Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2007, 11:20 AM   #181
crooked roads
I'm back

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano 407
Opinion: Red.

Run gas on it (and shut the bottle off at the end of the session!) and experiment with wire size .025 or .030 depending on what you are playing with.

Nothing at all against the other brands. I have 4 blue machines and 17 red ones. The blue ones are fine, as I am sure the Hobarts are, but I like Red.

D
Hobart is Millers cheap line . They bought that name while back.
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:54 PM   #182
boyscout
sittin' down

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyscout
How can I tell whether a piece of aluminum scrap is weldable or not?
I found the answer to my question over at the Ask Andy Forum at Miller Motorsports. Turns out that even the "non-weldable" alloys are OK for practice. They weld pretty much the same as weldable alloys just that the weld is susceptible to cracking a failing after the weld.

Great forum by the way. A ton of information.

boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #183
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfranco
So I'm having my scotts damper tower welded on tommorrow and I just want to make sure I've got this right. I removed all the paint around the area to be welded, removed the tank and drained the carb and removed the battery. There is oil in the frame (KTM 640 Adventure) but the welding shop said it's not a problem.Anything else I've forgotten?
Thanks all. Nick
No, the oil in the frame will be OK. The welds that the tower require are small and should not burn the oil.

Make sure you measure twice and tack once. Unless you like using a grinder,

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #184
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,101
If I'm mig welding some body work on a car and I disconnect the battery, the electrical system is safe right?

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:21 AM   #185
krampus
get lost

Oddometer: 541

What we have here is the underside of a Guzzi Ambo tank. This shot is of the fairly flat bottom of the forward lobe. To date, there are no less than 10 holes. This is something of a beater bike, so concourse restoration isn't required. So what's the best solution?
My idea is to have my brother-in-law who is handy with an English (or maybe Sweedish?) wheel make up a plate to weld over the entire area, roughly the green outline.
Is there a better way?

"I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me."
H.S. Thompson
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:10 AM   #186
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Oddometer: 3,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54
If I'm mig welding some body work on a car and I disconnect the battery, the electrical system is safe right?
Keep a good, CLEAN, ground and keep it as close to the electrode as possible. That's always worked for me.

If you have any doubts, get a service manual for the vehicle and follow thier procedures.

Chris
KLboxeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:18 AM   #187
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus

What we have here is the underside of a Guzzi Ambo tank. This shot is of the fairly flat bottom of the forward lobe. To date, there are no less than 10 holes. This is something of a beater bike, so concourse restoration isn't required. So what's the best solution?
My idea is to have my brother-in-law who is handy with an English (or maybe Sweedish?) wheel make up a plate to weld over the entire area, roughly the green outline.
Is there a better way?
My thought would be to cut out the bigger holes and make a patch that can be slipped inside and attached to the outside using a series of overlapping tack welds or brazing rod. After welding, just grind it smooth and shape with body putty. The smaller holes can be brazed or tack welded shut. The key is to grind back to fresh metal.

Make the holes rectangular in shape so you can put an oversized patch inside and use a strong magnet to hold the patch in place while you weld it. You'll have to tack around the perimeter first so that the patch doesn't warp and pull away from the tank.

Chris

KLboxeR screwed with this post 07-03-2007 at 03:43 AM
Old 07-03-2007, 06:24 AM   #188
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,933
+1 on cutting back to sound metal and patching. Covering over with a doubler plate will just create a worsening corrosion situation between the old and new surfaces.

The old analogy of rust as cancer has some truth. ALways better to remove the rust, then patch up.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #189
krampus
get lost

Thanks for the info guys...very helpful. I went and saw my brother-in-law and agreed that some cutting and patching would be the best. We're gonna try to simply fill the holes first by building up some welds and grinding, he says it's worth a shot. If'n it don't work, then we cut and patch.
I got it down to bare metal and now there are now no less than 20 holes! I then went into the holes with a pointed Dremel grinding bit to remove the thining cancerous areas. Needless to say that there are probably untold numbers of other holes waiting to happen. I'm getting some Red Kote to finish off the job. Here's some updated photos.

"I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me."
H.S. Thompson
Old 07-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #190
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Keep us posted Tank repair is an art,

Chris
Old 07-04-2007, 02:46 AM   #191
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,757
Quote:
We're gonna try to simply fill the holes first by building up some welds and grinding, he says it's worth a shot. If'n it don't work, then we cut and patch.

Here's some updated photos.

How 'bout a Fuel Tank Repair thread?

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:58 AM   #192
krampus
get lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
How 'bout a Fuel Tank Repair thread?

I've got a similar thread In "Old School" under "F'd Guzzi tank. Your thoughts." that I'll follow up on as I progress, unless I need some more welding advice. This is my first serious tank refurbishing so this is your chance to watch a rookie in action!

H.S. Thompson
Old 07-04-2007, 11:07 AM   #193
hateithere
anytime now

Oddometer: 2,481
dillon torch

anybody out there with dillon/henrob/cobra welding skills or knowledge?
hateithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #194
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,757

Quote:
I've got a similar thread In "Old School" under "F'd Guzzi tank. Your thoughts." that I'll follow up on as I progress, unless I need some more welding advice. This is my first serious tank refurbishing so this is your chance to watch a rookie in action!
I'm there. And I must say that for a rookie you picked a heckuva debut project

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #195
openboatt
Don't harsh my mellow

Oddometer: 276
Sorry to ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave
Here is a question we see alot.

Home shop? Greatest overall versatility. And I have never laid a bead in my life. Mig or Stick? And yes shop is wired for 240.
But was this question answered? I'm in this boat... obt
openboatt is offline   Reply With Quote