User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Camarodude OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Has anyone used TruFuel???

It states that it is Ethanol free, with synthetic 2 cycle oil. The first time I used it, I thought "that's a different smell" but can't place what it is. Definitely not petro! Any ideas what it is?
Camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,336
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...7027bff0ec.pdf

Gasoline + 2T oil + fuel stabilizer (the part of the mix that you're smelling)
Why are you paying over $20/gallon for fuel?

k-moe screwed with this post 09-01-2014 at 06:10 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,130
I'm not sure how far back the OP's sense of smell goes back with gasoline, but it changed in the late 90's. The Government (you know, those guys who are always trying to protect us from ourselves... for our own good) required adding a noxious odor to gasoline to stop huffing. Gasoline (unaltered) smells a bit like toluene or other solvents, which has a paint thinner type smell (IMO, I think it smelled better than most solvents).

Rural areas sell non-ethanol standard gasoline at the pump. Mixing any two-stroke oil with standard gasoline and adding a fuel stabilizer will out perform TruFuel for stability and storage. But, there is nothing wrong with TruFuel.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,186
I run it in my string trimmer, 40:1, no problems after going through several cans. I get about 3 fillups per can. Only premix tool I run. Nice not to have to stop at one store for bottles of oil then to the gas station for a fillup.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,441
I run it. I don't use the chain saw that much so I like not having to worry about anything. I figure it is about $35/gallon.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,336
But...but....StaBil....mix it yourself...$4.00 gallon total.....

I went into the wrong business
Old 09-03-2014, 03:57 AM   #7
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,810
Stabil and E10 premix that sits still goes to hell pretty quickly. But I have a can of TruFuel well over a year old that still runs my rarely used string trimmer perfectly. Plus I like having it there ready for emergency chainsaw use.

I wouldn't think of it for my MXC. That bike uses more fuel than my truck. But the canned stuff works great for occasionally used tools. Zero starting issues since switching to it no matter how long the fuel sits on a shelf.

Worth the extra few bucks to not clean a carb the rare times I need to run a fuel sipping tool.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 09-03-2014 at 04:03 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:06 AM   #8
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
But...but....StaBil....mix it yourself...$4.00 gallon total.....

I went into the wrong business
Yea, it is a bit of a rip off but I think it is worth it because the closest place that sells ethanol free fuel is about an hour away. I am at Home Depot on almost a daily basis, so I can just buy a can while I am there.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:13 AM   #9
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
I've run it, can't say I cared for it. Definitely required readjusting the carburetor on the chainsaw, and there was an appreciable power reduction over using a high octane gasoline. Did not use it in the string trimmer. All in all, not worthwhile to me for my use.

Where I have considered it is as a backup or emergency fuel supply on the street bike. As in carry a can of their 4-stroke fuel for a one time emergency use. Their metal can seals well and that has some appeal to me in my saddle bag. No leaks, no smells. That said, I still haven't done it.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #10
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
The Government (you know, those guys who are always trying to protect us from ourselves... for our own good) required adding a noxious odor to gasoline to stop huffing.
Do you have a reference for this?

I'd not heard of it before, and after a bit of searching haven't found any mention online of refiners adding odorants to gasoline; or any evidence of a government mandate that they do so.
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
Do you have a reference for this?

I'd not heard of it before, and after a bit of searching haven't found any mention online of refiners adding odorants to gasoline; or any evidence of a government mandate that they do so.
Sounds like he's mixed the addition of Mercaptan to natural gas with gasoline. I.e.; gas is gas.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,130
Maybe I am full of shit? Why does aviation fuel not smell like pump gas - is it not also gasoline? Maybe my sense of smell is completely different from anyone else?

The best I got for reference, which would be a good lead for those inquiring minds is: http://thecarguy.com/articles/gasoline.htm

Also, just as a comment, storing regular 'pump gas' in a metal gas can (good luck finding one of those any more) will extend the gas shelf life considerably. The plastic gas cans are HDPE which acts as a molecular sieve allowing gasoline vapors to pass and oxygen to enter. It's the interaction of gasoline (or what it is composed of now with pump gas) with air that causes decomposition.

But seriously, no one realized they changed the pump gas back in the 90's?

Edit: here is some links to the EPA for reformulated gas
http://www.epa.gov/OTAQ/fuels/gasoli.../rfg/index.htm
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels/gasoli.../rfg/areas.htm

There are many places in the US which don't sell RFG, so my experience may not match theirs. In which case, putting pump gas in a metal can with some 2stroke oil and Stabil will be much more economical than TruFuel. Which then raises the question why anyone in those areas would even consider TruFuel. Nope, too many questions to continue this dialog.

Stan_R80/7 screwed with this post 09-03-2014 at 10:58 AM Reason: added links
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Why does aviation fuel not smell like pump gas - is it not also gasoline?
No, i'ts not the same. Many still contain lead, few contain any ethanol, generally the octane rating is substantially higher, etc. Avgas is appreciably different than automotive gasoline.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #14
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 549
Our small rural fire department has gone to using TruFuel in all of our small engines (Jaws, chainsaws, chopsaws, potable pumps, etc.) due to the problems we were having getting these items started when we needed them (due to ethanol mix gas, carb issues, etc.). Imagine a wreck with a bunch of Firefighters standing around the Jaws trying to pull start it with no luck, someone trapped in the vehicle screaming, bystanders, etc.= bad scene! With the TruFuel we have found things start without a problem.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #15
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
But seriously, no one realized they changed the pump gas back in the 90's?
No, I was aware of reformulated gas. Your earlier comment was just the first I had ever heard about odorant being added to gasoline to prevent huffing.

It's entirely possible that the smell of pump gas changed along with the composition, but I suspect that was a side effect of the changes rather than a goal.
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote