Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #16
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK
I decided to get my feet wet with a Wilderness Energy BD-36 electric kit which should arrive by Thursday. Eventually I want a gas motor for my other bike, infinite range.

Thanks Photog Ken OSBC and Oldmoped for the helpful links.
GREAT! I can't wait to hear about it.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:41 AM   #17
oldmoped
size dont matters...

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK
Now we are talking!

In this picture i see:
first is B-902 (start of '60-s) from Lvov factory, Ukraina, second Riga-11 (end of '70-s) from Rigas factory, Latvia and one homegrown model - sheap mountainbike with Russian latest D8E engine ('90-s) with oldtimer d4 gastank (from end of '50-s)
:)
oldmoped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:04 PM   #18
RLK OP

Oddometer: 6,382
Its here.

This as far as I have gotten so far. The batteries are charging now. In the meantime I want to see what the weak looking components are. What's going to break first and what I can I do to prevent a catastrophoic failure while i'm late to work.

Lets see... The brain. Pulse width modulator, in theory, sends big or medium or little pulses of juice to the motor depending on throttle position. Much more efficient than a rhiostadt. I'm going to encounter rain and snow in the period I will need to use this rig, maybe i'll go wild and want to try a deep water crossing. Maybe not. But the PWM controler has to survive road grit, Mag. chloride they spray on the streets to melt ice, sand, mud; whatever might spray up from the tires. Lets open her up!

\

I absolutely will seal around the edges, the wires port, and screw holes with clear silicone RTV to keep the muck out. The manual recomends that the controller be mounted under the seat. Makes since to me 'cause Like I said above, stealth is important. It has cooling fins on the base, or sort of a heat sink looking design to it. The maker took some steps to prevent failure from overheating. In this heat sink baseplate is a tiny weep hole, probably to allow a bit of ventilation. I won't seal this hole. I might do something to deflect foreign particles from entering and screwing up the tender synapses of my new/old "LiquorcycleGS"

Build up begins tomorrow. I'm going to re-read everything I learned from those motored-bikes forums about how to prevent failures.

Thumb throttle, WTF? That's gotta go. Its all plastic and seems like its pressed together.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #19
mercurial
Fully Automatic

Oddometer: 37
Looks like an interesting project. Keep us posted on your progress
Old 03-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #20
RLK OP

The stupid electric bicycle works.

I've been riding it to work and back and for errands for a week now. Its fun!

The install took longer than expected. The steel rack had to be bent at the mounting points to fit my bike. The quick-release hardware of the rear wheel and seat aren't designed to hold more than they do. It was a struggle to get the rack on. But the rack is very strong, that's a plus. After a week of riding I re-tightened everything because the mounts sort of settle in as expected. I don't want to loc-tite the fasteners because someday I will have a flat tire, and a blowtorch bungeed to the bike might raise suspision.

Well, here it is. My daily driver, before and after.

Hi to my friends at MotoredBikes.com FREE STICKERS!

The green GT with RockShocks will probably get a 2 stroke gasoline rear drive kit, someday... I could build a trailer and haul a bunch of cargo, someday.

From that site I learned that the spokes will wear holes in the tube, duh! It doesen't come with the big rubber band to protect an innertube.

So I lined the wheel with foam/tape to cushion the innertube.

The rest of the installation went as planned but I did have to spread the forks a little. The hub motor is WIDE and there isn't much room between the outside of the motor and the forks. I looked a several bikes before I found one that would work. Forget about putting one of these motors on a bike with front shocks! I had to adjust the chain derailers (sp) because the rear rack messed up the alinement a little and the bike wouldn't go into 21st gear. I use 21st gear a lot now because this thing hauls ass on flatish grades and downhills. Probably over 30 mph but I can't find a good speedometer with an illuminated screen that will work reliably. The Bell backlit wireless unit I bought is INOP out of the box and the BackTrails one I bought re-sets its self if you don't stand on one foot and hold your toung just right, and there is no illumination. I long for the old cable driven speedo I bought at Sears in 1985. It had glow in the dark numbers and was bombproof. I digress.

I like this motor and bike. I hope there is not much rain this summer.

Thanks for reading!

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
Old 03-27-2007, 06:34 AM   #21
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
Damn, that's great! I'm impressed...especially with the speed.

Speaking of which, does the hub interfere with the speedo pickup at all?

That's really, really cool. I can't wait to hear about daily use.

I've got an old GT Karakorum frame that would be cool for that sort of thing...

Keep posting!

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:51 AM   #22
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324

Keep on keepin' on, Matt.
cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:08 AM   #23
RLK OP

Six months later...

...It still works.

The bad news:
The velcro battery-to-rack attachment system failed after a week of daily commutes. After about 10 daily commutes the velcro straps failed and the battery pack fell off of the bike. Since then the battery pack has been held on with good old bungee cords.

The plastic throttle lever that is controled by my thumb has broken off 4 times. I carry Crazy Glue to fix it and try to remind myself to not hold it full on over the bumps. I need the twist throttle that is available from the folks that sold this kit.

The good news:
I passed an unmanned roadside radar speed device that clocked me at 36 MPH. This crazy machine has pulled my lazy ass to work every day for 6 months without ever causing me to be late. My commute is faster on this stupid electric bike than on a gas motorcycle or car because there are no stop signs or traffic lights on the greenway paths. When I ride the surface streets I can treat red lights like stop signs like all other bicycles do in town. The electric bicycle is the fastest way to get through crosstown traffic. I rode the electric bike every day that I worked off my 48 hours community service at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. Its a long steep climb from my house to the zoo but the electric bike got me there easily every day.

I love it. It's the perfect tool for the job.

Up next: A cargo trailer.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!

