Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Cool2 Yamaha TX750 starter clutch mod!!. OH YA!! Big pic heavy!!

That's right guy's. Someone was finally smart enough to figure out a mod for these poorly designed starter clutch's.

His name is Argo. He is from Estonia. Which is just west of Russia I think. He will be along soon I hope.

I have in my possession what he calls a pre-series unit. It is a much more expensive proto type. He will have another less expensive version available in the very near future.

First. Here's some before proof that my starter clutch is toast.

So let's get started.

Here is the proto type.

Here's is the meat of the new unit. This sprag,,, also known as a one way bearing,,, he acquired from over sea's. He say's it's of top quality. It has 20 contact point's to grab the starter gear compaired to the original which only had 3.

I'm sure you guy's can do these first step's with no problem. But I did take the pic's.

Remove outer and inner cover's to get to the flywheel.

Remove the flywheel.

I borrowed a flywheel puller from someone. But the nut part was too long. It didn't leave enough thread exposed on the bolt. While holding the flywheel with a pry bar, I just screwed the screw right in, and the flywheel popped off.

Take note. You do not thread a bolt into the end of the crank shaft. You use a bigger bolt in the end of the flywheel. You'll see what I mean. The bolt needed is a M16x1.5 about 50mm long. It should be at least a 10.9 grade.

Remove starter clutch from flywheel.

Old compared to the new.

I am at the point now where I have to drill and tap the hole's for the M8x1.25 screw's that secure the clutch to the flywheel. I'll get this done tomorrow.

I used some Gorilla tape and taped the outer ring to the flywheel so it wouldn't move. You could just clamp it too. I then screwed it to a board.

I used a 8mm drill bit to just barley dimple the flywheel. Then I changed bits and drilled the proper hole for the 8mm tap. As recommended by Argo, I drilled and taped one hole at a time to ensure nothing was able to move.

I actually argued with a guy about how to do it. He said drill all six hole's at once. But if you do it like that,, if you get just one hole off a little,,, you're screwed. And not in a good way.

A little taping action.

Argo recommends beveling the edge of the starter gear for ease of installation.

When you go to put the gear into the sprag, you have to turn it in the correct direction to get it to go in.

Here's the finished product. The procedure was pretty straight forward. No problem's at all.

Here's the first time trying the mod.

Do you guy's think this video makes me look fat.

CalsXS2 screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 08:50 PM
CalsXS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

reserved.

CalsXS2 screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 08:07 PM
Old 08-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 4,938
Whazzat sprag outta?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I need a little help from you guy's.

Have any of you had your starter clutch out.

I'm not sure if this is an issue or not. But on my big starter gear, the bushing sticks out .50mm past flush of the hub. It's on the side that the shim is on.

I have 2 different gear's and they are both like this.

Is this normal. I hope you can tell what I'm talking about.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Whazzat sprag outta?
I don't know.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
farmrjohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I picked one up from him just after I got my TX. It's a Borg/Warner starter clutch that he's modified to fit the TX. I haven't installed mine yet as the stock starter is still working, but did get a spare "generator" that will need six holes machined to take the Borg/Warner unit instead of the stock starter, just haven't taken the time to do it. Having a lot of small engaging cylinders vs. the three the stock unit has seems much better in theory so that's on the list when the stock one craps out.
farmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,014
Yup,you TX750 guys need to stick together.

Ive got a nice valve cover and maybe some other odds and ends here still.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
jimroid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
This flywheel/starter clutch looks identical to the TX/XS500. A sprag clutch allows the starter to drive the engine,but not let the engine spin the starter.The oblong bearings grab in one direction and then are pushed clear by small springs so it does not drag once the engine starts.One-way clutches are found all over in industry.
jimroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok guy's. I'm all finished. Everything went very smooth. I'm very pleased with the mod.

I must admit though. When I pulled the starter clutch off, it didn't look like there was anything wrong with it. I had rebuilt it a few month's ago. When I took it apart then,,, piece's were broke, missing, and falling out.

So basically. I thought I wasted $100 on this mod, and was going to have to change my starter. But it was the starter clutch.

Please feel free to ask any question's, and leave some input. Let me know if I need to add or change anything.

I've sent a link to Argo. Hopefully he will join in. He was a very good guy to work with. Communication was spectacular.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
farmrjohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Nice tutorial, thanks. I agree about communications with Argo, and looking forward to him posting here, he has a lot of knowledge for the TX750.
farmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #11
far2389
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Argo any plans to make them for sale?

Nice writeup on this mod - thanks

Any idea if Argo planning on making and selling some of these? Quite a few of us TX750 guys out there with toasted starter clutches getting tired of kick starting. I had a batch of the r65 oil filter adapters machined couple of years ago and sold them quickly. Based on the number of oil filter adapters I sold Argo could sell a bunch.
far2389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #12
appiebroomer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Nice Job Calvin. Thanks for posting. How did you find Argo ?
appiebroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #13
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2389 View Post
Nice writeup on this mod - thanks

Any idea if Argo planning on making and selling some of these? Quite a few of us TX750 guys out there with toasted starter clutches getting tired of kick starting. I had a batch of the r65 oil filter adapters machined couple of years ago and sold them quickly. Based on the number of oil filter adapters I sold Argo could sell a bunch.
Yes. He is going to be selling these. The one above he calls a pre-series. Very expensive to make. He did a small handful just for research and development.

He now has a less expensive unit in beta testing. I'm not sure if he has anything for sale at this exact moment or not. I think he might.

Hopefully he'll be along soon and join in, or start his own thread and introduce himself.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiebroomer View Post
Nice Job Calvin. Thanks for posting. How did you find Argo ?
I found him on youtube.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #15
argo1974
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hi there guys! Calvin was kind enough to invite me joining that thread. At first, I'd like to thank him for detailed pics/instructions about installation procedure of the modified starter clutch.

This one way bearing is called Borg Warner type since that company invented and patented it back then. That's why Japanese manufactures continued using the out-dated and fragile 3 roller starter clutches on their bikes at 70-ties.

Both of the two starter clutches I sold to US (John (farmrjohn) and Calvin (CalsXS2)) were pre-series as I call them. They already have the updated inner bearing bodies since first prototypes were just machined by hand with standard size engaging rollers fitted.

The new design is very similar to pre-series unit but I was able to drop the costs by simplifying the machining and hardening procedure of the outer ring. I'm still testing the new version, especially with the spring tightness of the one way bearing. This is because most of you guys will use it together with more or less worn (out of specs) starter gear.
I think I will have the tests completed within 4 weeks. Our summer is short in Estonia, so I really don't like messing around with metalwork when I could ride my bikes instead ;)
Here are my two 73" Yamaha TX750:
http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/file...qr-cu-f5f8.jpg
http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/file...qr-cr-9a96.jpg

That one on first pic is taken to bits and pieces for complete restoration and engine mods though.

Argo

argo1974 screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 01:11 PM
argo1974 is offline   Reply With Quote