User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 06:48 AM   #1
jeep44 OP
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,930
Honda 305 Superhawk

I've had maybe 20 bikes over the years-all British or American. This is the first Japanese bike I've ever had. A friend had it, and wanted to sell it. I saw how original it was, and decided to do a "rescue"-otherwise, some kid might have made a "Cafe Racer" or a Bobber out of it. It has 8000 miles on it, and it's been sitting in a garage since 1974. All the side covers and air cleaners are there,too-just in a milk crate. I won't be able to do much to this until the snow is gone, but I'm looking forward to riding it. Right now I'm pretty sure it's a 1966 (the PO is still looking for the title)

jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:07 AM   #2
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,803
Good score. I was 16 in 1968 when I started out on a new CB160. Then, and still, I feel that the 305 Super Hawk is the most classic of the Hondas during that period when Honda was carving out its own place in the US market. It just looked "right" and sounded "right".

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #3
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,468
congrats!

certainly a giggle-fest of a bike.

Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
jeep44 OP
junk collector

I'm probably not going to have so many lights on my bike when it's done........
Old 02-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,896
My first bike, red, bought new in '65. Great bike, biggest Japanese bike at the time, and the equal of 500cc Triumphs, maybe even a little faster. It would do about a 100, which is about what a Bonneville would do at that time. The baffles were held in with just a bolt, so naturally they came out.

Electric start was huge back then, as was the OHC. High revs for the time.

Good luck with it, keep us posted.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
Tripletreat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
My first bike was a CB77 - I believe it was a 1963. I agree that they were and are great bikes. It always seemed to me that when Honda brought out the 350s, they were a big step backward as far as style. The Superhawks are just beautiful.
If you get into the engine, be sure to replace the valve springs. They were of questionable quality and allow the valves to float before you ever get the engine wound up to redline.
I put Bates reverse cone megaphones on mine back in the day. They earned me my first ticket from the CHP!
Lovely sound though....
Old 02-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
Turbodog1000
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 13
Great find! I am currently restoring a 1964 CB77 Superhawk. I got it running last spring and rode all last summer. These are a popular bike to restore, lots of parts and good info on the net & Ebay.

Honda305.com is a great for advice, those guys really know this bike.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:46 AM   #8
PJay
Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer: 464
Still have my CB77 - restored it during the 1980s, and it needs restoration again now.

It is the model I lusted after when I first got into motorcycling in the early to mid 1960s, and mine the last of my bikes I'd ever sell.

To my mind, their only real fault is that they need a 6-spd gearbox - the spread of the 4 makes them pant a bit now and then.

One of its shedmates is a Superhawk, too: a 2006 VTR1000.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:13 AM   #9
JackHinds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Good catch! That thing looks amazing.

And though I think Cafe Racers have their place, it would be a shame to see it stripped down and cut up.
JackHinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:30 AM   #10
jeep44 OP
junk collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHinds View Post
Good catch! That thing looks amazing.

And though I think Cafe Racers have their place, it would be a shame to see it stripped down and cut up.
I like a lot of Cafe Racers,too, but when something like this has survived basically unmolested for so long, I want to see it preserved as it is.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:33 AM   #11
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 4,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
Good score. I was 16 in 1968 when I started out on a new CB160. Then, and still, I feel that the 305 Super Hawk is the most classic of the Hondas during that period when Honda was carving out its own place in the US market. It just looked "right" and sounded "right".
Mid-to-late '60's. If you had a CB 160 you were Top Dog. A 305 Hawk, you were gawd. They seemed just HUGE back then. Nowadays, they look like teeny-tiny, almost dainty, bikes.

How times have changed...

--Bill
Old 02-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
jeep44 OP
junk collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Mid-to-late '60's. If you had a CB 160 you were Top Dog. A 305 Hawk, you were gawd. They seemed just HUGE back then. Nowadays, they look like teeny-tiny, almost dainty, bikes.

How times have changed...

--Bill
They ARE little bikes. I'm not very big myself, so I look just fine on it. As I get older, I think it is better to ride a small, light bike-I don't want to be one of these old guys trying to hold up a 1000 pound motorcycle.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #13
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
Super

That describes it pretty good, I notice it has a different front fender than the one with all the lights. I wonder if it's the same year, but just a different model? Your fender looks more dual purpose. Looks a lot like the front fender on my 69 Yamaha Trail Master. Good score! Have fun.
luckychucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #14
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckychucky View Post
That describes it pretty good, I notice it has a different front fender than the one with all the lights. I wonder if it's the same year, but just a different model? Your fender looks more dual purpose. Looks a lot like the front fender on my 69 Yamaha Trail Master. Good score! Have fun.
The front fender on the light show bike looks like it might have come off a 305 Dream model, totally different bike.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #15
RustyStuff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckychucky View Post
The Light bike is a Honda Dream, with the funny leading link forks. Dreams were the commuter/touring bike, with a single carb and mild tuneing for fuel economy. The superhawk /Hawks had twin carbs,Hotter tuning, different gearing IIrc, and was the Sports bike.