Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #46
kam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by micio
$500 plus shipping doesn't seem all that bad for that jacket. Did they quote you a price for the drawers? (and I wonder if the pants have 2 different shells also?)

I've been thinking about biting the bullet on a Motoport suit, expecting to spend $1100 or so, but the Halvorssons could be, dare I say it, CHEAPER?
I think he said it cost 500.00 GBP...British Pounds....currently converts to about 972.30 USD.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #47
makinwaves OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam
I think he said it cost 500.00 GBP...British Pounds....currently converts to about 972.30 USD.
Nope, Micio has the correct number, I paid about $500 USD. See post #8, UK sells the jacket for 500 GBP, but I bought it from Germany for about $500 USD!
makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #48
makinwaves OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh
How are you guys contacting biker-land? Got an email address? I've tried the one on their website and haven't received a reply in a couple weeks.
Hmmm, can't recall exactly now. I think I used the form initially and then just corresponded back and forth with either Mario or Isabella at mariofuchs@biker-land.de

I had similar response times as Cat, with no email going unanswered longer than 12 hours!! I was super impressed at how quickly they respond and understand others on this forum have had similar responses (e.g., "Retired06" and his purchase of a Rukka jacket from them).

Maybe double check you typed in the correct address???
Old 03-02-2007, 12:47 PM   #49
kam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves
Nope, Micio has the correct number, I paid about $500 USD. See post #8, UK sells the jacket for 500 GBP, but I bought it from Germany for about $500 USD!
Oh man, I didn't see that in your post.....well worth the effort!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #50
makinwaves OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat
Thanks! Well, the measurement I did [according motorport's instructions, which are the same, I think] I got about 35.5" - but i'm skinny. So I think the 52 is what I'll have to get, even though it'll be loose.

I sent email to biker-land.de yesterday, asking about the inseam length of the pants, and they replied within an hour. Twice, 2 different people. They contacted Jofama and got a .pdf listing the measurements needed, with a diagram showing where to measure. (The best I've seen.) They include the shoulder width, the outseam as well as the inseam of pants, the pants cuff width,... more than I've seen anywhere except with custom leathers. They said they'll send it to Jofama and they'll advise.

I was about to get a Kushitani leather jacket, but...the more I look at this, the more I think I'd better leave that for later. That Airy jacket looks good.
Are you saying that your bare arm length is 35.5"? If so, you might want to see if they sell it in "tall" sizes (they do that here) for people with longer arms / torsos than the norm.

If you decide to go with the size 52, note that you can tighten the jacket around the waist to provide a closer fit. Or you could change your lifestyle habits to drinking more beer and eating lots of donuts and pack on a bunch of weight!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #51
Fitnessguy4
Best is yet to ride

Oddometer: 13
Duty and Taxes

Hello makinwaves;

I am curious as to the amount of taxes and duty CCRA charged for the importing of this fine jacket into Canada?

Anthony STreppel
Fitnessguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #52
makinwaves OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitnessguy4
Hello makinwaves;

I am curious as to the amount of taxes and duty CCRA charged for the importing of this fine jacket into Canada?

Anthony STreppel
See post #30 and note my very embarrassed smilies!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 01:03 AM   #53
Corkonian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Saw this jacket at the bike show in Dublin at the weekend - looks good - the inner jacket isn't half as bulky as I'd have thought - doesn't seem as if it would get too hot in the Summer either.
Corkonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:14 AM   #54
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
quoting a long-time user of it:
Quote:
I have worn mine in the full mesh outers configuration in 40 C here in the UK and mid-to-high 30s C on the Continent and am confident I would have suffered from the heat had I been wearing any other form of motorcycling apparel. Yes, one does lose the benefits of the cooling airflow when at a standstill (although the slightest breeze gets through to the skin), but pull away and from as low as 5 mph one starts to feel the heat and perspiration being wafted away (and this behind an R1200RT fairing and screen!).

