Hanging on

Oddometer: 14,857
Touch my tools, lose your jewels.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #17
johnjen OP
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,512
WHAT?
So reading comprehension must be way over rated?
It makes perfect sense to me…

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
Old 03-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #18
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
WHAT?
So reading comprehension must be way over rated?
It makes perfect sense to me…

JJ
yeah maybe you are right, since most of the time I don't even understand my own self..

so mister John...

I think we need a little more clarity on the porpuse of this forum..

Is this forum about the tools for the garage, the million stupid tyre rants (I think we need a whole forum just for silly tyre questions) or about how to do and fix things when they are broken, need attencion or even build you own crap...!?!?

So can you please explain the specific porpuse of this space and enforce the regulations so we have a productive forum and not some diluted, contaminated soup of nothingness
Old 03-05-2007, 05:19 PM   #19
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
So what happened to the all the posts from Blood, Sweat, and Gears? Are they still available for searches or have they been deleted?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #20
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
So what happened to the all the posts from Blood, Sweat, and Gears? Are they still available for searches or have they been deleted?
Moved to whatever forum deemed as 'specific' for the bike in question. Yeah, some of them weren't bike specific, but just shine it on...
Old 03-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #21
johnjen OP
I've Been Resigned

with perhaps <10 exceptions EVERY post was moved to a new home. As I offered previously if the thread has merit it can be moved back (or to some other forum if that is desired).

JJ

WingMakers.com
Old 03-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #22
johnjen OP
I've Been Resigned

This is my intrepretation of The Garage. It isn't meant as a definitive nor complete description. It does capture how I see it though.

To me The Garage is about the art of wrenching and the collected wisdom, experience and knowledge that gets accumulated along the way. It's a place where those who have something to share (or have a need for others to share) can deal with a general mechanical question. It's meant as a catch all for those projects (like golem) that don't really fit into the 'regular' bike forums. It's also a place where those 'experts' among us can bring up topics and exchange ideas, experiences and the like in order to come to a better understanding of the subject of the thread etc.

In short it's kind of a virtual garage where 'special projects' are being discussed or worked on and various people show up from time to time and 'help out'. Where the latest 'discovery' is shared and insight is sought.

It is NOT about specifc bike or related equipment projects (those that the existing forums already cover). It's more general in nature and covers the exceptions (again like golum). So no it isn't the place for the 'How do I wire up my new horns' or 'what is the best tire for me' threads.

I kinda like the description of where master wrenches congrigate and swap stories and such (yes humorous stories are very welcome too).

I hope this helps.

JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
yeah maybe you are right, since most of the time I don't even understand my own self..

so mister John...

I think we need a little more clarity on the porpuse of this forum..

Is this forum about the tools for the garage, the million stupid tyre rants (I think we need a whole forum just for silly tyre questions) or about how to do and fix things when they are broken, need attencion or even build you own crap...!?!?

So can you please explain the specific porpuse of this space and enforce the regulations so we have a productive forum and not some diluted, contaminated soup of nothingness

WingMakers.com
Old 03-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #23
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
This is my intrepretation of The Garage. It isn't meant as a definitive nor complete description. It does capture how I see it though.

To me The Garage is about the art of wrenching and the collected wisdom, experience and knowledge that gets accumulated along the way. It's a place where those who have something to share (or have a need for others to share) can deal with a general mechanical question. It's meant as a catch all for those projects (like golem) that don't really fit into the 'regular' bike forums. It's also a place where those 'experts' among us can bring up topics and exchange ideas, experiences and the like in order to come to a better understanding of the subject of the thread etc.

In short it's kind of a virtual garage where 'special projects' are being discussed or worked on and various people show up from time to time and 'help out'. Where the latest 'discovery' is shared and insight is sought.

It is NOT about specifc bike or related equipment projects (those that the existing forums already cover). It's more general in nature and covers the exceptions (again like golum). So no it isn't the place for the 'How do I wire up my new horns' or 'what is the best tire for me' threads.

I kinda like the description of where master wrenches congrigate and swap stories and such (yes humorous stories are very welcome too).

I hope this helps.

JJ
wow this is going to be my new favorite forum for sure.

as long as does not deviate like R-dubb GPS forum (From GPS Tracks > to what is the hot stuff this week and were I can get it cheaper) and end up becoming a "what tyre do it need for this or what" or were I can find cheap tools...

The way i see it is somehow a "Intelectual" forum were we will explore concepts and ideas as oppose to brand, price hunting and trends, plus we will really make them happend, aka Not a POSSER hangout or farcke heaven or whatever like the GS forum has become, but a place for guys like CRepper to Creep arround taking about his fancy Modes..
Old 03-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #24
Tollster
Jammer Jay

Oddometer: 2,067
Quote:

I hope this helps.

JJ
I cannot believe you have to explain the garage. I believe some should have been out turning wrenches rather that attending some ivory league school studing debate, the world would be a much better place
If you haven't crashed, you're not riding to potential!.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:08 AM   #25
hoggjaww
DOG ASS

Oddometer: 734
So would tis be the forum?

So, is this where I would start a thread about bringing this bike back to life? (stripping, bracing and coating the frame, suspension options, wiring, etc.) or does this belong in Old School? I don't plan on starting a new thread for each phase of the build but if the "Masters" would care to to follow, I am quite sure their input would be appreciated.

Harry

hoggjaww screwed with this post 03-06-2007 at 05:25 AM
Old 03-06-2007, 05:23 AM   #26
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggjaww
So, is this where I would start a thread about bringing this bike back to life? (stripping, bracing and coating the frame, suspension options, wiring, etc.) or does this belong in Old School? I don't plan on starting a new thread for each phase of the build but if the "Masters" would care to to follow, I am quite sure their input would bee appreciated.

Harry

That looks way old school to me.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:58 AM   #27
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
Thats why i proposed to make sub-fora inside The Garage, so one can easily wander through the specific items, which could spare us from al the wading through the FAQ's who turn up because people don't see the answers hidden in the large cesspool of posting about anything.

So whats against a bit of Structure in The Garage so one can find the gear or tool one is searching for instantly?

On your harddisk it's so easy to bring in a little (automated) structure, so why not in a forum, it's so much more fun working in a nice and tidy garage ! (so why o why isn't my garage nice and tidy ???)

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
Old 03-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #28
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollster
I cannot believe you have to explain the garage. I believe some should have been out turning wrenches rather that attending some ivory league school studing debate, the world would be a much better place
Witout debate we would still live in trees, teh sharing and discussing of thoughts made our thoughts more clear, and the sharing of knowledge commenced till where we are now

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
Old 03-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #29
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollster
Well for the same reason that somebody can be a Amazing Welder and have no idea of design or the other way around were you can have amazing understanding of bigger pictures stuff but have no idea how to weld...

Remenber just because you know how to make brick walls does not make you a Arquitect.

And YEs I did go to a "ivory Tower" School for about Nine years and I'm really glad it happend that way, since I learn how to think of concepts more than imidiate solutions.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:20 AM   #30
Tollster
Jammer Jay

Oddometer: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Witout debate we would still live in trees, teh sharing and discussing of thoughts made our thoughts more clear, and the sharing of knowledge commenced till where we are now
Now that is debatable
If you haven't crashed, you're not riding to potential!.
Closed Thread