Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #61
Nata Harli OP
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by John™
What the hell is your problem? The info is getting indexed, just not by me.
John,

I was wondering the same thing. I thought the only thing we'd done is combine 2 threads so we weren't duplicating each other and putting the thread in the appropriate place - Trip Planning.

Maybe LR can clarify what his objections are.

And, I noticed a reference to HU and a booklet available over there. I've emailed Sjoerd Bakker to see if I can get a copy of his "Economical Hotels" booklet and if it's OK with him, I'll try and incorporate some of that info in this thread before I leave for Panama.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:37 PM   #62
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli
John,

I was wondering the same thing. I thought the only thing we'd done is combine 2 threads so we weren't duplicating each other and putting the thread in the appropriate place - Trip Planning.

Maybe LR can clarify what his objections are.

And, I noticed a reference to HU and a booklet available over there. I've emailed Sjoerd Bakker to see if I can get a copy of his "Economical Hotels" booklet and if it's OK with him, I'll try and incorporate some of that info in this thread before I leave for Panama.
Thanks, Pal! That would be some great info to add. I'm glad you are checking with him on inclusion here though. I just wish more folks would pay attention to copyrights.
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:01 PM   #63
Nata Harli OP
Cunning Linguist

Quote:
Thanks, Pal! That would be some great info to add. I'm glad you are checking with him on inclusion here though. I just wish more folks would pay attention to copyrights.
Yeah, I didn't want to cause any hard feelings with the folks over at HU. I'll get his OK first before I enter anything. If that doesn't work, it's up to us

Old 12-18-2007, 06:57 AM   #64
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
What the hell is your problem? The info is getting indexed, just not by me.
This is new news, John.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:35 AM   #65
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli
....Maybe LR can clarify what his objections are.......
Sure, be happy to. Thanks for asking...

This new Trip Planning Forum, as previously discussed and planned back in the summer, was to include travel information such as Places to Stay. The information would come from the inmates here. The information was/is to be organized/cataloged/indexed/whatever so that it was/is user friendly and not to be lost inside the bowels of an endless thread.

During these past summer discussions, I brought up the fact of your having started this very thread.

With my blurry eyes, I can't see how putting the initially stickied Places to Stay thread with agreed formatting of information into this thread (lottsa threads, huh) brings us any closer to the agreed upon goal. Possibly eye drops...or an explaination would help clear my vision.

The car is parked on the street and we all agreed that it should be in the driveway. Then this car is moved to the other side of the street.
And we're suppose to think that this imakes sense?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:34 AM   #66
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider

This new Trip Planning Forum, as previously discussed and planned back in the summer, was to include travel information such as Places to Stay. The information would come from the inmates here. The information was/is to be organized/cataloged/indexed/whatever so that it was/is user friendly and not to be lost inside the bowels of an endless thread.

During these past summer discussions, I brought up the fact of your having started this very thread.

With my blurry eyes, I can't see how putting the initially stickied Places to Stay thread with agreed formatting of information into this thread (lottsa threads, huh) brings us any closer to the agreed upon goal. Possibly eye drops...or an explaination would help clear my vision.

The car is parked on the street and we all agreed that it should be in the driveway. Then this car is moved to the other side of the street.
Please look at the first post in this merged thread. If it isn't exactly to your liking, sorry. But it is what we have to work with right now.
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #67
Nata Harli OP
Cunning Linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider

LR,

I wasn't part of the original discussion and had no idea it was taking place. When I noticed we had 2 similar threads going I thought it would simplify things if everything was merged and put into Trip Planning which seemed the appropriate place for it to be.

It seems to me the information is being "organized/cataloged/indexed/whatever so that it was/is user friendly". If you have some ideas as to how it could be better organized or more user friendly I would be glad to hear from you.

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes or cause any problems. I'm only trying to get some information out there that fellow inmates might find useful and have volunteered to do my best to keep the information current.

Nata

Old 12-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #68
Lone Rider

Nata, your help is very much appreciated and I'm glad you accepted the passed buck.
It's nice that we now have some solid information.
I've always liked your original outline and format.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #69
Lone Rider

Apologies for any repeats....

