Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
RLK OP

Oddometer: 6,261
Matt's stupid motorized bicycle thread

I need an urban mobility upgrade. I've been riding the city bus around with my bicycle on the bus's bike rack but they only run once every hour and 10 minutes and I have to transfer once and sometimes twice to get to where I need to be. The bike racks only hold two bikes and with spring nearly here lots more people are on bikes so the likelyhood of the bike rack being full before I get on increases.

A couple of possible solutions:

$350
http://www.wildernessenergy.com/unibikekit.html

http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/Motorized_Bikes.htm

$189 on sale, normal price $460

Please share your thoughts. Is there a BBS out there that covers such contraptions?

-Juanito on the Yahoo!

RLK screwed with this post 02-27-2007 at 07:07 PM
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
Roadwarrior
Taking The Long Way

Oddometer: 995
How about a dual sport kit for your XR250? I friend of mine put a Baja Designs kit on his XR250R and has been riding it on the road for years. With a bigger countershaft sprocket it handles the freeway easily. Makes a great city bike. He always puts a large padlock through the rear sprocket to keep anybody from riding away.
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
RLK OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior
How about a dual sport kit for your XR250? I friend of mine put a Baja Designs kit on his XR250R and has been riding it on the road for years. With a bigger countershaft sprocket it handles the freeway easily. Makes a great city bike. He always puts a large padlock through the rear sprocket to keep anybody from riding away.
Happy birthday a week late.

Know where I can find a good used KLR?

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
Old 02-28-2007, 05:49 AM   #4
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,212
for about the same money...

Considered a Moped?

http://www.mopedarmy.com/

One of 'em was pacing me at about 40mph on the way in to work the other day so it must've been kitted--but it wasn't noisy. Looked like it had MX bars on it. Guy looked pretty comfy on it with his messenger bag so I figured he was one of the local scootcommuters exploring his dork side.

I've thought about it, just to see how sleazy-cheap I could get. A used Tomos is for sale locally with exhaust and jetting done for $250 for it and a parts bike...I've seen others for $200 or so in running condition.

PS:

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
RLK OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Considered a Moped?
Yes. But there is this matter limiting my options. Gotta run in stealth mode for at least one year.

I leaning toward the electric hub motor setup. I sold my car so I could buy a second bicycle and get both. You only live once.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
Old 03-01-2007, 06:19 AM   #6
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK
Yes. But there is this matter limiting my options. Gotta run in stealth mode for at least one year.

I leaning toward the electric hub motor setup. I sold my car so I could buy a second bicycle and get both. You only live once.
Ah, okay--I just looked it up. Here in NC the moped doesn't need a license, insurance, etc...same for some 50cc scoots. Seems like CO sorta screwed people on that. Crap.

Have you tried this forum? http://www.motoredbikes.com/index.php

They've got a section on e-bikes.

I'll keep digging around. BTW, there's a bunch of hard core bicyclists on ADV...if you run into any parts issues or need help, holler. Most of us have a bunch of oddball parts in boxes if you need to mess around with wheelsets, brakes, etc.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:21 AM   #7
Ken OBSC
-6.12, -7.64

Oddometer: 37,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK
I need an urban mobility upgrade. I've been riding the city bus around with my bicycle on the bus's bike rack but they only run once every hour and 10 minutes and I have to transfer once and sometimes twice to get to where I need to be. The bike racks only hold two bikes and with spring nearly here lots more people are on bikes so the likelyhood of the bike rack being full before I get on increases.

A couple of possible solutions:

$350
http://www.wildernessenergy.com/unibikekit.html

http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/Motorized_Bikes.htm

$189 on sale, normal price $460

Please share your thoughts. Is there a BBS out there that covers such contraptions?

Matt:

Your best bet is http://www.scooterbbs.com/ there is a Moped forum. I've never been on that forum but all the others usually have lots of good information.

Old Bastards Scooter Club (Yahoo)
----------
With Age comes Wisdom

More Intellectual Fire Power than the entire wing-nuttery.

Ken OBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:39 AM   #8
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

What's the distance you need to commute, and what's the terrain like?

