User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
eatalotapeaches OP
finding my own way

Oddometer: 1,461
fly-n-ride: where to put my helmet

I'm sure the question has been discussed, but my search was fruitless. I am doing a fly and ride in 3 days. I will be camping on the return trip. I have duffle bag packed with all my gear. Where do I put my helmet during the flight. I don't really trust the numb skulls in baggage handling and the security guys to not man handle or drop my helmet. I'm not real sure of a good solution for taking it with carry on either. What are some suggestions?

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8
eatalotapeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:57 AM   #2
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Check your duffle bag and take the lid as carry on. Speak nicely with the flight attendant, explaining how fragile it is and they'll probably let you keep it under the seat, or take it from you and stow it somewhere safe. If they make you stick it in the overhead, cover it with your jacket/fleece/jumper and it'll probably be fine.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
Rabbitson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Helmets are usually ok as carry on in my experience.
Rabbitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
LeftCoastMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatalotapeaches
I'm sure the question has been discussed, but my search was fruitless. I am doing a fly and ride in 3 days. I will be camping on the return trip. I have duffle bag packed with all my gear. Where do I put my helmet during the flight. I don't really trust the numb skulls in baggage handling and the security guys to not man handle or drop my helmet. I'm not real sure of a good solution for taking it with carry on either. What are some suggestions?
I've seen a few really nice helmet bags at places like Aerostich. You don't want your nice lid getting beat up or damaged. I got one many years ago with my Shoei (they don't do this anymore), and use it to carry my helmet. I did it once on a plane when I went to Europe for a tour of the UK (will never do that again, the driving on the wrong side of the road freaked me out, but that's another story).

By the way, if you're going to say "I love you" in French, I'd use j'taime, which is the familiar way of saying it. The way you have it written is very formal, and if you were in a formal situation, you wouldn't say "I love you."
Old 07-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
BluegrassPicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatalotapeaches
I've done both. Your riding gear wrapped around your helmet in the duffle works pretty good to protect it.
Also did carry on, but it was tight on the first leg which was a puddle jumper. They did not make an issue out of it, but it was really between my feet as it wouldn't fit under the seat in front of me.
BluegrassPicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
eatalotapeaches OP
finding my own way

Oddometer: 1,461
I'm flying Delta. The web says I get a carry on and a personal item (sized like purse, camera bag, laptop case) Do you think I can carry a backpack plus my helmet in its thin satchel?

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8
eatalotapeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Number8teen
Uncompetent

Oddometer: 10,066
I flew delta for a fly and ride. Brought a backpack big enough to fit the helmet and wore most of the gear. Helmet fit into the overhead (barely) on the first puddle jumper. I didn't really pack any changes of clothes. You can always buy extraneous stuff like that on the way at walmart for 3 dollars. I'd just bring/wear the gear and ID.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,527
I have done 3 Fly and Rides. I purchased a quality helmet bag and brought the helmet on the plane as a carry on.
Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Every time I've flown I have never had a problem taking my helmet at a carry on. (all international)

Last trip to Colombia, I took a backpack (clothes, etc), duffel bag (gear), and helmet - all as a carry on and no one complained.

Instead of asking if you can take something, just keep a low profile and do it. So far, no one has ever complained and if they do, I will just check in my duffel bag with gear. No biggie.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
mcbikerider
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Try wearing the helmet on your head. I'm sure airport security won't notice as they are spending all their energy on finding those tiny shampo bottles.

Anyway, my experience with guitars is that it is never a problem to carry them onboard as hand luggage as long as you don't ask for permission during check-in. Therefore, just do it.
mcbikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
balloonman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Thumb Bag it

Go to the thrift store and purchase a bolling ball bag or hard case picnic basket to hide your helmit in. Tell people your a pro boller. Captain Tom
balloonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
fatboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
I guess I mistreat my gear and would simply stuff it in the duffle bag. It its too delicate to make the trip in your bag then you should consider that it may not be offering you much in the way of protection. Stuff it in the duffle bag. As far as carry on ... folks cary all sorts of things onto planes ... and I wouldn't think twice about a helmet.
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy
I guess I mistreat my gear and would simply stuff it in the duffle bag. It its too delicate to make the trip in your bag then you should consider that it may not be offering you much in the way of protection. Stuff it in the duffle bag. As far as carry on ... folks cary all sorts of things onto planes ... and I wouldn't think twice about a helmet.
This is not a conversation about gear. This is a conversation about helmets only. Helmets are pretty fragile and meant for one fall only, at which point they are supposed to be xrayed to see if the inner shell is still in tact. You never know how much your duffel bag has been thrown around and if your helmet is still worth anything. Carry on is the way to go.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
I always carry my helmet on, I usually put it in a helmet bag - the new Bell helmet bags are awesome for this

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #15
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,340
You could always wear it? Just say to the security guy..."I am your father..."
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote