User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #61
Bitt
Wanderlusting

Oddometer: 691
WA state - North Cascades hwy 20 camp option

This is a really nice (easy) dual sport camp for those heading over the North Cascades Scenic Highway - hwy 20.

Mineral Park Campground

Their info:
Mineral Park Creek Campground is located along the Cascade River Road (Forest Service Road #15) east of the town of Marblemount approximately 8 miles from State Route 20.
The campground is situated near the confluence of the North and South Forks of the Cascade River. The Campground is divided into two sections, Mineral Park East has 7 tent/trailer sites and one picnic site of which 5 can be reserved and Mineral Park West has 14 tent/trailer sites of which 7 can be reserved . The remainder is available on a first-come-first-served basis. There are vault toilets and garbage bins. Bring your own water or filter the river water.
Directions: Take the State Route 20 exit off of Interstate 5 and travel east approximately 46.5 miles to near milepost 106. Turn right onto the Cascade River Road (gravel Forest Service Road #15). Continue on the Cascade River Road for approximately 15 miles and turn right following the signs to the East and West sections of the campground.
Bitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #62
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,505
Free waterfront Natchez Trace camping

Just south of the HWY 43 exit (Near Ridgeland, MS) on the Trace there is a dirt road leading about 100yds or so to the Ross Barnett Reservoir. There is a trash can and sometimes left over wood from previous campers but nothing else.

Near mile marker 115 on the Natchez Trace
http://www.nps.gov/PWR/customcf/apps/maps/mini-band.gif
Old 07-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #63
crazymactech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Cycle Moore campground. Interlochen, MI About 2 miles west of Interlochen on US-31 on the south side of the road. http://www.cycle-moore.com A campground run by long time bikers behind their motorcycle service/sales business. $6 per person per night if you come with a bike. Heated showers, restrooms, firewood for sale, fire rings, picnic tables, large pavilion. Most customers are bikers and everybody keeps the noise down at night (otherwise Shirley, THE BOSS, would kick them out). Great campground.
crazymactech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:16 AM   #64
Alleydude
You killed Kenny!

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymactech
Cycle Moore campground. Interlochen, MI About 2 miles west of Interlochen on US-31 on the south side of the road. http://www.cycle-moore.com A campground run by long time bikers behind their motorcycle service/sales business. $6 per person per night if you come with a bike. Heated showers, restrooms, firewood for sale, fire rings, picnic tables, large pavilion. Most customers are bikers and everybody keeps the noise down at night (otherwise Shirley, THE BOSS, would kick them out). Great campground.
I second that. Cycle-Moore is THE place for riders of ALL brands.

1977 XLH (My Near Life Experience)
1969 Harley Sprint
1967 Honda CL90

HDSprint.com Dedicated to the small displacement Harleys!
Alleydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #65
Twistn'roads
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Willville Motorcycle Campground

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but I stayed here on a recent trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway:

Willville Motorcycle Campground
Route 58 (1510 Jeb Stuart Highway)
Meadows of Dan, VA
(276) 952-CAMP

http://willvillebikecamp.com/

GPS coords: N36 44 02.0 W80 25 36.8

The campground has all the amenities and is quite clean and well maintained. Cost me $15 as I was solo. The owner, Will, is a great guy and Strom rider too! Heck, he'll even make you a sausage & egg biscuit in the morning!

Steve

Twistn'roads screwed with this post 08-05-2008 at 04:13 PM Reason: added GPS coords
Twistn'roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #66
mccolo
Anything but n00b

Oddometer: 47
Campgrounds in Colorado

I've scoped out a lot of motorcycle-accessible campgrounds around Colorado and listed them on my website. The site is aimed more at street bikes so for Adventure Riders there are others not on my list that would be more than accessible.

Here's the main page for what I've got:
www.motorcyclecolorado.com/camping.htm
mccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #67
CassiarHwy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Campsite extraordinaire......the Best

look at the website then decide......
www.patzenfeld.com
or
www.caravanparksexten.it

Stunning location and open year-round, amazing considering the snow in Winter.

You cannot imagine ariving at this place by accident. Pitched the tent and went looking for the showers only to find their DaySpa, pool area and then amazing showers, great toilet facilities and then restaurants, bars and live music.

Really sorry that I couldn't stay longer!
CassiarHwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #68
AJB1
Retired

Oddometer: 48
Campsite list on Google Map

Started this just before I headed to the MOA National in Gillette.

View Camping Sites in a larger map

"Life's tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid."
--John Wayne

AJB1 screwed with this post 04-29-2009 at 10:41 AM
AJB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #69
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,736
Colton Point State Park, PA

Camped overnight here on a cross country ride. It was mid week and very quiet (I hate noisy campgrounds). Rustic camping, great views. I think it was $14 per night for out-of state residents, PA residents are a couple $ cheaper.

Located at: 41.70729, -77.46644

Help support my racing addiction and look cool doing it! Buy a T-shirt or hat from the Dakar Dream Store
drc42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #70
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,736
Looks like AJB1 and I had the same sort of idea! I started this a couple of weeks ago but just finished it now. I plan on adding some more functionality to the page such as an option to download the data as a POI file that could be loaded into a GPS, hope to have that implemented in a few days. For now it is jus the map, you can mouse over one of the markers and get to the original advrider.com link to the posting.

I would be happy to hear any feedback people have on the page.

http://www.linuxdudes.org/campgrounds/

thanks!

- Doug
Help support my racing addiction and look cool doing it! Buy a T-shirt or hat from the Dakar Dream Store
drc42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #71
rhodyne
Vang Oormlikoowl

Oddometer: 41
Been reading the site for a while. Joined so I could post this.
Wanted my first post to mean something.

