User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #1
vwboomer OP
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,296
slipper....rekluse....

I had a slipper clutch in my GasGas FSE450. It was pretty sweet. I've got a Rekluse in my exc300, yz426, and Adventure 950.Very sweet.

Can a fella put a Rekluse into a slipper clutch? Tried Googling but got only comparisons between the two.

Sure would be nice not having to choose between the two if I wanted to use a bike for supermoto and dirt
Old 08-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
vwboomer OP
Buffoon

Nobody can figure if it would work or not? Or its just too stupid of a question?
Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM   #3
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Slippers work with ramps built into the clutch hub and pressure plate to relieve pressure on the clutch plates when under deceleration. Its that negative torque which makes the pressure plate ride up the ramp, taking pressure off the clutch pack, allowing the clutch to slip.

Rekluses work with ball bearings on radial tapered grooves between the pressure plate and top clutch plate to apply increasing pressure onto the clutch pack as the engine revs increase. The balls ride up the grooves due to centrifugal force, the groove gets shallower towards the outside of the pressure plate so pushes the top plate harder against the clutch pack.

I guess you could combine the two......
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:27 AM   #4
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
So you want to botch downshifts and don't want to have to use the clutch to get moving?
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM   #5
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Sounds like he wants a CVT.
Also guarantee it can never be roll started.

I have never ridden with either. I just use my clutch lever as it was made to be used.

Best I can tell would be to look and see if the parts for each kit are exclusive of each other. Say if both require there own propritery clutch basket, won't work.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM   #6
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
I had a slipper clutch in my GasGas FSE450.
A bit offtopic but how was the FSE? I'm considering getting an 07 but it's a rare bike where I am and there is little online info. Wondering about reliability first and foremost and after that handling and power. Thanks for any insights.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM   #7
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

I have had Rekluses on my off road bikes, makes them easier to ride when tired and less chance of them dragging you into trouble. Also easier to use a left hand rear brake.

I have also ridden supermoto race bikes with slippers. So much easier to control corner entry, far better than feathering the clutch.
Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM   #8
vwboomer OP
Buffoon

Tendinitis makes clutching difficult for me. The Rekluse makes that a non issue. The pull on my yz426 was bad before, which is why I had to put the Rekluse in. Now it's fun to ride. But the clutch pull is even worse now which means blipping and downshifting and less controlled rear sliding on pavement.
On a modern hydraulic unit it would be nice to combine the best of both worlds. And since super moto is rare for me (done 2 track days and a race tomorrow) it would be best not to have two bikes

The pull on the FSE450 was as light as if the clutch had no fluid - it used a trials bike set up. It was and remains an extremely rare bike here as well. Likely the only one in the state or at least one of few. Good power, very smooth from bottom to top. No big hit of power. Suspension was too soft for me but worked ok. Generally reliable but some relays in the air box caused issues until the problem was tracked down. It got ridden and abused. Granted there is a 4 year difference between what you are looking at and the one I had.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM   #9
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

An advantage of the KTM slipper I had fitted to the 450 SXS is the clutch pull was super light. Thats because the ramps drive the plates harder together under acceleration so no need for heavy clutch springs.