-----------------------------

State/Province/Department: Baja CA
City: Bahia de Los Angeles
Name: Raquel and Larry's
Address/Directions: north side of town, follow sand road and signs just before entering main town
Cost: Mid range for Baja, hotel rooms and small house for rent (3 br)
Parking: in front of your room
Date: '05 and before
Comments: not fancy, not trashy, will stay there again, restaurant and bar onsite, friendly people, Internet available (pay to play), right on the bay

-----------------------

State/Province/Department: Baja CA Sur
City: Vizcaino
Name: forgot
Address/Directions: across highway from Pemex, southside oof restaurant that's also bus station, one of 3-4 motels there, this is most northern one
Cost: Approx $20 single
Parking: Secure courtyard in front of rooms
Comments: not fancy, not trashy, will stay there again, everything (what there is) is close, great and cheap torta shop at the highway across from Pemex

---------------------------------

City: La Paz
Name: this descride 2 hostels called Hospedajes, both within a block of each other
Address/Directions: downtown, a few blocks in from the malecon, across from the MAS department store (ask, they know)
Cost: Approx $10 single
Parking: Secure courtyard inside
Comments: not fancy, not trashy, will stay there again, everything is within a few blocks, plentiful street food within stumbling distance, private rooms and baths, hot water

State/Province/Department: Baja CA
City: Puertecitos
Name: the main gated compound
Address/Directions: the only accommodation game in town, on the east side, right on the cove/bay
Cost: casmping is on the beach under palapas for a few bucks, they do have 6-8 motel rooms, cost wasn't high but I forget the number, cost $1 to enter compound
Parking: Secure
Comments: restaurant onsite but check hours, food and beer tienda a few hundred yards north along the road, hot springs in the rocks by the sea

----------------------

State/Province/Department: Chiapas
City: Comitan
Name: forgot, something Dolphin
Address/Directions: SW corner of the pretty zocalo, up a short incline, no other hotels right there, can’t miss it
Cost: Approx $20 single
Parking: Secure courtyard
Date: Feb ‘07
Comments: not fancy, not trashy, will stay there again, everything is within a few blocks

-----------------------

State/Province/Department: Baja CA, Baja CA Sur
City: multiple
Name: La Pinta
Address/Directions: several of these in Baja with Catavina maybe being the most important...if you get stuck there
Cost: From $60 and up
Comments: restaurant and bar onsite, built for the tourists

--------------------------

City: San Juanico
Name: Scorpion Bay
Address/Directions: go into town and follow sand road along cliff to the end
Cost: Approx $20 for enclosed palapa with cot, mat and sleeping bag, will sleep 4 or so, tent camping is about $10
Comments: great location on the cliffs over the pacific, restaurant/bar onsite, pay-to-play Internet, couple of other restaurants and tiendas in town, barrrel gas available, surfers' hangout when the waves are kicking

----------------------

State/Province/Department: Baja CA Sur (on the line)
City: Guerrero Negro
Name: Hotel Morro (not to be confused with a hotel of the same name in Santa Rosalia)
Address/Directions: on the right along the main road west into town, not too far in
Cost: Approx $20
Parking: Secure in front of room
Comments: one of many so-so hotels lining the main drag, restaurant onsite, base town for whale watchers, this town blows IMO

State/Province/Department: Oaxaca
City: Zipolite
Name: Pasada San Cristobal
Address/Directions: on the beach side, left side of main drag when coming into town, not Hotel San Cristobal which is across the street
Cost: Approx $15 single w/private bath
Parking: Secure in courtyard
Date: Jan '07
Comments: one of many so-so hotels lining the main drag, restaurant onsite, internet svces along main drag, cold Carta Blanca in big bottles at small tienda a block away

--------------------------------

State/Province/Department: Oaxaca
City: Puerto Escondido
Name: Rockaways
Address/Directions: South end of Zicatela beach, across road from beach
Cost: Approx $15, palapa-type cabins w/private bath
Date: '05 or '06
Comments: inexpensive place right on bikini alley, small grocery store onsite, swimming pool, good fans in room

--------------------------------------

City: Puerto Arista
Name: Jose's Camping Cabanas
Address/Directions: Go south/east on beach road, look for sign, a couple of blocks back from beach
Cost: Approx $8
Parking: Secure in front of cabin
Date: '05
Comments: layed back place run my Canadian expat, bath house and toilets in separate building from rooms/cabins, good fans in cabins, owner is good cook, big-ass shrimp

