Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Grog OP
Old Bastard

Oddometer: 165
Adv Boots (Forma)

G,day Inmates

Looking to buy a new pair of boots.

Have you brought a pair of Forma Adventure Boots. If you are wearing them, what are your thoughts on them.

Not really looking at about price, more their protection, comfort, waterproofing and how well they are made.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Grog
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,274
and how WIDE they are (not narrow like Sidi Crossfires??)
Old 06-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
wairau
richie

Oddometer: 1,508
Thumb

Yep, I bought the brown ones from Andy Strapz. Got the correct size first up by following the instructions on his website, which is no risk from him anyway.

I have wide feet with a reasonably high arch and they're a good fit. Surprisingly comfortable first up and have been a very easy all day prospect. On a recent 2 week ride I was wearing them in the evenings in the pub unbuckled under my jeans. Saved having to pack another pair of shoes for that.

Haven't tested the waterproofness beyond ankle deep but they won't be waterproof to the top because the liner bit doesn't go that high. My trousers come down well below that, so I'd expect to stay dry in the pissing rain. Putting your foot down in the river deeper than about 1', you'll get water in.

The sole was more flexible than I thought it might be, but the instep is stiff and standing on the pegs for long periods was never an issue. Getting my toe under the gear lever wasn't an issue up on the pegs either with plenty of flex in the ankle.

Overall, I think its a well made boot that isn't going to fall to bits. They're not MX boots and don't offer that level of stiffness. Protection is a fairly subjective thing. If you have only ever worn MX boots, them these might feel a bit flimsy with too much flex in the ankle. For ADV riding/touring they're more than up to it.

Depends what kind of riding you had in mind. I would buy them again.
wairau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
mostro900
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
They're good

Just got a pair after 2 friends swore by them. Was using a pair of BMW GS boots(a bit more MX style) and these are more comfortable, less bulky and more waterproof(not 100%), but not as leaky as the BMW boots - plus they're cheaper. My foot is more on the skinnier side, but very comfortable leaving them on all day.

Apparently Forma used to make boots for other companies to re-brand and have recently gone to market directly.
mostro900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,311
pretty good boots

I have some Forma boots that I have only worn once. I usually wear MX boots so to me these seemed light and easy to walk in. They lack some protection from front impact compared ot a MX boot. They have some little toe side protection ( more than some MX boots). The clasp system looks robust enough. I have skinny feet and they fit OK.

I was going to sell mine because of swelling in my ankle after a fractured leg. Now I can fit them on again. Err on the side of one size up when ordering. You can always pad them out with socks/inner soles: or return to Andy.

Check out ordering via the net from Germany. Thecanoeguy said that is the go price wise.
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
sidetrack one
Chief Tiddler

Oddometer: 5,929
Wearing them now, been wearing them all day every day for the last 16 days, best boots I,ve ever had! so comfortable, and as for me, totally waterproof, I have had some of the worst riding conditions ever, and each nite, totally dry socks Could not recommend highly enough!! just make sure you go the one size up recommendation, spot on for me
sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
backtodirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack bob View Post
Wearing them now, been wearing them all day every day for the last 16 days, best boots I,ve ever had! so comfortable, and as for me, totally waterproof, I have had some of the worst riding conditions ever, and each nite, totally dry socks Could not recommend highly enough!! just make sure you go the one size up recommendation, spot on for me
agree here, have had mine for 2 years, did 14 day trip Perth to Melbourne then watched the gp for 4 days in pissing rain did not take them off for more than 'sleep time', jeans over them and they can still get you into pubs/nightclubs without looking too stupid!
size fitted exactly same as my normal shoes.
backtodirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
gswadd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
Check out ordering via the net from Germany. Thecanoeguy said that is the go price wise.
I tried that on a set of Forma MX boots but the freight was a killer - $70 to Australia so check that first. Ended up getting them cheaper out of Forma Australia. The Adventure boots are a great fit and wearable all day. I recently did 7500km on the last GS Safari with them on and they were perfect for that type of riding. Not as much ankle support as genuine off-road boots but extremely comfortable.
gswadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
Mattyvas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Got'em and lov'em

Yep got me a pair of them and they are great.
Waterproof enough to do days on end with and when tucked under your pants it's even better.
Mine took a day to wear in and it's all fun from there on.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
Grog OP
Old Bastard

Oddometer: 165
Thanks.....

Thanks heaps for all your input.

I have just ordered a set.

GCR, the Rock, Coober Pedy, Lake Eyre, Birdsville then who knows, coming up in a few weeks....Yahoo!!!!

Grog
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #11
rvt
Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer: 1,362
Minejust did 12000km, including over 2000km of dirt and offroad, submersed in rivers etc. Still fine. I would buy them again. Not as much protection as mx boots, but great to walk in.

This week's ride: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Vcz6Icqrhsbbpq
rvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #12
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,213
For those, like me, who have never seen them...

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:05 AM   #13
Not for Highway Use
Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer: 1,011
Ordered a pair from Steve at adventuremoto. Should arrive tomorrow

Legend in my own Control Panel
Not for Highway Use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:26 AM   #14
damo2010
damo

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboroughlad View Post
Yep, I bought the brown ones from Andy Strapz. Got the correct size first up by following the instructions on his website, which is no risk from him anyway.

I have wide feet with a reasonably high arch and they're a good fit. Surprisingly comfortable first up and have been a very easy all day prospect. On a recent 2 week ride I was wearing them in the evenings in the pub unbuckled under my jeans. Saved having to pack another pair of shoes for that.

Haven't tested the waterproofness beyond ankle deep but they won't be waterproof to the top because the liner bit doesn't go that high. My trousers come down well below that, so I'd expect to stay dry in the pissing rain. Putting your foot down in the river deeper than about 1', you'll get water in.

The sole was more flexible than I thought it might be, but the instep is stiff and standing on the pegs for long periods was never an issue. Getting my toe under the gear lever wasn't an issue up on the pegs either with plenty of flex in the ankle.

Overall, I think its a well made boot that isn't going to fall to bits. They're not MX boots and don't offer that level of stiffness. Protection is a fairly subjective thing. If you have only ever worn MX boots, them these might feel a bit flimsy with too much flex in the ankle. For ADV riding/touring they're more than up to it.

Depends what kind of riding you had in mind. I would buy them again.
+1 to above comments
Have drowned them on last years longest day and even wet they still feel OK. They dryed quick when riding, but that was summer.
Wore them with draggin jeans to an all day meeting in Brisbane and no one noticed, but I'm rough around the edges anyway. Comment about not taking other shoes is true, they are that comfy

Yamaha Tenere XTZ660 4UX
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...rbiW8y1XLQCMtY
damo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:02 AM   #15
PBee
_

Oddometer: 9,430
Good thread, I've been looking at these boots for a while.

I like the brown ones.

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUB Est 2011.
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is online now   Reply With Quote