Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 AM   #2131
DaBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung3 View Post
How do I weld aluminum?
I have tried welding aluminum bars and endup melting the welding stick and can not melt the stick on the aluminum bars.
You mean brazing/soldering the aluminium using rods like those Durafix ones?

First: clean, clean, clean, clean, and then clean some more. Manual wire brush with a STAINLESS brush, then wipe it with some acetone. Both the 'to be welded' parts and the aluminium soldering rod.

Next: heat the aluminium with the butane torch.

Then: when the parts are hot enough, remove the flame, and jam the brazing rod into the joint area. If it melts your aluminium is hot enough, if it doesn't: continue heating.

Now continue 'painting' the joint area with the brazing filler by scratching the rod over the surface. Just like you would color a piece of paper with a pencil. If things cool too much: remove rod, add heat, repeat.

Takes some getting used to and it's not easy, but I used these rods sucessfully.

Two warnings:
- Never point both the flame and the brazing rod to the same square centimeter of aluminium. It won't work.
- Once brazed, it can never be welded without completely removing the brazing filler first. As soon as an electric arc hits the brazing filler it will explode right in the welders' face.

Quote:
I am using a butane torch that is use for welding copper pipe for plumbing. Do I need some special torch?
No, usually not. A regular torch gets hot enough for brazing aluminium. Big parts require a big flame to get them hot enough, but that's obvious.
DaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 AM   #2132
DaBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
It is a personal thing unless you are welding stainless. Try welding depot.com for dirt cheap parts
I do stainless occasionally. It's a nice material for making various brackets. But OK, no problems using a gas lens setup all the time.
DaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #2133
ttzonk
n00b

Oddometer: 2
welding sp100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis53 View Post
Grizz, thanks for your response. I have taken the tip to several welding supply, Airgas, Praxair, etc., with no luck. I sent a email to Bernard.

I bought this Lincoln for the brand name and most important the support, which is not there.
Hey man Ive had an sp100 since 1987/use 2-3 large spools a year (love to play) I recently had it repaired and they replaced the stock lead with a Tweeco now it uses all standard easy to find stuff/I still use the old one alot since I fixed it (shorter,easier to use) Im trying to convert tip,if I figure it out ill let you know, Ron Madera Ca.
ttzonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #2134
ttzonk
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung3 View Post
How do I weld aluminum?

I have tried welding aluminum bars and endup melting the welding stick and can not melt the stick on the aluminum bars. I am using a butane torch that is use for welding copper pipe for plumbing.
Do I need some special torch or some special type of aluminum bar?

Thank's.
Ive done a little with my mig/but be prepared to ruin the liner learning also need to use argon gas,for the brase you can use MAP gas, its quite a bit hotter than butans if you need lots of heat, Ron Madera ca (ttzonk)
ttzonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #2135
jacob_ns
Helicopter Doctor

Oddometer: 231
So, I own a welder. A welder I have never used and have no idea how to use.

I was at Canadian Tire last year about picked up a Mig and Flux Core welder on sale for $199. I was going to use it to work on an old Jeep YJ I had but long story short, that Jeep ended up at the wrecker before I could do anything with it.

Where do you all suggest I start to learn to use this poor neglected piece of equipment?

edit; other than reading this thread of course
jacob_ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:37 AM   #2136
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttzonk View Post
Hey man Ive had an sp100 since 1987/use 2-3 large spools a year (love to play) I recently had it repaired and they replaced the stock lead with a Tweeco now it uses all standard easy to find stuff/I still use the old one alot since I fixed it (shorter,easier to use) Im trying to convert tip,if I figure it out ill let you know, Ron Madera Ca.
Bought my SP 100 around 85 when they first came out. I use it A LOT for a little welder. Maybe 2 or 3 10 lb. spools of wire a year. When I wore out the whip, I bought a Lincoln Magnum 100. Its great and been on the welder for 10 or so years. Screw on gas cone is much better than the old slide on style.

Nothing works better on automobile exhaust.

Davidf
Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #2137
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_ns View Post

I was at Canadian Tire last year about picked up a Mig and Flux Core welder on sale for $199. I was going to use it to work on an old Jeep YJ I had but long story short, that Jeep ended up at the wrecker before I could do anything with it.

Where do you all suggest I start to learn to use this poor neglected piece of equipment?

Go to a scrap yard and get a bunch of scrap and start welding.

I taught myself and am def not an expert but I got go od enough to make decent welds. Maybe put up acraigslist ad for lessons?

Make a joint then smash it apart with a bfh to see if it's strong enough

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #2138
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_ns View Post

Here is a thread about welding instruction books:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=books

The classic advice is to find a local college welding class.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #2139
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,579
Gas Fluxer

I am thinking of getting a Gas Fluxer for the Oxy Acetylene set to save the painting of flux on the job and the rod and the subsequent clean up. Anyone had any experience with these and or have any leads?

I have heard they chew up hoses and that needs to be considered, but other than that know little about them.

Cheers
Pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #2140
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Tig backer gas setup

Does anybody have pic of how you set up your backer gas. I don't want to buy another tank of argon, guages, or hoses to complete my set up.
I was thinking of maybe a tee that goes into the guage so that I can run the tig torch and supply the backer gas, is this possible? And where would I get a tee like this?

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #2141
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by booger1 View Post
Does anybody have pic of how you set up your backer gas. I don't want to buy another tank of argon, guages, or hoses to complete my set up.
I was thinking of maybe a tee that goes into the guage so that I can run the tig torch and supply the backer gas, is this possible? And where would I get a tee like this?

I'll take a pic when I get back to the shop early next week.

Your thinking is correct, I have two regulators tee-ed off one bottle.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #2142
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty View Post
I'll take a pic when I get back to the shop early next week.

Your thinking is correct, I have two regulators tee-ed off one bottle.
Thank you, that will be a big help.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #2143
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,348
A guestimate on the cost of some work

I have a Transalp, and the riding position has started to make my knees hurt (I'm 6'2" and wear 34" inseam pants).

Another inmate did the work described in this thread himself. Can anyone here give me even a rough idea of how much I would pay to have all these modifications made commercially?

Thanks
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #2144
Pike Bishop
Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer: 10,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by booger1 View Post

Western Enterprises WE-411-SP

About $22

You can put it just downstream of your regulator / flowmeter, or even just upstream of your torch (but downstream of your gas solenoid).
Pike Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #2145
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Pike.