ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #16
Dbear
Hanging on
 
Dbear's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: 900 feet above Route 100
Oddometer: 14,857
Touch my tools, lose your jewels.
Dbear is offline  
Old 03-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #17
johnjen OP
I've Been Resigned
 
johnjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 15,512
WHAT?
So reading comprehension must be way over rated?
It makes perfect sense to me…

JJ
__________________
• The hidden harmony is found with joy, while the obvious brings indifference.
• The farther you enter into the Truth the deeper your conviction for truth must be.
• There is understanding of the world precisely to the degree that there is understanding of the Self.

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline  
Old 03-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #18
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave
 
Ricardo Kuhn's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Salt lake city, Utah
Oddometer: 12,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
WHAT?
So reading comprehension must be way over rated?
It makes perfect sense to me…

JJ
yeah maybe you are right, since most of the time I don't even understand my own self..


so mister John...

I think we need a little more clarity on the porpuse of this forum..


Is this forum about the tools for the garage, the million stupid tyre rants (I think we need a whole forum just for silly tyre questions) or about how to do and fix things when they are broken, need attencion or even build you own crap...!?!?


So can you please explain the specific porpuse of this space and enforce the regulations so we have a productive forum and not some diluted, contaminated soup of nothingness
__________________
I'm looking for a cheap battery for my 11GS so I can get her running again..
Ricardo Kuhn is offline  
Old 03-05-2007, 05:19 PM   #19
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound
 
Waco's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 14,971
So what happened to the all the posts from Blood, Sweat, and Gears? Are they still available for searches or have they been deleted?
__________________
Support the AMA.
Waco is offline  
Old 03-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #20
Lone Rider
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: out and about
Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
So what happened to the all the posts from Blood, Sweat, and Gears? Are they still available for searches or have they been deleted?
Moved to whatever forum deemed as 'specific' for the bike in question. Yeah, some of them weren't bike specific, but just shine it on...
Lone Rider is offline  
Old 03-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #21
johnjen OP
I've Been Resigned
 
johnjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 15,512
with perhaps <10 exceptions EVERY post was moved to a new home. As I offered previously if the thread has merit it can be moved back (or to some other forum if that is desired).

JJ
__________________
• The hidden harmony is found with joy, while the obvious brings indifference.
• The farther you enter into the Truth the deeper your conviction for truth must be.
• There is understanding of the world precisely to the degree that there is understanding of the Self.

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline  
Old 03-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #22
johnjen OP
I've Been Resigned
 
johnjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 15,512
This is my intrepretation of The Garage. It isn't meant as a definitive nor complete description. It does capture how I see it though.

To me The Garage is about the art of wrenching and the collected wisdom, experience and knowledge that gets accumulated along the way. It's a place where those who have something to share (or have a need for others to share) can deal with a general mechanical question. It's meant as a catch all for those projects (like golem) that don't really fit into the 'regular' bike forums. It's also a place where those 'experts' among us can bring up topics and exchange ideas, experiences and the like in order to come to a better understanding of the subject of the thread etc.

In short it's kind of a virtual garage where 'special projects' are being discussed or worked on and various people show up from time to time and 'help out'. Where the latest 'discovery' is shared and insight is sought.

It is NOT about specifc bike or related equipment projects (those that the existing forums already cover). It's more general in nature and covers the exceptions (again like golum). So no it isn't the place for the 'How do I wire up my new horns' or 'what is the best tire for me' threads.

I kinda like the description of where master wrenches congrigate and swap stories and such (yes humorous stories are very welcome too).

I hope this helps.

JJ


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
yeah maybe you are right, since most of the time I don't even understand my own self..


so mister John...

I think we need a little more clarity on the porpuse of this forum..


Is this forum about the tools for the garage, the million stupid tyre rants (I think we need a whole forum just for silly tyre questions) or about how to do and fix things when they are broken, need attencion or even build you own crap...!?!?


So can you please explain the specific porpuse of this space and enforce the regulations so we have a productive forum and not some diluted, contaminated soup of nothingness
__________________
• The hidden harmony is found with joy, while the obvious brings indifference.
• The farther you enter into the Truth the deeper your conviction for truth must be.
• There is understanding of the world precisely to the degree that there is understanding of the Self.

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline  
Old 03-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #23
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave
 
Ricardo Kuhn's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Salt lake city, Utah
Oddometer: 12,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
This is my intrepretation of The Garage. It isn't meant as a definitive nor complete description. It does capture how I see it though.

To me The Garage is about the art of wrenching and the collected wisdom, experience and knowledge that gets accumulated along the way. It's a place where those who have something to share (or have a need for others to share) can deal with a general mechanical question. It's meant as a catch all for those projects (like golem) that don't really fit into the 'regular' bike forums. It's also a place where those 'experts' among us can bring up topics and exchange ideas, experiences and the like in order to come to a better understanding of the subject of the thread etc.

In short it's kind of a virtual garage where 'special projects' are being discussed or worked on and various people show up from time to time and 'help out'. Where the latest 'discovery' is shared and insight is sought.

It is NOT about specifc bike or related equipment projects (those that the existing forums already cover). It's more general in nature and covers the exceptions (again like golum). So no it isn't the place for the 'How do I wire up my new horns' or 'what is the best tire for me' threads.

I kinda like the description of where master wrenches congrigate and swap stories and such (yes humorous stories are very welcome too).

I hope this helps.

JJ
wow this is going to be my new favorite forum for sure.


as long as does not deviate like R-dubb GPS forum (From GPS Tracks > to what is the hot stuff this week and were I can get it cheaper) and end up becoming a "what tyre do it need for this or what" or were I can find cheap tools...

