User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
Kray OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Gear security while motocamping

Simple topic: How do you fine folks keep your gear secure while motocamping? I'll be going on my first real motocamping trip in October and don't want to screw it up by having my new gear stolen. Without a locking vehicle, I'm not sure how to go about mitigating the likelihood of someone stealing our gear and ruining our trip. Maybe I'm pessimistic or too OCD but I know this is a real concern. Any pro-tips are welcome!
Kray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,078
Can either put it in the luggage of the now removed camping gear, or put it in the tent. My gear often finds itself hanging off the bike while I'm around the campsite if dry out.
Other than that, it's in the tent or hammock.

There are hundreds of ride reports here and thousands of days camping. can't say I've read or heard anybody getting gear stolen while camping.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Ravedigger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I just purchased some hard cases for my bike that have locks and are locked to the bike. It's nice because I can leave anything that I don't want stolen in the cases and I don't have to worry about it.

Before I bought these, I was using soft luggage that was just strapped to the bike. In that situation, any time I wanted to go into a store or restaurant, I would park the bike somewhere that I could see it. Camping gear is expensive, so I tend to be a bit paranoid about it.

When I'm riding with my girlfriend, usually we would take turns going into the gas station bathroom so that one of us could stay with the bike.
Ravedigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,065
Tip 1: Don't camp in urban areas.
Tip 2: Camp next to people with nicer gear than yours

I have never worried, most people are pretty honest, especially in rural areas. And most watch out for each other.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,989
What gear you talking about? Camp gear, riding gear, electronics? Generally rural campsites aren't a prob. Stuff like laptops, GPS etc, take'm with you. You're more likely to get ripped off in town while having lunch. My general rule is don't pack anything you can't afford to replace. Yup you guessed it I don't carry a laptop on a MC trip. That's the kind of stuff I'm trying to get away from.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
TEWSTER2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post

I have never worried, most people are pretty honest, especially in rural areas. And most watch out for each other.
Nice tips!
TEWSTER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post

+1

If you get a chance, say hi to your neighbours at the campsite so they know you.

I tend to worry more about the daytimes than the nights (when my gear's in the tent with me). I used to have hard panniers that were lockable and locked to the bike so that was dead easy, now I've got soft luggage. To me that means that, unless I'm 100% confident, the bike'll be in sight all the time at lunch stops etc.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,065
Forgot one.

Tip 3: Get a fake Hells Angles biker vest and hang it on a tree next to the tent
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
The biggest tip I can suggest is to make good use a rain cover... if it's all out of sight it's out of mind. When wild camping I have used a small disc alarm lock like a Xena or Oxford and a cable from the bike to my duffel bag, which is in the tent vestibule, so if someone tries to wheel the bike off in the night I have the alarm and the duffel bag being dragged out of the tent to alert me.

But I've never had a problem when wild camping. I tend to think security is more a state of mind - if I'm in doubt I will move on. Take sensible precautions but try bot to let it consume you. Paranoia can get the best of us and I quickly learnt that the sooner I dropped the paranoia the sooner I began to enjoy wild camping. Keep it simple.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #10
thecivvie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I was thinking along the same lines. Tie some paracord to the bike and into the tent and an audible alarm or two. I used to get paranoid and as soon as I got over it i slept like a baby
thecivvie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
Orcinusorca
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Did anyone ever had something stolen, or worse, their bike stolen during a motorcycle trip?

I know my brother got his boots stolen one night, but that was in South America some twenty years ago. Rode to town in flip-flops, bought a new pair.

Really, if you don't carry expensive gear with a "steal me" sign, why worry? Keep it convenient, affordable, replaceable. You can lose it in on the trail or forget it at the camp ground anyway. Move on.

I know it's not just the gear, but also your own security... So a thief is dragging your bike away, along with the duffle bag and the tent attached to it. What now? Fist fight?

I say he can have it. I'll walk to town in flip-flops and buy a new one.

(And write home postcards about why my adventures are so awesome! Instead of laying in the ditch covered in blood with broken ribs...)
Orcinusorca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,008
Empty Holster

I like to think a thief will see the empty holster and think twice. I also run a cable thru my stuff with a lock to the bike. But my bike doesn't have a key, so I only have the disc lock. If they want it they will throw it in the back of their truck and have it all. Insurance.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
I had my tent, sleeping bag, and jacket stolen while camping in a state park in Virginia. The people camped beside us said they saw nothing. I had ridden in to DC to see the sights. I did find them, though. Idiots stayed in the same park. I guess they thought I wouldn't come looking.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #14
Orcinusorca
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
I had my tent, sleeping bag, and jacket stolen while camping in a state park in Virginia. The people camped beside us said they saw nothing. I had ridden in to DC to see the sights. I did find them, though. Idiots stayed in the same park. I guess they thought I wouldn't come looking.

Then what happened?
Orcinusorca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:12 AM   #15
AwesomeUsername
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcinusorca View Post
Then what happened?
Don't leave us hanging!
AwesomeUsername is offline   Reply With Quote