinking.

That being said, i'm gonna clean up the exhaust a bit which I think is stainless???

I've been looking at this thread for tips:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187078

Is there any CHEAP methods to help the process or prevent corrosion?

By cheap, I mean <$50 or else i'll just use some cleaner and a green abrasive pad to polish the grime off.

I'm not after pretty, i'm after longevity.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
I'm trying to shy away from the "while i've got it apart i may as well..." line of thinking.
Too late.

Try Noxon metal polish. Available at any good hardware store. That and elbow grease.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
RocketJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Thumb +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB
Too late.

Try Noxon metal polish. Available at any good hardware store. That and elbow grease.
+1
RocketJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

is the exhaust stainless steel?

(89 r100gs)
Old 02-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
RocketJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Yup

Quote:

(89 r100gs)
Good stuff too. At least the OEM part.
RocketJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #6
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

anything i could splash around the inside of the collector and pipes?

If it doesn't do anything beneficial, i won't bother, but just wondering if they get eaten up from the inside out or the other way around.

Man, i have tremendous respect for the metal quality of this beast.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,424
Any brand name chrome cleaner or metal polish, like Flitz or Mother's Metal polish will clean these up pretty quick. I would only use steel wool in as a last ditch resort. Simoniz chrome cleaner worked real well on mine the last time I got around to cleaning it. Semichrome works really well but my favorite is Flitz if you can find it.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

okey doke. Will attack it soon and let you know.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #9
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,530
werent german dwarves the first metallurgists?

Germans - They make good steel.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:17 PM   #10
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,972
Dat, i dunno about this 'stainless' business-- i thought the stock chromed GS exhaust stuff was just that-- chromed steel. May be/prolly am wrong, but regardless, the pipes see so much oil soot that i doubt corrosion-from-within is a huge issue, unless the bike gets submerged.

That being said, a swab of Chem-Prime/OSPHO (trade names. It's phosphoric acid essentially) etc might be interesting inside the pipes (it'll etch chrome, paint etc). My only experience w/ perforated BMW pipes was on ancient stock RS pipes at the upkick-- where water would naturally collect. I suspect that was directly due to the pre-garage days when that classic had to sit outside in years of FL rain.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:12 AM   #11
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,968
The stock system is a combination of stainless and chromed steel, I believe. I do know the headers are chromed steel. And I think the collector is too. And I'm pretty sure the muffler is stainless. Most alloys of stainless are not magnetic and the 304 grade used on mc exhaust isn't. So check it out with a magnet.

Don't use anything like steel wool on the headers - only chrome polish or something similar. Take your time. They're usually not that difficult to clean up.

On the muffler (if it is stainless which I'm fairly certain it is) very fine steel wool will work to clean it up nicely. It will have very fine scratches that can be polished out to make a mirror finish, but will look nice without. Besides the compounds listed above, I've also used polishing and rubbing compound - fairly cheap stuff at any auto supply. I've also used stainless pots and pans cleaner you can find at the grocery store.
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:56 AM   #12
Joerg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:

(89 r100gs)
If you still have the original exhaust system on your bike, it's not made of stainless steel ... unless a PO has installed the stainless steel muffler of the post-1990 models.

The downpipes and the collector box have always been manufactured from "ordinary" steel, no matter what model year. The muffler was from "ordinary" steel until late 1990 (=model 1991), and was replaced by stainless steel afterwards.

--
1990 BMW R80GS and K100LT * Lausanne, Switzerland
My Motorcycle WebPages - LED voltage monitor (aka charge light)
Joerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #13
nick_rhinocycles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
I have cleaned up a lot of metal parts on old Honda CB750s and have some things to add.

If it is chrome, then Mothers or some other kind of metal polish used with VERY find stee wool (labelled like this: #0000) is fine to do.
You will be amazed how much rust you can get off with this and some patient elbo grease.

Do NOT use the green scrubby pads as they will scratch the heck out of any thing you put them to.

After you polished up your chrome piece, WAX that puppy 5 times in a row. I am not kidding. Wax is great and will last a long time (don't listen to people who will complain about temp and whatnot, just do it).

Same is true for stainless, except you don't have to worry about rust re-appearing after you just cleaned it up. This method of #0000 wool and polish works great for SS.

For aluminum, using Steel Wool will embed the fibers in the aluminum and then it will rust! and corrode and look WORSE than when you started! BTDT.

As far as taking care of the INSIDE of the pipe, the best thing you can do for you bike is to take it on a long enough ride so the pipes heat up fully. Most corrosion from the inside is from condensation that does not get burned off fully from short trips.

If you were going to store it you could probably squirt some WD-40 in there, without too much harm!

Good luck,
--Nick
nick_rhinocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #14
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,660
Be careful of the exhaust gaskets on the headers and muffler... I made the HUGE mistake of thinking changing these would be a good idea... then after 5 hours of fitting, swearing, sanding and cutting I got the stupid thing back together... serious PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #15
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,910
The stock exhaust system on my GS1000 had 53,000 miles on it when I bought it in Dec. It had baked on dirt and oil from the headers back thru the collector(totally covered) and even on the muffler (50 %). I spent 7 or 8 hours with chore girls and simple green and got it all removed. Looks almost new from the collector back and the header is a nice dark blue . Well worth the effort. Very high quality system.
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote