Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2008, 05:46 AM   #766
ScottyDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Hey Mr Farkles! What's the screen model, where from and cost please?
How does it work, and how tall are you?
Cheers! Scotty Dog
ScottyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #767
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,520
Same problem here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb
Finally went and put 25L in the big tank.

Get home put it in the garage, turn off. Walk away come back a couple of minutes later and there is a puddle of fuel under the bike! Hmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Turn the fuel taps off, and get down on the floor. The fuel is coming from the carb overflow.

My mechanical knowlegde is pretty much a big fat ZERO. I'm assuming it's not actually a tank problem but a carby one.

I have not had this problem before. Having said that I haven't had this much fuel on board previously either.

So gents, how do I fix it??

PLEASE.
My son's DR did this too. First time he filled his safari tank and parked it in the shed it pissed fuel out of the overflow. I suspect the pressure of the full fuel load is stopping the needle from seating properly, but turn off the fuel and it stops (naturally). We haven't filled it since so can't comment on whether it is an ongoing problem, an intermittent one, or a one-off. I'll keep you posted if it occurs again.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #768
GodSilla
I did that.

Lighting question

Has anyone changed their crappy Halogen light globe for an HID Bi-Xenon?
I'm interested in what you think of the conversion, where you put the ballast, and where you obtained the HID kit and how much. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #769
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
My son's DR did this too. First time he filled his safari tank and parked it in the shed it pissed fuel out of the overflow. I suspect the pressure of the full fuel load is stopping the needle from seating properly, but turn off the fuel and it stops (naturally). We haven't filled it since so can't comment on whether it is an ongoing problem, an intermittent one, or a one-off. I'll keep you posted if it occurs again.
Even after turning the taps OFF the fuel continued to flow out the carby overflow! Until it was finally all gone. I have heard of problems with the Safari taps. I bought my tank second hand and old mate gave me a couple of new spare taps that may have to be fitted.

I've got a mate with more mechanical knowledge than I (thats not too difficult) coming around today to have a look...

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #770
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Has anyone changed their crappy Halogen light globe for an HID Bi-Xenon?
I'm interested in what you think of the conversion, where you put the ballast, and where you obtained the HID kit and how much. Thanks.
hey champ,

I changed mine to a super brite bulb and installed an upgraded harness, both from TPI. I'm not sure that if you go the HID way the harness will be sufficient. Come over some night and have a look at the output if you like

PM me

rossco

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #771
Mr.Farkles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDog
Hey Mr Farkles! What's the screen model, where from and cost please?
How does it work, and how tall are you?
Cheers! Scotty Dog
Hi Scott, I'm still playing around with the unlimited adjustments that this screen offers. With my flip-up helmet's visor closed I have no buffeting at all and I'm 6' 2". It looks very nice on the bike.
Here is the link.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/935/343/
Old 01-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #772
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Farkles
Thought I woud finally post after 6 months of owning my

this is its new look

Hi Mr Farkles

I know there's a zillion DR's around Melbourne but I think Jess and I saw you zip past at the intersection of the Warburton woodspoint road, and big river road on the 28th..

look familiar?
Attached Images

kiwipeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #773
antipode
Wanderer

Oddometer: 551
Refuse to star

My '08 DR650SE didn’t start this morning. Or even worse, it started and quit 3 km from home.
I pushed back all 3 kms and it was bloody heavy!!!! Everything seemed up slope. I am just glad it did it 3 km for home and not in the middle of the Watagans national park.

I installed an IMS tank 10 days ago, after flushing the tank several times and installing I did a first full tank, I hit reserve at exactly 314 Km. then I did 16 Km. in reserve before I went into a servo and put 16 l. in, so there was still 3 l. in the tank.
This morning, as soon as it hit the 300 km. mark it started to run rough so I switched to reserve and it died inmediately... never to start again.

I checked the tank and there was definitey fuel in it, not sure how much but there seems to be at least 3 litres. Once I get home this arvo I will refuel and see how much it takes. How many km. are you getting out of one tank? how far can you go in reserve? is it possible that the fuel tap does not have a reserve or that when moving to reserve the fuel cannot reach the carby just because the loop on the fuel line?

I checked that I haven't lost the cap on the vacuum thing on the carby that you need to close when changing from the vacuum petcock to the IMS one, but it was there and seemed ok.

