User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #1561
Gringacho
Una Aventura Loca

Oddometer: 739
Question;

If your only planning on welding steel and using the TIG process, are there any advantages of spending upwards of 1k on a TIG machine when you can just convert a "buzz box" stick welder for less than $200 to TIG weld with?
Gringacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #1562
fxstbiluigi
aka Road Monster

Oddometer: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringacho
Question;

If your only planning on welding steel and using the TIG process, are there any advantages of spending upwards of 1k on a TIG machine when you can just convert a "buzz box" stick welder for less than $200 to TIG weld with?
What are you calling a "buzz Box" to me that is an old lincoln, or similar, that is capable of A/C only welding current. I didn't know there is a conversion kit to make that type of machine capable of D/C welding current. Can you post a link on info about the conversion kit?

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke

fxstbiluigi screwed with this post 10-05-2010 at 04:12 PM
fxstbiluigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #1563
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,604

I think I've seen ads for a TIG conversion box with an internal rectifier to convert the AC to DC.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #1564
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,458
Quote:
Question;

The biggest advantage of a "high faluting" Tig machine is the "soft start" or high frequency start. I welded a ton of stainless steel in a fab shop using an arc welder that used a simple switch on the torch to turn the gas on via a selanoid. You simply used a "scratch start" method to start the arc. Hell, I didn't even get a pedal to control my amperage, just set the machine and go. All of that Old School stuff aside, a soft start and pedal are nice......
Old 10-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #1565
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,741
Quote:
Question;

Here's short article on it if it helps:

http://www.mig-welders-tig-welder.co...rsion-kits.htm

I'm sure there are many advantages to "spending upwards of 1k on a TIG machine", but if you want to try TIG welding, having a converted buzz box is much better than having nothing. Another option would be to find a used TIG unit. A few years back I found an old Lincoln unit for $500 that had high frequency start and included everything I needed. That's how I learned to TIG.

The guy I later sold it to was an excellent welder. When he tested it out he laid down some coin welds that absolutely put my welding to shame. Like most things that require a lot of skill, it has more to do with the person than the equipment [with the exception of those worthless Harbor Freight units; I could make better welds with a coat hanger and a malfunctioning toaster]
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #1566
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,604

I was just gonna suggest he get a Harbor Freight TIG welder.

This one works fine. I'm as good a welder on this as I am a Syncrowave 250, not using any of the fancy settings on the Miller that is.

Image below doesn't show it but it comes with a TIG torch.
http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...der-66787.html

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:44 AM   #1567
Gringacho
Una Aventura Loca

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by road ranger
What are you calling a "buzz Box" to me that is an old lincoln,
I was referring to an old Lincoln or the like, yet AC/DC, so I'm not schooled up or familiar with any conversion kit for AC only.

The reason for the question is I'm into heavy industrial construction management and I witness guys (professionals I must say) all the time laying down some beautiful TIG welds on steel pipe by swapping polarity on a machine like a miller xmt or a big diesel machine and just hooking up the argon and striking an arc by moving the filler against the tungsten in a fast motion like lighting a match. I've never really been around one of the "fancy" TIG rigs with all the bells and whistles so I wasn't sure why all the hoopla.

Couple of guys here at work actually gave me a TIG torch and lead to hook everything up. One of the biggest tips they have given me is to learn to really try and master "walking" the cup. They told me to take a rounded object like the bottom of a plastic bottle and walk it up and down my leg while watching tv or sitting in a chair to help get the motion down.

My old man has an AC/DC 240V "buzz box" that he is willing to let me take off his hands and a regulator as he used to TIG this way. So all I would really need to start TIG welding would be a bottle of argon and the hoses.

I might even be able to talk one of welding rental companies here on the job into selling me a bottle filled with argon for the right price.

Gringacho screwed with this post 10-06-2010 at 05:51 AM
Gringacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:45 AM   #1568
fxstbiluigi
aka Road Monster

Quote:
I was referring to an old Lincoln or the like, yet AC/DC, so I'm not schooled up or familiar with any conversion kit for AC only.

The reason for the question is I'm into heavy industrial construction management and I witness guys (professionals I must say) all the time laying down some beautiful TIG welds on steel pipe by swapping polarity on a machine like a miller xmt or a big diesel machine and just hooking up the argon and striking an arc by moving the filler against the tungsten in a fast motion like lighting a match. I've never really been around one of the "fancy" TIG rigs with all the bells and whistles so I wasn't sure why all the hoopla.

Couple of guys here at work actually gave me a TIG torch and lead to hook everything up. One of the biggest tips they have given me is to learn to really try and master "walking" the cup. They told me to take a rounded object like the bottom of a plastic bottle and walk it up and down my leg while watching tv or sitting in a chair to help get the motion down.

My old man has an AC/DC 240V "buzz box" that he is willing to let me take off his hands and a regulator as he used to TIG this way. So all I would really need to start TIG welding would be a bottle of argon and the hoses.

I might even be able to talk one of welding rental companies here on the job into selling me a bottle filled with argon for the right price.
OK The machine you are talking about will do it.The TIG torch needs to be The neg. lead an the ground is positive.IIRC the mach. you are talking about dosent have much in the way of amperage adjusment so the arc is likely to be way to hot or way too cold. If ya can get one of them pipe welders to show you how to put a root in with the TIG torch. Pipe welders are without a doubt the best.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #1569
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
I've got a welding question. I'm trying to plan out how to construct an slightly offset sprocket. I'd like to weld an unhardened steel industrial sprocket blank onto a hardened motorcycle countershaft sprocket, then have the whole unit heat-treated.
Will welding the unhardened steel to the hardened steel present any problems? Thanks.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #1570
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,803
+1 on what Benesesso said in the first two paragraphs. I've been in more than a couple of shipyards in my USCG career, and the last ship I sailed on had a hardened steel wheelhouse (WW II veteran) as in armored protection. When the shipyard guys tried to simply cut out and weld new QAWTD units on the sides of the wheelhouse, they got all kinds of cracks in the hardened parent metal. It took enough extra work to draw the temper from that steel to get the doors welded in properly to modify the contract (again).

The other advice on heating, hardening and tempering is right on. Often local libraries will have some of the better textbooks with details of how to build heat treating equipment and how to judge temps by the color of the steel. Most of it is pretty simple and cheap once you get the idea of the basics. For example, a turkey fryer burner and a pile of fire brick can be made to work wonders heating workpieces to the temps needed. Or some books show how to make a simple propane burner that looks a lot like the ones used to heat tile or roofing. When stuck into a fire brick "oven" these work to heat smaller pieces quite well. Lots of ways to tackle the project; all of them good learning opportunities.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #1571
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,741
Can I weld 6061 to 3003? If so, would I use 4043 filler?
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #1572
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,217
Is there an easy way to determine which liner is installed in my Lincoln Weld-Pak 100?
Old 10-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #1573
fxstbiluigi
aka Road Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man
Is there an easy way to determine which liner is installed in my Lincoln Weld-Pak 100?
What does it look like?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #1574
fxstbiluigi
aka Road Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83
Can I weld 6061 to 3003? If so, would I use 4043 filler?
That will work.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #1575
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by road ranger
What does it look like?
Approximately the same as the .030 liner coiled up in the Lincoln plastic bag...