Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #46
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by xroad
I was seriousely considering this Miline Melbourne jacket. Decided against it. There are lots of little things that are important in order for it to be a true motorcycle jacket. There are plenty of motorcycle STYLE jackets but they are NOT motorcycle jackets. Issues like strong zippers, bi-directional zippers, vents, armors, double and triple stitching at the seams, where the primary failure occurs, tight closures at the cuff so your arm do not slide out into the pavement when you make contact. The only way you get all those considerations is to buy a brand that makes real track suits. Even then, many of those brands also makes jackets that have a less strict spec than their track suits. Thickness of leather is not everything, although I put that at a very high priority just because it makes me phychologicaly more comfortable. Many race suits have thinner gauge leathers to reduce weight. Stitiching is the top priority. As nice and tempting as the Melbourn, there are a few issues to address.
Um ... the Miline has it's limitations - specifically vents (I got my g/f a leather kili so I have put the two side by side) - but I would trust it over a smiliarly priced $250 range jacket that you can get from a local stealership - JR, fieldsheer, etc... It's leather is thick and unlike allot of other jackets that are more for show - it's actually got armor...

It's not quite the jacket I would wear xcross country as the leather Kili appears to be - but for day rides, local commuting, and durabliliy it's a good deal....

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #47
jashui
n00b

Oddometer: 4
went down on the jacket

okay, was making a left turn on a green arrow on saturday 10/18/08. a car going the opposite direction decided to make a right on a red light, directly in front of me with only 2-3 feet to spear. since i was already leaning into the turn, i had no choice but to squeeze my brakes and avoid impact. i landed on my left side and my left boot got stuck under my bike. As usual, everyone honked because i was in the way, once they drove around me, they all drove off. no one stopped to help me lift the bike off my leg. but fortunately one did, and it's not anyone I was blocking, it was someone on the opposite side of the road.

anyway, after the accident, i didn't notice any problems except for a springed ankle and a bit of a burn on my left knee, the kevlar jeans did the job. what i didn't immediately notice was my left arm and shoulders. i scrapped up the left sleeve and shoulders pretty bad and didn't even noticed anything on my body. It did a great job in protecting me from more trauma. the stitches held up to the short slide as well as the leather.

lucky for me the other driver stopped even though i didn't run into him. great person, just needed to be more aware. accidents happen. the officer at the scene took a fast look and asked a few questions and said it would be almost 100% my fault for dropping my own bike. i told her that the alternative was to go over his hood, but she would not budge. i suspect she was lazy and would not help my case, so i told her not to make the report. some people just have no common sense and shouldn't be wearing a badge.

anyway, the jacket was great and wouldn't hesitate in buying another one.
jashui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #48
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashui
okay, was making a left turn on a green arrow on saturday 10/18/08. a car going the opposite direction decided to make a right on a red light, directly in front of me with only 2-3 feet to spear. since i was already leaning into the turn, i had no choice but to squeeze my brakes and avoid impact. i landed on my left side and my left boot got stuck under my bike. As usual, everyone honked because i was in the way, once they drove around me, they all drove off. no one stopped to help me lift the bike off my leg. but fortunately one did, and it's not anyone I was blocking, it was someone on the opposite side of the road.

anyway, after the accident, i didn't notice any problems except for a springed ankle and a bit of a burn on my left knee, the kevlar jeans did the job. what i didn't immediately notice was my left arm and shoulders. i scrapped up the left sleeve and shoulders pretty bad and didn't even noticed anything on my body. It did a great job in protecting me from more trauma. the stitches held up to the short slide as well as the leather.

lucky for me the other driver stopped even though i didn't run into him. great person, just needed to be more aware. accidents happen. the officer at the scene took a fast look and asked a few questions and said it would be almost 100% my fault for dropping my own bike. i told her that the alternative was to go over his hood, but she would not budge. i suspect she was lazy and would not help my case, so i told her not to make the report. some people just have no common sense and shouldn't be wearing a badge.

anyway, the jacket was great and wouldn't hesitate in buying another one.
Sorry you went down :(
Glad the jacket held up :)
I would check and see if there is a camera... If you had to avoid a car that was moving in a illegal fashion I wouldn't think you insurance will ding you too bad - but it would have been nice the LEO had seen it better...