-----------------------------

------------------------------

State/Province/Department: Veracruz
City: Jose Cardel
Name: Hotel Cardel
Address/Directions: on westside of zocalo
Cost: Approx $22 single w/private bath
Parking: Secure in garage/lot
Date: '07
Comments: good location, restaurant onsite,
30 miles or so north of Veracruz on the gulf route

-----------------------

State/Province/Department: Peten
City: Flores
Name: Hotel Mayab
Address/Directions: go across causeway to Flores, left at 1st road, go to end (but not to the water perimiter road that's dirt ) and turn right, it's on the left
Cost: $9, small rooms, private baths
Parking: Secure in lobby
Date: '07, '06
Comments: good location, everything within spitting distance, clean, nice people, internet in lobby

City: El Naranjo
Name: Hotel San Francisco
Address/Directions: eastside of main drag, half a dozen blocks before the river
Cost: Approx $20 single w/private bath and ac
Parking: Secure in lot
Date: '06
Comments: small restaurant onsite, cheap food

State/Province/Department: Alta Verapaz
City: Coban
Name: Hotel Carlos V
Address/Directions: hard to explain, against the large parque, near market street, can be confusing with one-way streets, ask...sorry
Cost: Approx $15 single w/private bath
Comments: nice owners, nice hotel, restaurant onsite

-------------------------

State/Province/Department: Solola
City: San Pedro La Laguna (Lake Atitlan)
Name: Hotel Nantual??
Address/Directions: couple of blocks east of Pana dock, off main road along the water, on the right
Cost: Approx $9 single w/private bath
Comments: good location, nice owner, nice rooms, large parking lot

--------------------

State/Province/Department: Huehuetenango
City: HueHuetenango
Name: Hotel Mary
Address/Directions: on NE street that borders zocalo, 1-2 blocks past
Cost: Approx $12 single w/private bath
Comments: good location, markets nearby with small restaurant onsite, internet in lobby, beer cooler 3 1/2' from internet puters

State/Province/Department: Chihuahua
City: Basaseachi Falls
Name: something Cabins
Address/Directions: go south off Hwy 16 towards the Basaseachi Falls tourist parking area, it's on the left just before you enter the park
Cost: $50 cabins, private baths, comfy beds w/heavy blankets
Parking: Secure by cabin
Date: '03
Comments: wood-stoked heater, in the woods, chicks might like this

-----------------

-------------------

City: Creel
Name: Villa Mexicana
Address/Directions: go into town and its on the south end of the main street, east side
Cost: $50ish comfortable cabins, $5-10ish camping
Date: '03, '04
Comments: restaurant and bar onsite, nice facilities, run and managed Americana-ish, popular with groups

----------------------

State/Province/Department: Sonora
City: Hermosillo
Name: Hotel San Martin (or something very close to that)
Address/Directions: coming from the N: one the right just as you get into town, before the east bypass split
Cost: $30 w/private baths
Comments: regular motel w/restaurant onsite, Corona deposito 2 blocks south, good place when traveling thru

--------------------

City: Frontera Corozal
Name: Jaguar Co-op
Address/Directions: go to end of town/road and turn right just before you fall into the river
Cost: $20-25 bungalows w/private bath
Parking: Secure be room
Comments: restaurant onsite, location for river crossing via lancha to Bethel Guatemala, no alcohol allowed in co-op (the town) but a taxi driver bootlegs beer, just ask

-------------------------

State/Province/Department:
Veracruz
City
: Tuxpan
Name: Hotel Riviera (I think..)
Address/Directions: northside of the river, on the malecon drag, three story white building
Cost: $25-30, private baths
Parking: Secure beside lobby
Comments: good location, everything within spitting distance, clean, nice people

------------------------

City: Palenque
Name: Hotel Pasado
Address/Directions: on east side side of road north of traffic circle, north of town centro, well-signed, at a traffic light intersection, large-ish property
Cost: $35 bungalows w/ac beside hotel, others are +$
Parking: Secure by lobby
Date: '04, '05, '06
Comments: restaurant onsite, nice place, free internet in lobby

