Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2007, 03:11 AM   #16
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat
The price - that you paid - that's interesting, too, because we all thought it was too expensive. What a "turn up for the books" that it can work out to less than the motoport. Give us the details - do they have a website? I think they might get a few more sales after this.
From his other thread, he bought it from Biker-Land in Bad Kreuznach, Germany

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:32 AM   #17
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves
HI-ART (High Abrasian Resistant Textile) is, simply expressed, a terry-cloth type polyester. By turning the textile fibres outside in the form of small loops, friction will work against the small end of the fibres. It's like working a piece of wood, easier to sand down along the fibres than at the end of the stub.

Seems pretty simple. But it must work as it's passed the euro standards.
That's quite clever. Now I wonder if it wouldn't be even better - like more abrasion-resistant than leather - if it was made of an aramid blend instead of polyester.

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:02 AM   #18
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,970
Is it a foam pad for a the back protector?
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:17 AM   #19
Skitch
Riding the range

Oddometer: 1,493
Thanks for the review. This sounds like a great jacket. I've long thought that the perfect jacket would be something like that: vented armor section with abrasion resistance that could be covered by a windproof/weatherproof overcoat. I like that "space age" interior liner and look forward to your review of it when the weather warms up. I share your sentiments: good gear should not only be protective, but it should be comfortable as well. Riding comfortable is certainly one piece of the accident avoidance equation. Also agree, it should have more reflective material on it.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:41 AM   #20
Gary B.
Older than dirt...

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B.
Looks like some overkill to me. I looked at least 3 times. Am I missing the price?
What I meant was I doubt most people need, what, four jackets? At that price it ain't bad, however...
"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause ? you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."----- John Wayne

DR stands for "Daily Rider"

'06 Suzuki DR650SE
'06 Kawasaki Concours - 2up Cruiser
'99 Yamaha YZ400
'05 KTM 125SX-SOLD!!!
'90 KTM LC4-the bike's gone, but the memory remains, along with the oil spots on the floor
Gary B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #21
MojaveGS
Loving it!

Oddometer: 3,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybug
From his other thread, he bought it from Biker-Land in Bad Kreuznach, Germany
They also have some pretty good prices on their Rukka stuff.
VTTMZFPKWGDKZXTJCDIGKUHUAUEKCAR
MojaveGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:54 AM   #22
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
You have done us all a great service by posting this info. I do find it ironic that a high-end safety jacket is sold predominantly in black!
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #23
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,480
From a member to be named later:

Quote:
1. Is the outer layer Gore_Tex?

A1. No. It is "Dryway+", which is Halvarssons-branded Sympatex.

2. Questions about sleeve and body lengths for taller riders.

A2. I am 6' 4" tall and my XXL jacket and trousers fit me like they are made to measure. Perfect sleeve, body and leg lengths.

3. Abrasion performance compared to leather.

A3. The HSS is already as tough as leather! It meets the highest, Level 2 requirements of European Standard EN 13595 (> 7 seconds from contact to perforation) and the even higher, Level 3 requirements of the Cambridge Standard (> 12 seconds). What's more, it achieves athis across the entire surface area of the garment, not merely in the limited shoulders, elbows, seat, hips and knees, like conventional leather and textile garments.

4. Is there a back protector?

A4. There is a pocket which accepts either a Halvarssons or Forcefield component, conforming to EN 1621-2, as a cost option.

5. Lack of high visibility material.

A5. A high visibility outer jacket is available as an accessory in waterproof, part-vented and fully-vented versions. There are plans to produce more variations of the outer layers so riders can change them to match different bikes.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #24
makinwaves OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawidual
Is it a foam pad for a the back protector?
Interesting that you should ask....there isn't one!