RLK screwed with this post 08-27-2007 at 01:18 AM
Old 08-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #24
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,412
wow really cool, i was thinking of onverting my mountain bike to electric.
scorch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:08 PM   #25
anomad
in storage

Oddometer: 1,697
RLK, sorry about your the pickle you are in.
I have a serious cache of bicycle junk in my garage. i have, oh, several bikes, I ride a lot. Give me a shout if you need something. I even have some extra bike clothes, depending on your size, that might help.

Fenders. You need a good set of full coverage zefals of planet bike fenders with upgraded flaps (water bottles cut in half and bolted on). That makes an amazing
difference in the amount of spray that affects you.

8 miles to work is no problem with only your legs as a motor. Should be about 30 minutes at a casual pace, once you are in shape.
Clipless pedals are major too, need shoes to go with. As for other obligations I don't know how many miles that adds?
I rode 30+ miles/day to and from work for a year in Oregon, snow, rain, etc...for two years Ate about 5 lbs of pasta a week and ice cream, beer, etc.. couldn't stop losing weight. Look on the bright side. I even rode to work most of the year in Fairbanks Alaska. When it was below -30F I would walk.

Lights: get a good front and rear LED set with shorter days approaching.

The electric motor is cool and all, but don't underestimate your legs and lungs.

edit: a trailer is a pain, but useful for serious baggage or large objects. A rear rack and good panniers is cheaper and more convenient. I have a BOB trailer in the garage that rarely gets used. If I go bike camping and dirt is involved it is used. If dirt is not involved its panniers and a touring bike. My daily ride is 6 miles to/from work, easy grades and one brutal climb on the way home. No greenbelt here, its more like mortal combat. I use a touring bike and two small panniers that haul clothes, thermos, lunch, tools, paperwork etc.. I have a huge set for groceries or the like.

anomad screwed with this post 09-01-2007 at 11:17 PM
anomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #26
RLK OP

Oh boy! The weather sucks. Almost 8 inches sinch Friday. Its Winter in Colorado, Its supposed to snow. I think the city ran out of sand to spread around on the icy tire-rutted streets of our fair village; So I did something even more stupid than building an electric front wheel drive bicycle.

Studded tire on the stupid front electric powered wheel!

I'll give it a spin tomorrow.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #27
RLK OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomad
RLK, sorry about your the pickle you are in.
I have a serious cache of bicycle junk in my garage. i have, oh, several bikes, I ride a lot. Give me a shout if you need something. I even have some extra bike clothes, depending on your size, that might help.

Fenders. You need a good set of full coverage zefals of planet bike fenders with upgraded flaps (water bottles cut in half and bolted on). That makes an amazing
difference in the amount of spray that affects you.

8 miles to work is no problem with only your legs as a motor. Should be about 30 minutes at a casual pace, once you are in shape.
Clipless pedals are major too, need shoes to go with. As for other obligations I don't know how many miles that adds?
I rode 30+ miles/day to and from work for a year in Oregon, snow, rain, etc...for two years Ate about 5 lbs of pasta a week and ice cream, beer, etc.. couldn't stop losing weight. Look on the bright side. I even rode to work most of the year in Fairbanks Alaska. When it was below -30F I would walk.

Lights: get a good front and rear LED set with shorter days approaching.

The electric motor is cool and all, but don't underestimate your legs and lungs.

edit: a trailer is a pain, but useful for serious baggage or large objects. A rear rack and good panniers is cheaper and more convenient. I have a BOB trailer in the garage that rarely gets used. If I go bike camping and dirt is involved it is used. If dirt is not involved its panniers and a touring bike. My daily ride is 6 miles to/from work, easy grades and one brutal climb on the way home. No greenbelt here, its more like mortal combat. I use a touring bike and two small panniers that haul clothes, thermos, lunch, tools, paperwork etc.. I have a huge set for groceries or the like.
If you have some warm pants that are somewhat areodynamic, I could use them. I have been wearing big stupid puffy snow pants. I'm sticking with the Tourmaster Tech (not Cortech) jacket I have used for years. Fleece underneath. I have a ton of good gear for the top half. Sometimes I wear my dirt helmet, sometimes I wear my old beater full face helmet as seen in my avitar picture. I've got about 10 pairs of gloves to choose from depending on the temperature. Top half is good.

When the wind is from the west, my big puffy snow pants catch the chain and the wind and it ads almost 15 minutes to my ride to work. I have a bunch of duct tape on the right leg of the snow pants because they kept catching the chain and crank. They work for now.

My size, 32"or 33" waist. 33" or 34" inseam.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:53 PM   #28
RLK OP

Well folks, It works!

Dear home street:
FYYFIcy hill, I have a $44 studded bicycle tire on my front wheel drive stupid electric bicycle. I'm better than you! Go pound sand if you can find some, I won't! You can't stop me. FYYF Icy sandless north-facing hill.

Welcome home, $44 studded bicycle tire. You are a good friend.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:15 AM   #29
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK
Well folks, It works!

Dear home street:
FYYFIcy hill, I have a $44 studded bicycle tire on my front wheel drive stupid electric bicycle. I'm better than you! Go pound sand if you can find some, I won't! You can't stop me. FYYF Icy sandless north-facing hill.

Welcome home, $44 studded bicycle tire. You are a good friend.
Wow, you've been at it for a while now. Is the motor and everything holding up well now?

That's an awesome arrangement with the studded tire!
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:09 AM   #30
GulfCoast
formerly SWLAStrom

Oddometer: 764
The electric bike kits are intriguing and I am always seeking real world information. In general (like your six month update) how is the bike/kit holding up, any problems/issues?

Good luck with the other "issues". How much longer before your probation is done? Are you a first offender and eligible for an expungement?
GulfCoast is offline   Reply With Quote