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #55
FuriousGeorge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Are there any vents in the waterproof shell? It doesn't look like it has any. I suppose it's not too big of a problem since it looks like swapping to the mesh outer should be pretty simple. Do the outer jackets pack down pretty small since they don't have armor in them? For $500 the Halvarssons is suddenly a lot more tempting than it was at $1000.
FuriousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:29 PM   #56
makinwaves OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousGeorge
Are there any vents in the waterproof shell? It doesn't look like it has any. I suppose it's not too big of a problem since it looks like swapping to the mesh outer should be pretty simple. Do the outer jackets pack down pretty small since they don't have armor in them? For $500 the Halvarssons is suddenly a lot more tempting than it was at $1000.
No, there arent' any vents per se, but you can unzip the outer jacket for one very large vent! If you look closely you'll notice that to do up the jacket you have to zip up the inner safety jacket, and then the outer shell. If you leave the outer shell unzipped there is about a 4 inch "vent" from top to bottom at the center of your chest. I discovered this accidently the other day when I forgot to zip up the outer shell and was shocked (! !) at the volume of air rushing into my chest! It really was unbelievable. Especially because once I zipped up the outer shell, there was nothing, not a hint of any air getting through!

So yes, if you unzip the outer waterproof (and windproof!!!) shell, you'll get an unbelievable large vent for cooling. If you want more air then you could switch to the "Airy" summer shell which is about a third mesh. Takes about 20-30 seconds to switch between the outer shells....

I haven't tried, but yes the outer shells should pack down quite small. As you note, no armour or thick material (e.g., cordura, kevlar, etc.) to get in the way.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #57
Giraffe1100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Makinwaves, good review.

Firstly I would recommend these winter gloves. They are warm, waterproof (gore-tex) and have a double guantlet arrangement that sits inside and outside the jacket cuff.
http://www.hein-gericke.com/uk/produ...roducts_id/613

Question: How do you attach the trousers to the jacket to stop it riding up in a spill/ cut drafts?

Comment: Not using gore-tex in a such top spec kit is poor.

G.
Giraffe1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #58
makinwaves OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe1100
Makinwaves, good review.

Question: How do you attach the trousers to the jacket to stop it riding up in a spill/ cut drafts?

Comment: Not using gore-tex in a such top spec kit is poor.

G.
Thanks for the glove recommendation!

There's a zipper provided on the inner jacket which attaches to the pants. If you look at some of the pictures of the safety jacket where it is opened up, you'll see the zipper just below the Outlast layer.

I wondered about gore-tex as well based on comments from other people, but I also questioned if it really is a be-all end-all product for rain protection and breathability??? I used to buy my ski jackets in the 80's when Goretex was all the rage, but could it really be that 20-25 years later there is still nothing on the market that comes close or even exceeds it?

This jacket uses something they call Dryway+, which is a Halvarssons branded version of Sympatex. I tried to find a comparison between gore-tex and sympatex, but could only find one page that said the 2 fabrics were the industry leaders. Here's what Outdoor Gear says about sympatex:
Sympatex® is the world's lightest, most flexible and breathable waterproof membrane around. It's 100% waterproof and 100% windproof, yet extremely breathable. As a result, feet are kept dry, warm, and comfortable, which is what HI-TEC is all about.

Sympatex® is unique. Unlike other waterproof membranes, it is a non-porous material providing high moisture transmission which allows your feet to breathe whilst still remaining dry. Sympatex® is also resistant to clogging from dirt and oils, so moisture transmission can continue despite harsh external outdoor environments.

What I can tell you though is that so far it works great!
Old 03-08-2007, 03:46 AM   #59
Giraffe1100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Firstly: Sorry, the gore-tex comment should have been 'is a bit poor'.

Regarding gore-tex - it's the only 'breathable' lining that I've had stay waterproof over the long term (when cleaned and treated with Nikwax). Maybe Sympatex will stay the course, it was more for a comment that for top ££ ($$$) I'd want to 'know' it was.

Still, I think I'm going to have to visit a local(ish) shop to try it out.
Giraffe1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:17 AM   #60
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 4,962

Sidi has recently switched their boots from Sympatex to GoreTex. I have no idea if it was a marketing or performance issue. Just something I noticed.