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 AM   #49
Muggins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
http://www.usmadeleathers.com/index.html

This website is retro-entertaining at the very least

I stopped in hear two weeks ago when I rented a Goldwing to ride through New Hampshire & Vermont. Their stuff is much higher quality than their website. TONS of jackets, brown, black, all styles on CRAZY sale prices in the store.

I picked up a sport-length brown leather jacket (but not too short, good for touring riding position). I'll try to post some picks in the next few days. Nice thick leather, but is very soft/broken in feeling. Slightly worn in look. Has the flap-type shoulder for better flexibility, double leather on elbows and shoulders, strap collar (nice and roomy), chest and back vents, sturdy mesh lining and came with a thermal button in vest. Fit and function was great on the ride (bout 1000 miles) which was suprising for a new, heavy coat. No loose stitches, vents worked well.

Best part - I bought this on sale with a pair of bad-ass Chippewa work boots for about $275 (jacket was $199 on sale from about $350 or so). So far, I would recommend their jackets to everyone, especially if one of the many on the sale rack fits.

They had plenty of other styles (some 3/4 length) and do custom fitting as well. PLUS, all the buttons say USA with a flag logo! They are gonna love that in London
Muggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:27 AM   #50
natefalls
Stunt Cock

Oddometer: 102
Miline Melbourne first impressions:

For comparison, I'm using my old standby, which is a Cortech Coaster with the stupid collar chopped off, which is a has served me faithfully for some years now, but has some drawbacks which prompted the purchase of this 3/4 length Melbourne.

First impression: not as heavy-duty as the Cortech was. The Cortech had all-metal zippers, where the Melbourne has plastic. Zipper's no big deal, I guess, as long as it holds up okay. It feels like it weighs half what the Coaster does, and if anyone wants, I'll go ahead and weigh them to verify.

Looks are, of course, subjective:

Sizing: I wear a 42 long jacket, and the sizing chart suggested I order a 46, and when zipped up, it feels about right. Arms are actually about an inch longer than I'd like, which is surprising since most jackets don't fit my long-ass arms. Plenty of room inside the arms, in case I happened to be a bodybuilder or something. Should have snap adjusters on the inside of the elbow to keep the armor in the right place during an impact, but doesn't.

It has a slightly annoying sheen to it, which give it sort of a lame hey, I just picked up this sweet trenchcoat from the mall discount leather store, isn't it badass? sort of feel, but I suspect I'll change my mind after I break it in with some weather and dirt.

Armor:lame.
My Cortech has spine armor like this, some nice quality rubbery foam with a nice solid core inside:

The Melbourne has this:

I'm not gonna mince words here, that "ce rated spine armor" is some cheap gay cardboardy bullshit, and the shoulder and elbow "armor" is, accordingly, about half as solid-feeling as the stuff in the Cortech jacket. I'm going to swap in some armor from one of my other jackets asap, and have my sister sew a new spine pocket so I can put in something that looks like it can handle more than a hearty backslap.
Advantage: Cortech, by a fuckin' mile.

Just noticed: Main zipper pull (which is on the opposite side than where you'd expect it to be) is some cheap shitty rubber, and it's already about to fall apart. Call it a nitpick, but that zipper pull will be gone in a week, and I'll have to replace it with something if I don't want putting it on and taking it off to be a pain in the ass. Verdict: gay.