I didn't notice right away but when I did I was surprised. I've been trying to figure out why one wouldn't be included....was it a conscious decision? Is it based on accident data and findings that suggest back protectors don't necessarily increase safety? Are there not many spine injuries in motorcycle accidents? etc., etc. So far not sure. The safety jacket does include a sleeve to add a back protector and Halvarssons makes them as well, so it seems odd that it's not included. I'm betting there is rationale behind the decision and am going to send an email to them to see if I can get an answer. Stay tuned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass
You have done us all a great service by posting this info. I do find it ironic that a high-end safety jacket is sold predominantly in black!
Thanks ikonoklass! They also sell a full mesh high-vis overjacket that you can add to the system (i.e., instead of the Airy or Folio, you'd put this one on over the safety jacket), however, given that it is mesh, this wouldn't work well in the winter. Especially as winter is when you probably need the extra visibility the most. At the very least I would have thought the large white patches of the jacket would be made of some sort of retro-reflective material. Oh well, at least my high vis jacket is lightweight enough to add when it's needed.

Note looking at their website again I noticed some additional optional outerjackets you can purchase or add to the system (the Airy and Folio are included in the package, these other jackets are optional accessories that can be purchased).

These options include:
  • Full mesh (black)
  • Full mesh (high-vis)
  • Halogen (a bright yellow wind-proof, water-proof winter jacket)
Here are some pics of these other outerjackets:

makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:47 PM   #25
makinwaves OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oops, sorry soloyosh. I guess you (or someone?) beat me to it.

Do you know why a back protector wasn't included? Cost?
Old 02-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #26
Skitch
Riding the range

Oddometer: 1,493
Aerostich doesn't include one as standard in their products as well...it is an option.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:33 PM   #27
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '14

Oddometer: 1,801
Quick question, if the safety layer is inside, does that mean half the jacket system gets chewed up in a crash?

Dig that last hi-viz pic.

-Eff
Old 02-26-2007, 07:42 PM   #28
makinwaves OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescent
Quick question, if the safety layer is inside, does that mean half the jacket system gets chewed up in a crash?

Dig that last hi-viz pic.

-Eff
....versus having to replace the entire jacket if you're using one that is not so robust?

Ya, I guess so. Probably a good possibility that you may only have to replace the outer jacket in a crash. Hadn't thought of that as a good bonus, but I guess it is!
Old 02-26-2007, 07:52 PM   #29
bone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves
....versus having to replace the entire jacket if you're using one that is not so robust?

Ya, I guess so. Probably a good possibility that you may only have to replace the outer jacket in a crash. Hadn't thought of that as a good bonus, but I guess it is!

Hey, thanks for the great review. I feel exactly as you do regarding the Motoport stuff - I think the pants are probably great, but the jacket just looks so shapeless and awkward. I can't pull the trigger.

So how do you like the combo? Do they go reasonably well together or is it obvious you're wearing two wildly different brands?

And more importantly - did you have to pay any duty? Was the purchase completely smooth as you seem to imply?
bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 PM   #30
makinwaves OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone
Hey, thanks for the great review. I feel exactly as you do regarding the Motoport stuff - I think the pants are probably great, but the jacket just looks so shapeless and awkward. I can't pull the trigger.

So how do you like the combo? Do they go reasonably well together or is it obvious you're wearing two wildly different brands?
I think they go great together and didn't even think about if they might not match. I had to look at the picture of me in the first post again and actually it's a little misleading. It looks like the Halvarssons jacket is a slightly lighter black than the Motoport pants, but actually the opposite is true. The jacket is slightly darker. Must have been the flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone
And more importantly - did you have to pay any duty? Was the purchase completely smooth as you seem to imply?

Shit....how did I forget to mention the duty charges??? Long story short, I got burned!! Worse yet, I think I could have got off paying nothing!

*** Caveat - the following applies for Canadians only (not sure how/if duties apply for those down south..) ***

A friend who imports a lot of stuff from Europe told me to get the company to write the gear is safety related and you won't get charged duties. Seemed simple enough and Biker-Land were happy to write "safety jacket" on the bill of lading. Not much of a stretch really since it's the name of the jacket... Fast forward a few weeks and Canada Post is asking $200 Cdn for duty and fees!! "But, it's safety related!!?!" said me to the clerk, who didn't know anything about duties other than she can't release the package unless I pay...
So I paid.

I told my friend what happened and she clarified, you have to write "safety equipment". If you mention that it is clothing, then you get dinged all duty and import charges. Great, now I know..

I'm going to try and fight it though and explain that it is safety equipment, certified by EN CE standards, for use by UK police forces, etc., etc. Something tells me the chances of getting my money back are slim to nothing, but it's worth a try.