User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
notarex OP
Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer: 1,213
Airhead ex. nut love

My down pipes and crossover came off this week to make a trip to the ceramic coaters. They were real manky and rusty , so I figured I'd nip this one in the bud before replacements were necessary (have you seen the prices for these lately $$$$$) The little bungs that were brazed on the crossover had corroded and given way so I had my way with them using the trusty tig welder. So with a two week turnaround on my pipes (Airtech coatings in East Hartford, CT- really good guys that do great work. $100 for 3 pipes in Cermachrome finish), I figured I'd give some love to my nuts. They were disgusting, nuff said. Cleaned the threads with a brass brush and taped them off for bead blasting. After blasting:

Nice and clean now! Then over to the bench grinder w/wire wheel. After a couple of minutes on that:

Oooh so sparkly! Sure beats putting some yucky nuts back on my nice shiny new pipes. With the exhaust off, I turned my attention to the front cover- which looks like hell. Checked the diode board mounts, . Dialectric grease on all connections,. I think I'll give the cover the same treatment as deez nuts:

I cant figure out if the space between the fins is painted black like the valve covers are, or if it's just 30 years of crud built up in there. I'll post more pics when I get my pipes back....
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
I think the fin area is not painted on the front cover.

what kind of a blaster are you using?
cost?
effectiveness?

Oh hell, just give us a full review.

BTW, after you clean up that cover, giving a dose of Flitz. That shit goes on easy and keeps the metal conditioned to avoid further crustation.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
notarex OP
Can U taste the waste?

Sand blaster info:
Husky vacuum fed gun bought at home depot- $20
Works pretty good, but I wouldn't want to do anything with a large surface area-need a gravity feed for that.
25 lb bag glass bead- $15
The only thing to use on aluminum
One homemade blasting cabinet made with furring strips, clear shower curtains and cardboard - hey it works! oh and it wasn't $400
With this rig I've done valve covers. heads, barrels, misc. small and medium size parts. Anything larger, such as frames and it's off to the professionals-
Old 03-01-2007, 01:02 AM   #4
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
Just don't use the wire wheel on the cover.
I think the original parts were sand blasted.
Why only use glass beads? What difference does it make?
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:01 AM   #5
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
in fact, i find glass beads too abrasive for engine surfaces. makes them look unnaturally shiny, IMO. i prefer to use walnut shells.
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #6
notarex OP
Can U taste the waste?

Walnut shells are great too! Sand and Black Beauty may contain traces of iron which will imbed into the surface of aluminum and cause unsightly rust spots.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
notarex OP
Can U taste the waste?

Finally got my pipes back from the coaters and they look great! Nipped that rust in the bud and the ceramic will retain heat better and never blue.
Here's some pics...

Here's the before...

Notice the crossover, it was pretty manky. Replaced the hardware with stainless- that area sees alot of water and gunk and I didn't want to fight with it again. I went for a ride today and everything seemed to check out OK. I would recommend ceramic coating to anybody!

notarex screwed with this post 03-27-2007 at 07:47 PM
Old 03-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
Troutrider
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
I swear that looks like my old bike. '78? From Ohio? If not it really brings back some memories. The wife and I had some great trips on that one. Sweet! Pipes look great too.

Troutrider

"Ride like you want to get up and do it again tomorrow"
Troutrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
notarex OP
Can U taste the waste?

It is a 78, I am the 3rd owner- 30k miles. The first owner (last name mancini) had it for 18 years and put 15k on it. I hope to put at least 10k on it this summer
Old 03-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #10
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
could I have some more details about what type of treatment you did to the pipes?
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:22 AM   #11
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,803
nice red-smoke 100S, no about it. Don't hide it w/ a vinyl bra.

Question, homes: how are you getting those in-line gas filters to fit so close to the petcocks? You have elbows coming off the petcocks?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #12
notarex OP
Can U taste the waste?

Datchew- The coating is a ceramic aluminum liquid that is sprayed on, then baked to cure. The surface is prepped by media blasting to remove oxidation, loose chrome and to provide a tooth for the ceramic to bind to. I had a choice of colors: white, flat black, dull grey, or chrome (which is slightly duller than real chome -but it is possible to polish it) The coating is good to 1500-2000 F and resists corrosion and blueing. They coat the inside + outside of the pipes. Supposedly, the ceramic insulates the pipes so the hot exhaust stays hot (travels faster) instead of giving up heat to the pipe. They do still get hot though. They look a lot better than they did, although they make my motor look dingy in comparison.

Mugwest- Mustang tank cover is to protect the paint from my tank bag, I do miss looking at it though. The BMW braided hose doesn't kink as easy as regular tubing, mine turns about 60 deg in 3". The fuel filters are machined aluminum with a brass filter (looks like a fishtank bubbler) inside. They are reusable and rebuildable and work great. I dunno who makes them, they came with the bike. The orig owner seems like a smart guy, he made mods like the fuel filters, Koni's, progressive fork springs, dyna III ignition, denfield seat, etc.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #13
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
cool. I'll keep that in mind. Turned out really really nice. It would look great on a gs.

datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #14
Troutrider
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarex
It is a 78, I am the 3rd owner- 30k miles. The first owner (last name mancini) had it for 18 years and put 15k on it. I hope to put at least 10k on it this summer

Very nice! Mine had 104K on it when I sold it and it didn't look much different. The guy that worked on it forever said the motor had never been opened. Here's hoping yours does that good. I really liked mine. Enjoy.

Troutrider

"Ride like you want to get up and do it again tomorrow"
Troutrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #15
honcho
Barley Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
your valve covers look like they're in pretty good shape... you done anything to em? also, you got a picture of your homemade blasting cabinet? thanks