User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,611
Mystic's ... Good or Bad?

I'm sizing up a '94 Mystic. R100R w/ deep bags and a windshield. Used but well cared for.
Comments? Opinions?
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,325
I guess it is like any other model R100 from those years. I hear the later ones are really better in the braking and handling department than say, my 1977 R100RS.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

I guess it is like any other model R100 from those years.

Flacid answer. Let's assume, I don't know anything about the R100 from those years....

Would this be a reasonable bike to own, or should I flee in terror?
Old 10-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
Boxer Metal
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,478
I owned one when they first came out. Cool looking bike and not something you see everyday in an R100.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
Boxer Metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 733
I sold a 77RS to get a super low mile Mystic a few years back. I wanted a more modern performing airhead and I was really pleased with the Mystic.

Compared to the 70's dual shocks, the late model R's, like the Mystic, are light years ahead in handling, braking and overall rideabliity. Not ask quick in a straight line as the RS was but quicker in the corners because of the better braking, suspension and handling.

The Mystic rides a bit "small" compared to others. I'm 6 even and it took a little getting used to the riding position. The stock bars are shorter and flater than standard R models and the pegs seemed a bit higher. I ended up getting some bar backs.

Not a good two up bike, seat is basically a solo. The seat comes off with two allen bolts so no quick access. Bag mounts are flimsy plastic compared to older style metal hangars. I was not able to find a good windscreen without getting blasted by wind so I gave up on the search.

Big things to lookout for: circlip on tranny output, leaky rear stock shock. Other than that they are pretty trouble free if previous owners stayed on top of things.

Overall I loved the looks, performance of the Mystic. Its a great weekend or daily rider, not the best (stock set up) for long touring. Was only comfortable for about 3 or so hours in the saddle.

I would have kept it but I moved way out in the woods in Arkansas and needed a GS to get around, Plus my old man loved mine so much, he got one. Now just waiting for him to "hang up the helmet" and pass it on to me.

Good luck...

This is the one I sold....

After my old man bought this one....
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 6,033
Since I don't have much arihead experience beyond mine and what I read, I look to the BMW Motorcycle Buyer's Guide by Nelson & Zimmerman for info....

The section on the R100CS, R100R, Mystic, R100RS is subtitled The Last and Best of the Airheads. The rest of the descriptions focus on the tucked in exhaust, Mystic red metallic paint, swoopy good looks of a dedicated superbike, redesigned subframe, and a few other details. 1994 only for the Mystic.

The garage watch section in the guide has few problems listed - for all the above bikes in general things to watch are the rear paralever bearing; rear shock on the RS; and in general the single row cam chain from 1979 onward can wear out between 25-30K miles, but still go forever, just noisy. The noise can mimic valve noise and so be hard to diagnose without checking. But by aand large, they are the most trouble free of the airheads.

So the writers say.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,325
This is the one I sold....

After my old man bought this one....
[/QUOTE]
DAMNIT! Now I want one! Thanks a LOT!
Old 10-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 6,033
Yeah, I love my R80 ST, but that Mystic has a strong appeal to me.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
97oilhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I recently bought a '95 R100R Classic, other than the trim it is the same as the Mystic. I can honestly say that it is my favorite BMW bike that I have ever owned.

The bike just feels planted when riding, the lightest BMW I have owned and it has fantastic brakes, the front forks are a larger diameter, dual four puck Brembros that are the same as the R1100's until 2000. The '95 R100RT Classic only has the dual two puck Brembros.

Vastly improved over the pucker factor when trying to brake on my previous '94 R100GSPD, even with the 4 puck Brembro upgrade.

Take it for a test ride you will like it.
'95 R100R Classic
97oilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
I always thought they were nice. I remember being broke back in '94 and sitting on one at the dealer and thinking I couldn't wait until they got old enough to get cheap enough that I could afford one. I rarely see them for sale though and I will stay with my R100 GS now.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

this one has "deep" hardbags and a rear rack with a 2up seat...and a windshield
Don't have a pic yet....

just wondering if there were any servicing/parts issues....

danedg screwed with this post 10-04-2011 at 07:25 PM
Old 10-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,640
I've never ridden one and I rarely see one, but I've always appreciated the Mystics. My opinion is that it represents the top of the evolutionary ladder of Airheads, rather like a lean and nimble Raptorsaur instead of a Tyrannosaur. And a Mystic just flat looks good.

Go for it...
Old 10-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #13
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,130
I've got an R100R I rode across the country probably five years ago to the BMW National rally in VT. 7500 miles in three weeks and loved it. No windscreen, just the stock bike, but with low bars.

One thing not mentioned is the ujoints. Some think the GS with it's steeper driveline angle is the only one to have problems, but the R and Mystic are also prone to ujoint failures, though not as much. If you didn't know, the 100R and Mystic are the road-going variant of the 100GS. These models are the only airheads with paralever rear ends, and limited choices in final drive ratios. I personally don't think they're as good looking as earlier airheads, but can be made into gorgeous S clones (with a lot of work and money expended).
Old 10-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

I think I'll be stickin' to the roads for the most part, but we need a bit more oomph than the R60...
A windshield would be nice.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:39 AM   #15
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
I think I'll be stickin' to the roads for the most part, but we need a bit more oomph than the R60...
A windshield would be nice.
I had an R100R for a few years with the stock BMW windshield, and it was by far the best windshield I've ever had on a bike. Short enough I could see over the top (5'8"), no buffeting but let enough air in that I could leave it on all summer in south AL.