Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
uptown OP
No stoppies on an Airhead

Oddometer: 134
Question Removing headlight lens and rim from headlight bucket on an Airhead?

What do you all use to pry the chrome rim and lens from the headlight bucket? In the past I *gently* pryed it open with a screwdriver through a thick cloth to keep it from scratching/denting.

Before doing this again tonight, I saw a slight divet around the rim - not sure if it was even me that did this, but I thought I would tap the Old School brain trust to see what some others use/do...

I'm in MN, it's sleeting out right now, and expected to get a foot of snow. But the temps keep on rising, and spring is coming:

uptown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,730
yo Uppity-- a gentle no-mar blip with a screwdriver (the toolkit screwdriver works fine here) at the 6 o'clock position will pop it right off once the release screw is backed off. BMW chrome is pretty stout. Is'nt the crimp there for the screw head? Talking out my memorial ass here-- been 7 years since i sold the RS. But i seem to recall a phillips screw at 6 o'clock that releases the tension on the chrome ring-- turn a screwdriver at the same point and it pops loose-- lift the ring off the top tabs and you're in biz. Yes?
Old 02-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
uptown OP
No stoppies on an Airhead

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Yes?
Thanks Mugwest - yep, it was that simple. No screw on mine, though ('76 /6). Just popped it with a gentle pry on the bottom. I wasn't prying from the bottom in the past, so I was using a little more force than I thought was needed. All good now.

Now that I got into the bucket, I was able to pull the turn signal relay and order a new one - for $57.

I am very grateful that I am able to still buy parts for my 30+ year old ride, but that doesn't mean I have to like the prices.
uptown is offline   Reply With Quote