Like I like. Yep.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #9
RLK OP

Its about 8 miles one way. Very slight grade, 1 or 2% except the .5 mile closest to home which is 7 or 8%. A more direct way is a lot more hilly. I've been going an extra mile to go around the hills. It's a hilly town and i'd like to go more places than just work.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
Old 03-02-2007, 11:04 PM   #10
RLK OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK
Its about 8 miles one way. Very slight grade, 1 or 2% except the .5 mile closest to home which is 7 or 8%. A more direct way is a lot more hilly. I've been going an extra mile to go around the hills. It's a hilly town and i'd like to go more places than just work.
Strike that... I am required by law to go more places than just work. The man in the black leather chair said, "7 days in the county jail (done, june 30- july 5, 2006+feb 25, 2007) 48 hours of useful public service, and 68 hours of education and therapy @ 2 hours per week."

So, I must go all over town, over hill and dale, for a long fucking time.

I bought a second bicycle today. $50 from the local craigslist. Its about 15 years old but probably only has 10 miles on it. Shimano XT 21 speed thumb shift driveline, 26" wheels, 21" rigid frame, ridgid forks, center pull brakes... Perfect for a SpookyTooth of Tuscon AZ 36 volt electric hub motor kit test platform. I was willing to pay up to $300 for the right ridgid fork bike that would take a hub motor. All the bike shops were full of $300-$2000 aluminum front suspension bikes that don't have enough fork clearance to fit the e-motor. Fuck 'em.

Poor little old puddin headed me was forced to look at craigslist for 3 minutes only pay $50 for exactly what I wanted. Don't cry for me scooterista. This is going to work!

-Juanito on the Yahoo!

RLK screwed with this post 03-12-2007 at 06:54 PM
Old 03-03-2007, 05:06 AM   #11
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK
Strike that... I am required by law to go more places than just work. The man in the black leather chair said, "7 days in the county jail (done, june 30- july 5, 2006+feb 25, 2007) 48 hours of useful public service, and 92 hours of education and therapy @ 2 hours per week."

So, I must go all over town, over hill and dale, for a long fucking time.

I bought a second bicycle today. $50 from the local craigslist. Its about 15 years old but probably only has 10 miles on it. Shimano XT 21 speed thumb shift driveline, 26" wheels, 21" rigid frame, ridgid forks, center pull brakes... Perfect for a SpookyTooth of Tuscon AZ 36 volt electric hub motor kit test platform. I was willing to pay up to $300 for the right ridgid fork bike that would take a hub motor. All the bike shops were full of $300-$2000 aluminum front suspension bikes that don't have enough fork clearance to fit the e-motor. Fuck 'em.

Poor little old puddin headed me was forced to look at craigslist for 3 minutes only pay $50 for exactly what I wanted. Don't cry for me scooterista. This is going to work!
OOoooo! PERFECT bike for this!

Plenty of high-pressure tires available for that wheelsize to get the most efficiency out of that motor. That would be my next move since knobbies are gonna suck that battery down pronto. Any bike store will have "commuter" or some version of cross tires for 26" MTB wheels. I know it adds some money but it'll help out a great deal. If you don't find what you need in your budget range I'll see me and the guys can scrape up. I'm sure someone's got something since most of us have done the conversion a time or two.

These will work...not much money. Only takes a few minutes a tire if you want to swap back to the knobbies.

What else do you need?

Like I like. Yep.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #12
4SEVEN3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
I got some of those exact tires for the wife's bike and had less than $40 in them including proper size tubes. Rolls supa fast now!

Why not just pedal the thing, reap the health benefits and not look like your riding a liquorsikkle.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #13
oldmoped
size dont matters...

Oddometer: 51
wellcome to the http://www.motokruisers.com/forum/ ...
oldmoped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #14
RLK OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmoped
Yes sir!

Now we are talking!

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
Old 03-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #15
RLK OP

I decided to get my feet wet with a Wilderness Energy BD-36 electric kit which should arrive by Thursday. Eventually I want a gas motor for my other bike, infinite range.

Thanks Photog Ken OSBC and Oldmoped for the helpful links.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!