The way i see it is somehow a "Intelectual" forum were we will explore concepts and ideas as oppose to brand, price hunting and trends, plus we will really make them happend, aka Not a POSSER hangout or farcke heaven or whatever like the GS forum has become, but a place for guys like CRepper to Creep arround taking about his fancy Modes..
__________________
I'm looking for a cheap battery for my 11GS so I can get her running again..
Ricardo Kuhn is offline  
Old 03-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #24
Tollster
Jammer Jay
 
Tollster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Pennsyltucky
Oddometer: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
This is my intrepretation of The Garage. It isn't meant as a definitive nor complete description. It does capture how I see it though.

To me The Garage is about the art of wrenching and the collected wisdom, experience and knowledge that gets accumulated along the way. It's a place where those who have something to share (or have a need for others to share) can deal with a general mechanical question. It's meant as a catch all for those projects (like golem) that don't really fit into the 'regular' bike forums. It's also a place where those 'experts' among us can bring up topics and exchange ideas, experiences and the like in order to come to a better understanding of the subject of the thread etc.

In short it's kind of a virtual garage where 'special projects' are being discussed or worked on and various people show up from time to time and 'help out'. Where the latest 'discovery' is shared and insight is sought.

It is NOT about specifc bike or related equipment projects (those that the existing forums already cover). It's more general in nature and covers the exceptions (again like golum). So no it isn't the place for the 'How do I wire up my new horns' or 'what is the best tire for me' threads.

I kinda like the description of where master wrenches congrigate and swap stories and such (yes humorous stories are very welcome too).

I hope this helps.

JJ
I cannot believe you have to explain the garage. I believe some should have been out turning wrenches rather that attending some ivory league school studing debate, the world would be a much better place
__________________
Nothings possible, until its done!
If ya can't afford the fine, take the lead.
Pain is weakness leaving the body!
If you haven't crashed, you're not riding to potential!.
Tollster is offline  
Old 03-06-2007, 05:08 AM   #25
hoggjaww
DOG ASS
 
hoggjaww's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Westlake La.
Oddometer: 734
So would tis be the forum?

So, is this where I would start a thread about bringing this bike back to life? (stripping, bracing and coating the frame, suspension options, wiring, etc.) or does this belong in Old School? I don't plan on starting a new thread for each phase of the build but if the "Masters" would care to to follow, I am quite sure their input would be appreciated.

Harry




hoggjaww screwed with this post 03-06-2007 at 05:25 AM
hoggjaww is offline  
Old 03-06-2007, 05:23 AM   #26
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound
 
Waco's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggjaww
So, is this where I would start a thread about bringing this bike back to life? (stripping, bracing and coating the frame, suspension options, wiring, etc.) or does this belong in Old School? I don't plan on starting a new thread for each phase of the build but if the "Masters" would care to to follow, I am quite sure their input would bee appreciated.

Harry



That looks way old school to me.
__________________
Support the AMA.
Waco is offline  
Old 03-06-2007, 06:58 AM   #27
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist
 
R3B's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Het Heuvelland aka: The Dutch Mountains
Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
Is this forum about the tools for the garage, the million stupid tyre rants (I think we need a whole forum just for silly tyre questions) or about how to do and fix things when they are broken, need attencion or even build you own crap...!?!?
Thats why i proposed to make sub-fora inside The Garage, so one can easily wander through the specific items, which could spare us from al the wading through the FAQ's who turn up because people don't see the answers hidden in the large cesspool of posting about anything.

So whats against a bit of Structure in The Garage so one can find the gear or tool one is searching for instantly?

On your harddisk it's so easy to bring in a little (automated) structure, so why not in a forum, it's so much more fun working in a nice and tidy garage ! (so why o why isn't my garage nice and tidy ???)
__________________
Every Adventure big or small
................*is* an Adventure all in all.
.........................So every day: Give in to the call

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline  
Old 03-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #28
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist
 
R3B's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Het Heuvelland aka: The Dutch Mountains
Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollster
I cannot believe you have to explain the garage. I believe some should have been out turning wrenches rather that attending some ivory league school studing debate, the world would be a much better place
Witout debate we would still live in trees, teh sharing and discussing of thoughts made our thoughts more clear, and the sharing of knowledge commenced till where we are now
__________________
Every Adventure big or small
................*is* an Adventure all in all.
.........................So every day: Give in to the call

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline  
Old 03-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #29
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave
 
Ricardo Kuhn's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Salt lake city, Utah
Oddometer: 12,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollster
I cannot believe you have to explain the garage. I believe some should have been out turning wrenches rather that attending some ivory league school studing debate, the world would be a much better place
Well for the same reason that somebody can be a Amazing Welder and have no idea of design or the other way around were you can have amazing understanding of bigger pictures stuff but have no idea how to weld...

Remenber just because you know how to make brick walls does not make you a Arquitect.

And YEs I did go to a "ivory Tower" School for about Nine years and I'm really glad it happend that way, since I learn how to think of concepts more than imidiate solutions.
__________________
I'm looking for a cheap battery for my 11GS so I can get her running again..
Ricardo Kuhn is offline  
Old 03-06-2007, 08:20 AM   #30
Tollster
Jammer Jay
 
Tollster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Pennsyltucky
Oddometer: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Witout debate we would still live in trees, teh sharing and discussing of thoughts made our thoughts more clear, and the sharing of knowledge commenced till where we are now
Now that is debatable
__________________
Nothings possible, until its done!
If ya can't afford the fine, take the lead.
Pain is weakness leaving the body!
If you haven't crashed, you're not riding to potential!.
Tollster is offline  
Closed Thread

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014