I check the spark plugs and looked perfect.

Maybe fuel contamination? a blocked fuel line?

Ideas?
antipode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #774
Mr.Farkles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet
Hi Mr Farkles

I know there's a zillion DR's around Melbourne but I think Jess and I saw you zip past at the intersection of the Warburton woodspoint road, and big river road on the 28th..

look familiar?
Hi Peter, it could easily have been me that day. Did you notice a red Wee Strom in the same group? That's our friend Richard's (K1W1) bike.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:40 AM   #775
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by antipode
I checked the tank and there was definitey fuel in it, not sure how much but there seems to be at least 3 litres. Once I get home this arvo I will refuel and see how much it takes. How many km. are you getting out of one tank? how far can you go in reserve? is it possible that the fuel tap does not have a reserve or that when moving to reserve the fuel cannot reach the carby just because the loop on the fuel line?
Bocked fuel cap breather?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:20 AM   #776
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlicker
Kiwipete did you just have your panniers resting on the cover?? Maybe need to set up a rack or a bar like eltoad man has , he has posted pics in this thread . Also what sort of bags were you running??
Sorry Mudlicker, i didn't see your post.

We just had some soft saddle bags which we threw over Jess's bike. The end of the side cover just folded inward and touched the exhaust. Even though the panel has a little post thing to stop it movinf in and the exhaust has a heat shield, the soft panel between those points still made contact.

I already have installed a ventura pack-rack on mine. We'll do the same on Jess's bike.

I'm kicking myself for not doing it on day 1 but we were a bit strapped for cash at the time. Once we find work and have some cash coming in again, we'll start buying some bike bling...
kiwipeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:18 AM   #777
GodSilla
I did that.

Safari fuel taps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb
Even after turning the taps OFF the fuel continued to flow out the carby overflow! Until it was finally all gone. I have heard of problems with the Safari taps. I bought my tank second hand and old mate gave me a couple of new spare taps that may have to be fitted.

I've got a mate with more mechanical knowledge than I (thats not too difficult) coming around today to have a look...
I was speaking with Tony kirby a few weeks back and he said that they had stopped using the older fuel taps and gone to a new type, as the older ones used to get stiff and seize up, something to do with a conical shaped bit inside? He didn't mention any leaking, but the implied message was that the conical shaped bit was troublesome and could wear prematurely too, which would stuff the sealing. If I continue to have trouble I might try their newer taps, but I'll wait and see how things pan out first.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:35 AM   #778
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
I was speaking with Tony kirby a few weeks back and he said that they had stopped using the older fuel taps and gone to a new type, as the older ones used to get stiff and seize up, something to do with a conical shaped bit inside? He didn't mention any leaking, but the implied message was that the conical shaped bit was troublesome and could wear prematurely too, which would stuff the sealing. If I continue to have trouble I might try their newer taps, but I'll wait and see how things pan out first.
Fitted the new taps and a mate pulled off the bottom of the carby (bowl??? see I've got no mechanical idea!!) sprayed some "magic" spray in there. Re assembled the whole lot and she doesn't leak with 20L on board. Anyway time will tell.

I do recall reading somewhere that the MCS (el cheapo brand taps that come with the tank) are a copy of a Suzuki tank. The thread even listed the part number, but at $75 each tap it's a big ask for me. I'll see how the new MCS travel...

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #779
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Thinking of getting a new DR650SE
I know the list price is $7690 plus ORC
I am in Sydney

What is the onroad price people have paid (say in the last 3 months) in NSW for a new DR ? Which dealer ?

Do not care if it is 2007 or 2008
(do not think that a silver 'S' will make much difference to performance :) )
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #780
antipode
Wanderer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnieM
Thinking of getting a new DR650SE
I know the list price is $7690 plus ORC
I am in Sydney

What is the onroad price people have paid (say in the last 3 months) in NSW for a new DR ? Which dealer ?

Do not care if it is 2007 or 2008
(do not think that a silver 'S' will make much difference to performance :) )
BurnieM, I paid 8039 including ORC six weeks ago in Hills Motorcycles. If you want I can give you the name of the guy so you can use me as a reference and ask for the same price. It worked for me as I used oodeano as a reference, he bought his 8 weeks ago. They are K8.
antipode is offline   Reply With Quote