Cold weather: Liner is "full-length", ends a few inches short of the end of each sleeve. Substantially thicker than the liner in my Cortech jacket. There's a wind flap behind the main (only) zipper, which the Cortech tragically lacked, letting cold air in all the time, so the Melbourne might have the warmth advantage. The sleeve opening is big. Too big for any of my glove gauntlets to fit over, even with the snap adjuster, and fitting the gauntlets inside the sleeve is awkward and guarantees there's gonna be some cold air coming in through there. I'll give a second impression after a good cold ride. No venting at all, which will be good in the cold and bad in everything else, since I live in SoCal. Collar is high, as you can see. Really, really high. Reaches all the way to the helmet, has some fuzzy stuff on the edge, so shouldn't be too annoying against my neck. Can fold down if length feels excessive.

Pockets: the 4 outer pockets with rubbered snaps hold about as much stuff as you'd think they would. The description's "2 inner pockets" is horseshit. There's one inner pocket that you can use with the liner in, and one inner pocket that you can use when you pull the liner out, so at any given moment, for all intents and purposes, you have one inner pocket on the left that's exactly big enough to tightly hold a standard-sized DVD case with 1.5" sticking out the top.

Verdict: Might be good, but doesn't feel like a $250 jacket. My Coaster was $200, and feels like a lot more jacket for the price, with regard to stitching quality (also, the thread is clearly thinner than the thread in the Cortech jacket) and armor. The listed "retail price" of $450 would be absolutely unacceptable, if anyone was actually selling it for that much, which they're not. I'm going to give it a chance, though, and update on its cold weather performance.

natefalls screwed with this post 03-01-2009 at 02:52 AM
natefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #51
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,554
I want this jacket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtum
Do you guys not get the Hein Gericke TFL Cool Leather Jacket in the US?

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/shop/p...oducts_id/2875
This is exactly the kind of jacket I want...of course it's not available here in the USA! I wonder how much shipping would be
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #52
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Thanks for the review.

They advertized 1.5 to 1.7mm thick leather. I was surprised to hear that it feels lighter than your old shorter jacket. Probably a marketing spin thing. Check the low quality leather with inconsistent thickness for the maxium thickness and make the 1.7mm claim.

The cuff was one of my many concerns. Having seen my friend's injury after his crash ... bottom side of his forearm all scraped up because his arm slide out of the sleeve after the leather jacket made contact with the ground. So, ya gotta have tight zipped up sleeve cuffs.

I think it looks great on you. Too bad everything else turned out to be disappointing.

I wear the same size, 42L. Most jackets do not come in regular or long. Most cases, I have to go with 44 regular to get the torso and sleeve long enough but end up with too much room in the torso and sleeves. What size is your Cortech Coaster?
Old 03-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #53
natefalls
Stunt Cock

The Coaster is a 42, fits just like a 42 should, generally. A little more room around the waist/belly than I need, but the waist adjusters make it pretty doable.

I'm going to weigh this thing to be sure it's as light as I think. It's possible that a lot of the weight difference is from the Coaster's extensive use of solid metal zippers (they're well-hidden, but there are a shitload of metal zippers on this thing [Melbourne zipper count: 1, plastic]), and maybe some of the crap I carry in the pockets.

edit: Okay, with all of my tools, condoms, etc out of the pockets, the coaster weighs 6 lbs, and the Melbourne weighs maybe a smidge more than 5. Bear in mind I'm using an analog bathroom scale here, with me on it, so your mileage may vary. Turns out I underestimated the weight of my wallet and multi-tool (and condoms. hah!) a little.

edit 2: Your mileage may vary on the sleeve thing. I have some tiny wrists, for some reason, and even so, the sleeve would take some effort to really get it to slide up and expose any real amount of forearm. I'm going to install a third male snap in the wrist, and that might be just right to make it fit my girly wrists.

natefalls screwed with this post 03-01-2009 at 03:39 PM
Old 03-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #54
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
The large cuff is the primary issue with the Fox Creek jacket I returned. Judgeing from the circumference for the Fox Creek sleeve, It was designed for a no neck UFC cage fighter with wrist as thick as my thigh. There is no way of modifying it. Fox Creek was not interested in doing a custom mod.