1) Colorado / near Creede / Rio Grande National Forest
2) Lat. 37.723 Lon. -107.259 Elev. 9300ft
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour....723,+-107.259
3) Thirtymile Campground (busy but my favorite) $16 a day
4) Tables, grills, water, vault toilets. No showers, no electric.

We have stayed at this campground three times in the last 10 years and thoroughly enjoyed each time. They have some choice sites for reservation but we've never done it, or needed to. We did have a burn ban once, so no campfires that time.

The Rio Grande Reservoir is half a mile away. Hiking, fishing, kayaking, whatever primitive area things you can think of are there or near.

You'll want be careful about 10 miles out from Hwy 149 on the way there. You top a small ridge and make a hard right at the same time. If you are moving too fast you get to enjoy a +300ft elevator ride down - sans elevator. My first time there I was moving along at a good clip playing the "I'm a real man" card and just about had the "stupid" part added for me post mortem. The view is breathtaking by any standard.

The access road (Forest Road 520) continues into the mountains past the campground, turns into a track/trail then picks up on the other side of Canby Mountain and goes into Silverton from the east. 20 miles and +4 hours later. And there was snow by the road in late July.

Anyone planning on staying at any of the populated campgrounds, avoid wearing red headgear unless you want to walk the campground ducking all the time. There is a large transient population of hummingbirds that are not really afraid of people. And we all know that high speed and no fear leads to problems. I've never heard of anyone getting hit but geez do they come close at speed.

Three things the whole area has going for it is:
a) Plenty of alternative campgrounds if this one is full or not near where you want to be - http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/riogrande/re...us/index.shtml
b) "Dispersed Camping". Most of the Rio Grande Forest is open to 'free' camping as long as you follow some simple rules like 100ft off the road, 14 day max in one spot, and take your trash with you - http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/camping/
c) Trails, trails, trails. They are all over the place - http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/riogrande/re...vumindex.shtml

You can find work logs at my web home.

rhodyne screwed with this post 05-18-2009 at 08:10 PM
rhodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #72
2wheelRN
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Kentucky camping

Planning an overnighter around the Lincoln boyhood home in KY. Somebody got some suggestions on where to pitch a tent around there?
2wheelRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #73
motocentric
n00b

Oddometer: 6
CA campsites

CAMBRIA - (just south of Big Sur)

San Simeon State Campground, 12 per night primative. Good firewood for ten bucks by the wheelbarrel, nice old man chopping and selling it. Our campsite was primitive, but there are better available. I snuck into the lower camp's shower's, no problem.

The setting is coastal plain. Climateable.

MOJAVE - Red Rock Canyon (I think national reserve???)

National Campground, 13 per night primative. No firewood available when I was there. Amazingly beautiful. Gusty, but doesn't feel like much when you've just ridden through Mojave.

RAYMOND - (east of Yosemite, in the valley)

Army Corp Engineers Campground, 16 per night. Really nice people. These ACE campgrounds are kind of geared towards families and motorhomes, but it is still my favorite spot. The landscaping was beautiful, natural and we didn't have to look at anyone else's tent or base, which was nice. Generators were off promptly and the bathrooms were nice, too. Picnic tables, shelters, lantern hooks and flat manicured spaces are provided, too.

Another SUPERPLUS of this site was the weather/ride. It was snowing in Yosemite and BFcold just outside. But about 25minutes away, down in this valley (which took a BEAUTIFUL tight twisty road to get there) it was sixty.

Also, grab a bite in the town of Raymond - one establishment serves as bar, diner and general store.

Lastly, there are NO SIGNS to this campground, so ask for directions in Raymond.
motocentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #74
rjzinc
The World is My Home

Oddometer: 133
Blue Earth, MN 2 nights free camping

If this doesn't fit in here please disregard.

At Blue Earth, Minnesota, Fairibault County Faitgrounds, off I-90, they have campimg available for 2 nights free with water, showers, flush toilets, some electric hookups. NAPA dealer, good food, gas in town. If you stay more than 2 nights they are asking for $5.00 a night after 2 nights.

I found this spot while moto camping from Wisconsin to Yellowstone, NP. Stopped in to find out why they named the town "Blue Earth". Then on the way back I overnighted here.
rjzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #75
LunchBucket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Free South Carolina NF Campground

Honey Hill NF Campground, 8 Mi northwest of McClellanville, SC on Hwy 45
(on northwestern boundary of Francis Marion National Forest, N 33.174518 W 79.561697).
Primitive but well kept,
7-10 campsites (sparse grass on some)
Hand-pump water,
Newer vault toilet,
Aging concrete picnic tables,
Grills,
Lantern post.
Old fire lookout tower no longer in use.
Unattended, but a NF employee/ranger appears to do random checks.

Only one other camper there the mid July 2009 weekend I camped (local guy), but web search hints it gets busier during hunting season. Only downside is colony of noisy/theiv'n resident cats (feral?/free-range?). And know your local critters, the other camper showed me a small copperhead he found slithering around.

Closest nearby campground with facilities (showers) appears to be Buck Hall on Intercoastal Waterway (hear tell that CG is about $18 per night).

Approx distance to:
– McClellanville diner 9 mi (small homey old fashioned roadside eatery, great food).
– Buck Hall CG 16 mi,
– Georgetown 30 mi,
– Charleston 47 mi,
– Myrtle Beach 68 mi,

Sorry, forgot to take pics . . . search the web and you'll find a few.

LunchBucket screwed with this post 07-13-2009 at 05:43 PM
LunchBucket is offline   Reply With Quote