ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #61
RLK OP

Oddometer: 6,362
There is no silver bullet in this game. There will never be a perfect stupid motorized bicycle. But its a lot of fun to tinker with and, in the words of a former employer, "Learn and grow together."

The Revothingie could be an interesting way to teach youself to tune carbuerators. Maybe a guy could figure out how to dial in a fat low end on the power curve with jetting and float settings, different exhaust and intakes and whatnot.

The Revo motor has as much merit as any other stupid bicycle motor out there, and as many shortcomings.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #62
RLK OP

The stupid electric bicycle took a break for about 6 weeks

...but we are back on the road.

Installation error on me. I initially wound the throttle wire loom around the top frame tube back to the PWM brain box. After 20 months of 18 miles + daily bumpy streets and greenways, the insulation of the throttle wires wore away and shorted out.

I ordered a $50 new twist 4 pin throttle from a different vendor than I bought the original kit from. It came with a 4 pin connector as advertised but it was a 4 pin female which dosent plug in so well with the 4 pin female plug on the PWM Brain of the original kit. This didn't seem like a big problem at first, My old throttle had the male plug with red, black, orange and purple wires, the new throttle had the female plug with red, black, orange, and purple wires. I cut the male plug off the nasty old thumb throttle and spliced it onto the slick new twist throttle Red to red, black, orange to orange, purple to purple; but it was no go.

I know that I can't return a throttle that I hacked and spliced. I'll eat the $50. I can get the lights to light up but it won't make the motor go. The throttle and its pretty lights will go on the christmas tree and i'll get my $50 out of it.

The new cheap bastardized system consists of a 40 amp Bosch type headlight relay $10, a genaric aftermaket Yamaha kill/horn button $8 and a boatload of black tape $3. It makes the motor assist an all or nothing deal but that's how I used the fancy PWM system anyway. If I studied up a little more I could probably figure out how to make the 87A pin on the relay turn the motor into a re-generating brake when not under power.

Overall I still love my stupid electric bicycle. I's back to daily driver duty tomorrow.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
Old 08-28-2008, 12:03 AM   #63
HiTechRedneck
Big Ruckin'

Oddometer: 1,405
Wow, nice!!

I just bought a Trek 7000 for around campus and an electric conversion is never far from my mind.

I commute 54 miles, one way, to class on my Big Ruckus and the bicycle is for on campus only. I've done a fair amount of research into the electric idea and have found not a few sources....the least of which are the pre-packaged systems. The best ideas, that I've located, are the conversions for 12v motors using a direct drive system. Only problem is a good 12v motor costs as much, or more, than the kits available online.

Add into that a small battery, drive belt, sprocket mod, etc....and it gets a bit pricey, to say the least.

Any input from your perspective having bought an online kit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Whatever you say, Socrates.
HiTechRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:54 AM   #64
RLK OP

If you are going more than 20 miles one way you need a gasser. No electric only kit will take you 54 miles on a single charge. Re-charging of my 36 volt kit takes about 2 hours and is good for ~15 miles of hilly terrain.

The 70cc two stroke gas kits are coming down in price and the quality might be improving. I saw a 71cc kit for $185+ shipping from Connecticut.

I started this experiment to see what I could break first. It was the AGM batteries and they didn't really break, just wore out. Next was the sucky plastic thumb throttle lever which I fixed with a sheetmetal screw and crazy glue. Then, recently the throttle wire insulation wore out.

What was the question? Oh yeah, perspective... I use the power assist in go like hell or coast to a stop modes. All or nothing, no in-between. I think i'm going to like this simpler headlight relay/horn button setup with the bombproof original brushed motor and the second set of batteries. If I keep playing with it I might add another horn button/ relay circuit and a fourth battery to make 48 volts, 24 volts, or nothing.

But that $185 gasser kit looks pretty sweet too.

If you want an electric kit for around campus I think a hub motor would be more reliable than any kind of sprocket/chain/belt system. The hub motors are sealed and impervious to road grime and dirt. And they don't really look like motors. My most FAQ is, 'is that a drum brake?'

-Juanito on the Yahoo!

RLK screwed with this post 08-28-2008 at 01:05 AM
Old 08-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #65
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,045
There's a 49cc engine at this Ebay seller's store that sells for $69 plus shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Engine-Set-For-2-Stroke-Pocket-Bike-Dirt-Bik
e-ATV_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262 QQcategoryZ10066QQihZ011QQitemZ320290491888

I've been tempted to get it, but for somone setting up a bike from scratch witout any fabrication tools or skills, it would probably be better to get the full made for a bicycle engine kit

The unit up above only comes with the engine, attached auto clutch and sprocket, and fuel tank. They do sell bigger fuel tanks and the sellers ebay store site is a treasure for those you like to tinker.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:22 AM   #66
HiTechRedneck
Big Ruckin'

Actually, the EASIEST way for a gasser is to use a weed eater.