---------------------

State/Province/Department: Ciapas
City: Tuxtla Gutierrez
Name: Holiday RV Resort (or something like that)
Address/Directions: on the main/huge E/W drag where the large pedestrian bridge crosses over, hard to miss, property is in the NE quadrant of that intersection, well-signed
Cost: $25-30ish nice motel rooms w/ac, organized RV camping places
Parking: Secure by room
Comments: good location, everything within spitting distance, clean, nice people, free internet in lobby

-----------------------

State/Province/Department: Campeche
City: Champoton
Name: Hotel Gemini
Address/Directions: from south: follow malecon N, makes hard right E to follow river, turn right after bus station and HSC? bank, will be on right
from north: after crossing river bridge and following river, take left split off main road at mural wall on other hotel and into old section, then left at end, it's there on the right
Cost: $28 w/ac
Parking: Secure in lot 1 block away
Comments: good location, everything within spitting distance, clean, nice people, internet cafes on the same block

--------------

State/Province/Department: Guerrero
City: Pie de la Cuesta (just N of Acapulco)
Name: Hotel Juanita's (or some other female's name)
Address/Directions: into town under white arch or monument, on the left, oceanside, same entrance as another hotel
Cost: $25-30 w/private baths
Parking: Secure in courtyard
Date: '05, '07
Comments: clean, nice people, internet south a few blocks

City: Urique
Name: see comments
Address/Directions: go into town, go left at 'T', Plaza Restaurant is on the right, by the zocalo
Cost: Approx $30
Parking: Secure if you wheel up to your room
Comments: This hotel is up a hill a few blocks from the plaza/square/zocalo and is run by the folks at the Plaza Restaurant, go to the restaurant and inquire, not fancy, not trashy, will stay there again

--------------------

City: Poptun
Name: Finca Ixobel
Address/Directions:
3 miles south of town off main hwy, signed
Cost: $1(one)-$30, many options
Comments: Good meals and beers onsite, lots to do onsite, nice and inexpensive accommodations, Internet, nobody frowns

State/Province/Department: Chihuahua (Copper Canyon)
Name: La Estrella del Rio
Address/Directions: 2 blocks uphill from plaza
Cost: $32ish
Date: '06, '07
Comments: owned by the folks at the Restuarante Plaza, go left at the 'T' in town, see the restaurant momma or papa on the right, large rooms, hot agua, fans if needed

Name: Barrancas de Urique
Address/Directions: right at 'T' in town and it's on the left, green building
Cost: $23 downstairs, $28 upstairs
Comments: Restaurant and bar onsite, fans, quasi-a/c

State/Province/Department: Sinaloa
City: El Fuerte
Name: Hotel La Herradura
Address/Directions: SW corner of the zocalo, by the church
Cost: $42ish
Comments: Restaurants nearby, a/c

----------------------------

City: Chinipas
Name: Hotel Centenrio
Address/Directions: main drag, Ave Juarez
Cost: $15
Comments: no hot water, pretty basic, clean, fans, good eats on the street

--------------------

State/Province/Department: Sonora
City: Gomez Farias
Name: Hotel Victoria
Address/Directions: on main N/S drag, west side of highway, just south of highway that runs west to north side of Madera
Cost: $15
Parking: Secure in gated parking
Comments: clean, basic, just fine

Old 12-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #70
Nata Harli OP
Cunning Linguist

Thanks!!!

LR,

Thanks for all the info. I can see what I'll be doing for the next few evenings but that's great info and I'm sure everyone will appreciate it.

Time to open some Glenlivet and get to work this evening.

Nata

Old 12-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #71
Brennan
Food & Bikes

Oddometer: 847
Panama City Contact Info

I posted this on the HUBB earlier this year. I like the format you guys came up with, but, this will have to do as I am running around like a moron trying to be ready to fly out to meet a boat for some chef work.

I will also post this info in Biker friendly hostels and bike shops around the world.

Antonio Cabazas' bike shop. Is located in the financial district in Panama City. I have met a ton of mechanics on this trip of mine through South America. This guy is a superstar for sure. He is soft spoken, speaks English and could turn your bike into a dodge viper if you asked him to. He has a 20 year old son Antonio Jr who is studying to be a mechanical engineer. He also speaks English and can help you find parts throughout the city. Great kid. Both of these guys can talk about cars and bikes for days. Sr. is bordering on genius in my opinion.

