User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
CJ5K OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Declaration of intent - multiple trips in the next 2 years

So I'm probably going about this ass-backwards, and jumping into the deep end of the shark tank, but I'm willing to look past that if you guys are. I'm also going to apologize upfront for how long winded this is going to be.

Right now, I don't have a fully baked plan, more just some rough ideas and I'd like to get some feedback from you guys to help me formulate this into a workable plan of action. I want to do at least 3 trips, maybe as many as 6. I'm not going to try and do all of them at once, back to back.... but I am determined to ride down the west coast in August and maybe spending the rainy part of this year in Australia...

Here's a little background about me:I have almost no motorcycle experience.I took the MSF class about a year ago, but declined to get my endorsement because at the time I didn't feel "ready."I'm taking the class again this week.In the past year, I've changed a lot, and grown up.I'm a volunteer firefighter in a resident program, and last night, I was talking to my captain, and he said that I have probably had the most dramatic transformation and growth out of any of the other residents he's ever seen, and I agree with that assessment.
When I was in high school, I had a dream to circumnavigate Afghanistan on a bicycle. I've put that one out to pasture, partly because of the time that it would take, and partly because I've realized there isn't much in Afghanistan that I really want to see and do. So I'm turning my dreams into goals, and setting out to accomplish them. I want to see the world from 2 wheels, and since a bicycle would take a lot of time, I'm thinking motorcycle.

First Disclaimer: Yes, I need to actually pass the basic rider course, get my endorsement, and actually learn to ride the bike. One of the guys I work with has dirt bikes, and he said I'm welcome to come ride with him all the time.

Second Disclaimer: I know I need to actually get a motorcycle. Right now, since I don't have my endorsement, I can't test ride the bikes, so I'm mostly going off of what I can read on here, but my get feeling is pulling me towards a TU250 as my first bike, and should be suitable for learning to ride, daily commuting, having fun, and the first couple domestic trips I want to do. I'm not 100% sure if it will handle the rough stuff I want to do internationally, but I'll be starting another thread on that.

So, provided that I get my endorsement and a bike, here's what I've got so far:

August - take a week or three, ride from Seattle to either Eureka, San Diego, or Baja Sur. final destination will depend on how comfortable I feel about riding through the city traffic south of Eureka, and how off-road worthy my bike is for the trip down Baja Sur.

During the winter (depending on funds) Tour Australia. I have a friend of a friend who will let me stay with him, and he has a land rover I can drive. Since I have a place I could use as a base of operations, I may just buy or rent a cheap DS 250 while I'm down there, and tour around to different parts, instead of doing one long tour and circumnavigating the country.

At that point, I'll probably come back to the US, go back to construction, and start saving up some more cash to be able to ride from Seattle to Tierra Del Fuego. That may require a different bike than what I buy in the near future, but again, that's a thread for a another time.

Fortunately, I have quite a bit of time to re-learn Spanish, learn to ride, save up some $$$ and come up with a real plan of how I'm going to make this all happen.

The biggest part of why I'm posting this is I guess kind of a declaration of intent, a way to turn this into a goal instead of just a dream, but I could really use some input from you guys.

First, how do you guys estimate distance that you can travel in a day? Fatigue isn't as much of an issue in a car, so how do you factor that in? or is it just a matter of learning from past experience?

Second, for longer, one way trips, what do you do with your bike? just sell it? ship it back? trade it for a plane ticket?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions, and post individual threads for specific issues, but really, I just wanted to get it out that I intend to travel, and this seemed like the best place to put it.

Thanks guys,
Chris CJ5k
CJ5K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
froger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Get a bike, learn to ride, do small trips. Worry about big flagship tours after you learn your trade. What you figure out now will probably change what you want to do later.
Never been to Mexico, but I had a bike as a soldier in Panama long ago. Anybody who could afford a car down there drove it however they wanted to. Traffic was spirited, to say the least. Doubt if that's changed much. I was a rookie, and I survived, so it can be done. But I was no doubt lucky, and there was a lot of times it was a good thing my mother couldn't see what I was doing! Good luck.
froger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5K View Post
.... The biggest part of why I'm posting this is I guess kind of a declaration of intent, a way to turn this into a goal instead of just a dream, but I could really use some input from you guys .....
Everyone has dreams. The difference between a dream and a goal is simply a plan. IMO the difference between dreamers and doers is often just a plan. Once you begin to plan, the dream becomes a goal and gets closer and closer to reality until you finally have enough of a plan to achieve your goal. You're on the right track. You'll get lots of good info here. Keep tweaking your plan until it all comes together. Good luck.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
CJ5K OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Thanks guys

I know that was a really convuluted rant, but it was a slow day at the station, and I kind of wanted to just get that out there ASAP.

I am working on the bike/learn to ride part. I picked up a TU250 last night, so far I'm loving it!
CJ5K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5K View Post
Thanks guys

I know that was a really convuluted rant, but it was a slow day at the station, and I kind of wanted to just get that out there ASAP.

I am working on the bike/learn to ride part. I picked up a TU250 last night, so far I'm loving it!

The TUx is a great little bike. Come join us over at The TU250 riders' forum. Lots and lots of info over there, and it's a nice crowd.

The TUx thread in Thumpers also has plenty of great stuff in it.

And finally, for a look at doing things that you shouldn't be able to do on a 250, have a look at the reports in my sigline, and also at Mikey's cross country trip currently in progress.
Prettyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
froger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Didn't know they made the things, but it looks like a damn good rookie bike to me. Now figgure out how to strap a weekends camping gear on it.
Don't worry about the low horsepower. It's nimble and forgiving, that's what you need now. Try to be smooth on the control's.
froger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by froger View Post
Didn't know they made the things, but it looks like a damn good rookie bike to me. Now figgure out how to strap a weekends camping gear on it.
Don't worry about the low horsepower. It's nimble and forgiving, that's what you need now. Try to be smooth on the control's.
cycleracks makes a great rack, as does manracks, or you can put the supports from some harley or another for soft saddlebags. The go to duffel bungee strapped to the passenger seat works great too.
Prettyboy is online now   Reply With Quote