Seriously.

The output shaft on a weed eater works perfectly! I have a buddy of mine who was stationed in Korea and a lot of local kids would rig up this cool system.

Well, long story short, a few years later he built a similar set up for his son. You remove the drive shaft and drive shaft tube. The output shaft, depending upon the brand of trimmer, will either work or need a metal extension welded on.

So you build a bracket to hold the trimmer engine over the rear wheel. But you have to build it to where you move a lever and lower the output shaft to contact the rear wheel. From there it's just friction.

Nice thing about most trimmers is the already have a remote throttle set up, a nice self contained engine/fuel tank...and they can be had for CHEAP
Quote:
Old 08-29-2008, 04:24 AM   #67
Cedartree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Regenerative braking?

Matt,
Just spent a couple hours reading about your experiences, good on you for getting clear of all that and moving on to better things.
I like the regenerative braking idea.
In theory all you should have to do is run a wire of the same guage or the next size up from the 87a terminal of the relay back to the charge connection of your battery pack. Without a wiring diagram I don't know if the ground is constant or you would have to switch that as well, I assume the relay only switches the power (+) to the hub on and off and the ground would be constant, I'm also not sure if that big hub thingy has a one way clutch in it. If it has a one way clutch, no regen braking, unless you can figure out how to keep it engaged all the time. You probably know that the battery needs to see voltage higher than what the battery can produce to be recharged as well.
Try www.howstuffworks.com its a great resource for inquisitive minds which you should find interesting.

Keep on posting, its a great read.

If I studied up a little more I could probably figure out how to make the 87A pin on the relay turn the motor into a re-generating brake when not under power.

[/quote]
Cedartree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #68
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedartree
Matt,

Keep on posting, its a great read.
Yeah, dude, it's good to get the update. And it's good to see the thing (more or less) holding up. Is that AGM battery the same one you were mentioning last time, or are you on your third one?
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #69
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedneck
Actually, the EASIEST way for a gasser is to use a weed eater.

Seriously.

The output shaft on a weed eater works perfectly! I have a buddy of mine who was stationed in Korea and a lot of local kids would rig up this cool system.

Well, long story short, a few years later he built a similar set up for his son. You remove the drive shaft and drive shaft tube. The output shaft, depending upon the brand of trimmer, will either work or need a metal extension welded on.

So you build a bracket to hold the trimmer engine over the rear wheel. But you have to build it to where you move a lever and lower the output shaft to contact the rear wheel. From there it's just friction.

Nice thing about most trimmers is the already have a remote throttle set up, a nice self contained engine/fuel tank...and they can be had for CHEAP
Depends on the weedeater. When I worked at a bicycle shop, we had a neighborhood "guru" who was setting up kids bikes and little foot scooters with Ryobi 2 cycle weedeater engines as transport. The engines were over hung on the rear wheel with a bit of heavy plumbers tape and some shelf brackets, and a cheap rear freestyle BMX footpeg for the driveshaft. No auto clutch and a most draconian engine control and engagement. He used extra BMX brake levers from Walmart to control the throttle and to drop the engine onto the wheel, like a clutch lever in reverse.

The engines were subject to over loading from the friction shaft and quite a few of the engines died early bearing deaths. If you're familiar with Ryobi and Homelite weedeater engines, the crank is only supported on one side, much like a model airplane engine.

The kids were driving these things in heavy traffic and the bike paths. I heard later the city shut him down after a couple of kids had accidents on these things. I'm suprized some parents didn't sue him.

He was breaking a whole bunch of laws, as the kids were mostly preteens and were not using lighting or helmets. The totally assinine thing was the kids were riding to and from his place on one of the most heavily travelled and dangerous roads in that city.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #70
HiTechRedneck
Big Ruckin'

Yeah...so the guy gets in trouble because kids are dumbasses?

I know what ya mean, though. Actually, I've thought about doing it, but I'd much rather use a Stihl trimmer. And yes, a premature grenading of the engine is to be expected if you overtax an engine with a piston the size of a tomato paste can
Quote:
Old 05-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #71
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #72
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
echooooooo

echooooooooooooooooo

Matt you still here?

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #73
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:44 AM   #74
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,658
How about Drill-power?

http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2...he-drill-bike/

http://zedomax.com/blog/2008/07/20/1...red-mini-bike/

Old 09-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #75
RLK OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Sorry for not watching this thread in a long time. Sorry. I took the thing apart after I crashed it pretty hard last year. Not enough brakes to woah up all that weight from 30 MPH downhill. I got a little off line and broke my nose on a low hanging object. All is well though.

Overall the Stupid Electric Bicycle was exactly what is was supposed to be. I still have the hub motor and wheel but its got a decent dent. I've got two sets of SLA batteries that need recycled. I scratch my head about the overall environmental impact of electric vehicles particularly because of the energy used and water polluted to make and unmake whatever type of battery is used.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!