Antonio was also the president of the APM (Association of Panamanian Motorcyclists) he took a step down because his lovely wife has breast cancer. If you get a chance to go to a meeting with him you will meet all kinds of amazing people. With these contacts you can find and or do anything in PC. All that I ask is that you be extremely respectful of these people. They were very kind to me.

Contact Info:
N8 59.557 W79 31.292
email for Antonio Cabatony@cableonda.net
I have a track from my GPS but I'm not sure how to upload.
I have Antonio Jr's phone number as well. PM me if you need it.

Casa De Carmen is a great hostel five doors down from Antiono's shop. This hostel has all the amenities for overlanders. In PC there is also Mama Llena Hostel and Voyager Hostel. Both are dumps to be avoided, however, both have comprehensive bulletin boards regarding boat travel to and from Panama and Colombia. It's a long walk or a short cab ride from Casa De Carmen to either of the above hostels, don't bother staying in either one just for boat info. In my opinion the only boat worth taking is here. www.stahlratte.org: Contact This website no longer has Ludwig's (Captain) cell phone number in Panama or Colombia, sorry guys, I don't have it. Berlin is not helpful but they can tell you what country the boat is in at least. For the boats, timing and luck are everything.

Contact Info:
Casa De Carmen
N8 59.603 W79 31.258
Telephone: +507 263 4366

BMW Dealer in Panama. Luis the Chief mechanic is an awesome guy. The three times I was there he never charged me for labor. Don't count on it but he might do the same for you. After reading the moto guest book it looks like that is his MO. Plan on paying to be safe though. Please do not expect not to pay for labor and cause a scene or mention my name. Antonio is a far more accomplished mechanic. Unless you have a warranty I would take your bike to Antonio, he charges very little.

If you need help with English at the BMW dealer ask for Armando in car sales. All these guys love travelers and will be happy to help.

Contact Info:
BMW Panama City - Bavarian Motors
Address: Edificio BMW Calle 50 y 65
N8 59.385 W79 30.715
Luis' work phone +507 301 5400
I have Luis' Cell PM me if you need it.

If you get into a bind while anywhere in Panama get in touch with me. I have numbers and names that might get you out of a bad situation. I am happy to help.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:46 PM   #72
Lone Rider

Try and use the format Nata has on page one.
This will help him a bunch.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #73
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,265
1. State - Baja Sur
2. City - San Ignacio
3. Hotel Name - Hotel Posada (or pretty close to that spelling)
4. Address/directions/coordinates - at the mission in the town square, go left and ride out of the town square. Around 100 yards later where the little white dog with brown spots attacks you, turn right onto the dirt road/alley. When you hit the next pavement, look up and you're there
5. Rating - 2
6. Comments on Location - less than 5 minute walk to the square
7. Rate - cheap, $20 - 25
8. Secure Parking? - sidewalk outside your door
9. Hot water - si
10. AC - doubt it
11. Fans - don't recall
12. Service/Language Spoken - Spanish, nice guy
13. Overall impression - don't take the wife there but good for ADV'ers
14. Date of Visit - 2006, 2007
15. Website of Hotel - ha,ha. good one.
16. URL for your trip report

1. State - Baja Sur
2. City - San Ignacio
3. Hotel Name - San Ignacio Bed and Breakfast (or something like that)
4. Address/directions/coordinates - right on the lagoon
5. Rating - 4, very nice rooms or yurts, beautifully furnished
6. Comments on Location - bit of a walk to anywhere
7. Rate - don't recall exactly but I think $50 (includes breakfast and you can get in for dinner iirc for extra $$$
8. Secure Parking? - right by your yurt
9. Hot water - si
10. AC - don't recall
11. Fans - I think so
12. Service/Language Spoken - English (well, Canadian)
13. Overall impression - do take the wife but each yurt doesn't have a private bath
14. Date of Visit - 2004
15. Website of Hotel - don't know
16. URL for your trip report
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:01 AM   #74
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz
1. ..... Around 100 yards later where the little white dog with brown spots attacks you, turn right ....
Good stuff.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #75
Nata Harli OP
Cunning Linguist

Thanks

Jonz and Brennan,

Thanks for the info. I've got about half of Lone Rider's info entered and will get yours next.

Keep it coming everybody. I'm leaving a month from today for Central America and Mexico and will probably be gone for 2 months and won't have much of a chance to keep this thread updated. The more info I get before that the better.

Nata