User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2015, 09:13 PM   #1
D.T. OP
Up in this MF'er!

Oddometer: 10,692
Electronic sensitivity

I had a water level probe shit the bed on me last night at work. $400 part seems to be junk. I installed it with the main power off, but when it failed to work I disconnected it and then reconnected it. Now it has seemed to short out a display circuit when connected.

Boss not too happy.

Gets me wondering, how can some circuits get "fried" when connected hot. Most recommend killing power when changing circuit boards and using ESD bags etc, ground straps and other things to avoid damaging expensive circuit boards.

Just trying to wrap my head around this...
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:10 PM   #2
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,793
You disconnected and reconnected a sensor on a live system? Unless it's specifically designed to be connected hot (generally ground first, then power, then logic), you take a chance of sending voltage spikes through things that aren't expecting them.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
D.T. OP
Up in this MF'er!

Oddometer: 10,692
We are thinking the main board may be the problem since the probe was defected when hooked up correctly the first time.

Funny how one thing can F up your whole day.

More reading to do...

http://www.learnemc.com/tutorials/Tr...t-protect.html
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:13 PM   #4
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,793
At a minimum, if proper ESD procedures can't be followed (lack of equipment, training, time, asshole boss, etc.) make sure you ground yourself to the chassis of whatever you're working on before you grab anything. At least get the big zap out of the way first. Winter is worse, because dry air leads to more static, but some fabrics will build up static charge no matter what time of year they're worn.

I watched a dumbass rent-a-tech smoke a board in a postage meter a bunch of years ago. It was malfunctioning, so he pulled the covers off while it was plugged in and turned on, then stuck a screwdriver to the logic board. I heard a snap and saw a puff of smoke, and he said, "I think the board is bad." No shit, Sherlock, you just shorted it. Fortunately it was under contract, so his company had to eat the board he blew.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote