Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #76
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRoadRash
I'll second that. Why the hell is it so hard to find brown leather jackets with proper armor and decent features?
Okay it's not 3/4 length, but the new FirstGear Scout does come in brown, tall lengths and a butt load of features (neck warmer, dual zippers, cargo pockets, etc) to make it useful beyond the styling queue. Vids here.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:29 AM   #77
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,132
I just picked up one of these Belstaffs. Quality seems very nice.

ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #78
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondahawkrider
Still on the sale - just checked ... For $200 buck - I think I am going to get another one and take it to have some zippers put in for vents...
I went and did get another one... This time I got one in black as my other is the vintage...

To be honest, the black one seems to be a bit better quality of leather and it has a smaller zipper.. Not the big blocky plastic one (the zipper is still on the other side)...

I am going to keep one for what I got the vintage one for... Basically, to and from work and somewhat spirited street riding.. I do have a two piece leather for serious stuff... The idea to be an all purpose leather jacket.. My only issue with it is that it's great in the spring and fall, its just the fact that it doesn't have vents makes it a bit hot in the summer...

I m probably going to get the black one altered - but I would be curious to know what kind of armor folks have put in theirs..

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #79
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by scodill
I just picked up one of these Belstaffs. Quality seems very nice.

I always hated that offset left top pocket. I don't know why they had it. I asked Dante and he never gave me a good answer. It's a nice jacket, I just don't like the full belt either.

I have a "genuine" HGPD jacket, been researching these and the newest (circa 1995-2000) models. Depending on the year of manufacturer, there are some differences. I went out of my way for a NOS original after comparing all of them. I do however like the lower drop pockets on the FG Baron however and the big ass chest pockets on the FG Leather Kilimanjaro as well.

The problem was that not all the FG jackets had hand warmer pockets, some did, behind the drop pockets, but most did not. Again, depends on the year of manufacturing.

I have a decent photo collection of the various jackets, here's the link.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #80
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
I always hated that offset left top pocket. I don't know why they had it. I asked Dante and he never gave me a good answer.
Hmmm.....remind me to have a word with Paul.

The top left breast pocket is like that so that you can get your hand into it more easily; most likely to pull out your time card when you come to a checkpoint. I guess it's only the left one because the original designers figured that most riders would want to keep their time card in there so that they could pull it out with their right hand while holding the clutch with their left hand. The angle of pocket makes for a much more natural wrist angle and easier retrieval of the card or indeed anything else you might want to carry in there.

BTW, that jacket is known as the Belstaff Knockhill which is Scotland's principal motorsports venue - www.knockhill.com and it just so happens that, on a clear day, I can see it out of my front windows.
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #81
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:

where's the link ?
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #82
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley
where's the link ?
http://picasaweb.google.com/HaChayalBoded/HGParisDakar#
Old 12-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #83
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtum
Hmmm.....remind me to have a word with Paul.

The top left breast pocket is like that so that you can get your hand into it more easily; most likely to pull out your time card when you come to a checkpoint. I guess it's only the left one because the original designers figured that most riders would want to keep their time card in there so that they could pull it out with their right hand while holding the clutch with their left hand. The angle of pocket makes for a much more natural wrist angle and easier retrieval of the card or indeed anything else you might want to carry in there.
I recently watched an OOOOOLD motorcycle safety video. The rider was on an old Matchless (but in the video it looked brand spanking new). Anyway, I noticed something interesting. On that particular bike, the throttle was on the LEFT. I noticed because he was accelerating from a stop with his right hand out in order to signal. Did other British bikes have a left side throttle during that era? If so, then perhaps the reason for the offset left pocket was so that you can get to it without removing your left throttle hand.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #84
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
I always hated that offset left top pocket. I don't know why they had it. I asked Dante and he never gave me a good answer. It's a nice jacket, I just don't like the full belt either.

I have a "genuine" HGPD jacket, been researching these and the newest (circa 1995-2000) models. Depending on the year of manufacturer, there are some differences. I went out of my way for a NOS original after comparing all of them. I do however like the lower drop pockets on the FG Baron however and the big ass chest pockets on the FG Leather Kilimanjaro as well.

The problem was that not all the FG jackets had hand warmer pockets, some did, behind the drop pockets, but most did not. Again, depends on the year of manufacturing.

I agree about the belt. I generally don't wear it. It is nice that it is removeable. It's made in Italy, not the UK, but at least it's not China. Again, Quality seems outstanding. I've been wearing it this winter as a coat. It's heavy of course but very comfortable.

I have one of these Milanes, but I'm just not happy with the quality. It's a good value, no question....but the Belstaff is the best I've found so far. I think custom is only other good option.

Oh, I like the offset pocket - purposeful design.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #85
Schtum
Free Genie

Quote:
I recently watched an OOOOOLD motorcycle safety video. The rider was on an old Matchless (but in the video it looked brand spanking new). Anyway, I noticed something interesting. On that particular bike, the throttle was on the LEFT. I noticed because he was accelerating from a stop with his right hand out in order to signal. Did other British bikes have a left side throttle during that era? If so, then perhaps the reason for the offset left pocket was so that you can get to it without removing your left throttle hand.
The only bike I recall having a left hand throttle was the Indian so that motorcycle cops could fire their guns with their right hands. I'd stake quite a lot on there never having been a production Matchless or any British bike with a left hand throttle.

Schtum screwed with this post 12-23-2009 at 01:51 PM
Old 12-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #86
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtum
The only bike I recall having a left hand throttle was the Indian so that motorcycle cops could fire their guns with their right hands. I'd stake quite a lot on there never having been a production Matchless or any British bike with a left and throttle.
Maybe it was movie magic, but the video does seem quite old. Of maybe he was leaving down hill and the camera angle didn't show it.

Here's the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLAVx19vOZw
Old 12-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #87
Schtum
Free Genie

Quote:
Maybe it was movie magic, but the video does seem quite old. Of maybe he was leaving down hill and the camera angle didn't show it.

Here's the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLAVx19vOZw
That ain't old man - early to mid 60's at least. Heck I thought we were talking vintage V twin Matchless here when, in fact, it's an early 60's 250cc single. The video was made post '63 since that is the year of registration of the Triumph Tiger Cub which is being ridden by "Tom's friend".

As you suggest, movie magic or, more likely, a set throttle which doesn't close when you take your hand off. It's a long time ago but my first bike in '72 was, strangely enough, the AJS sports version of that Matchless, ie an AJS 250 CSR. It certainly had a normal right hand throttle and ISTR it was a set throttle. So the bike in the video has the usual right hand throttle. You can confirm this by noting the position of the throttle cable on the right hand end of the handlebar and in one of the closeups of Tom changing gear.

Tom's jacket looks like it may well be an original PVC Belstaff Black Prince.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=370289202140

Schtum screwed with this post 12-23-2009 at 02:45 PM
Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #88
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Got one for sale

I guess it's OK to send a pointer to the flea market.

Make me an offer so I don't have to put it on Ebay.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549958
Old 02-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #89
OnTheRoad
Apmt Dweller

Oddometer: 46
Other than e-bay, can someone point me in the direction of a US or (preferably) Canadian retailer/distributor of Hein Gericke or Belstaff?
OnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #90
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheRoad
Other than e-bay, can someone point me in the direction of a US or (preferably) Canadian retailer/distributor of Hein Gericke or Belstaff?
I bought my Belstaff here: http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/

but I had it shipped to the USA