Fox Creek no doubt is a cut above in quality. For the price I paid, I was expecting close to perfection. The thick leather panels requires some heavy duty stitching, especially where one panel corner meets another panel corner. Lots of stress at that spot. I can see stitchings coming loose from the new jacket. I guess that is why those old school jackets have rivets. Also, the fat strip of leather across the upper arms, chest and back was not as thick as the rest of the jacket. Hey, if I am to crash, that is the spot where I'll land. I know many people are happy with their Fox Creek. Maybe I just got lucky and got one with issues. It is a problem with many "old school" jacket makers. They can't seems to move forward a bit and make some small adjustments to their design to meet current needs.

xroad screwed with this post 03-02-2009 at 03:13 PM
xroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:34 AM   #55
klavdy
Truth Is Eternal

Oddometer: 888
Just bought the Miline, jeez, they are BIG!
Size chart said I'd take a 54,bloody hell, it's huge.
I'll have to return it, so, report coming then.

The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the govt is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.
klavdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #56
natefalls
Stunt Cock

Quote:
Originally Posted by klavdy
Just bought the Miline, jeez, they are BIG!
Size chart said I'd take a 54,bloody hell, it's huge.
I'll have to return it, so, report coming then.
Yeah, the sizing chart is horseshit. I would return mine for one that's a size smaller if I hadn't already had it for like, 2 months. Anyone want one of these things that's broken-in and fits like a size 44?

My concerns about the armor and stitching notwithstanding, it's actually been a good cold(socal)-weather jacket and I keep getting positive comments on it, despite it being clearly too big for me, so I'm thinking about getting another one in the right size.

edit: fuck me, they changed the sizing chart, so NOW they admit I should have ordered a 44 instead of a 46. Lame.

natefalls screwed with this post 05-13-2009 at 07:58 PM
Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #57
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,340
I just ordered mine..planning on adding proper armor and sewing in some vents on the arms, front and back..I'll keep you tuned..

looks like a great jacket for the price...just needs a little farkling
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:20 PM   #58
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,340
Ok..got mine..took a file,alcohol and some sandpaper to it and threw it in the dryer for a while with a pair of work boots on fluff..to lower the sheen..Nice Jacket..
Price for vents (front sides, back and double lock zipper on the sleaves from the pit to the hand) is going to be like 150.00..Armor from Knox is 79.00 so I'll have 220 for the jacket..and that totals 440...still way cheaper than anything like it..I'll post some pics as I go..but the leather lady won't be able to tackle the zippers til mid to late August..
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #59
ginslung
It'll take.

Oddometer: 217
pleased with a Teton

My two cents on the 3/4 leather jacket...natefalls did a great review of the Miline and I was close to pulling the trigger but freaked out about sitting in traffic with no vents cooking.

Was a little afraid that my temp gauge with hit the same level as my KLR and we'd both wind up whimpering and hissing in the shade under an overpass.

I bought a Vanson Teton 4 months ago and despite the punch-in-the-back-of-the-neck price of it, I have to say it's a nice jacket. Lots of venting and as long as I'm moving even a little bit all is right in the world.

It's heavy, well designed and the large fits a goofy tall guy like me (6'3, 190lbs) as well as anything I could hope for. Not sure how much the armor would do, but I'd wage the leather holds up to just about any abuse. I think it will really shine in the fall and winter with a light coat underneath.

Anywho, YMMV...and since I ride an 87 KLR on the freeway everyday my judgement may not be all that good. Just wanted to give props to Vanson for looking out for men and women out there in search of a good 3/4 length leather coat that was made for riding.
ginslung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #60
krehmkej
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Hein Gericke Dakar?

Are these still available? Tough as hell. Mine has lasted forever and survived a high-speed getoff in Germany,

krehmkej screwed with this post 08-19-2009 at 06:45 PM
krehmkej is offline   Reply With Quote